06 Apr 2004 11:45:02
Frank Mouns
Advice on aftermarket towers

Anyone have any comments on adding a wakeboarding tower to a boat that was
not originally designed for one? Several dealers at a recent boat show told
me that the body structure is not strong enough to add a tower if it not
done by the original manufacturer (of course they thought they would sell me
a new boat by telling me this). They stated that the areas around the
mounting points would crack and eventually break.

I have a 21' Sea Ray Sundeck that will never have professional caliber wakes
for the perfect ride, but adding the ability to get "some" air, and a place
to store the four boards I now carry is starting to sound appealing. There
appear to be multiple third-party tower builders, but none describe the
potential problems that could happen to the boat.

Thanks in advance...
Frank

06 Apr 2004 15:59:00
FLY135
Re: Advice on aftermarket towers

"Frank Mouns" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Anyone have any comments on adding a wakeboarding tower to a boat that was
> not originally designed for one? Several dealers at a recent boat show
told
> me that the body structure is not strong enough to add a tower if it not
> done by the original manufacturer (of course they thought they would sell
me
> a new boat by telling me this). They stated that the areas around the
> mounting points would crack and eventually break.

They have no idea whether the structure is strong enough. The areas around
the mounting points "may" crack not "would" and they "may" eventually break
if you simply ignore any cracks. That doesn't stop you from beefing up the
fiberglass from the underside *if* necessary. Boats are not exactly rocket
science. Any hack with some fiberglass and resin can add support areas from
the underside if there is working room.

It's not like everyone and their brother hasn't put a ski pole on a boat not
specifically designed for such. I put a homemade one on a boat back in the
70's and saw it 10 years later on the same boat still working perfectly.

06 Apr 2004 19:33:50
Jason L
Re: Advice on aftermarket towers

Not True. The tower companies re-inforce the body with fiberglass. If it's
installed right, the gelcoat won't crack. I would suggest two tower
companies. Boss or Pro-filght. I had a proflight aftermarket tower
(sweptback) installed on my centurion and it was impecible.... great
product.

They also warranty their work. But you need to make sure you get it
installed by a reputable toqwer installer and not some shop that does them
occasionally.....

"Frank Mouns" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Anyone have any comments on adding a wakeboarding tower to a boat that was
> not originally designed for one? Several dealers at a recent boat show
told
> me that the body structure is not strong enough to add a tower if it not
> done by the original manufacturer (of course they thought they would sell
me
> a new boat by telling me this). They stated that the areas around the
> mounting points would crack and eventually break.
>
> I have a 21' Sea Ray Sundeck that will never have professional caliber
wakes
> for the perfect ride, but adding the ability to get "some" air, and a
place
> to store the four boards I now carry is starting to sound appealing. There
> appear to be multiple third-party tower builders, but none describe the
> potential problems that could happen to the boat.
>
> Thanks in advance...
> Frank

06 Apr 2004 13:55:37
Bill
Re: Advice on aftermarket towers

Seen a few of them crack, never break. Seems like it's usually impact
with another boat, dock, etc. that starts it. Not sure if riding
behind it did or not. I doubt it matters a lot on the rider's ability
though, more like size & strength. We've had some HUGE, STRONG guys
behind ours that pull the boat around as much or more than the best
riders.

Best thing you can do is to sandwich large wood backing plates between
the glass & a metal plate where the inside nuts & washers are mounted.
The larger the backing plate, the more you disperse the stresses the
tower is putting on the boat. In fact, I've wondered if a plate on TOP
of the glass might even be a good idea.
-
Bill