28 Mar 2006 11:14:43
Matt
What is going on!

Have this team had a common sense bypass?

Cruising to victory but we're doing our best to throw this away.

Pietersen and Flintoff have an awful lot to answer for. Got us into a great
position but both guilty of throwing their wickets away.

As for Blackwell, WTF!, Harbhajan only has 7 more balls left and he holes
out on the boundary (yet another bloody sweep shot to boot) with only a tad
over 3 an over required.

Incredible!

Collingwood now gone too as I type this, oh dear!

28 Mar 2006 11:20:45
Richard Dixon
Re: What is going on!

"Matt" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Have this team had a common sense bypass?
>
> Cruising to victory but we're doing our best to throw this away.

Out of interest, are many people going to get into a flap should we lose
this one day series convincingly? I've never really been bothered by
fleeting one-dayers, I can never remember the results of a previous
summer's one day series!

Richard

28 Mar 2006 12:45:17
Matt
Re: What is going on!

"Richard Dixon" <[email protected]^spam^yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Have this team had a common sense bypass?
>>
>> Cruising to victory but we're doing our best to throw this away.
>
> Out of interest, are many people going to get into a flap should we lose
> this one day series convincingly? I've never really been bothered by
> fleeting one-dayers, I can never remember the results of a previous
> summer's one day series!
>
> Richard

Fair point Richard and I tend to agree for the run of the mill ODI games.

However, we don't seem to be improving at all and the next World Cup is only
12 months away.

At the moment we're heading for yet another embarrassment in that
competition when I believe people will care about the results.

28 Mar 2006 11:54:39
Richard Dixon
Re: What is going on!

"Matt" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> However, we don't seem to be improving at all and the next World Cup
> is only 12 months away.
>
> At the moment we're heading for yet another embarrassment in that
> competition when I believe people will care about the results.

I've never had much interest in the one day game full stop. Very good for
ooohs and aaahs - but I even struggle to get interested in the World Cup.

I noticed we folded quite easily today despite quite a long tail. I know
that Blackwell, Ali and Plunkett are capable of holding a bat unless I'm
very much mistaken.

Richard

28 Mar 2006 17:46:37
Ed Morris
Re: What is going on!

"Richard Dixon" <[email protected]^spam^yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> However, we don't seem to be improving at all and the next World Cup
>> is only 12 months away.
>>
>> At the moment we're heading for yet another embarrassment in that
>> competition when I believe people will care about the results.
>
> I've never had much interest in the one day game full stop. Very good for
> ooohs and aaahs - but I even struggle to get interested in the World Cup.
>
> I noticed we folded quite easily today despite quite a long tail. I know
> that Blackwell, Ali and Plunkett are capable of holding a bat unless I'm
> very much mistaken.
>
> Richard

Although Blackwell has never shown it for England. I suspect he may be a
good county pro but the step up to international level looks beyond him.

I think that your not liking the one day game much is a personal thing. I
really enjoy one day cricket. It's not test cricket and shouldn't be
compared, it's really a different sport altogether.

I wasn't keen on Twenty20 the first year, it didn't seem like real cricket.
I still know that it bears no comparison to test cricket but I enjoy it now
for what it is, and I also suspect that if there is a Twenty20 world
championship and England win it, it will do far more for the profile of the
game in this country than a world no 1 test ranking.
Ed Morris

29 Mar 2006 02:37:19
Alan OBrien
Re: What is going on!

"Richard Dixon" <[email protected]^spam^yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Have this team had a common sense bypass?
>>
>> Cruising to victory but we're doing our best to throw this away.
>
> Out of interest, are many people going to get into a flap should we lose
> this one day series convincingly? I've never really been bothered by
> fleeting one-dayers, I can never remember the results of a previous
> summer's one day series!

Exactly what I think - at least until the match is underway. As soon as it
is over it disappears from my memory as fast as a fart in a spacesuit.

29 Mar 2006 14:36:19
Sion Arrowsmith
Re: What is going on!

Ed Morris <[email protected] > wrote:
>Although Blackwell has never shown it for England. I suspect he may be a
>good county pro but the step up to international level looks beyond him.

That might well apply to his batting, and his test bowling is best
forgotten (yeah, I was one of the people who said he should be in
the side for the first test). But somehow his ODI bowling, while not
taking wickets, appears to be doing a fine job of containment. In
Pakistan:
38.0 3 162 4 40.50 3-29
he was the only England bowler to bowl more than 10 overs for less
than 5.0. And Tuesday's:
10.0 0 24 1 24.00
must have played a significant part in keeping India's score down to
something so gettable (hah!)

--
S -- [email protected] -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
___ | "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"

29 Mar 2006 06:23:20
BIGTOM
Re: What is going on!

Didn't think there was much wrong with Pietersen's approach. The ball
was there to be hit. Unfortunately picked out the fielder. Freddies
shot was poor. Sweeping at a ball pitched on the stumps. But despite
all that they were the top scorers.
Tom Atkinson

30 Mar 2006 19:53:26
Luke Curtis
Re: What is going on!

On 29 Mar 2006 06:23:20 -0800, "BIGTOM"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Didn't think there was much wrong with Pietersen's approach. The ball
>was there to be hit. Unfortunately picked out the fielder. Freddies
>shot was poor. Sweeping at a ball pitched on the stumps. But despite
>all that they were the top scorers.
>Tom Atkinson
I don't have a problem with Pietersen and Flintoff getting out, after
all it was playing that way that got us in such a great position.

I have a problem with the batsmen following not taking what was a
great position with virtually no pressure and pushing singles to
victory and instead slogging themselves out, Blackwell being the worst
offender, Singh only had 7 or so balls left FFS!
--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere! Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned! Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

31 Mar 2006 11:27:11
Sion Arrowsmith
Re: What is going on!

Luke Curtis <[email protected] > wrote:
>I don't have a problem with Pietersen and Flintoff getting out, after
>all it was playing that way that got us in such a great position.
>
>I have a problem with the batsmen following not taking what was a
>great position with virtually no pressure and pushing singles to
>victory and instead slogging themselves out, Blackwell being the worst
>offender, Singh only had 7 or so balls left FFS!

Absolutely. Pillorying Pietersen when he top scored, making more than
following batsmen (well, "all-rounders", although that might be being
a bit generous to Collingwood's bowling, Blackwell's batting, and Jones)
combined (or all the other batsmen excluding Flintoff down to and
including Blackwell) is a bit bizarre.