22 Aug 2007 15:41:41
JamesB
UK800R torch problem

I have a UK800R that is a few years old now but has given me great
service...until now. It seems unwilling to charge at all - normally
both charger and battery get quite warm to the touch when charger but
now neither gets warm and the battery remains dead. So, I guess
either the charger or the battery is broke - how do I figure out
which?

Does anyone know the spec of the output for the charger. The data on
the side doesn't indicate output voltage or polarity - I was thinking
about trying to get a generic replacement.

Any thoughts?

JamesB

22 Aug 2007 17:07:49
Doh
Re: UK800R torch problem

JamesB wrote:
> I have a UK800R that is a few years old now but has given me great
> service...until now. It seems unwilling to charge at all - normally
> both charger and battery get quite warm to the touch when charger but
> now neither gets warm and the battery remains dead. So, I guess
> either the charger or the battery is broke - how do I figure out
> which?
>
> Does anyone know the spec of the output for the charger. The data on
> the side doesn't indicate output voltage or polarity - I was thinking
> about trying to get a generic replacement.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> JamesB

Count the amount of cells in the battery (by feeling the lumps) or
estimate based on C or D sized cells.
My UK D8 takes 8 D sized and my UK Light Cannon takes 8 C sized for eg.

This equates to 8 * 1.5 = 12volts

If you measure the op from the charger it will probably read over this
whilst disconnected.
The centre on my UK's is positive, and a NETGEAR router charger stands
in very well!

The fault on my sounds similar to yours - in my case the connections
from cell to cell were fine but the final pair of wires out to the
terminals had disconnected (due to heat) and worked after resoldering.