25 Jul 2006 14:17:35
[email protected]
Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)

This hot weather stinks (in more ways then one), I was launching at Hs
Lordship's last week and was bolled over by some rank stank. What are
we puttin' ourselves into? I've heard from some buddies that fish that
there is somethin' up with the water quality in the Bay over the last
few weeks. They said there has been a high incidence of fish kill and
dead Nemos around the bay. Anyone have any info about this?

-Tim



25 Jul 2006 16:51:45
Jrobb
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)


[email protected] wrote:
> This hot weather stinks (in more ways then one), I was launching at Hs
> Lordship's last week and was bolled over by some rank stank. What are
> we puttin' ourselves into? I've heard from some buddies that fish that
> there is somethin' up with the water quality in the Bay over the last
> few weeks. They said there has been a high incidence of fish kill and
> dead Nemos around the bay. Anyone have any info about this?
>
> -Tim

Don't know any particulars but I would not be surprised if some of the
shallower spots show surface temp jumps up 2 deg's. For some species
that are really picky that may be the last straw. The other day I was
able to go sans wetsuit at Candlestick all day (Fri) ...the week before
the water was much cooler feeling.

I just got back from the Mtns, and a few lakes we used to swim in at 6k
ft and above that were normally very chilly to swim for any length of
time were quite pleasant. I would say temp for them was up at least
5degrees.

J



25 Jul 2006 16:59:33
Rigatoni
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)

This link will give you the water temp at Sherman Island. I have never
seen it go above 72 degrees before and it is currently pushing 80.

http://cdec2.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryFx?EMM


Jrobb wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > This hot weather stinks (in more ways then one), I was launching at Hs
> > Lordship's last week and was bolled over by some rank stank. What are
> > we puttin' ourselves into? I've heard from some buddies that fish that
> > there is somethin' up with the water quality in the Bay over the last
> > few weeks. They said there has been a high incidence of fish kill and
> > dead Nemos around the bay. Anyone have any info about this?
> >
> > -Tim
>
> Don't know any particulars but I would not be surprised if some of the
> shallower spots show surface temp jumps up 2 deg's. For some species
> that are really picky that may be the last straw. The other day I was
> able to go sans wetsuit at Candlestick all day (Fri) ...the week before
> the water was much cooler feeling.
>
> I just got back from the Mtns, and a few lakes we used to swim in at 6k
> ft and above that were normally very chilly to swim for any length of
> time were quite pleasant. I would say temp for them was up at least
> 5degrees.
>
> J



25 Jul 2006 21:05:41
LeeD
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)

How about the sucky wind ?????
Besides TI anways.



28 Jul 2006 00:52:44
tenA
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)

Is all of this really unusual or are folks here just being whiney? we
moved here in april and ever since we got here its either been "much
colder than usual" or "much sunnier than usual" or much less windy than
usual" I am starting to wonder about things here! Is it just an
"unusual" year?
In the panhandle, my last home venue, we got used to hot hot weather,
no wind, and stinky bay water - it was all very usual!
regardless, we've gotten more sesh's here in 4 months than in 8 months
back east so really can't complain. (solar shower bags are the trick-
must shower in the parking lot immediately post sesh - that 3rd ave
stench is seriously powerful) :-)




LeeD wrote:
> How about the sucky wind ?????
> Besides TI anways.



28 Jul 2006 08:18:02
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)

This has definitely been an abnormal weather year since March. The
torrential, non-stop rains and the length and strength of the most
recent heat wave is something I haven't seen in my 10 yrs here. Let's
hope it doesn't become the norm.

Typically, we'll get two sets of up to four days of high heat. The wind
this year has been a bummer unless you can get to TI, in which case
you've had a banner year.

Vic
tenA wrote:
> Is all of this really unusual or are folks here just being whiney? we
> moved here in april and ever since we got here its either been "much
> colder than usual" or "much sunnier than usual" or much less windy than
> usual" I am starting to wonder about things here! Is it just an
> "unusual" year?
> In the panhandle, my last home venue, we got used to hot hot weather,
> no wind, and stinky bay water - it was all very usual!
> regardless, we've gotten more sesh's here in 4 months than in 8 months
> back east so really can't complain. (solar shower bags are the trick-
> must shower in the parking lot immediately post sesh - that 3rd ave
> stench is seriously powerful) :-)
>
>
>
>
> LeeD wrote:
> > How about the sucky wind ?????
> > Besides TI anways.



