06 Jan 2006 23:06:52
Dr. GroundAxe
Talk about reaching.

I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
following considered 'tough' competition

Minar- Not a title to his name

Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.

Baghdatis- Another nobody.

Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.


Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.


06 Jan 2006 23:12:19
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Talk about reaching.

Dr. GroundAxe wrote:

> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. [SNIP]

I am sure that it is accidental that you appear to catch every Federer
match and find every Federer article.

I find it quite funny.

Cheers,

vc :-)


06 Jan 2006 15:12:18
Adam Thirnis
Re: Talk about reaching.


Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
> following considered 'tough' competition
>
> Minar- Not a title to his name
>
> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>
> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>
> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>
>
> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.

It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
keyboard and an interent connection?



06 Jan 2006 23:22:40
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: Talk about reaching.

Vari L. Cinicke wrote:
> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>
>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. [SNIP]
>
> I am sure that it is accidental that you appear to catch every Federer
> match and find every Federer article.
>
> I find it quite funny.
>
> Cheers,
>
> vc :-)


I'm a tennis fan. Why would it be odd for me to be watching tennis?


06 Jan 2006 15:23:36
=?iso-8859-1?q?Javier_Gonz=E1l
Re: Talk about reaching.

Adam Thirnis wrote:
> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
> keyboard and an interent connection?

You forgot the boasted-in-usenet PhD ;)



06 Jan 2006 23:24:05
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: Talk about reaching.

Adam Thirnis wrote:
> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>
>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>
>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>
>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>
>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>>
>>
>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>
> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
> keyboard and an interent connection?
>

Nobody is denying he is a 'great' player. I just get bored with people
talking up the competition.


06 Jan 2006 23:26:03
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Talk about reaching.

Dr. GroundAxe wrote:

> Adam Thirnis wrote:
>
>> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>>
>>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
>>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>>
>>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>>
>>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>>
>>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>>
>>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really
>>> delivered.
>>>
>>>
>>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>>
>>
>> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
>> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
>> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
>> keyboard and an interent connection?
>>
>
> Nobody is denying he is a 'great' player. I just get bored with people
> talking up the competition.

'Nice' use of quotes. ;-)

Cheers,

vc


06 Jan 2006 23:27:00
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Talk about reaching.

Javier González Nicolini wrote:

> Adam Thirnis wrote:
>
>>It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
>>Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
>>After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
>>keyboard and an interent connection?
>
>
> You forgot the boasted-in-usenet PhD ;)
>

One and the same, methinks.

Cheers,

vc ;-)


06 Jan 2006 15:28:30
wkhedr
Re: Talk about reaching.

Why do watch if you get annoyed?
Then you come and complain here in the group!
Then nobody agrees with you, and then you get annoyed again!!
Honestly I think it has to be painful for you except you really enjoy
it!!



06 Jan 2006 23:33:07
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Talk about reaching.

wkhedr wrote:

> Why do watch if you get annoyed?
> Then you come and complain here in the group!
> Then nobody agrees with you, and then you get annoyed again!!
> Honestly I think it has to be painful for you except you really enjoy
> it!!
>

Perhaps Groundie can watch its beloved Nadal beat Coria over 5 sets and
5 hours and 14 minutes over and over.

High quality match!

What about it, Groundsterer? Forget about the Pretenderer to the throne! ;-)

Cheers,

vc


07 Jan 2006 00:51:39
GregRupedski
Re: Talk about reaching.


"Adam Thirnis" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
> > I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
> > commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
> > blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
> > this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
> > following considered 'tough' competition
> >
> > Minar- Not a title to his name
> >
> > Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
> >
> > Baghdatis- Another nobody.
> >
> > Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really
delivered.
> >
> >
> > Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
> > faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>
> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
> keyboard and an interent connection?

Totally uncalled for. Groundaxe didn't say Federer wasn't good. He simply
made a point about the hyperbole regarding Federer's competition. A valid
point. But, Groundaxe, what do you expect them to say? "Yes, Federer is
winning but really these guys aren't that good, this tourney is second
rate!" It's their job, you really can't pay too much attention to what
commentators say. A lot is ignorant or intentional exaggeration.




