31 May 2006 12:46:06
Wilander: grace

Just now on Eurosport, David Mercer asked Wilander if he had come to RG as
a 17yo believing he could win the title. No, he said. He had belief in his
own game and that he could play better because the occasion was bigger,
but no, he didn't believe he could play with Lendl, Vilas, et al.
Although, he went on, he never said he won that match - he always said
that Vilas lost it. And that if you asked Vilas he'd probably agree.

wg

31 May 2006 10:50:38
Re: Wilander: grace

[email protected] wrote:
> Just now on Eurosport, David Mercer asked Wilander if he had come to RG as
> a 17yo believing he could win the title. No, he said. He had belief in his
> own game and that he could play better because the occasion was bigger,
> but no, he didn't believe he could play with Lendl, Vilas, et al.
> Although, he went on, he never said he won that match - he always said
> that Vilas lost it. And that if you asked Vilas he'd probably agree.
>
> wg

I'm sure he would. Vilas is obviously very concerned about his
legacy--which was never much in my mind to begin with...He was the
ultimate ditch digger.