11 Nov 2004 22:52:20
alex.langley
The weirdest game you have ever witnessed

Mine has to be the semi final of the Liverpool Echo Cup last year Bootle -v
New Brighton, due to various people turning up late I seem to remember it
began late, a storm half way through causing the players to come off for 20
mins and the spectators not being phyically able to see the end of the game
due to darkness (let alone the players).
--
toffeeman1

12 Nov 2004 06:31:03
Robert Henderson
Re: The weirdest game you have ever witnessed

In article <[email protected] >, alex.langley
<[email protected] > writes
>Mine has to be the semi final of the Liverpool Echo Cup last year Bootle -v
>New Brighton, due to various people turning up late I seem to remember it
>began late, a storm half way through causing the players to come off for 20
>mins and the spectators not being phyically able to see the end of the game
>due to darkness (let alone the players).
>--
>toffeeman1

I once played an entire game in rain. We fielded first and to start
with it was fine drizzle and the captain said "Might as well play lads,
it'll soon stop" . By the end of the innings we had gradually progressed
to heavy rain. Having suffered ourselves for several hours, we insisted
our opponents took the field.

Bowling was a nightmare with such a wet ball and the best one could
hope for was to pitch somewhere near the wicket. Against that batsmen
were distracted by the rain. I got three LBWs with full pitches. RH

--
Robert Henderson
[email protected]

12 Nov 2004 08:59:08
Andy Leighton
Re: The weirdest game you have ever witnessed

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:31:03 +0000,
Robert Henderson <[email protected] > wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, alex.langley
><[email protected]> writes
>>Mine has to be the semi final of the Liverpool Echo Cup last year Bootle -v
>>New Brighton, due to various people turning up late I seem to remember it
>>began late, a storm half way through causing the players to come off for 20
>>mins and the spectators not being phyically able to see the end of the game
>>due to darkness (let alone the players).
>>

> I once played an entire game in rain. We fielded first and to start
> with it was fine drizzle and the captain said "Might as well play lads,
> it'll soon stop" . By the end of the innings we had gradually progressed
> to heavy rain.

When I was young I saw my dad play in such a game. One of our batsmen
went in and after the first ball called for an umbrella and continued to
bat one-handed.

--
Andy Leighton = > [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

12 Nov 2004 13:36:02
Rob
Re: The weirdest game you have ever witnessed

"alex.langley" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Mine has to be the semi final of the Liverpool Echo Cup last year
> Bootle -v
> New Brighton, due to various people turning up late I seem to remember it
> began late, a storm half way through causing the players to come off for
> 20
> mins and the spectators not being phyically able to see the end of the
> game
> due to darkness (let alone the players).
> --
> toffeeman1

Weirdest one I've seen was a Lancs v Surrey one dayer very early in 1993.
Surrey needed about 20 to win with masses of time and eight wickets in hand.
They lost by about 3 runs as I recall (bowled out).

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1993/ENG_LOCAL/B+H/SURREY_LANCS_B+H-R1_11MAY1993.html

Weirdest one I played in was at Uni against Loughborough (I think). We
made about 80 all out in 20 overs with the last pair batting for about 12+
overs creeping the score up. Their top order collapsed and they were 50/7
odd then their 8 and 9 batted absolutely sublimely looked in no trouble at
all. Two balls kept low, one reared and we won by about 5 runs. No way
could you blame the pitch given naff batsmen had existed for the majority of
the game in little trouble.