07 Jan 2006 11:53:46
Whisper
Re: Talk about reaching.

Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
> following considered 'tough' competition
>
> Minar- Not a title to his name
>
> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>
> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>
> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>
>
> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.



Because if they didn't there would be nothing to say - have to beat it
up somehow....



07 Jan 2006 11:55:00
Whisper
Re: Talk about reaching.

Adam Thirnis wrote:
> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>
>>I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
>>this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>>following considered 'tough' competition
>>
>>Minar- Not a title to his name
>>
>>Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>
>>Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>
>>Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>>
>>
>>Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>>faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>
>
> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
> keyboard and an interent connection?
>


All the greats talk about the current champs - I remeber everyone raving
about Becker (including Hoad), but he's never mentioned today.

ceibs.



07 Jan 2006 12:00:25
Whisper
Re: Talk about reaching.

Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
> Adam Thirnis wrote:
>
>> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>>
>>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
>>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>>
>>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>>
>>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>>
>>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>>
>>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really
>>> delivered.
>>>
>>>
>>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>>
>>
>> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
>> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
>> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
>> keyboard and an interent connection?
>>
>
> Nobody is denying he is a 'great' player. I just get bored with people
> talking up the competition.



Yes - they use this supposedly 'tough competition' to bridge the 14 v 6
slam gap with Sampras - with a straight face presumably....


07 Jan 2006 01:31:37
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: Talk about reaching.

Whisper wrote:
> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>> Adam Thirnis wrote:
>>
>>> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>>>
>>>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying
>>>> all
>>>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>>>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>>>
>>>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>>>
>>>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>>>
>>>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>>>
>>>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really
>>>> delivered.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>>>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>>>
>>>
>>> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
>>> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
>>> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
>>> keyboard and an interent connection?
>>>
>>
>> Nobody is denying he is a 'great' player. I just get bored with people
>> talking up the competition.
>
>
>
> Yes - they use this supposedly 'tough competition' to bridge the 14 v 6
> slam gap with Sampras - with a straight face presumably....



I put this down to marketing. To have the GOAT in active competition
would be a real plus, but Sampras is retired and finished with tennis.
So instead it seems the plan is to take a possible contender to the GOAT
crown and elevate him to that level. By giving Federer this short cut
the tennis media/commentators (and anyone else whose business it is to
prompte tennis) can trot out stuff like...'what a time to be a tennis
fan with Federer the GOAT playing'. There is always someone being touted
as the new GOAT, but the accolade only sticks to the guy that truly
deserves it. Here is a piece about Hewitt....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon/sports_talk/2110600.stm

Seems some folk thought he was a contender for the crown!



07 Jan 2006 12:43:08
Whisper
Re: Talk about reaching.

Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
> Whisper wrote:
>
>>
>> Yes - they use this supposedly 'tough competition' to bridge the 14 v
>> 6 slam gap with Sampras - with a straight face presumably....
>
>
>
>
> I put this down to marketing. To have the GOAT in active competition
> would be a real plus, but Sampras is retired and finished with tennis.
> So instead it seems the plan is to take a possible contender to the GOAT
> crown and elevate him to that level. By giving Federer this short cut
> the tennis media/commentators (and anyone else whose business it is to
> prompte tennis) can trot out stuff like...'what a time to be a tennis
> fan with Federer the GOAT playing'. There is always someone being touted
> as the new GOAT, but the accolade only sticks to the guy that truly
> deserves it. Here is a piece about Hewitt....
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon/sports_talk/2110600.stm
>
> Seems some folk thought he was a contender for the crown!
>


Exactly what I'm talking about here. There are no short cuts for anyone
- everyone has to do it the traditional way...


06 Jan 2006 22:28:44
drew
Re: Talk about reaching.


Whisper wrote:
> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
> > I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
> > commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
> > blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
> > this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
> > following considered 'tough' competition
> >
> > Minar- Not a title to his name
> >
> > Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
> >
> > Baghdatis- Another nobody.
> >
> > Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
> >
> >
> > Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
> > faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>
>
>
> Because if they didn't there would be nothing to say - have to beat it
> up somehow....

Sort of like you attempting to interest people with the same recycled
cat piss, year after year? I think not as bad.



