27 Feb 2007 15:21:27
Windrider
HIHO Advice

Hi All,

I've signed up for the HIHO this July and am looking for advice on from
those who have experience:
What to bring?
Where to stay in Tortula the Saturday before we set sail?
What is the sailng experience? Long reaches? Any upwind work?
How do the Bic Techno II 148 boards perform?
Can I train with something else or should I look to buy a used one for
training(I have large and smaller boards but nothing freeirde at around 75cm
wide)?
Should I bring extra fins? What size sails do I chose for 175lbs sailor
with a lttle formula experience?
Should I train this Spring and any advise on how andhow much?

This my "dream" windsurfing adventure so I want to maximize my experience.

WindriderVA74




27 Feb 2007 10:21:38
Re: HIHO Advice

Hi Windrider,

I've done the HIHO the last two years (and will probably be there
again this year), so here are my thoughts.

> What to bring?
harness, downhaul crank, harness lines, adjustable outhaul if you use
it, uphaul, booties (even if you don't wear them, just in case you cut
your foot), some sort of triple pulley block if you plan to use an
adjustable outhaul, bug repellent, pirate costume, LOTS of tie down
straps, a quiver bag if you have one, some basic tools like a
screwdriver, metallic marker to write your name on your gear. some of
the boards are slick, so maybe some nonskid or warm water surf wax.
your own footsraps if you have a preference.


> Where to stay in Tortula the Saturday before we set sail?
if you're only going to be there the night b/f we set sail, stay at
the Moorings. that's where we leave from, and so you'll already be
there. If you plan to get there a day or two early and want to
practice sailing the gear, stay at Nanny Cay (about 5 miles away). If
the Moorings is booked up, you can stay across the street at Treasure
Isle.

> What is the sailng experience? Long reaches? Any upwind work?
the courses are a mix up upwind, downwind, and some reaching.
definitely more of a course racing type thing than most non-racers are
used to. most people, if they have problems, is learinng to tack and
sail off the wind, so you should practice these now if you need to.

> How do the Bic Techno II 148 boards perform?
> Can I train with something else or should I look to buy a used one for
> training(I have large and smaller boards but nothing freeirde at around 75cm
> wide)?
everybody rides the same board, and they perform fine. no need to buy
the exact board if you have a bigger board.


> Should I bring extra fins? What size sails do I chose for 175lbs sailor
> with a lttle formula experience?
you can use the stock fin... 75% of the fleet does, and it's fine.
the top 10 guys will have their own fins... up to 70cm. the stock fin
is 50cm. If you have experience sailing formula, I would get a 9.8
and a 9.0. at 165lbs, I always sailed a 9.0, and would have taken a
9.8 if i had one on some occasions. If you get a third sail, go down
to 8.0.

> Should I train this Spring and any advise on how andhow much?
this is a fun race... everybody wants to do well, but in the end it's
about the journey and not the result. You will have less frustration
if you are comfortable sailing deep downwind, so that's my biggest
suggestion.

>
> This my "dream" windsurfing adventure so I want to maximize my experience.
>
> WindriderVA74

hope to see you there this summer!

kev




27 Feb 2007 23:09:21
Steve Elliott
Re: HIHO Advice

For where to stay, follow Kevin's advice. When I went in 2004, they
staged from Nanny Cay so we stayed there the first night. Here's my
advice:

- Lots of upwind and downwind sailing. Lots of sailing in big ocean
swell. If you have a chance to sail in swell, do so.
- Don't bother renting a car. It's going to waste a lot of your time
- I'd pay extra for the 3rd sail.
- If you rely on an adjustable outhaul, you should bring your own booms,
or a tailpiece that supports one. The stock NP booms don't accept an
adjustable OH.
- For the downwinders, you will need an adjustable outhaul. I wore
myself out trying to man-handle a flat 9 meter sail on downwind runs. It
would have been much easier to do those with a bagged out sail.
- For training, just get your tacks down. Gybes too, but tacks were what
killed me.
- You will want a hat you can wear sailing, and lots of sunscreen (duh)
- Bring some gloves. I would recommend you use them only for hauling
gear around and rigging, not for sailing. Sailing those big sails with
slimy gloves is like trying to do chinups on a greased bar. But two days
of rigging in the sand will wear your hands down to raw meat.
- Bring a bottle of rubbing alcohol to wash your shredded hands with
after sailing. Your hands will heal much faster if they are sanitized.
- Bring some Nuskin, or bandages for your hands (do you see a theme
developing here???).
- A lot of discussion was made about the condition of our hands. One
racer suggested soaking your hands in rubbing alcolol for 15 minutes
each day for 2 weeks before the race.
- Remember, no matter how well callused your hands are, the warm salty
water of the Caribbean will make them suffer.
- After sailing all day, order a Painkiller at the bar. You and your
hands will appreciate it.
- It's a fun race, don't get too psyched up about it. It's very
difficult and taxing, but if you come in deep in the pack (as i did) you
still can have a blast.
- We had our flash cards stolen from our camera inside our luggage at
Tortola. Lost all of our photos but they didn't take the camera. Go
figure. You might want to carry on your camera and anything small that
can be stolen by airport personnel.
- Finally, as to what to bring - ME! I wish I were going. It truly was
one of the two best windsurfing vacations of my life. The only other one
that comes close was watching my 13 year old son kick ass at King of the
Caribbean in Bonaire, during which I celebrated my 50th birthday. So
that says alot.

