30 Nov 2006 15:37:40
Richard Dixon
Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
"favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
it's a farce.

Richard

01 Dec 2006 00:19:34
Cicero
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

"Richard Dixon" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
> sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
> "favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
> begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
> it's a farce.
>
> Richard

England won the toss and are batting.

01 Dec 2006 00:22:28
Tony Foster
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

"Richard Dixon" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
> sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
> "favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
> begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
> it's a farce.
>
> Richard

What team does anyone think would have been picked if Vaughan was captain?

01 Dec 2006 00:53:52
Tids

Richard Dixon wrote:
> The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
> sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
> "favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
> begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
> it's a farce.

I think even the pundits are surprised at Panesar being left out.

30 Nov 2006 18:48:47
Chris Hill

Richard Dixon wrote:
> The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
> sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
> "favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
> begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
> it's a farce.
>
> Richard

Fletcher bagged the Australian selectors as being "defensive" for only
picking Warne rather than two spinners. He then goes and picks a
defensive spinner that the Australian team has seen 100 times instead
of an attacking new one.

Chris

30 Nov 2006 20:47:52
Ramapriya D

Richard Dixon wrote:
> The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely sorry for the guy.
> Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his "favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this
> Test has even begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion it's a
> farce.
>
> Richard

Doesn't matter at the Adelaide Oval, which is basically a vehicle for
batters to up their averages ;)

I hope they remember to drop the spinner - something that Oz can't do,
given Warne's stature - at the WACA although your only alternative is
sadly Mahmood :p

Ramapriya

30 Nov 2006 21:26:55
Robt P

Richard Dixon wrote:

> The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
> sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
> "favourites"...........

"I feel like bashing my TV on the floor, chucking it into the
neighbours garden and then electrocuting myself! Fletcher is an idiot."

Mihir Mehta in the TMS inbox

Seems upset over selections :)

Cheers
Robt P.

01 Dec 2006 06:01:14
Sid
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

England currently at 244 for 2. (05.50 GMT)

I'm keeping my fingers.....and testicles crossed.

Sid

Richard Dixon wrote:
> The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
> sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
> "favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
> begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
> it's a farce.
>
> Richard

30 Nov 2006 22:09:48
Chris Hill

Sid wrote:
> England currently at 244 for 2. (05.50 GMT)
>
> I'm keeping my fingers.....and testicles crossed.
>
> Sid

Now at 179 for 3. Lost an additional wicket and lost 65 runs. Only
the English team could do that. :-)

Chris

01 Dec 2006 06:10:38
Luke Curtis
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

On 30 Nov 2006 15:37:40 -0800, "Richard Dixon" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
>sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
>"favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
>begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
>it's a farce.
>
>Richard
Ditto.
I wonder who Monty punched?!?!?!

That can seriously be the only reason why he wouldn't be picked, Giles
is *not* a batsman, high score is only 59 with an average of only 20,
you would think this was Afridi or Gayle they were bringing in the way
they rushed him back in with virtually no match pratice.

01 Dec 2006 21:07:59
Andrew Dunford
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

"Chris Hill" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Sid wrote:
>> England currently at 244 for 2. (05.50 GMT)
>>
>> I'm keeping my fingers.....and testicles crossed.
>>
>> Sid
>
> Now at 179 for 3. Lost an additional wicket and lost 65 runs. Only
> the English team could do that. :-)

You have the video tape in upside-down.

Andrew [England ends day one at 0 without loss]

01 Dec 2006 02:00:54

On Dec 1, 8:10 am, Luke Curtis <[email protected] > wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2006 15:37:40 -0800, "Richard Dixon" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
> >sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
> >"favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
> >begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
> >it's a farce.
> >Richard
> Ditto.
> I wonder who Monty punched?!?!?!
> That can seriously be the only reason why he wouldn't be picked, Giles
> is *not* a batsman, high score is only 59 with an average of only 20,
> you would think this was Afridi or Gayle they were bringing in the way
> they rushed him back in with virtually no match pratice.

It's an outrage, isn't it? England, one-duck down in the series, must
(flat track or no) win this one to remain in contention. The equaliser
has to come sooner rather than later, and now would be as good a time
as any.

