11 Aug 2007 21:38:08
SW
Welsh diving recommendations.

Hi,

I am a trainee diver, almost got my SAA Club Diver, so am qualified
currently to SAA Open Water level. I've done 18 dives, mostly in the UK sea,
and I've got all my own kit. I'm off work next week. My club has nothing
arranged, so I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any of the UK dive
centres where I can book and turn up for a dive. I live near Wales so
something on the Welsh coast would be ideal, although I've left it late.

I've had a look on the web and there are a few centres about so if you can
advise I'd be grateful!

Thanks
SW

13 Aug 2007 23:12:49
Rudy Lacchin
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

"SW" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi,
>
> I am a trainee diver, almost got my SAA Club Diver, so am qualified
> currently to SAA Open Water level. I've done 18 dives, mostly in the UK
> sea, and I've got all my own kit. I'm off work next week. My club has
> nothing arranged, so I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any of the
> UK dive centres where I can book and turn up for a dive. I live near Wales
> so something on the Welsh coast would be ideal, although I've left it
> late.

Blimi, "near Wales" isn't very specific! Give us a clue: are you nearer
Minehead or Liverpool?

R.

14 Aug 2007 00:50:40
Doh

Rudy Lacchin wrote:
> "SW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a trainee diver, almost got my SAA Club Diver, so am qualified
>> currently to SAA Open Water level. I've done 18 dives, mostly in the UK
>> sea, and I've got all my own kit. I'm off work next week. My club has
>> nothing arranged, so I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any of the
>> UK dive centres where I can book and turn up for a dive. I live near Wales
>> so something on the Welsh coast would be ideal, although I've left it
>> late.
>
> Blimi, "near Wales" isn't very specific! Give us a clue: are you nearer
> Minehead or Liverpool?
>
> R.

Probably a Brummie - all of 'Wales' is Rhyll.

14 Aug 2007 07:41:14
SW
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

I'm nearer to Wrexham. but since asking the original q, I've decided to go
to the Pembroke area, near Skomer island. Can you recommend any dive centres
that way?

SW

"Rudy Lacchin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "SW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a trainee diver, almost got my SAA Club Diver, so am qualified
>> currently to SAA Open Water level. I've done 18 dives, mostly in the UK
>> sea, and I've got all my own kit. I'm off work next week. My club has
>> nothing arranged, so I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any of the
>> UK dive centres where I can book and turn up for a dive. I live near
>> Wales so something on the Welsh coast would be ideal, although I've left
>> it late.
>
> Blimi, "near Wales" isn't very specific! Give us a clue: are you nearer
> Minehead or Liverpool?
>
> R.

14 Aug 2007 15:43:32
Rudy Lacchin
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

"SW" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm nearer to Wrexham. but since asking the original q, I've decided to go
> to the Pembroke area, near Skomer island. Can you recommend any dive
> centres that way?

Haven't dived Skomer for years. We used Dive Pembrokeshire (Len Bateman)
and he was first class. We stayed in a B&B in an old school house which was
called something like... The Old School House.

Skomer's nice. Dive "Lucy" if you get a chance.

R.

15 Aug 2007 16:51:27
littlejackhorner
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

The Lucy is an extremely difficult dive and not for beginners. approx
40m and some very nasty currents if you catch it on the wrong day

dont know who to recommend but there are some great 'shore' dives to
be had at

St Brides -

good shore dive, quite rocky at the sides with a good sand stretch
in between.

Martins haven

You have keep right and watch out for the ferry nightmare walk down
a steep hill to the shingle/pebble beach

stackpole Quay

is also a good dive, but it can be awkward to get to as the car park a
quite a way from the beach, which is shingle based.

none of them are particularly deep 11m max on a high tide.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:43:32 GMT, "Rudy Lacchin"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>"SW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> I'm nearer to Wrexham. but since asking the original q, I've decided to go
>> to the Pembroke area, near Skomer island. Can you recommend any dive
>> centres that way?
>
>Haven't dived Skomer for years. We used Dive Pembrokeshire (Len Bateman)
>and he was first class. We stayed in a B&B in an old school house which was
>called something like... The Old School House.
>
>Skomer's nice. Dive "Lucy" if you get a chance.
>
>R.

