29 Nov 2004 21:59:50
The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

> > the world got over it (unfortunately it took a stabbing for
everyone
> > to *love* seles, but there you go), and i think we should too.
>
> the world *never* "loved" seles..
>
> bob

seles became a crowd favourite post-stabbing, after she came back on
tour in 1995. she also immediately qualified for the "sentimental
favourite" tab from crowds, and most of the world's media, but
especially US types like mary carillo and bud collins, who had
previously been openly hostile.

by 1993, even after becoming #1, most of the press were baying for her
blood for playing exhibitions instead of tour events, grunting too
loudly, playing too-unorthodox a style, being too concerned with
becoming an actress, lucrative endorsment deals, etc.

this partly happened because the tour didn;t realise how much they
needed seles until she was out. the tour went from an intense
graf-seles rivalry to the delights of sanchez vicario-martinez finals
for years thereafter. the wta had trouble for *years* finding a name
sponsor, and crowds dropped.

the assertions were as unfair to seles then, as they are now to
sharapova. i don't know to what else they can be attributed to other
than jealousy.

30 Nov 2004 07:05:28
mimus
Re: The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

On 29 Nov 2004 21:59:50 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>> > the world got over it (unfortunately it took a stabbing for
>everyone
>> > to *love* seles, but there you go), and i think we should too.
>>
>> the world *never* "loved" seles..
>>
>> bob
>
>seles became a crowd favourite post-stabbing, after she came back on
>tour in 1995. she also immediately qualified for the "sentimental
>favourite" tab from crowds, and most of the world's media, but
>especially US types like mary carillo and bud collins, who had
>previously been openly hostile.
>
>by 1993, even after becoming #1, most of the press were baying for her
>blood for playing exhibitions instead of tour events, grunting too
>loudly, playing too-unorthodox a style, being too concerned with
>becoming an actress, lucrative endorsment deals, etc.
>
>this partly happened because the tour didn;t realise how much they
>needed seles until she was out. the tour went from an intense
>graf-seles rivalry to the delights of sanchez vicario-martinez finals
>for years thereafter. the wta had trouble for *years* finding a name
>sponsor, and crowds dropped.
>
>the assertions were as unfair to seles then, as they are now to
>sharapova. i don't know to what else they can be attributed to other
>than jealousy.

Maria should get a T- shirt made, "I'm a blonde Russo- American tennis
goddess and you're not."

--
Thank you, Adelphia, for demanding $120 more a year
for The Tennis Channel!

30 Nov 2004 17:24:19
Pigimax

[email protected] ha scritto:

> by 1993, even after becoming #1, most of the press were baying for her
> blood for playing exhibitions instead of tour events, grunting too
> loudly, playing too-unorthodox a style, being too concerned with
> becoming an actress, lucrative endorsment deals, etc.

I'm waiting for Serena to become a crowd favourite, then.

30 Nov 2004 16:56:24
macca
Re: The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:24:19 +0100, Pigimax <pigimax2003
@libero.it > wrote:
> [email protected] ha scritto:
>
> > by 1993, even after becoming #1, most of the press were
baying for her
> > blood for playing exhibitions instead of tour events,
grunting too
> > loudly, playing too-unorthodox a style, being too
concerned with
> > becoming an actress, lucrative endorsment deals, etc.
>
> I'm waiting for Serena to become a crowd favourite, then.

Wouldnt hold my breath. I think even her most rabid fans are
cooling to her flaky wacked out antics.

Robert B. Waltz

Pigimax <[email protected] > wrote:

> [email protected] ha scritto:
>
> > by 1993, even after becoming #1, most of the press were baying for her
> > blood for playing exhibitions instead of tour events, grunting too
> > loudly, playing too-unorthodox a style, being too concerned with
> > becoming an actress, lucrative endorsment deals, etc.
>
> I'm waiting for Serena to become a crowd favourite, then.

Serena is a fan favorite in the U. S.

