22 Apr 2005 03:15:10
A Fulton
Lighting - Fibre Optic (Nav, interior, mood etc...)

Wondered if any of the list members have come across this before. I
work with a FO manufacturing company (in the UK)and am currently
developing a boat friendly set of self-install fibre optic light kits
for various onboard jobs.

As most will know the LED vs FO argument is 'dead in the water'
(sorry) when it comes to marine applications. With FO there is no
transmission of elec nor heat to the point of light and one light
source can run many FO tails. This among many other advantages sets
fibre optics apart from other 'new' technologies.

Genuinely interested in your thoughts........

22 Apr 2005 10:44:03
Dennis Pogson
Re: Lighting - Fibre Optic (Nav, interior, mood etc...)

A Fulton wrote:
> Wondered if any of the list members have come across this before. I
> work with a FO manufacturing company (in the UK)and am currently
> developing a boat friendly set of self-install fibre optic light kits
> for various onboard jobs.
>
> As most will know the LED vs FO argument is 'dead in the water'
> (sorry) when it comes to marine applications. With FO there is no
> transmission of elec nor heat to the point of light and one light
> source can run many FO tails. This among many other advantages sets
> fibre optics apart from other 'new' technologies.
>
> Genuinely interested in your thoughts........

If the spread is sufficient, it would be nice to have FO reading /berth
lights, as they are easier to bend and set to any angle, but is there a
fall-off in intensity due to distance from the source?
--
Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
Remove 'nospam' to reply.

22 Apr 2005 12:13:05
Guy Fawkes

Dennis Pogson wrote:

> A Fulton wrote:
>> Wondered if any of the list members have come across this before. I
>> work with a FO manufacturing company (in the UK)and am currently
>> developing a boat friendly set of self-install fibre optic light kits
>> for various onboard jobs.
>>
>> As most will know the LED vs FO argument is 'dead in the water'
>> (sorry) when it comes to marine applications. With FO there is no
>> transmission of elec nor heat to the point of light and one light
>> source can run many FO tails. This among many other advantages sets
>> fibre optics apart from other 'new' technologies.
>>
>> Genuinely interested in your thoughts........
>
> If the spread is sufficient, it would be nice to have FO reading /berth
> lights, as they are easier to bend and set to any angle, but is there a
> fall-off in intensity due to distance from the source?
> --
> Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
> Remove 'nospam' to reply.

I wouldn't bother with fibre-optic in a boat, fibre optics is good for lots
of things but providing illumination isn't one of em.

check out electroluminescent wire, so safe you can run it inside a petrol
tank, a metre of red will give a great night chart light, five metres each
of green and blue will give a nice ambient light (if you want a high
intensity spot use LED) and best of all EL wire consumes about 100 watts
per kilometre and is hugely efficient.

--
Lithium ion internal and external batteries.
Internal from 30 External from 75 (trade)

22 Apr 2005 18:35:51
NotMyRealName
Re: Lighting - Fibre Optic (Nav, interior, mood etc...)

In message <[email protected] >, A Fulton
<[email protected] > writes
>Wondered if any of the list members have come across this before. I
>work with a FO manufacturing company (in the UK)and am currently
>developing a boat friendly set of self-install fibre optic light kits
>for various onboard jobs.
>
>As most will know the LED vs FO argument is 'dead in the water'
>(sorry) when it comes to marine applications. With FO there is no
>transmission of elec nor heat to the point of light and one light
>source can run many FO tails. This among many other advantages sets
>fibre optics apart from other 'new' technologies.
>
>Genuinely interested in your thoughts........

Not connected, but sounds good idea. Presumably the fibres are not
affected by corrosion (c.f. electric cables)?

Spike

22 Apr 2005 20:10:10
fragged
Re: Lighting - Fibre Optic (Nav, interior, mood etc...)

the diameter needed to provide good lighting would be massively expencive, I
did this some years ago and didnt have much luck.

fragged

"A Fulton" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Wondered if any of the list members have come across this before. I
> work with a FO manufacturing company (in the UK)and am currently
> developing a boat friendly set of self-install fibre optic light kits
> for various onboard jobs.
>
> As most will know the LED vs FO argument is 'dead in the water'
> (sorry) when it comes to marine applications. With FO there is no
> transmission of elec nor heat to the point of light and one light
> source can run many FO tails. This among many other advantages sets
> fibre optics apart from other 'new' technologies.
>
> Genuinely interested in your thoughts........

05 May 2005 08:32:39
berneray
Re: Lighting - Fibre Optic (Nav, interior, mood etc...)

Depending on the material used (polymer or glass) in the harness there
is a fall off but this is only significant after 15-20m, but as I
understand it, it is not the intensity that degrades so much as the
colour.

Dennis Pogson wrote:
> A Fulton wrote:
> > Wondered if any of the list members have come across this before. I
> > work with a FO manufacturing company (in the UK)and am currently
> > developing a boat friendly set of self-install fibre optic light
kits
> > for various onboard jobs.
> >
> > As most will know the LED vs FO argument is 'dead in the water'
> > (sorry) when it comes to marine applications. With FO there is no
> > transmission of elec nor heat to the point of light and one light
> > source can run many FO tails. This among many other advantages sets
> > fibre optics apart from other 'new' technologies.
> >
> > Genuinely interested in your thoughts........
>
> If the spread is sufficient, it would be nice to have FO reading
/berth
> lights, as they are easier to bend and set to any angle, but is there
> fall-off in intensity due to distance from the source?
> --
> Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
> Remove 'nospam' to reply.

05 May 2005 08:33:55
berneray
Re: Lighting - Fibre Optic (Nav, interior, mood etc...)

The fibres are resilient enough to be submerged!

06 May 2005 08:25:17

berneray wrote:
> The fibres are resilient enough to be submerged!

So you could carry on reading even when the boat was sinking!