22 Aug 2007 14:32:54
Paul S
Kick techniques

I'm sure I'm stumbling across religious ground here, but....

I've just started diving. It's about 3 weeks since I completed my Open
Water, and I've done 6 dives since. Trying to get wet at least once a
week (but this week I might get 3 lots in). I'm in that process of
trying to settle on what my style is for moving around in the water.

All my dives have been done at Wraysbury, as it's just round the
corner, which at the moment is rather susceptible to silt being kicked
up. So I'm interested in how various kicking techniques might help
avoid this.

Personally I find that I naturally like to be in a position with my
legs straight out behind me, doing a slight scissor kick with the
power coming from the thighs (I've swum in pools all my life, and I
guess I'm just doing what I'd do there). I'm not sure what this is
like from a turbulence point of view though. Am I likely to be kicking
up a lot of silt doing this? I'd look behind me, but the visibility
hasn't really been good enough to tell. I also find that while this is
good for straight line swimming, it can be difficult to maneuver in
small areas (I'm a tall fellow).

A lot of the people I'm buddying with (and letting lead until I've
some more confidence) tend to swim with either their legs bent, below
and behind them, or do odd things like frog kicks. Some of this I put
to experience, the frog kicks being from some of the *serious* divers.

So, assuming non-split fins for the moment (because that's what I'm
using), what do other people do and why?

Paul

P.S. Hope people don't mind 'new diver' questions. I'd normally ask
the people I'm diving with, but I tend to be underwater at the time.

22 Aug 2007 17:31:54
ZenDiver
Re: Kick techniques

Paul S wrote:
> I'm sure I'm stumbling across religious ground here, but....
>
> I've just started diving. It's about 3 weeks since I completed my Open
> Water, and I've done 6 dives since. Trying to get wet at least once a
> week (but this week I might get 3 lots in). I'm in that process of
> trying to settle on what my style is for moving around in the water.
>
> All my dives have been done at Wraysbury, as it's just round the
> corner, which at the moment is rather susceptible to silt being kicked
> up. So I'm interested in how various kicking techniques might help
> avoid this.
>
> Personally I find that I naturally like to be in a position with my
> legs straight out behind me, doing a slight scissor kick with the
> power coming from the thighs (I've swum in pools all my life, and I
> guess I'm just doing what I'd do there). I'm not sure what this is
> like from a turbulence point of view though. Am I likely to be kicking
> up a lot of silt doing this? I'd look behind me, but the visibility
> hasn't really been good enough to tell. I also find that while this is
> good for straight line swimming, it can be difficult to maneuver in
> small areas (I'm a tall fellow).
>
> A lot of the people I'm buddying with (and letting lead until I've
> some more confidence) tend to swim with either their legs bent, below
> and behind them, or do odd things like frog kicks. Some of this I put
> to experience, the frog kicks being from some of the *serious* divers.
>
> So, assuming non-split fins for the moment (because that's what I'm
> using), what do other people do and why?
>
> Paul
>
> P.S. Hope people don't mind 'new diver' questions. I'd normally ask
> the people I'm diving with, but I tend to be underwater at the time.

The first three videos on this page may be of interest

http://www.frogkick.nl/bibliotheek.htm