Have fun, say hi to Andy from Steve Elliott.

Steve

"Windrider" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:X%[email protected]:

> Hi All,
>
> I've signed up for the HIHO this July and am looking for advice on
> from
> those who have experience:
> What to bring?
> Where to stay in Tortula the Saturday before we set sail?
> What is the sailng experience? Long reaches? Any upwind work?
> How do the Bic Techno II 148 boards perform?
> Can I train with something else or should I look to buy a used one
> for
> training(I have large and smaller boards but nothing freeirde at
> around 75cm wide)?
> Should I bring extra fins? What size sails do I chose for 175lbs
> sailor
> with a lttle formula experience?
> Should I train this Spring and any advise on how andhow much?
>
> This my "dream" windsurfing adventure so I want to maximize my
> experience.
>
> WindriderVA74
>
>
>



27 Feb 2007 21:30:35
Mike Colee
Re: HIHO Advice

Learn to sail a huge sail using an AO. I thought a 7.5m was huge, it's tiny
for HIHO. You need a 9.8m sail.
Practice going upwind and tacking.
Practice sailing extreme angles off the wind.
Practice reaching way overpowered. You just need to "survive" the few
reaching legs. Most of the racing is up or down.
I'd recommend getting one of those easy up-haul's. Holy shit have you ever
tried to uphaul a 9.8m sail! Have you ever tried to waterstart a 9.8m sail?
Both are work.
Try to get a forward cabin on your cat. Better airflow with the hatch up.
The heat made sleeping difficult for me.

Have fun! Don't sweat the racing.

Mike

"Windrider" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:X%[email protected]
> Hi All,
>
> I've signed up for the HIHO this July and am looking for advice on from
> those who have experience:
> What to bring?
> Where to stay in Tortula the Saturday before we set sail?
> What is the sailng experience? Long reaches? Any upwind work?
> How do the Bic Techno II 148 boards perform?
> Can I train with something else or should I look to buy a used one for
> training(I have large and smaller boards but nothing freeirde at around
> 75cm wide)?
> Should I bring extra fins? What size sails do I chose for 175lbs sailor
> with a lttle formula experience?
> Should I train this Spring and any advise on how andhow much?
>
> This my "dream" windsurfing adventure so I want to maximize my experience.
>
> WindriderVA74
>
>9




28 Feb 2007 15:21:28
WindriderVA74
Re: HIHO Advice

Kev,

I want to enjoy my sailing, mid pack is where I hope to be! Having this
sailing adventure to look forward to this summer
will inspire me to sail a few more times this spring, maybe in more marginal
conditions and push myself to sail a little bigger and deeper up and
downwind. Now that will be a bigger bonus to extend my sailing in more
directions!!

Thanks for the advise! I'll definitely take it!

John
<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi Windrider,
>
> I've done the HIHO the last two years (and will probably be there
> again this year), so here are my thoughts.
>
>> What to bring?
> harness, downhaul crank, harness lines, adjustable outhaul if you use
> it, uphaul, booties (even if you don't wear them, just in case you cut
> your foot), some sort of triple pulley block if you plan to use an
> adjustable outhaul, bug repellent, pirate costume, LOTS of tie down
> straps, a quiver bag if you have one, some basic tools like a
> screwdriver, metallic marker to write your name on your gear. some of
> the boards are slick, so maybe some nonskid or warm water surf wax.
> your own footsraps if you have a preference.
>
>
>> Where to stay in Tortula the Saturday before we set sail?
> if you're only going to be there the night b/f we set sail, stay at
> the Moorings. that's where we leave from, and so you'll already be
> there. If you plan to get there a day or two early and want to
> practice sailing the gear, stay at Nanny Cay (about 5 miles away). If
> the Moorings is booked up, you can stay across the street at Treasure
> Isle.
>
>> What is the sailng experience? Long reaches? Any upwind work?
> the courses are a mix up upwind, downwind, and some reaching.
> definitely more of a course racing type thing than most non-racers are
> used to. most people, if they have problems, is learinng to tack and
> sail off the wind, so you should practice these now if you need to.
>
>> How do the Bic Techno II 148 boards perform?
>> Can I train with something else or should I look to buy a used one for
>> training(I have large and smaller boards but nothing freeirde at around
>> 75cm
>> wide)?
> everybody rides the same board, and they perform fine. no need to buy
> the exact board if you have a bigger board.
>
>
>> Should I bring extra fins? What size sails do I chose for 175lbs
>> sailor
>> with a lttle formula experience?
> you can use the stock fin... 75% of the fleet does, and it's fine.
> the top 10 guys will have their own fins... up to 70cm. the stock fin
> is 50cm. If you have experience sailing formula, I would get a 9.8
> and a 9.0. at 165lbs, I always sailed a 9.0, and would have taken a
> 9.8 if i had one on some occasions. If you get a third sail, go down
> to 8.0.
>
>> Should I train this Spring and any advise on how andhow much?
> this is a fun race... everybody wants to do well, but in the end it's
> about the journey and not the result. You will have less frustration
> if you are comfortable sailing deep downwind, so that's my biggest
> suggestion.
>
>>
>> This my "dream" windsurfing adventure so I want to maximize my
>> experience.
>>
>> WindriderVA74
>
> hope to see you there this summer!
>
> kev
>
>




