23 Nov 2006 07:06:56
Sid
Australia are winning...

...and they're not even trying.

I always considered that if Giles was the best spin bowler
England could muster, then they have some pretty
shithouse bowlers.

None of the bowlers have impressed. Harmiston sprays
balls all about the place. He fails to gain any advantsge
from his height. To me he looks totally uncoordinated
as if he has a problem with gross motor skills.

Panesar should have been selected simply as a means
of evaluating his worth. At least he would have
provided much more crowd enjoyment.

Sid.

23 Nov 2006 10:04:23
Luke Curtis
Re: Australia are winning...

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 07:06:56 GMT, Sid <[email protected] > wrote:

>...and they're not even trying.

Wait for 2 complete innings to be complete before judging the match,
the phrases I heard in abudance today were no spin, no seam, no
movement, it seems to me Bangladesh could have scored 300/3 on that
deck.

>I always considered that if Giles was the best spin bowler
>England could muster, then they have some pretty
>shithouse bowlers.
Panesar is the best spin bowler in England, ask Duncan Fletcher why he
didn't play....

>None of the bowlers have impressed. Harmiston sprays
>balls all about the place. He fails to gain any advantsge
>from his height. To me he looks totally uncoordinated
>as if he has a problem with gross motor skills.
1 match aside he has been shit for the best part of a year but as Old
Trafford this year proved (6/19 and 5/57) whe does click he can be
lethal.

>Panesar should have been selected simply as a means
>of evaluating his worth. At least he would have
>provided much more crowd enjoyment.

>Sid.

23 Nov 2006 13:51:42
woodsy
Re: Australia are winning...

"Luke Curtis" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 07:06:56 GMT, Sid <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>...and they're not even trying.
>
> Wait for 2 complete innings to be complete before judging the match,
> the phrases I heard in abudance today were no spin, no seam, no
> movement, it seems to me Bangladesh could have scored 300/3 on that
> deck.

given the shit the bowlers were dishing up (flintoff excluded), that would
harldy suprise...

23 Nov 2006 06:02:22
Ramapriya D
Re: Australia are winning...

woodsy wrote:

> given the shit the bowlers were dishing up (flintoff excluded), that would harldy suprise...

The only one whose bowling fits that description was Anderson's.
Hoggard and Giles' bowling could be termed ineffectual. Wonder what
happened to Harmison, though... not enough bowling in the nets
following the side strain, probably?

Ramapriya

23 Nov 2006 16:01:49
Colin Reed
Re: Australia are winning...

Ramapriya D wrote:
> woodsy wrote:
>>
>> given the shit the bowlers were dishing up (flintoff excluded), that
>> would harldy suprise...
>

> The only one whose bowling fits that description was Anderson's.
> Hoggard and Giles' bowling could be termed ineffectual. Wonder what
> happened to Harmison, though... not enough bowling in the nets
> following the side strain, probably?
>
> Ramapriya

That might explain this match. How do you explain the whole of last season
(give or take a couple of exceptions)?

23 Nov 2006 09:17:01
Ramapriya D
Re: Australia are winning...

Colin Reed wrote:

> > The only one whose bowling fits that description was Anderson's.
> > Hoggard and Giles' bowling could be termed ineffectual. Wonder what
> > happened to Harmison, though... not enough bowling in the nets
> > following the side strain, probably?
> >
> > Ramapriya
>
> That might explain this match. How do you explain the whole of last season
> (give or take a couple of exceptions)?

Not disagreeing with you as such but in his last 15 Tests, he's
averaged 31 with an SR of 56, which aren't too different from his
overall figures of 29 and 55. He's a good bowler, probably very good,
but certainly not yet in the category that you'd believe if you read
the English press. Too much importance paid to his ability to maim
batters and make them hop, imo; you need more than that to graduate to
the 'great' category.

