27 Jun 2007 17:47:26
akiley
noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

Hi all, I have a few boards on the roof of my van. I can't seem to
get them quiet at interstate speeds. Nothing is actually flapping
against the van roof, but it sounds like it. I'm thinking it might be
the board bag flapping against the board. Does this happen? I've put
twists in the tie downs, but no joy. I was thinking of cutting a
piece of something like masonite to strap on the top of the board
bag. ... akiley



27 Jun 2007 20:34:17
[email protected]
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

You might push the boards all the forward in the bags, strap up the
loose bag in the rear and see how it sounds.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:47:26 -0700, akiley <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Hi all, I have a few boards on the roof of my van. I can't seem to
>get them quiet at interstate speeds. Nothing is actually flapping
>against the van roof, but it sounds like it. I'm thinking it might be
>the board bag flapping against the board. Does this happen? I've put
>twists in the tie downs, but no joy. I was thinking of cutting a
>piece of something like masonite to strap on the top of the board
>bag. ... akiley



28 Jun 2007 04:31:15
Peter
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

> Hi all, I have a few boards on the roof of my van. I can't seem to
> get them quiet at interstate speeds. Nothing is actually flapping
> against the van roof, but it sounds like it. I'm thinking it might be
> the board bag flapping against the board. Does this happen? I've put
> twists in the tie downs, but no joy. I was thinking of cutting a
> piece of something like masonite to strap on the top of the board
> bag. ... akiley

Get a tighter-fitting board bag, or tie two straps around the board
somewhere in the middle between crossbars. This solved my flapping
problem when I still used to rack Formula board. YMMV

Peter


28 Jun 2007 04:13:47
Ugly Bird
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

"akiley" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi all, I have a few boards on the roof of my van. I can't seem to
> get them quiet at interstate speeds. Nothing is actually flapping
> against the van roof, but it sounds like it. I'm thinking it might be
> the board bag flapping against the board. Does this happen? I've put
> twists in the tie downs, but no joy. I was thinking of cutting a
> piece of something like masonite to strap on the top of the board
> bag. ... akiley

Had same thing some time ago. Yes, this is the bag between the roof rack
bars doing kinda wave motion.
I got rid of it by wrapping one bungee around the bag with board in it
somewhere in the middle.
It disrupts the wave mo.

Good luck.




28 Jun 2007 11:05:37
akiley
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

Thanks for all the help. My kid has a Starboard in a loose fitting
bag. When I switched the order and put my AHD on top if was quiet for
an hour, then started the noise again. I almost had my wife drive so
I could climb out the window to find the problem. Then I though. A
mirror on a pole might be safer.

Bungee sounds like a plan.



28 Jun 2007 08:55:31
(PeteCresswell)
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

Per akiley:
> Nothing is actually flapping
>against the van roof, but it sounds like it.

You're probably already doing this... but putting a twist in each
end of the tiedown straps keeps them from humming - and
self-destructing over time.
--
PeteCresswell


28 Jun 2007 08:18:22
davem
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

Apart from flapping noises, on my Subaru Outback, I get a lot of noise
from the wind tunneling between the boards and roof and vibrating the
car roof.
Breaking up that air flow helps. I can tell the difference when I
have bulky rail pads on. The worse case fix has been one of those
deflectors (on a previous car). Probably too much hassle on a van.

Dave.



28 Jun 2007 16:50:16
Michael
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

I've found judicious use of duct tape on loose-fiiting board and
quiver bags (or even loose ends of the tiedown straps, which is
usually the culprit for me) does the trick.

If you get hum (which I sometimes do) I've found that making sure that
none of the tiedowns have any twists in them helps.

On Jun 28, 11:18 am, davem <[email protected] > wrote:
> Apart from flapping noises, on my Subaru Outback, I get a lot of noise
> from the wind tunneling between the boards and roof and vibrating the
> car roof.
> Breaking up that air flow helps. I can tell the difference when I
> have bulky rail pads on. The worse case fix has been one of those
> deflectors (on a previous car). Probably too much hassle on a van.
>
> Dave.




29 Jun 2007 08:09:30
(PeteCresswell)
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

Per Michael:
>If you get hum (which I sometimes do) I've found that making sure that
>none of the tiedowns have any twists in them helps.

???
--
PeteCresswell


29 Jun 2007 13:14:29
Michael
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

You've never had humming lines? Usually I hear cowboy ballads.

:)

Seriously though, taught straps at certain angles at certain speeds
can start to vibrate, and it can get annoying.

