16 Feb 2006 09:47:40
Richard Dixon
And they call themselves professional international cricketers...

Couldn't help smiling at the bowl-off in the 20-20 between NZ and WI. 12
consecutive deliveries missing the stumps !

Richard

First ball up, Astle misses the stump, just went past the off
stump
Second ball from Astle, again in the corridoor of uncertainty,
misses teh off stump again
Its going to be Dwayne Smith who will take a crack at the stumps
for West Indies
Dwayne Smith bwols way down the legside, no help to his team this
delivery
Down the leg stump again, After the first round, both teams are
yet
to hit
Jeetan Patel for NZ now, bowling spin and misses outside off stump
Jeetan Patel with his second ball misses again outside off stump
Chris Gayle called in to bowl
Gayle bowls medium pace misses outside off stump
Chris Gayle with his second ball comes around wicket medium pace
and misses outside off stump
Chris Cairns, in his final international encoutner has been handed
the ball
Chris Cairns first ball misses outside off stump
Cairns' second delivery, down the leg side again
We've had two rounds now and not a single bowler has hit the
stumps
Jerome Taylor has been handed the ball now
Taylor's first ball misses the offstump
Taylors second ball misses again outside off
Shane Bond handed the ball now
Shane Bond strikes! first ball crashes into the stumps, hits
middle
stump and puts New Zealand 1-0 up
Second ball from Shane Bond, full toss smashes the middle stump
again, its New Zealand 2-0 up now!
Bradshaw handed the ball now, first delivery slides down the leg
stump
Second ball misses down the leg
Styris given the ball
He just needs to hit one for New Zealand to win
Styris's first ball hits the middle stump and New Zealand pull off
a fantastic win in bowl off

16 Feb 2006 22:14:58
Alan OBrien
Re: And they call themselves professional international cricketers...

"Richard Dixon" <[email protected]^spam^yahoo.co.uk > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Couldn't help smiling at the bowl-off in the 20-20 between NZ and WI. 12
> consecutive deliveries missing the stumps !
>
> Richard
>
> First ball up, Astle misses the stump, just went past the off
> stump
> Second ball from Astle, again in the corridoor of uncertainty,
> misses teh off stump again
> Its going to be Dwayne Smith who will take a crack at the stumps
> for West Indies
> Dwayne Smith bwols way down the legside, no help to his team this
> delivery
> Down the leg stump again, After the first round, both teams are
> yet
> to hit
> Jeetan Patel for NZ now, bowling spin and misses outside off stump
> Jeetan Patel with his second ball misses again outside off stump
> Chris Gayle called in to bowl
> Gayle bowls medium pace misses outside off stump
> Chris Gayle with his second ball comes around wicket medium pace
> and misses outside off stump
> Chris Cairns, in his final international encoutner has been handed
> the ball
> Chris Cairns first ball misses outside off stump
> Cairns' second delivery, down the leg side again
> We've had two rounds now and not a single bowler has hit the
> stumps
> Jerome Taylor has been handed the ball now
> Taylor's first ball misses the offstump
> Taylors second ball misses again outside off
> Shane Bond handed the ball now
> Shane Bond strikes! first ball crashes into the stumps, hits
> middle
> stump and puts New Zealand 1-0 up
> Second ball from Shane Bond, full toss smashes the middle stump
> again, its New Zealand 2-0 up now!
> Bradshaw handed the ball now, first delivery slides down the leg
> stump
> Second ball misses down the leg
> Styris given the ball
> He just needs to hit one for New Zealand to win
> Styris's first ball hits the middle stump and New Zealand pull off
> a fantastic win in bowl off

I suppose it does seem pretty poor, but I think bowlers rarely aim to bowl
directly at the stumps. Don't they usually bowl to just outside off?

Statham or Alderman or Lillee or Holding - and most especially Garner -
would be good at it.

If you compare it to penalties at soccerball then I think the success rate
is very high. In soccerball you have quite a big ball aimed at a colossal
target - admittedly with a 'keeper - from only 10 metres; (instead of a
small ball aimed at a small target from 20 metres) yet people paid *gasp*
60,000 a week fail even to get the ball on target!

I would prefer a Colin Bland-like 3-stump run-out-athon. Bowl-outs are
incredibly embarassing for cricket.

Alan.