Panesar is the best slow left-armer (indeed, finger spinner) in the
world today, a man who exudes a presence and energy off which his
evidently down-hearted and confidence-lacking team-mates can feed.

With all due respect to the King of Sp(a)in, he isn't fit to tie
Monty's boot-laces. Ashley Giles is the furthest thing from a
match-winner; at best, he saves matches, and a draw would do nothing
for England at the moment - it would only make the task harder. One
down with four to play sounds (and is) a helluva lot better than one
down with three to go - which is how it'll be in all likelihood (if not
worse), given the fact that Monty has been excluded once again.

I am not giving Panesar undue credit, nor do I believe that I am
over-rating the man here, for I feel that he would make an inestimable
difference to an already floundering Ashes campaign.

There was even some talk of playing both spinners in the build-up to
this Test, and, in retrospect, such suggestions were wholly justified.
It is a rare sight indeed to see Warnie with the ball on the first
morning of a Test Match - and an even rarer one at that to see him
get as much purchase on the first morning as he did here. With
Australia probably batting last on a wicket that, by then, will be a
veritable dust bowl, it would have been great to see Giles and Panesar
spinning webs around the Aussies on the last day.

Totsiens

01 Dec 2006 10:29:42
John Hall
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

In article <[email protected] >,
Tony Foster <[email protected] > writes:

>What team does anyone think would have been picked if Vaughan was captain?

Assuming that Vaughan would have had more influence on selection than
Flintoff does, I think Panesar would have played. A journalist made a
good point in an article that I read a year or so ago, when he said that
Vaughan's willingness to take risks was a good counterbalance to
Fletcher's caution.
--
John Hall
"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable

01 Dec 2006 10:31:09
John Hall

Ramapriya D <[email protected] > writes:
>I hope they remember to drop the spinner - something that Oz can't do,
>given Warne's stature - at the WACA although your only alternative is
>sadly Mahmood :p

I thought that the WACA was no longer supposed to have the pace and
bounce of old, and that spinners were now much more likely to play a
part there.
--
John Hall
"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable
of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it."
Sir Thomas Beecham (1879-1961) to a lady cellist

01 Dec 2006 16:47:05
RIO
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Dec 1, 8:10 am, Luke Curtis <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 30 Nov 2006 15:37:40 -0800, "Richard Dixon" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> >The cautious approach yet again and no place for Monty. Feel extremely
>> >sorry for the guy. Fletcher is as bad as Eriksson with his
>> >"favourites". Knocks the stuffing out of me before this Test has even
>> >begun - I hope England can prove me wrong, but in my humble opinion
>> >it's a farce.
>> >Richard
>> Ditto.
>> I wonder who Monty punched?!?!?!
>> That can seriously be the only reason why he wouldn't be picked, Giles
>> is *not* a batsman, high score is only 59 with an average of only 20,
>> you would think this was Afridi or Gayle they were bringing in the way
>> they rushed him back in with virtually no match pratice.
>
> It's an outrage, isn't it? England, one-duck down in the series, must
> (flat track or no) win this one to remain in contention. The equaliser
> has to come sooner rather than later, and now would be as good a time
> as any.
>
> Panesar is the best slow left-armer (indeed, finger spinner) in the
> world today, a man who exudes a presence and energy off which his
> evidently down-hearted and confidence-lacking team-mates can feed.
>
> With all due respect to the King of Sp(a)in, he isn't fit to tie
> Monty's boot-laces. Ashley Giles is the furthest thing from a
> match-winner; at best, he saves matches, and a draw would do nothing
> for England at the moment - it would only make the task harder. One
> down with four to play sounds (and is) a helluva lot better than one
> down with three to go - which is how it'll be in all likelihood (if not
> worse), given the fact that Monty has been excluded once again.
>
> I am not giving Panesar undue credit, nor do I believe that I am
> over-rating the man here, for I feel that he would make an inestimable
> difference to an already floundering Ashes campaign.
>
> There was even some talk of playing both spinners in the build-up to
> this Test, and, in retrospect, such suggestions were wholly justified.
> It is a rare sight indeed to see Warnie with the ball on the first
> morning of a Test Match - and an even rarer one at that to see him
> get as much purchase on the first morning as he did here. With
> Australia probably batting last on a wicket that, by then, will be a
> veritable dust bowl, it would have been great to see Giles and Panesar
> spinning webs around the Aussies on the last day.
>
> Totsiens

"Panesar is the best slow left-armer (indeed, finger spinner) in the world
today"

That was said by someone else in the summer - now who was it???? Yes I
remember Duncan Fletcher (who's he?)

