28 Jun 2004 09:36:07
Craig Poxon
Four die in light aircraft crash

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3844993.stm

"Three men and a woman have been killed and two men seriously injured in a
light aircraft crash in Devon.
The Cessna 206 single-engine aircraft crashed shortly after 1800 BST on
Sunday at Luppitt Woods near the village of Beacon just outside Honiton.

Three injured men were taken to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital by air
ambulance - one of them died overnight.

Witnesses said the plane appeared to be heading back to a nearby airfield as
its engine spluttered.

Broken fuselage

The pilot, from Wiltshire, was among the dead, police said. But the
identities of the deceased passengers have not yet been confirmed.

Two people, a 23-year-old man from Taunton in Somerset and a 16-year-old boy
from Kingsteignton in south Devon, remain in hospital with serious injuries.

Moments before the crash, the plane flew low over a nearby house before
making the final three miles back to Dunkeswell Airfield.

The plane almost broke in half as it crash-landed and ended up with its nose
buried in the ground and the middle of its fuselage broken.

The party had set off from Dunkeswell Airfield earlier on Sunday to do a
parachute jump, a fire service spokeswoman said.

'Sounded rough'

Retired police officer Eric Franklin, 66, saw the plane come low over his
house at Pound Farm, Beacon, but did not realise it had crashed until he
heard fire engines racing to the scene.

He said: "I did not actually see it come down but it had come over my house
with the engine spluttering and I thought at the time that it would be lucky
to make it to Dunkeswell.

"The engine sounded very rough but it was still going and it flew over the
hill going towards the airfield.

"As it went over I realised I could not hear the engine any more but I did
not know if it had cut out or whether the hill was blocking out the sound.

Scene examined

"I did not hear the crash and there was no explosion or fire. I have been to
see the crash site and the plane is nose down in an inverted V. Its back has
been broken.

"I could not tell whether it had somersaulted but it looked as if the pilot
had tried to put it down in the field and it had crashed while making a
forced landing.

"It was not extraordinarily low when it came over my house but the sound of
the engine was very noticeable."

The scene is being examined by Air Accident Investigation Branch inspectors.

The bodies of the three people who died on impact are still at the scene and
will be recovered by police officers later on Monday.

The Devon School of Flying, based at Dunkeswell, said none of its aircraft
or pilots were involved.

The airfield, built for the United States Navy in the war, is used by a lot
of private fliers and is particularly popular with parachutists. "

BSBD

28 Jun 2004 10:25:06
Gary McGuinness
Re: Four die in light aircraft crash

have heard 5 total on board, 4 died (pilot, tandem passenger and possibly 2
exp jumpers).
Tandem master critical in hospital (fingers crossed).

Very sad news.

Gary

"Craig Poxon" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
pilot
> had tried to put it down in the field and it had crashed while making a
> forced landing.
>
> "It was not extraordinarily low when it came over my house but the sound
of
> the engine was very noticeable."
>
> The scene is being examined by Air Accident Investigation Branch
inspectors.

> The bodies of the three people who died on impact are still at the scene
and
> will be recovered by police officers later on Monday.
>
> The Devon School of Flying, based at Dunkeswell, said none of its aircraft
> or pilots were involved.
>
> The airfield, built for the United States Navy in the war, is used by a
lot
> of private fliers and is particularly popular with parachutists. "

28 Jun 2004 14:50:41
Gary McGuinness
Re: Four die in light aircraft crash

correction: only tandem passenger critical in hospital.

My condolences to the families.

Gary

news:[email protected]