23 Aug 2007 11:38:25
Bob Dodds
Cheap underwater camera

I've just done the Florida / Disney bit with the family. While "she who must
be obeyed" was shopping I mooched around the supermarket shelves and found
one of those disposable underwater cameras for $14.99 (about 7.50). It was
made by Snap Sights and is good for 27m with a flash, so for that price I
bought one to try. I was only down to 18m but got surprisingly good results
and on opening it the flash battery and film are replacable, providing you
are careful with the case locking tabs. Worth a go for the the price if you
want a try at underwater photo's. I don't work for the company or anything,
I just thought that it was it was good value considering my first 110 film
underwater camera cost me 100 second hand 20 years ago.

Bob




24 Aug 2007 02:39:28
JaffaB
Re: Cheap underwater camera

On Aug 23, 12:38 pm, "Bob Dodds" <[email protected] > wrote:
> I've just done the Florida / Disney bit with the family. While "she who m=
ust
> be obeyed" was shopping I mooched around the supermarket shelves and found
> one of those disposable underwater cameras for $14.99 (about =A37.50). It=
was
> made by Snap Sights and is good for 27m with a flash, so for that price I
> bought one to try. I was only down to 18m but got surprisingly good resul=
ts
> and on opening it the flash battery and film are replacable, providing you
> are careful with the case locking tabs. Worth a go for the the price if y=
ou
> want a try at underwater photo's. I don't work for the company or anythin=
g,
> I just thought that it was it was good value considering my first 110 film
> underwater camera cost me =A3100 second hand 20 years ago.
>
> Bob

Hmmm, this got me interested in getting a camera for my dives in
Mexico in a couple of weeks. So I did some googling on this camera,
and this lead me to the following URL with a review. Not sure I would
be showing the photos to anybody...

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=3D2784&v=3D1&sp=3D332458=
698660344915332

Regards

John



24 Aug 2007 11:47:03
Ben Panter
Re: Cheap underwater camera

JaffaB wrote:
> On Aug 23, 12:38 pm, "Bob Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've just done the Florida / Disney bit with the family. While "she who must
>> be obeyed" was shopping I mooched around the supermarket shelves and found
>> one of those disposable underwater cameras for $14.99 (about 7.50). It was
>> made by Snap Sights and is good for 27m with a flash, so for that price I
>> bought one to try. I was only down to 18m but got surprisingly good results
>> and on opening it the flash battery and film are replacable, providing you
>> are careful with the case locking tabs. Worth a go for the the price if you
>> want a try at underwater photo's. I don't work for the company or anything,
>> I just thought that it was it was good value considering my first 110 film
>> underwater camera cost me 100 second hand 20 years ago.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Hmmm, this got me interested in getting a camera for my dives in
> Mexico in a couple of weeks. So I did some googling on this camera,
> and this lead me to the following URL with a review. Not sure I would
> be showing the photos to anybody...
>
> http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2784&v=1&sp=332458698660344915332
>
> Regards
>
> John
>

Film cameras, and especially cheap film cameras, underwater are an art
form with a near vertical learning curve. I would scout out ebay for an
old digital with a housing - you should find something for 50 or so and
I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the output would be far
better than what you would achieve with *any* film camera in the first
year of using it.

Ben

--
Ben Panter, Edinburgh, UK.
Email false, http://www.benpanter.co.uk
or you could try ben at ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


24 Aug 2007 20:12:31
Ken
Re: Cheap underwater camera


"Ben Panter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> JaffaB wrote:
>> On Aug 23, 12:38 pm, "Bob Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I've just done the Florida / Disney bit with the family. While "she who
>>> must
>>> be obeyed" was shopping I mooched around the supermarket shelves and
>>> found
>>> one of those disposable underwater cameras for $14.99 (about 7.50). It
>>> was
>>> made by Snap Sights and is good for 27m with a flash, so for that price
>>> I
>>> bought one to try. I was only down to 18m but got surprisingly good
>>> results
>>> and on opening it the flash battery and film are replacable, providing
>>> you
>>> are careful with the case locking tabs. Worth a go for the the price if
>>> you
>>> want a try at underwater photo's. I don't work for the company or
>>> anything,
>>> I just thought that it was it was good value considering my first 110
>>> film
>>> underwater camera cost me 100 second hand 20 years ago.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> Hmmm, this got me interested in getting a camera for my dives in
>> Mexico in a couple of weeks. So I did some googling on this camera,
>> and this lead me to the following URL with a review. Not sure I would
>> be showing the photos to anybody...
>>
>> http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2784&v=1&sp=332458698660344915332
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> John
>>
>
> Film cameras, and especially cheap film cameras, underwater are an art
> form with a near vertical learning curve. I would scout out ebay for an
> old digital with a housing - you should find something for 50 or so and
> I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the output would be far
> better than what you would achieve with *any* film camera in the first
> year of using it.
>

