29 Feb 2008 19:04:39
Vari L. Cinicke
Unlucky Losers in Zagreb

Llodra wins 2 titles in 2008 and pulls out of Zagreb. Lucky Loser #209
Stakhovsky replaces him and goes on to beat

#21 Karlovic
#113 Troicki
#44 Tipsarevic
#66 Bolelli

and reaches the final. It had been a long while since he beat anyone in
the Top 100 before this week. That is one lucky loser. Of course, he is
ranked low enough that he will still need to qualify for slams and most
ATP tournaments.

At least, he can get direct entry into qualies.

If he should win the tournament, he will surely make it to atptennis.com
front page. Fame for a week or a day.

--
Cheers,

vc

29 Feb 2008 11:35:15
joliehuis
Re: Unlucky Losers in Zagreb

On 29 feb, 20:04, "Vari L. Cinicke" <[email protected] > wrote:
> Llodra wins 2 titles in 2008 and pulls out of Zagreb. Lucky Loser #209
> Stakhovsky replaces him and goes on to beat
>
> #21 =A0Karlovic
> #113 Troicki
> #44 =A0Tipsarevic
> #66 =A0Bolelli
>
> and reaches the final. It had been a long while since he beat anyone in
> the Top 100 before this week. That is one lucky loser. Of course, he is
> ranked low enough that he will still need to qualify for slams and most
> ATP tournaments.
>
> At least, he can get direct entry into qualies.
>
> If he should win the tournament, he will surely make it to atptennis.com
> front page. Fame for a week or a day.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> vc

He already is on the frontpage of atptennis.com...

29 Feb 2008 19:46:56
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Unlucky Losers in Zagreb

joliehuis wrote:
> On 29 feb, 20:04, "Vari L. Cinicke" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Llodra wins 2 titles in 2008 and pulls out of Zagreb. Lucky Loser #209
>> Stakhovsky replaces him and goes on to beat
>>
>> #21 Karlovic
>> #113 Troicki
>> #44 Tipsarevic
>> #66 Bolelli
>>
>> and reaches the final. It had been a long while since he beat anyone in
>> the Top 100 before this week. That is one lucky loser. Of course, he is
>> ranked low enough that he will still need to qualify for slams and most
>> ATP tournaments.
>>
>> At least, he can get direct entry into qualies.
>>
>> If he should win the tournament, he will surely make it to atptennis.com
>> front page. Fame for a week or a day.
>>

> He already is on the frontpage of atptennis.com...

So he is. Skinny 6'4" dude wins first career SF 6-4, 6-4!

--
Cheers,

vc

01 Mar 2008 20:15:56
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Unlucky Losers in Zagreb

joliehuis wrote:
> On 29 feb, 20:04, "Vari L. Cinicke" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Llodra wins 2 titles in 2008 and pulls out of Zagreb. Lucky Loser #209
>> Stakhovsky replaces him and goes on to beat
>>
>> #21 Karlovic
>> #113 Troicki
>> #44 Tipsarevic
>> #66 Bolelli
>>
>> and reaches the final. It had been a long while since he beat anyone in
>> the Top 100 before this week. That is one lucky loser. Of course, he is
>> ranked low enough that he will still need to qualify for slams and most
>> ATP tournaments.
>>
>> At least, he can get direct entry into qualies.
>>
>> If he should win the tournament, he will surely make it to atptennis.com
>> front page. Fame for a week or a day.
>>

> He already is on the frontpage of atptennis.com...

With his win over Ljubicic today for the title, he deserves it even more.

--
Cheers,

vc

07 Mar 2008 15:28:36
Sakari Lund
Re: Unlucky Losers in Zagreb

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 20:15:56 GMT, "Vari L. Cinicke"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>joliehuis wrote:
>> On 29 feb, 20:04, "Vari L. Cinicke" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Llodra wins 2 titles in 2008 and pulls out of Zagreb. Lucky Loser #209
>>> Stakhovsky replaces him and goes on to beat
>>>
>>> #21 Karlovic
>>> #113 Troicki
>>> #44 Tipsarevic
>>> #66 Bolelli
>>>
>>> and reaches the final. It had been a long while since he beat anyone in
>>> the Top 100 before this week. That is one lucky loser. Of course, he is
>>> ranked low enough that he will still need to qualify for slams and most
>>> ATP tournaments.
>>>
>>> At least, he can get direct entry into qualies.
>>>
>>> If he should win the tournament, he will surely make it to atptennis.com
>>> front page. Fame for a week or a day.
>>>

>> He already is on the frontpage of atptennis.com...
>
>With his win over Ljubicic today for the title, he deserves it even more.

I can think of only two ways to lose a match in a pro tennis
tournament and still win the title. One is what Stakhovsky did, lose a
match in qualifying, get in as a lucky loser, and win the title. The
other is that you can lose a match (or even two) in YEC Round Robin,
and still win the title.