28 Feb 2007 15:59:22
WindriderVA74
Re: HIHO Advice

Steve,

I appreciate your advice! I will definitely implement most of your
suggestions. I don't like sailing with gloves but I will bring some for
riggingand some rubbing alcohol.

Thanks,

John

"Steve Elliott" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> For where to stay, follow Kevin's advice. When I went in 2004, they
> staged from Nanny Cay so we stayed there the first night. Here's my
> advice:
>
> - Lots of upwind and downwind sailing. Lots of sailing in big ocean
> swell. If you have a chance to sail in swell, do so.
> - Don't bother renting a car. It's going to waste a lot of your time
> - I'd pay extra for the 3rd sail.
> - If you rely on an adjustable outhaul, you should bring your own booms,
> or a tailpiece that supports one. The stock NP booms don't accept an
> adjustable OH.
> - For the downwinders, you will need an adjustable outhaul. I wore
> myself out trying to man-handle a flat 9 meter sail on downwind runs. It
> would have been much easier to do those with a bagged out sail.
> - For training, just get your tacks down. Gybes too, but tacks were what
> killed me.
> - You will want a hat you can wear sailing, and lots of sunscreen (duh)
> - Bring some gloves. I would recommend you use them only for hauling
> gear around and rigging, not for sailing. Sailing those big sails with
> slimy gloves is like trying to do chinups on a greased bar. But two days
> of rigging in the sand will wear your hands down to raw meat.
> - Bring a bottle of rubbing alcohol to wash your shredded hands with
> after sailing. Your hands will heal much faster if they are sanitized.
> - Bring some Nuskin, or bandages for your hands (do you see a theme
> developing here???).
> - A lot of discussion was made about the condition of our hands. One
> racer suggested soaking your hands in rubbing alcolol for 15 minutes
> each day for 2 weeks before the race.
> - Remember, no matter how well callused your hands are, the warm salty
> water of the Caribbean will make them suffer.
> - After sailing all day, order a Painkiller at the bar. You and your
> hands will appreciate it.
> - It's a fun race, don't get too psyched up about it. It's very
> difficult and taxing, but if you come in deep in the pack (as i did) you
> still can have a blast.
> - We had our flash cards stolen from our camera inside our luggage at
> Tortola. Lost all of our photos but they didn't take the camera. Go
> figure. You might want to carry on your camera and anything small that
> can be stolen by airport personnel.
> - Finally, as to what to bring - ME! I wish I were going. It truly was
> one of the two best windsurfing vacations of my life. The only other one
> that comes close was watching my 13 year old son kick ass at King of the
> Caribbean in Bonaire, during which I celebrated my 50th birthday. So
> that says alot.
>
> Have fun, say hi to Andy from Steve Elliott.
>
> Steve
>
> "Windrider" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:X%[email protected]:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've signed up for the HIHO this July and am looking for advice on
>> from
>> those who have experience:
>> What to bring?
>> Where to stay in Tortula the Saturday before we set sail?
>> What is the sailng experience? Long reaches? Any upwind work?
>> How do the Bic Techno II 148 boards perform?
>> Can I train with something else or should I look to buy a used one
>> for
>> training(I have large and smaller boards but nothing freeirde at
>> around 75cm wide)?
>> Should I bring extra fins? What size sails do I chose for 175lbs
>> sailor
>> with a lttle formula experience?
>> Should I train this Spring and any advise on how andhow much?
>>
>> This my "dream" windsurfing adventure so I want to maximize my
>> experience.
>>
>> WindriderVA74
>>
>>
>>
>




28 Feb 2007 12:42:43
Re: HIHO Advice

I read on the Exocet site that the HiHo this year was using Konas. If
there is enough wind to plane on the fin you probably can just jump on
and go (I did first time sailing my Kona), but if you are going way
upwind in light or marginal conditions you will want to use the
dagger. If you haven't sailed one before, its different, and try and
get a bit of time on one. Tacking is pretty easy though, but maybe
because I learned on a One-design in the late 1970s. It wil be an
interesting test to see if going high on the dagger or a little
broader but planing on the fin is better for upwinding in a breeze.
Wish I could go!



01 Mar 2007 18:54:36
Re: HIHO Advice

Windsurfing Mag online has an account of a novice windsurfer tackling
the HIHO. It's a long read, but an honest account by a newbie. Very
inspiring. We need more novices with that kind of obsessive
compulsive disorder to grow this sport ;)


http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=48741

Daphne