Rio

01 Dec 2006 17:30:51
David North
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

"Tony Foster" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> What team does anyone think would have been picked if Vaughan was captain?

Quite possibly one not including Collingwood. :o(

--
David North

01 Dec 2006 15:09:01

On Dec 1, 6:47 pm, "RIO" <[email protected] > wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
> > On Dec 1, 8:10 am, Luke Curtis <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Ditto.
> >> I wonder who Monty punched?!?!?!
> >> That can seriously be the only reason why he wouldn't be picked, Giles
> >> is *not* a batsman, high score is only 59 with an average of only 20,
> >> you would think this was Afridi or Gayle they were bringing in the way
> >> they rushed him back in with virtually no match pratice.
> > It's an outrage, isn't it? England, one-duck down in the series, must
> > (flat track or no) win this one to remain in contention. The equaliser
> > has to come sooner rather than later, and now would be as good a time
> > as any.
> > Panesar is the best slow left-armer (indeed, finger spinner) in the
> > world today, a man who exudes a presence and energy off which his
> > evidently down-hearted and confidence-lacking team-mates can feed.
> > With all due respect to the King of Sp(a)in, he isn't fit to tie
> > Monty's boot-laces. Ashley Giles is the furthest thing from a
> > match-winner; at best, he saves matches, and a draw would do nothing
> > for England at the moment - it would only make the task harder. One
> > down with four to play sounds (and is) a helluva lot better than one
> > down with three to go - which is how it'll be in all likelihood (if not
> > worse), given the fact that Monty has been excluded once again.
> > I am not giving Panesar undue credit, nor do I believe that I am
> > over-rating the man here, for I feel that he would make an inestimable
> > difference to an already floundering Ashes campaign.
> > There was even some talk of playing both spinners in the build-up to
> > this Test, and, in retrospect, such suggestions were wholly justified.
> > It is a rare sight indeed to see Warnie with the ball on the first
> > morning of a Test Match - and an even rarer one at that to see him
> > get as much purchase on the first morning as he did here. With
> > Australia probably batting last on a wicket that, by then, will be a
> > veritable dust bowl, it would have been great to see Giles and Panesar
> > spinning webs around the Aussies on the last day.
> > Totsiens
> "Panesar is the best slow left-armer (indeed, finger spinner) in the world
> today"
> That was said by someone else in the summer - now who was it???? Yes I
> remember Duncan Fletcher (who's he?)

So, in other words, Fletcher does not want the to have "the best slow
left-armer (indeed, finger spinner) in the world today" in his side?
Bless him...

02 Dec 2006 14:47:13
Mad Hamish
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:30:51 -0000, "David North"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>"Tony Foster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>>
>> What team does anyone think would have been picked if Vaughan was captain?
>
>Quite possibly one not including Collingwood. :o(

Sounds good to me.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
[email protected]

02 Dec 2006 03:51:39
Ramapriya D

John Hall wrote:

> I thought that the WACA was no longer supposed to have the pace and
> bounce of old, and that spinners were now much more likely to play a part there.

> Wow, that's news! Anyone here who's seen a match at the WACA this season?

Ramapriya

02 Dec 2006 19:04:43
David North
Re: Unchanged line-up for 2nd Test

"Ramapriya D" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> John Hall wrote:
>>
>> I thought that the WACA was no longer supposed to have the pace and
>> bounce of old, and that spinners were now much more likely to play a part
>> there.
>

>> Wow, that's news! Anyone here who's seen a match at the WACA this season?

In the last FC match there, Brad Hogg (SLC) and Andrew Symonds (OB) took
five wickets apiece, although Mitchell Johnson (LFM) had the best figures
with 7-115.

Previously, Aaron Heal (SLA) took 5-125 and 10-160 in the first two matches
of the season. OTOH, in the first match, Victoria's LBG pairing, Warne and
Cameron White, took 2-223 between them.
--
David North