27 Nov 2006 20:22:31
Robt P
Graham Roope.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2006/11/28/db2801.xml

One of the greatest slip catchers....fine bat too.

Cheers
Robt P.

28 Nov 2006 05:36:03
Robert Henderson
Re: Graham Roope.......

In message <[email protected] >, Robt
P <[email protected] > writes
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/
>2006/11/28/db2801.xml
>
>One of the greatest slip catchers..

The best English slip I have seen apart from Phil Sharp. A good example
of lost all rounder. Roppe was an outstanding schoolboy allrounder and
when he first came to Surrey bowled fastish right arm. Surrey did the
usual with talented English allrounders and made him more or less drop
his bowling. RH

--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/

28 Nov 2006 13:25:35
Andy Guthrie
Re: Graham Roope.......

Robt P wrote:
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2006/11/28/db2801.xml
>
> One of the greatest slip catchers....fine bat too.

I was there at the Oval 1977, memorable also for Mick Malone's 5/63 off
47 overs (out of 102) in I think his only test.

Can anybody explain the phrase "perhaps he was vulnerable against
extreme pace, and it did not necessarily help that he liked to accompany
fast bowlers back to their mark". Did he walk down the pitch or something ?

28 Nov 2006 17:44:19
John Hall
Re: Graham Roope.......

In article <[email protected] >,
Robt P <[email protected] > writes:
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news
>/2006/11/28/db2801.xml

That's sad news.

>One of the greatest slip catchers....fine bat too.

Indeed. He was one of my favourite players, not just because he played
for Surrey but because he always looked as though he was enjoying
himself, something that was unfortunately rather rare back in the 1970s.

I can still reel off the names of the Surrey side that won the
Championship in 1971: Edrich, Edwards, M Stewart, Younis Ahmed, Roope,
Storey, Intikhab Alam, Long, Arnold, Jackman, Pocock. (With some
appearances by Willis.) With Long to keep wicket, Storey at first slip,
Roope at second slip and Edwards at short leg, not many close to the
wicket chances went begging. I think that Roope is the first of that
side to go, even though he was nowhere near the eldest.
--
John Hall
"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable

28 Nov 2006 19:14:53
David Lewis
Re: Graham Roope.......

"Robt P" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2006/11/28/db2801.xml

> One of the greatest slip catchers....fine bat too.
>
> Cheers
> Robt P.

I remember his test appearances in the 70's mainly, as it says in the
article, for getting out of the way of Boycott's straight drive to bring up
his 100th 100.
Terribly young to go like that.

David

29 Nov 2006 12:53:59
Robert Henderson
Re: Graham Roope.......

In message <NU%[email protected] >, David
Lewis <[email protected] > writes

>"Robt P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>>
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/
>2006/11/28/db2801.xml
>>
>> One of the greatest slip catchers....fine bat too.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Robt P.
>
>I remember his test appearances in the 70's mainly, as it says in the
>article, for getting out of the way of Boycott's straight drive to bring up
>his 100th 100.
>Terribly young to go like that.
>
>David

I saw his fc debut for Surrey in 1964 - they signed him up after the
representative schools matches at Lords. He batted number 7 and (I
think) opened the bowling. rH
--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/
Personal website: http://www.anywhere.demon.co.uk

30 Nov 2006 02:22:06
Mad Hamish
Re: Graham Roope.......

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:25:35 GMT, Andy Guthrie
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Robt P wrote:
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2006/11/28/db2801.xml
>>
>> One of the greatest slip catchers....fine bat too.
>>

>I was there at the Oval 1977, memorable also for Mick Malone's 5/63 off
>47 overs (out of 102) in I think his only test.
>
>Can anybody explain the phrase "perhaps he was vulnerable against
>extreme pace, and it did not necessarily help that he liked to accompany
>fast bowlers back to their mark". Did he walk down the pitch or something ?

I'd assume it means he was almost entirely a front foot player.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
[email protected]

02 Dec 2006 12:00:13
David North
Re: Graham Roope.......

"Robert Henderson" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I saw his fc debut for Surrey in 1964 - they signed him up after the
> representative schools matches at Lords. He batted number 7 and (I think)
> opened the bowling. rH

Close - he did open the bowling, but batted at 8.

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/27/27097.html

--
David North