16 Aug 2007 21:26:45
ossian
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

Agree Pembrokshire offers some excellent shore diving with the sites already
mentioned. Its a while since I dived there unless things have changed
theres a diving centre at Hasguards Cross and theres a dive centre with
accomodation at Little Haven (Dive Pembrokeshire).Both the above as far as
i'm aware still run dive boats
and can probably sort you out with a boat dive.

"SW" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm nearer to Wrexham. but since asking the original q, I've decided to go
> to the Pembroke area, near Skomer island. Can you recommend any dive
> centres that way?
>
> SW
>
> "Rudy Lacchin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "SW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a trainee diver, almost got my SAA Club Diver, so am qualified
>>> currently to SAA Open Water level. I've done 18 dives, mostly in the UK
>>> sea, and I've got all my own kit. I'm off work next week. My club has
>>> nothing arranged, so I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any of the
>>> UK dive centres where I can book and turn up for a dive. I live near
>>> Wales so something on the Welsh coast would be ideal, although I've left
>>> it late.
>>
>> Blimi, "near Wales" isn't very specific! Give us a clue: are you nearer
>> Minehead or Liverpool?
>>
>> R.

17 Aug 2007 23:25:21
Rudy Lacchin
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

"littlejackhorner" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> The Lucy is an extremely difficult dive and not for beginners. approx
> 40m and some very nasty currents if you catch it on the wrong day

It's about 33m to her deck and I'd argue your use of the phrase "extremely
difficult". I've only dived her twice but didn't encounter any problems
apart from the usual ones of being at 33m in poor light and mediocre
visibility. I seem to recall warnings about the currents in Jack Sound:
both times I dived her we used a skipper with local knowledge and weren't
aware of any issues with currents..

All the usual provisos apply about not exceeding your personal limits
(training/experience/qualifications/etc), having the correct kit, planning,
procedures, buddy, cox, etc.

R.

18 Aug 2007 08:15:33
littlejackhorner
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

ok i concede that 'extremely' may have been a little bit of an
overstatement but its certainly not a beginners dive. (or for those
who get seasick !!!!!)

and i certainly agree that good planning etc is used, and a damn good
torch !!!

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:25:21 GMT, "Rudy Lacchin"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>"littlejackhorner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>>
>> The Lucy is an extremely difficult dive and not for beginners. approx
>> 40m and some very nasty currents if you catch it on the wrong day
>
>It's about 33m to her deck and I'd argue your use of the phrase "extremely
>difficult". I've only dived her twice but didn't encounter any problems
>apart from the usual ones of being at 33m in poor light and mediocre
>visibility. I seem to recall warnings about the currents in Jack Sound:
>both times I dived her we used a skipper with local knowledge and weren't
>aware of any issues with currents..
>
>All the usual provisos apply about not exceeding your personal limits
>(training/experience/qualifications/etc), having the correct kit, planning,
>procedures, buddy, cox, etc.
>
>R.

19 Aug 2007 17:59:23
SW
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

>> Blimi, "near Wales" isn't very specific! Give us a clue: are you nearer
>> Minehead or Liverpool?
>>
>> R.

Well I had 5 dives in three days with two different dive centres at 5
different sites!
Dived the "Dakotian" and later the "Behar" off Dale with the West Wales
Diving Centre. Vis was poor and I could only see things clearly at arms
length or less, so a bit disappointing but at least I got wet!
http://www.westwalesdivers.co.uk/sites-milford.asp

Had a shore dive at Martin's Haven the next day, this was better vis, and an
enjoyable site with a lot of varied wild life. (Would have had two dives
there but I slipped on the rocks going in for my second dive and lost my
mask and a fin. Fortunately the fin washed onto shore about half an hour
later so I only had to buy a mask. If you're going there - watch out for
those slippery rocks!)

