29 Sep 2005 12:23:33
[email protected]
Carrying your kit abroad

After my recent overseas dive jaunt, I thought that rather than try &
squeeze my kit into a suitcase or risk a soft side dive bag .... What
would be ideal is something like one of the hard plastic crates ... the
type they use for storage or inter-office moves, with a retractable
handle and 2 wheels on the bottom?

Would seem ideal for a suit, BCD, set of regs etc.

This would seem far more sensible that a cordura or nylon dive bag, I
am also guessing that as this so logical somebody must have thought of
this and make them ?

Anybody know of such 'travel crates'

29 Sep 2005 21:24:06
jIM,
Re: Carrying your kit abroad

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> After my recent overseas dive jaunt, I thought that rather than try &
> squeeze my kit into a suitcase or risk a soft side dive bag .... What
> would be ideal is something like one of the hard plastic crates ... the
> type they use for storage or inter-office moves, with a retractable
> handle and 2 wheels on the bottom?
>
> Would seem ideal for a suit, BCD, set of regs etc.
>
> This would seem far more sensible that a cordura or nylon dive bag, I
> am also guessing that as this so logical somebody must have thought of
> this and make them ?
>
> Anybody know of such 'travel crates'

Wickes do a toolbox as you describe. - Large crate with wheels & retractable
handle?

Not sure if it suit your needs?

30 Sep 2005 10:35:33
Pete Young
Re: Carrying your kit abroad

On 2005-09-29, [email protected] <[email protected] > wrote:

> Anybody know of such 'travel crates'

I have a large wheeled toolbox which fits the description and cost
about 40 quid from B&Q. It's pretty heavy though. If you're on a
20Kg limit you don't want the box to take up 1/3rd of the allowance!

I've also seen crates without the wheels called 'Gear Gulpers', and
I think Scubapro also market a version with their name stamped on.

-- Pete

30 Sep 2005 11:01:46
Rita Daggett
Re: Carrying your kit abroad

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> After my recent overseas dive jaunt, I thought that rather than try &
> squeeze my kit into a suitcase or risk a soft side dive bag .... What
> would be ideal is something like one of the hard plastic crates ... the
> type they use for storage or inter-office moves, with a retractable
> handle and 2 wheels on the bottom?

dont laugh, but 'Rubbermaid' (I think its that anyway) might have what you
want. We bought a smallish version for our video-housing (from Greenaway
Marine - the one near Swindon) and they said the BBC etc use them for their
kit. I think they do a wheeled one.
--
Rita Daggett

01 Oct 2005 11:47:46
[email protected]
Re: Carrying your kit abroad

Rubbermaid ... hmmm, brown paper bag Sir, infalate in the privacy of
your own home ?

Thanks I'll try a search for rubbermaid ... bet the net finds some
other interseting sites, not just boxes.

01 Oct 2005 20:32:20
Chris Quinn
Re: Carrying your kit abroad

"Rita Daggett" <[email protected] > lovingly inscribed in
news:[email protected]:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> After my recent overseas dive jaunt, I thought that rather than try &
>> squeeze my kit into a suitcase or risk a soft side dive bag .... What
>> would be ideal is something like one of the hard plastic crates ...
>> the type they use for storage or inter-office moves, with a
>> retractable handle and 2 wheels on the bottom?
>>

> dont laugh, but 'Rubbermaid' (I think its that anyway) might have what
> you want. We bought a smallish version for our video-housing (from
> Greenaway Marine - the one near Swindon) and they said the BBC etc use
> them for their kit. I think they do a wheeled one.

Not long after I started work at a well known aquarium as IT Manager, I
clamped down on internet access and sent out warnings to all staff after
finding that someone had been accessing www.rubbermaid.com - imagine my
shame when I checked it out (for research purposes only of course), and
found that they make bins, rubber mats etc!

Chris Q