28 Jul 2006 08:52:15
Rigatoni
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)

Adrienne,

You do have a good point. It is very easy to complain in paradise but
the last couple of years have been a bit weird wind wise. Personally I
think it has a lot to do with the wet winter that dragged on into
spring. The only good thing about a bad ski season is it usually means
the coming windsurfing season will be a good one.

Personally, I have no complaints about warmer than normal water on the
east side of the bay. If people are getting a little too warm, I would
invite them over to Crissy on the back side of a flood tide.
Brrrrr......

Chris
[email protected] wrote:
> This has definitely been an abnormal weather year since March. The
> torrential, non-stop rains and the length and strength of the most
> recent heat wave is something I haven't seen in my 10 yrs here. Let's
> hope it doesn't become the norm.
>
> Typically, we'll get two sets of up to four days of high heat. The wind
> this year has been a bummer unless you can get to TI, in which case
> you've had a banner year.
>
> Vic
> tenA wrote:
> > Is all of this really unusual or are folks here just being whiney? we
> > moved here in april and ever since we got here its either been "much
> > colder than usual" or "much sunnier than usual" or much less windy than
> > usual" I am starting to wonder about things here! Is it just an
> > "unusual" year?
> > In the panhandle, my last home venue, we got used to hot hot weather,
> > no wind, and stinky bay water - it was all very usual!
> > regardless, we've gotten more sesh's here in 4 months than in 8 months
> > back east so really can't complain. (solar shower bags are the trick-
> > must shower in the parking lot immediately post sesh - that 3rd ave
> > stench is seriously powerful) :-)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > LeeD wrote:
> > > How about the sucky wind ?????
> > > Besides TI anways.



28 Jul 2006 09:06:27
LeeD
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)

Sailing Berkeley last 10 years, by far the worst season in that time
frame. Ask any local.
That said, I'm on day 75, mostly 6.0 and smaller, but still, winds
are terrible this year.
A good season, you'd easily get 150 days of solid planing over 20 mph
winds in one season, if you bother to show up at the beach on time.



28 Jul 2006 09:31:55
Jrobb
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)


LeeD wrote:
> Sailing Berkeley last 10 years, by far the worst season in that time
> frame. Ask any local.
> That said, I'm on day 75, mostly 6.0 and smaller, but still, winds
> are terrible this year.
> A good season, you'd easily get 150 days of solid planing over 20 mph
> winds in one season, if you bother to show up at the beach on time.


AgreeD with LeeD...if you look on Iwindsurf at Berkeley's archive for
the month of July and look back each year previous, you will see many
more days of sailable (planable meaning avg. 16-23) wind than this
year. But what's killing it for this year is Berkeley only has been
goin off for an hour at a time sometimes 1.5hrs. You'd have to rig and
wait for the wind to come up then sail and make it back to the launch b
4 it craps out. I live in Berkeley and 1.5 hrs is still cutting it
close when you consider fighting traffic and rigging...maybe get 30-40
min of the tail end which is not too fun. Years previous I used 6.3
and lower any time I wanted to sail and you'd have at least 2hr window,
sometimes 4hr. That's plenty to play with.

The fog is finally back and Sherman has been sailable for close to
72hrs straight...hope some of that rubbs off on the rest of the Bay.

WIndsurfing in the Bay Area is similar to wines in Napa...even when
it's bad, it's still good. And windsurfers like vintners are
connisuoiers (sp. think I butchered that) of nature's gifts...when she
don't give like last time, we get pissed.

J



28 Jul 2006 11:29:32
[email protected]
Re: Hot weather = stinky water (Bay Area)

Yup, Berkeley's been funky this year for sure. The windline feels like
it's always JUST off Hs Lordships, and without fail retreats just out
of reach when you get in the water--totally a carrot on stick feel.
While Berkeley's been in a funk wind-wise, feels like the rest of the
Bay ain't too bad, and as someone mentioned earlier TI has been super
sweet. I'm not complaining too much except for those steamy days where
the water smells righteously rank.

-Tim



LeeD wrote:
> Sailing Berkeley last 10 years, by far the worst season in that time
> frame. Ask any local.
> That said, I'm on day 75, mostly 6.0 and smaller, but still, winds
> are terrible this year.
> A good season, you'd easily get 150 days of solid planing over 20 mph
> winds in one season, if you bother to show up at the beach on time.