Next two dives were with West Wales Diving School and we went to Abercastle
for two excellent boat dives. See
http://www.westwalesdivingschool.co.uk/divesites.htm
Lots of wildlife to see with a knowledgeable guide and vis was not bad at
3-4m.

Regards,
SW

07 Sep 2007 10:10:33
Steve Carmichael-Timson
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

Wes Wales Divers is a fantastic center. Good crew.

Steve

--
Semper in sterquilinio haeremus: tantum altitudo stercoris interdum.

><(((>`..`..`.><(((>..`..`.><(((>

"Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only, Reckless O soul, exploring, I
with thee and thou with me, For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared
to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all."

In life, some people are poetry in motion whilst others are just gibberish
in neutral.

http://www.divetheworld.com/forum
"SW" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm nearer to Wrexham. but since asking the original q, I've decided to go
> to the Pembroke area, near Skomer island. Can you recommend any dive
> centres that way?
>
> SW
>
> "Rudy Lacchin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "SW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a trainee diver, almost got my SAA Club Diver, so am qualified
>>> currently to SAA Open Water level. I've done 18 dives, mostly in the UK
>>> sea, and I've got all my own kit. I'm off work next week. My club has
>>> nothing arranged, so I'd like to know if anyone can recommend any of the
>>> UK dive centres where I can book and turn up for a dive. I live near
>>> Wales so something on the Welsh coast would be ideal, although I've left
>>> it late.
>>
>> Blimi, "near Wales" isn't very specific! Give us a clue: are you nearer
>> Minehead or Liverpool?
>>
>> R.

07 Sep 2007 10:12:24
Steve Carmichael-Timson
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

I did a trip report with a video of a dive on the Lucy.

http://www.divetheworld.com/Diving/Shipwrecks/MVLucy/index.htm

Steve

--
Semper in sterquilinio haeremus: tantum altitudo stercoris interdum.

><(((>`..`..`.><(((>..`..`.><(((>

"Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only, Reckless O soul, exploring, I
with thee and thou with me, For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared
to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all."

In life, some people are poetry in motion whilst others are just gibberish
in neutral.

http://www.divetheworld.com/forum
"littlejackhorner" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The Lucy is an extremely difficult dive and not for beginners. approx
> 40m and some very nasty currents if you catch it on the wrong day
>
> dont know who to recommend but there are some great 'shore' dives to
> be had at
>
> St Brides -
>
> good shore dive, quite rocky at the sides with a good sand stretch
> in between.
>

> Martins haven
>
> You have keep right and watch out for the ferry nightmare walk down
> a steep hill to the shingle/pebble beach
>
> stackpole Quay
>
> is also a good dive, but it can be awkward to get to as the car park a
> quite a way from the beach, which is shingle based.
>

> none of them are particularly deep 11m max on a high tide.
>

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:43:32 GMT, "Rudy Lacchin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"SW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]
>>> I'm nearer to Wrexham. but since asking the original q, I've decided to
>>> go
>>> to the Pembroke area, near Skomer island. Can you recommend any dive
>>> centres that way?
>>
>>Haven't dived Skomer for years. We used Dive Pembrokeshire (Len Bateman)
>>and he was first class. We stayed in a B&B in an old school house which
>>was
>>called something like... The Old School House.
>>
>>Skomer's nice. Dive "Lucy" if you get a chance.
>>
>>R.

09 Sep 2007 13:57:32
Karl Hector
Re: Welsh diving recommendations.

I dived with Celtic Divers out of Goodwick in August, and they were really
good, very thorough. They have a great dive boat ("Wandrin' Star") an ex
Grimsby fishing boat as well as ribs. Dived on a couple of local wrecks as a
UK waters work up and really enjoyed it.

Karl