What she is not is a favorite with organizers. Or the WTA.
Unfortunately, they can't talk on the record about that one.

--
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
-- unknown (at least to me)

01 Dec 2004 02:36:49
bob
Re: The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>> > the world got over it (unfortunately it took a stabbing for
> everyone
>> > to *love* seles, but there you go), and i think we should too.
>>
>> the world *never* "loved" seles..
>>
>> bob
>
> seles became a crowd favourite post-stabbing, after she came back on
> tour in 1995. she also immediately qualified for the "sentimental
> favourite" tab from crowds, and most of the world's media, but
> especially US types like mary carillo and bud collins, who had
> previously been openly hostile.

the crowd applauded seles because they thought it was the right thing to
do..but do you really believe all those who wished her to lose pre 93 really
wanted her to win post 95? very few i bet.

> by 1993, even after becoming #1, most of the press were baying for her
> blood for playing exhibitions instead of tour events, grunting too
> loudly, playing too-unorthodox a style, being too concerned with
> becoming an actress, lucrative endorsment deals, etc.

i don't believe it changed much, although they sympathetically cheered her
post 95.

> the assertions were as unfair to seles then, as they are now to
> sharapova. i don't know to what else they can be attributed to other
> than jealousy.

who hates sharapova, but for other russian players?

bob

03 Dec 2004 05:15:03
Karen Wall
Re: The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

I loved Seles pre-stabbing (I don't remember Carillo disliking her either).
Seles was resented because in 1990 -1991, the American press were falling
all over themselves about Capriati, and Seles kept eclipsing everything the
overhyped, squeaky shoed kid did.
"bob" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> everyone
>>>
>>> the world *never* "loved" seles..
>>>
>>> bob
>>
>> seles became a crowd favourite post-stabbing, after she came back on
>> tour in 1995. she also immediately qualified for the "sentimental
>> favourite" tab from crowds, and most of the world's media, but
>> especially US types like mary carillo and bud collins, who had
>> previously been openly hostile.
>
> the crowd applauded seles because they thought it was the right thing to
> do..but do you really believe all those who wished her to lose pre 93
> really wanted her to win post 95? very few i bet.
>
>> by 1993, even after becoming #1, most of the press were baying for her
>> blood for playing exhibitions instead of tour events, grunting too
>> loudly, playing too-unorthodox a style, being too concerned with
>> becoming an actress, lucrative endorsment deals, etc.
>
> i don't believe it changed much, although they sympathetically cheered her
> post 95.
>
>> the assertions were as unfair to seles then, as they are now to
>> sharapova. i don't know to what else they can be attributed to other
>> than jealousy.
>
> who hates sharapova, but for other russian players?
>
> bob

03 Dec 2004 21:55:17
bob
Re: The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

"Karen Wall" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I loved Seles pre-stabbing (I don't remember Carillo disliking her either).
>Seles was resented because in 1990 -1991, the American press were falling
>all over themselves about Capriati, and Seles kept eclipsing everything the
>overhyped, squeaky shoed kid did.

actually, americans far preferred graf to seles.

ob

> "bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> everyone

>>> seles became a crowd favourite post-stabbing, after she came back on
>>> tour in 1995. she also immediately qualified for the "sentimental
>>> favourite" tab from crowds, and most of the world's media, but
>>> especially US types like mary carillo and bud collins, who had
>>> previously been openly hostile.
>>
>> the crowd applauded seles because they thought it was the right thing to
>> do..but do you really believe all those who wished her to lose pre 93
>> really wanted her to win post 95? very few i bet.
>>
>>> by 1993, even after becoming #1, most of the press were baying for her
>>> blood for playing exhibitions instead of tour events, grunting too
>>> loudly, playing too-unorthodox a style, being too concerned with
>>> becoming an actress, lucrative endorsment deals, etc.
>>
>> i don't believe it changed much, although they sympathetically cheered
>> her post 95.
>>
>>> the assertions were as unfair to seles then, as they are now to
>>> sharapova. i don't know to what else they can be attributed to other
>>> than jealousy.
>>
>> who hates sharapova, but for other russian players?
>>
>> bob

05 Dec 2004 17:23:07
quick_ice
Re: The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

"Karen Wall" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I loved Seles pre-stabbing (I don't remember Carillo disliking her
either).
> Seles was resented because in 1990 -1991, the American press were falling
> all over themselves about Capriati, and Seles kept eclipsing everything
the
> overhyped, squeaky shoed kid did.