16 Feb 2006 22:39:19
max.it
Re: And they call themselves professional international cricketers...

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:14:58 GMT, "Alan OBrien"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>"Richard Dixon" <[email protected]^spam^yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Couldn't help smiling at the bowl-off in the 20-20 between NZ and WI. 12
>> consecutive deliveries missing the stumps !
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> First ball up, Astle misses the stump, just went past the off
>> stump
>> Second ball from Astle, again in the corridoor of uncertainty,
>> misses teh off stump again
>> Its going to be Dwayne Smith who will take a crack at the stumps
>> for West Indies
>> Dwayne Smith bwols way down the legside, no help to his team this
>> delivery
>> Down the leg stump again, After the first round, both teams are
>> yet
>> to hit
>> Jeetan Patel for NZ now, bowling spin and misses outside off stump
>> Jeetan Patel with his second ball misses again outside off stump
>> Chris Gayle called in to bowl
>> Gayle bowls medium pace misses outside off stump
>> Chris Gayle with his second ball comes around wicket medium pace
>> and misses outside off stump
>> Chris Cairns, in his final international encoutner has been handed
>> the ball
>> Chris Cairns first ball misses outside off stump
>> Cairns' second delivery, down the leg side again
>> We've had two rounds now and not a single bowler has hit the
>> stumps
>> Jerome Taylor has been handed the ball now
>> Taylor's first ball misses the offstump
>> Taylors second ball misses again outside off
>> Shane Bond handed the ball now
>> Shane Bond strikes! first ball crashes into the stumps, hits
>> middle
>> stump and puts New Zealand 1-0 up
>> Second ball from Shane Bond, full toss smashes the middle stump
>> again, its New Zealand 2-0 up now!
>> Bradshaw handed the ball now, first delivery slides down the leg
>> stump
>> Second ball misses down the leg
>> Styris given the ball
>> He just needs to hit one for New Zealand to win
>> Styris's first ball hits the middle stump and New Zealand pull off
>> a fantastic win in bowl off
>
>I suppose it does seem pretty poor, but I think bowlers rarely aim to bowl
>directly at the stumps. Don't they usually bowl to just outside off?
>
>Statham or Alderman or Lillee or Holding - and most especially Garner -
>would be good at it.
>
>If you compare it to penalties at soccerball then I think the success rate
>is very high. In soccerball you have quite a big ball aimed at a colossal
>target - admittedly with a 'keeper - from only 10 metres; (instead of a
>small ball aimed at a small target from 20 metres) yet people paid *gasp*
>60,000 a week fail even to get the ball on target!
>
>I would prefer a Colin Bland-like 3-stump run-out-athon. Bowl-outs are
>incredibly embarassing for cricket.
>
>Alan.

I vote for these tied matches to be decided by.......
Non stop cricket.
One batsman running to stumps at 90 degrees 10 metres away and back
again. The bowler can bowl regardless of where the batsman is.
The batsman can only be bowled, caught or run out by the keeper who is
at the non striking stumps. Every one must bowl if needed and every
one must bat.
If the scores are tied then reverse the order and do it again.

much more fun than a bowl out, and includes more cricket skills.
I known it's frantic mayhem, but it goes with the twenty / 20 style.

max.it

17 Feb 2006 08:54:56
Richard Dixon
Re: And they call themselves professional international cricketers...

"Alan OBrien" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> If you compare it to penalties at soccerball then I think the success
> rate is very high. In soccerball you have quite a big ball aimed at a
> colossal target - admittedly with a 'keeper - from only 10 metres;
> (instead of a small ball aimed at a small target from 20 metres) yet
> people paid *gasp* 60,000 a week fail even to get the ball on target!

I suppose you have to factor in the tension in both the cricket and
football sudden death things that can turn you into a jibbering wreck.
Although footballers do have a lot going on in their mind preventing them
to be able to concentrate on kicking a ball like "What car am I going to
buy next?", "Which nightclub will it be tonight?", "I hope that blonde
doesn't go to the press about my night of passion with her before the big
match last week", so you have to have sympathy...

Richard

17 Feb 2006 09:08:14

Richard Dixon wrote:

> Although footballers do have a lot going on in their mind

That presupposes that the footballers have a mind to begin with.

17 Feb 2006 08:18:37
Don Miles
Re: And they call themselves professional international cricketers...

In message <[email protected] >, Alan OBrien
<[email protected] > writes
>I suppose it does seem pretty poor, but I think bowlers rarely aim to
>bowl directly at the stumps. Don't they usually bowl to just outside
>off?

I noticed one of our internationals hit a single stump three times in a
row during a warm-up last season. When I mentioned it to her she said
she couldn't quite believe it herself and quit after three deliveries
while she was ahead. She didn't make any greater mark on the game than
any of the others later ...

When joking around, the player they would throw the ball to to try this
out (we've not had a bowl out at international level - not sure about
club) was Clare Taylor (Yorkshire). She was the Shackleton (spelling?)
type of bowler - remember him? I reckon she'd hit more often than not
... a single stump that is. I am frankly amazed at the kiwis and WIs
from the account given earlier in this thread - does seem truly
remarkable.

Don
--
Don Miles
For Women's Cricket on the Web : www.webbsoc.demon.co.uk

18 Feb 2006 00:58:47
Richard Dixon
Re: And they call themselves professional international cricketers...

[email protected] wrote in news:1140196094.399456.41840
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> That presupposes that the footballers have a mind to begin with.

I think you missed the irony in the rest of my post !!

Richard

19 Feb 2006 10:18:31
Robert Henderson
Re: And they call themselves professional international cricketers...

In message <[email protected] >, Alan OBrien
<[email protected] > writes
>I suppose it does seem pretty poor, but I think bowlers rarely aim to
>bowl directly at the stumps. Don't they usually bowl to just outside
>off?

Add in the stress of bowling under those conditions plus the strangeness
of bowling at an unguarded wicket, and the misses are not that
surprising. I also suspect that many bowlers would not bowl naturally in
that situation, ie, they probably try to bowl slower or fuller etc. RH
--
Robert Henderson
Blair Scandal website: http://www.geocities.com/blairscandal/