A lot being made of his first delivery today too... I remember a
similar amount of coverage to one humongous bouncer that Ambrose bowled
(in 95?) in Edgbaston or TB beating even the wk :)

Ramapriya

24 Nov 2006 11:15:58
Colin Reed
Re: Australia are winning...

"Ramapriya D" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Colin Reed wrote:
>> >
>> > The only one whose bowling fits that description was Anderson's.
>> > Hoggard and Giles' bowling could be termed ineffectual. Wonder what
>> > happened to Harmison, though... not enough bowling in the nets
>> > following the side strain, probably?
>> >
>> > Ramapriya
>>
>> That might explain this match. How do you explain the whole of last
>> season
>> (give or take a couple of exceptions)?
>

> Not disagreeing with you as such but in his last 15 Tests, he's
> averaged 31 with an SR of 56, which aren't too different from his
> overall figures of 29 and 55. He's a good bowler, probably very good,
> but certainly not yet in the category that you'd believe if you read
> the English press. Too much importance paid to his ability to maim
> batters and make them hop, imo; you need more than that to graduate to
> the 'great' category.
>
> A lot being made of his first delivery today too... I remember a
> similar amount of coverage to one humongous bouncer that Ambrose bowled
> (in 95?) in Edgbaston or TB beating even the wk :)
>
> Ramapriya

It was Edgbaston - I remember watching it as I lived in Birmingham at the
time. However, that was the pitch from Hell for the English batsmen and I
remember the look of glee on Ambrose's face when he saw that ball take off.
Given it was short of a length but the steepling bounce of that pitch was as
if it had been laid especially for the WI's. Match lasted less than 3 full
days IIRC.

Regarding Harmi's figures, I wonder how they look when you take out the
couple of "exceptions". The thing is that with his height and pace, when he
does get it right on a good track then his match figures are usually
exceptional. Then he has a run of matches of dross and his figures average
out to something, well....average. I haven't actually done the maths on
this - I'm sure some resident statto can if it's really of interest. What
were his figures like during the SL and Pak series when you take out the one
test where he skittled the opposition on a seamers' track?

24 Nov 2006 19:31:56
David Lewis
Re: Australia are winning...

"Colin Reed" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Ramapriya D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> >> That might explain this match. How do you explain the whole of last
> >> season
> >> (give or take a couple of exceptions)?
> >

> > Not disagreeing with you as such but in his last 15 Tests, he's
> > averaged 31 with an SR of 56, which aren't too different from his
> > overall figures of 29 and 55. He's a good bowler, probably very good,
> > but certainly not yet in the category that you'd believe if you read
> > the English press. Too much importance paid to his ability to maim
> > batters and make them hop, imo; you need more than that to graduate to
> > the 'great' category.
> >
> > A lot being made of his first delivery today too... I remember a
> > similar amount of coverage to one humongous bouncer that Ambrose bowled
> > (in 95?) in Edgbaston or TB beating even the wk :)
> >
> > Ramapriya
> >

> It was Edgbaston - I remember watching it as I lived in Birmingham at the
> time. However, that was the pitch from Hell for the English batsmen and I
> remember the look of glee on Ambrose's face when he saw that ball take
off.
> Given it was short of a length but the steepling bounce of that pitch was
as
> if it had been laid especially for the WI's. Match lasted less than 3
full
> days IIRC.
>
> Regarding Harmi's figures, I wonder how they look when you take out the
> couple of "exceptions". The thing is that with his height and pace, when
he
> does get it right on a good track then his match figures are usually
> exceptional. Then he has a run of matches of dross and his figures
average
> out to something, well....average. I haven't actually done the maths on
> this - I'm sure some resident statto can if it's really of interest. What
> were his figures like during the SL and Pak series when you take out the
one
> test where he skittled the opposition on a seamers' track?

He didn't play against SL, but during the other 3 tests against Pakistan he
was dreadful. I can tell you that over the last 2 years, if you stick to
real tests (i.e. not Bangladesh) he now averages approaching 38.

I didn't see it, but I heard that whereas yesterday his team-mates were
doing the sympathy thing, today there was an air of "FFS" and they generally
left him to it. The irony is that one of the reasons for Fred being captain
was that he might get the best out of his mate Harmy. Judging by his
unwillingness to give him the 2nd new ball on Day 1 or even start with him
on day 2, it looks like he's had more than enough already. And I for one
wouldn't argue with him.

Cheers

David

25 Nov 2006 02:45:22