On Jun 29, 8:09 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected] > wrote:
> Per Michael:
>
> >If you get hum (which I sometimes do) I've found that making sure that
> >none of the tiedowns have any twists in them helps.
>
> ???
> --
> PeteCresswell




29 Jun 2007 09:35:09
Alan Ballow
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

Michael wrote:
> You've never had humming lines? Usually I hear cowboy ballads.
>
> :)

That's because they don't know the words.


29 Jun 2007 11:06:34
(PeteCresswell)
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

Per Michael:
>Seriously though, taught straps at certain angles at certain speeds
>can start to vibrate, and it can get annoying.

I was wondering about the "non-twisted" part.

My experience has been that non-twisted tie downs tend to hum but
tie downs with a twist or two in them do not.
--
PeteCresswell


29 Jun 2007 15:23:51
Michael
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

On Jun 29, 11:06 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected] > wrote:
> Per Michael:
>
> >Seriously though, taught straps at certain angles at certain speeds
> >can start to vibrate, and it can get annoying.
>
> I was wondering about the "non-twisted" part.
>
> My experience has been that non-twisted tie downs tend to hum but
> tie downs with a twist or two in them do not.
> --
> PeteCresswell

That's a thought...invariably when I have twist-related hum there is a
single half twist. Maybe twisting MORE is the way to go in mystery
situations!



29 Jun 2007 10:46:37
[email protected]
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:35:09 -0400, Alan Ballow
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Michael wrote:
>> You've never had humming lines? Usually I hear cowboy ballads.
>>
>> :)
>
> That's because they don't know the words.

I wish I'd said that. :(


29 Jun 2007 15:27:03
Alan Ballow
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

[email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:35:09 -0400, Alan Ballow
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Michael wrote:
>>> You've never had humming lines? Usually I hear cowboy ballads.
>>>
>>> :)
>> That's because they don't know the words.
>
> I wish I'd said that. :(

You will.


29 Jun 2007 17:13:18
Glenn Woodell
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:23:51 -0000, Michael <[email protected] >
wrote:

>On Jun 29, 11:06 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Per Michael:
>>
>> >Seriously though, taught straps at certain angles at certain speeds
>> >can start to vibrate, and it can get annoying.
>>
>> I was wondering about the "non-twisted" part.
>>
>> My experience has been that non-twisted tie downs tend to hum but
>> tie downs with a twist or two in them do not.
>> --
>> PeteCresswell
>
>That's a thought...invariably when I have twist-related hum there is a
>single half twist. Maybe twisting MORE is the way to go in mystery
>situations!

It is best to twist according to the following formula. Number of
twists = strap length / board volume + number of cams in largest sail.

Just kidding. Never had too many twists myself. I always use a half
twist where the strap goes over the deck of my boards and I never have
any strap noises.

Many racks these days have deflectors and some Nissans have them. At
certain speeds these can make a lot of noise. I never found them
useful except for advertising for the particular companies who have
their names on them.

Glenn


29 Jun 2007 21:06:02
[email protected]
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:13:18 -0400, Glenn Woodell <[email protected] >
wrote:

>It is best to twist according to the following formula. Number of
>twists = strap length / board volume + number of cams in largest sail.

Thanks, I cannot wait to share this with a certain person. :)


30 Jun 2007 06:38:28
akiley
Re: noisy boards on roof rack, any advice

On Jun 29, 5:13 pm, Glenn Woodell <[email protected] > wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:23:51 -0000, Michael <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>
>
> >On Jun 29, 11:06 am, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Per Michael:
>
> >> >Seriously though, taught straps at certain angles at certain speeds
> >> >can start to vibrate, and it can get annoying.
>
> >> I was wondering about the "non-twisted" part.
>
> >> My experience has been that non-twisted tie downs tend to hum but
> >> tie downs with a twist or two in them do not.
> >> --
> >> PeteCresswell
>
> >That's a thought...invariably when I have twist-related hum there is a
> >single half twist. Maybe twisting MORE is the way to go in mystery
> >situations!
>
> It is best to twist according to the following formula. Number of
> twists = strap length / board volume + number of cams in largest sail.
>
> Just kidding. Never had too many twists myself. I always use a half
> twist where the strap goes over the deck of my boards and I never have
> any strap noises.
>
> Many racks these days have deflectors and some Nissans have them. At
> certain speeds these can make a lot of noise. I never found them
> useful except for advertising for the particular companies who have
> their names on them.
>
> Glenn

When I started windsurfing I had similar over technical solutions.
For example, I set my VCR to record one minute of the weather channel
every half hour. This was timed to capture the 7 local wind reports.
I would then enter them in my spreadsheet that graphed the wind out
including high and low gusts with horizontal sail sized in shaded
colors. It was amazingly accurate. I'd see it ramping up to a 5.0
day and sure enough, that's what I'd be sailing. Even though I drink
much more coffee these days, I've relaxed a lot. akiley