06 Jan 2006 15:27:02
Re: Talk about reaching.

Adam Thirnis wrote:
> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
> > I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
> > commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
> > blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
> > this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
> > following considered 'tough' competition
> >
> > Minar- Not a title to his name
> >
> > Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
> >
> > Baghdatis- Another nobody.
> >
> > Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
> >
> >
> > Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
> > faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>
> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
> keyboard and an interent connection?

Hey! He's a clueless *imbecile* with an internet connection.



06 Jan 2006 15:27:07
Re: Talk about reaching.

Adam Thirnis wrote:
> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
> > I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
> > commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
> > blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
> > this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
> > following considered 'tough' competition
> >
> > Minar- Not a title to his name
> >
> > Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
> >
> > Baghdatis- Another nobody.
> >
> > Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
> >
> >
> > Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
> > faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>
> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
> keyboard and an interent connection?

Hey! He's a clueless *imbecile* with an internet connection.



06 Jan 2006 16:58:21
Re: Talk about reaching.


Dr. GroundAxe wrote:

> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
> following considered 'tough' competition
>
> Minar- Not a title to his name
>
> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>
> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>
> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>
>
> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.

That's strange - I listened to the commentary and never heard any of
his previous opponents described as tough - in fact both McMillan and
Simon Reed remarked that Federer's form had been patchy in his first 3
matches.

They mentioned that both players were playing well at the start but
then Federer raised his game at the end of the first set - a fairly
accurate summary after I watched the match later on.

I find McMillan excellent and loath to give undue praise - he is good
at summarising things from both a technical and tactical point of view.



06 Jan 2006 17:03:58
Re: Talk about reaching.

> Totally uncalled for. Groundaxe didn't say Federer wasn't good. He simply
> made a point about the hyperbole regarding Federer's competition. A valid
> point. But, Groundaxe, what do you expect them to say? "Yes, Federer is
> winning but really these guys aren't that good, this tourney is second
> rate!" It's their job, you really can't pay too much attention to what
> commentators say. A lot is ignorant or intentional exaggeration.

The competition in this tournament is not particularly strong - mainly
because there are two other tournaments happening this week which is
splitting the top players.

In saying that Ljubicic could have been tough but he switched to
Chennai once Nadal dropped out (where the field is even weaker).
Gasquet could have been interesting had he been fit, and Davydenko is
no 4 in the world.



07 Jan 2006 21:41:02
Whisper
Re: Talk about reaching.

[email protected] wrote:
and Davydenko is
> no 4 in the world.
>


That is really fucking sad..... : (



07 Jan 2006 19:07:46
Dave Hazelwood
Re: Talk about reaching.

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:41:02 +1100, Whisper <[email protected] > wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
> and Davydenko is
>> no 4 in the world.
>>
>
>
>That is really fucking sad..... : (

Davydenko would beat Sampras on clay.

No brainer.


07 Jan 2006 22:17:47
Whisper
Re: Talk about reaching.

Dave Hazelwood wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:41:02 +1100, Whisper <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>> and Davydenko is
>>
>>>no 4 in the world.
>>>
>>
>>
>>That is really fucking sad..... : (
>
>
> Davydenko would beat Sampras on clay.
>
> No brainer.


Davydenko wouldn't beat me on clay let alone Sampras....


07 Jan 2006 19:27:01
Dave Hazelwood
Re: Talk about reaching.

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 22:17:47 +1100, Whisper <[email protected] > wrote:

>Dave Hazelwood wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:41:02 +1100, Whisper <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>[email protected] wrote:
>>> and Davydenko is
>>>
>>>>no 4 in the world.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>That is really fucking sad..... : (
>>
>>
>> Davydenko would beat Sampras on clay.
>>
>> No brainer.
>
>
>Davydenko wouldn't beat me on clay let alone Sampras....


How Christmas with Tony Roche gave Federer the gift he wanted most
Margie McDonald
January 07, 2006

IT was December 2004 and Roger Federer had won three of the year's four Grand Slams. But he felt something was missing and he knew who could give it to him: Tony Roche.

Having already been rebuffed once by the coaching guru, Federer still flew to Sydney to meet Roche.

