27 May 2006 03:46:21
Steve Watson
Sad News - Taz

Sincere condolences to Gavin, family and friends.
Especially those out there with her when the tragedy occurred.

Steve&Nicole

Skydiver killed in mid-air collision.

A record-holding parachutist drowned after a freak accident with her
best friend
Tamsin Causer, 32, was knocked unconscious after hitting her head
against Maria Russell's knee, seconds after opening her parachute.
She drowned after falling into the sea. Maria, 27, landed in a campsite
and was last night being treated in hospital.

The two women were part of a 17-strong group performing a formation
jump above the town of Empuriabrava, near Girona in northeast Spain,
just after midday yesterday.

Tamsin, who lived in Warfield, near Bracknell, Berkshire, and was known
as "Taz" to fellow skydivers, had been pursuing work as a
stuntwoman.

A spokesman for SkyDive Empuriabrava, which helped to organise the
jump, said last night that it was an "absolute tragedy". He added:
"It seems that Maria's leg accidentally smashed into Tamsin's
head as they opened their parachutes.

"Tamsin was knocked unconscious, and drifted towards the sea before
landing in the water. We believe she drowned while she was still
unconscious.

"Maria is uninjured but in a terrible state of shock and is being
monitored in hospital. Their boyfriends were on the ground, watching at
the time. I can't imagine what Tamsin's boyfriend is going through,
let alone Maria."

Tamsin's body was recovered from the Mediterranean by members of the
parachute team, who tried in vain to revive her.

A spokesman for the Mossos d'Esquadra, the area's police force,
said: "We are still investigating but everything at this stage is
pointing towards a tragic accident."

Both women were experienced parachutists, and each had made more than
900 jumps.

Ms Causer, who was born in Karachi, Pakistan, was renowned in the
skydiving community after she became the first person to hold four
world records simultaneously. A marketing development manager, she had
achieved all three in the same year. She gained her first record in
September last year as part of a team of 151 women, who broke the
record for the largest formation dive. They also raised =A3500,000 for
charity.

Two months later she was part of the team that claimed the record for
canopy formation, after 84 jumpers linked up in mid-air. In Thailand in
February, Ms Causer took part in a 400-strong for-mation attempt, which
was held as part of the diamond jubilee celebrations of King Bhumibol
Adulyadej of Thailand.

Her final record was gained three days later, when she joined 959 other
jumpers in an unlinked freefall, to coincide with the opening of an
airport in Bangkok. According to her biography, published on a cancer
charity website, for which she raised thousands of pounds, her hobbies
included kickboxing, horse riding, skiing, fencing, motorbiking,
trampolining and scuba diving.

As well as pursuing her dream of becoming a stuntwoman, she had been
working for OKI Printers Europe.

In an interview with the Maidenhead Advertiser in February, Ms Causer
said that she was often joined on jumps by her partner, Gavin McLeod.
Speaking to the paper after she achieved her fourth record, she said:
"I'm spent - no more records for me for a while now. I am the
only person in the whole world to hold so many skydiving records."

No one at her family home could be contacted last night.

Chris Needles, of the United States Parachute Association, told The
Times that Ms Causer's world records were a remarkable feat. He added
that she would be greatly missed.

27 May 2006 07:56:22
Re: Sad News - Taz

I am absolutely gutted to hear this. She was a woman of example and a
nice person. I remember competing against her in Wild Geese a few years
ago.

Tamsin, you will be missed by me and many many others...

Simon

29 May 2006 05:13:32
Steve Watson
Re: Sad News - Taz

I'm still quite stunned by this, and don't really know what to say.

Here's a web site that Marcie Lovell has made for Taz.

http://www.crwdiva.org/taz-memorial/

Fondest memories.

Steve&Nicole

[email protected] wrote:
> I am absolutely gutted to hear this. She was a woman of example and a
> nice person. I remember competing against her in Wild Geese a few years
> ago.
>
> Tamsin, you will be missed by me and many many others...
>
> Simon

30 May 2006 11:43:58
HooDooWitch
Re: Sad News - Taz

On 29 May 2006 05:13:32 -0700, "Steve Watson"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>I'm still quite stunned by this, and don't really know what to say.
>
>Here's a web site that Marcie Lovell has made for Taz.
>
>http://www.crwdiva.org/taz-memorial/
>
>Fondest memories.

I couldn't believe it when I read it in the Telegraph.

Taz sometimes used to stay at my Mother-in-laws when she jumped at
Langar. Looking at the pictures of Taz, I don't think I can remember a
single occasion when she didn't have that that infectious ear-to-ear
grin.

She will be sadly missed.

--
HooDooWitch

30 May 2006 14:30:52
cpives
Re: Sad News - Taz

HooDooWitch wrote:
> I don't think I can remember a
> single occasion when she didn't have that that infectious ear-to-ear
> grin.

That grin is the main thing I'll remember about her for sure. She was
a great, fun person.