Actually I really thought the reason why Seles was disliked was because of
her arrogance and supreme confidence which has been conspicuously missing
since her return in 1995. One thing I respected her is that despite her
arrogance, she was gracious in defeat unlike the likes of Hingis and the
Williams. Who can forget her smile after her humiliating defeat by Graf in
1992 W finals. Also I have never heard any negative comments from her about
other players.

05 Dec 2004 21:03:50
Whisper

quick_ice wrote:

> "Karen Wall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>I loved Seles pre-stabbing (I don't remember Carillo disliking her
>
> either).
>
>>Seles was resented because in 1990 -1991, the American press were falling
>>all over themselves about Capriati, and Seles kept eclipsing everything
>
> the
>
>>overhyped, squeaky shoed kid did.
>

> Actually I really thought the reason why Seles was disliked was because of
> her arrogance and supreme confidence which has been conspicuously missing
> since her return in 1995. One thing I respected her is that despite her
> arrogance, she was gracious in defeat unlike the likes of Hingis and the
> Williams. Who can forget her smile after her humiliating defeat by Graf in
> 1992 W finals. Also I have never heard any negative comments from her about
> other players.

Seles was awesome at her best - I put her ahead of sisters, just behind
Graf, & woulda loved to see her play Henin at USO at respective peaks...

05 Dec 2004 17:32:25
The Terminator

Whisper <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> quick_ice wrote:
>
> > "Karen Wall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >
> >>I loved Seles pre-stabbing (I don't remember Carillo disliking her
> >
> > either).
> >
> >>Seles was resented because in 1990 -1991, the American press were falling
> >>all over themselves about Capriati, and Seles kept eclipsing everything
> >
> > the
> >
> >>overhyped, squeaky shoed kid did.
> >

> > Actually I really thought the reason why Seles was disliked was because of
> > her arrogance and supreme confidence which has been conspicuously missing
> > since her return in 1995. One thing I respected her is that despite her
> > arrogance, she was gracious in defeat unlike the likes of Hingis and the
> > Williams. Who can forget her smile after her humiliating defeat by Graf in
> > 1992 W finals. Also I have never heard any negative comments from her about
> > other players.
> >

> Seles was awesome at her best - I put her ahead of sisters, just behind
> Graf, & woulda loved to see her play Henin at USO at respective peaks...

What nonsense. How can be Seles behind Graf. What about Navratilova and Evert?

06 Dec 2004 09:22:34
nemanja
Re: The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

"quick_ice" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Karen Wall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I loved Seles pre-stabbing (I don't remember Carillo disliking her
> either).
> > Seles was resented because in 1990 -1991, the American press were
falling
> > all over themselves about Capriati, and Seles kept eclipsing everything
> the
> > overhyped, squeaky shoed kid did.
>
> Actually I really thought the reason why Seles was disliked was because of
> her arrogance and supreme confidence which has been conspicuously missing
> since her return in 1995.

Seles wasn't disliked, exactly, she just wasn't loved. Kind of like Graf ,
she was too good to completely disregard, but not really a figure the public
adored the way they could Capriati.

Nemanja

06 Dec 2004 12:06:47
Re: The Seles Rehabilitation [was: Sharapova not welcome to Fed Cup]

Graf was liked everywhere -. Europe, Asia, Australia. And though she
may not have been the favorite in USA she was never disliked there.

I don't think Seles was really liked anywhere, even in the UK (where
people are quite neutral)

06 Dec 2004 12:10:18