It was that persistence, Roche revealed publicly for the first time yesterday, and the fact the Swiss star was prepared to give up Christmas at home to practise with him that
helped convince the Australian to change his mind and take Federer under his wing.

Roche, 60, farewelled the tennis circuit full-time after Pat Rafter's retirement in 2002. He coached Ivan Lendl to eight Grand Slam singles titles and Rafter to two. He initially
said "no" to Federer when they met in Dubai in October 2004 to train together and discuss a possible link-up.

"I wanted to do it in the first place but I just felt I wasn't able to give him the time he would require and what he deserved, and I didn't want to let him down," Roche said in a
rare interview yesterday.

"... there was also the thing of being on the road for so long again."

But Federer wasn't to be denied and asked if he could join Roche at his Sydney home in December to train with him.

"When he came out here he said 'whatever time you can give me I'd be happy with'," Roche said. "And I just thought it was such a great honour, in lots of ways, to be approached by
Roger in the first place.

"I thought, 'Gee, he's come all the way out here the week before Christmas and sacrificed that. Maybe I should give it a shot and see how it goes'."

Federer said this week he understood that Roche declined his offer but he could not let go of the chance to learn from the Australian.

"It's very simple to me," Federer said from Doha, where he is playing in the Qatar Open. "It's just the experience he has from seeing so many matches, from playing at the highest
level himself and seeing the greats like Lendl, Rafter and all the players who played against them.

"He spends a lot of time talking on the practice courts. It's that quality time together, this is what brings me further.

"What he knows about the game and what I know about the game, when that comes together it's very pleasing."

Thus another partnership between a world No.1 was forged.

So what is it about Roche, born in Tarcutta, in southern NSW, in May 1945, that makes some of the world's most talented players seek his services?

He doesn't sign contracts, which did not faze the meticulous Lendl in the least.

"Tony is a man of his word and we did not need any documents," Lendl said from Florida this week. "Just his word was good enough for me."

Fred Stolle said a close understanding between coach and player is a Roche trademark. "The first thing is the respect from the guys that he coaches," Stolle said.

"With Lendl, he specifically got him to try to volley better so he could win Wimbledon. Tony tried to teach him how to work his way into the net, because Lendl was not a natural
volleyer, and he got close to getting him a Wimbledon [title].

"With Federer, he's got Rochey to try to get him to win the French Open. That means he's got to slice a little more, serve-and-volley on more occasions on the clay.

"Both those players knew what he was trying to do for them and they respected him. Tony's not trying to change anybody's game; he's trying to add elements to their game."

Roche has juggled two low-key coaching/training duties alongside Federer: India's Sania Mirza, as a favour to his former Davis Cup friend, Jaideep Mukherjea, and young Sydneysider
Sophie Ferguson, both 18, but would no doubt apply the same principles to all three.

Lendl, as well as Federer, spoke of the strong friendship that came as a result of working with Roche.

"Tony is great with feel for the player on and off the court," Lendl said. "We never looked at any films or matches.

"The best part of Tony as a coach was that he was a great player and was in the pressure situations and knew how to handle them.

"As a person Tony was just a great guy and a great friend ... he would let me win at golf most of the time."

Federer was attracted by the experience Roche had as a player -- he won the French and Italian Open (1966) on clay, reached the final of Wimbledon (1968, losing to Rod Laver) and
the semi-finals of the Australian Open (1969) on grass and was twice runner-up at the US Open (1969-70) on a hardcourt -- and as a coach.

Their association has produced two more Grand Slam titles for Federer: Wimbledon and the US Open last year.

John Alexander who, like Stolle, joined Roche in championship-winning Davis Cup teams in the 1960s and 70s, believes Roche represents what the game lost when sports scientists,
biomechanists, psychologists "and other gurus" got involved 20 years ago.

"The game used to pass from one generation of great tennis players to the next," Alexander said. "Your tutors were great tennis players. Wherever you see 'a Tony Roche' involved
with somebody, you have great results."

Roche was coached by one of the best, Harry Hopman, who won three Australian Open doubles titles and then as captain of the Davis Cup team guided Australia to 15 victories from
1950-1969, including three with Roche in his team.