Well, this is an example indeed of a CHEAP camera. If OTOH you want and
INEXPENSIVE camera, look at te Canon A570, currently on offer from
www.7dayshop.com . Add to that a housing from www.camerasunderwater.co.uk
and you have a 7MP camera combo from a respectable stable for 270, or a bit
more if you go for the Ikelite housing which is rated to 60m AND has a
threaded port for accessory lenses. That's considerably less than I paid for
a reduced-price 4MB setup 3 yrs ago!

Ken




25 Aug 2007 11:46:13
Mick Whittingham
Re: Cheap underwater camera

In article <[email protected] >, Ben Panter <[email protected]>
writes
>JaffaB wrote:
>> On Aug 23, 12:38 pm, "Bob Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote:



>>
>
>Film cameras, and especially cheap film cameras, underwater are an art
>form with a near vertical learning curve. I would scout out ebay for an
>old digital with a housing - you should find something for 50 or so
>and I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the output would be
>far better than what you would achieve with *any* film camera in the
>first year of using it.
>


I went on one diving holiday when my dive camera/housing had not
returned from a service by the makers. Wondering through LIDL in the
days before going I saw some 6:50(?) cameras with case and film. Bought
one as at the price you can't loose.

The camera said it was rated to 12 meters but when I turned up at the
dive shop on holiday and the German owner saw and recognised the camera.
He said he had seen them used down to 20 plus meters with only one draw
back, they refuse to wind on below about 15 meter. I ran several films
through it no problems as long as I rewound it at the depth the pressure
came off of the winder.
--
Mick Whittingham
'and I will make it a felony to drink small beer.'
William Shakespeare, Henry VI part 2.


24 Aug 2007 11:53:41
Nigel Hewitt
Re: Cheap underwater camera

Ben Panter wrote:

> Film cameras, and especially cheap film cameras, underwater are an art
> form with a near vertical learning curve. I would scout out ebay for an
> old digital with a housing - you should find something for 50 or so and
> I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the output would be far
> better than what you would achieve with *any* film camera in the first
> year of using it.

And how. The snag is that you get back your pictures from processing and say
"Oh well. I won't make that mistake again" as you bin them.
At least on digital you do that between dives and by the end of the trip
the hit rate of ones you're prepared to tolerate has gone up.

nigelH



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com



26 Aug 2007 23:17:26
D
Re: Cheap underwater camera

Tada....!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230165136083&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=013

"Ben Panter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> JaffaB wrote:
>> On Aug 23, 12:38 pm, "Bob Dodds" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I've just done the Florida / Disney bit with the family. While "she who
>>> must
>>> be obeyed" was shopping I mooched around the supermarket shelves and
>>> found
>>> one of those disposable underwater cameras for $14.99 (about 7.50). It
>>> was
>>> made by Snap Sights and is good for 27m with a flash, so for that price
>>> I
>>> bought one to try. I was only down to 18m but got surprisingly good
>>> results
>>> and on opening it the flash battery and film are replacable, providing
>>> you
>>> are careful with the case locking tabs. Worth a go for the the price if
>>> you
>>> want a try at underwater photo's. I don't work for the company or
>>> anything,
>>> I just thought that it was it was good value considering my first 110
>>> film
>>> underwater camera cost me 100 second hand 20 years ago.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> Hmmm, this got me interested in getting a camera for my dives in
>> Mexico in a couple of weeks. So I did some googling on this camera,
>> and this lead me to the following URL with a review. Not sure I would
>> be showing the photos to anybody...
>>
>> http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2784&v=1&sp=332458698660344915332
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> John
>>
>
> Film cameras, and especially cheap film cameras, underwater are an art
> form with a near vertical learning curve. I would scout out ebay for an
> old digital with a housing - you should find something for 50 or so and
> I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the output would be far
> better than what you would achieve with *any* film camera in the first
> year of using it.
>
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Panter, Edinburgh, UK.
> Email false, http://www.benpanter.co.uk
> or you could try ben at ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^