"Tony, in Harry Hopman's care, got to appreciate the physical fitness side of tennis, and the development of your game in going for your shots, regardless of the score," Alexander
said. "He was a thoughtful and cunning tennis player himself and he brought that to Rafter, Lendl, and now Roger.

"If you wanted to find out where the holes were in a player ranked between 20 or 40 in the world, you would watch Tony Roche play them and you'd be surprised how simple he made the
lesson on how to beat someone."

When Roche started to coach Davis Cup, Mark Woodforde said proudly he gravitated towards Roche.

"When I wasn't (on court), just sitting with Rochey in the stands ... I just wanted to suck the information right out of him," Woodforde said. "He had so much to tell you but he
never sat there saying, 'listen to me'. (But) it was so easy to ask questions.

"He's got old school in him; he fully expected you to put in the hard work, not just to have quality practice sessions, but put in the quantity as well."

And although Roche looks the serious, silent-type in the players' box, Federer paints a different picture away from the public eye.

"Tony is a very relaxed guy, a very funny guy," Federer said. "I was surprised how funny he was, actually. It's always a good time when we're together, it's never boring travelling
with him. He's had so much experience as a human being, as a person."

Additional reporting: Andrew McGarry


07 Jan 2006 22:33:34
Whisper
Re: Talk about reaching.

Dave Hazelwood wrote:


>
> When Roche started to coach Davis Cup, Mark Woodforde said proudly he gravitated towards Roche.
>
> "When I wasn't (on court), just sitting with Rochey in the stands ... I just wanted to suck the information right out of him," Woodforde said.


Bums to the wall - woodies on the loose....


07 Jan 2006 22:10:09
Sakari Lund
Re: Talk about reaching.

On 6 Jan 2006 16:58:21 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>
>Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>
>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>
>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>
>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>
>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>
>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>>
>>
>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>
>That's strange - I listened to the commentary and never heard any of
>his previous opponents described as tough - in fact both McMillan and
>Simon Reed remarked that Federer's form had been patchy in his first 3
>matches.
>
>They mentioned that both players were playing well at the start but
>then Federer raised his game at the end of the first set - a fairly
>accurate summary after I watched the match later on.
>
>I find McMillan excellent and loath to give undue praise - he is good
>at summarising things from both a technical and tactical point of view.

Yes, I used to get Eurosport in English several years ago, and
McMillan is easily the best tennis commentator I have ever heard.





07 Jan 2006 20:17:05
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Talk about reaching.

Sakari Lund wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2006 16:58:21 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
>
>>Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>>commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>>blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
>>>this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>>>following considered 'tough' competition
>>>
>>>Minar- Not a title to his name
>>>
>>>Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>>
>>>Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>>
>>>Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>>>
>>>
>>>Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>>>faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>>
>>That's strange - I listened to the commentary and never heard any of
>>his previous opponents described as tough - in fact both McMillan and
>>Simon Reed remarked that Federer's form had been patchy in his first 3
>>matches.
>>
>>They mentioned that both players were playing well at the start but
>>then Federer raised his game at the end of the first set - a fairly
>>accurate summary after I watched the match later on.
>>
>>I find McMillan excellent and loath to give undue praise - he is good
>>at summarising things from both a technical and tactical point of view.
>
>
> Yes, I used to get Eurosport in English several years ago, and
> McMillan is easily the best tennis commentator I have ever heard.
>
>
>

Makes sense. If Groundie hates it, it is probably damn good.

Cheers,

vc


07 Jan 2006 21:44:18
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: Talk about reaching.

[email protected] wrote:
> Adam Thirnis wrote:
>> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
>>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>>
>>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>>
>>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>>
>>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>>
>>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>>>
>>>
>>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
>> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
>> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
>> keyboard and an interent connection?
>
> Hey! He's a clueless *imbecile* with an internet connection.
>



In the kingdom of the blind...


07 Jan 2006 21:44:44
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: Talk about reaching.

[email protected] wrote:
> Adam Thirnis wrote:
>> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying all
>>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>>
>>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>>
>>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>>
>>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>>
>>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really delivered.
>>>
>>>
>>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>> It makes me laugh to hear former champs like McEnroe, Wilander,
>> Courier, Lendl, Connors etc talk about what a great player Federer is.
>> After all what do they know compared to some clueless idiot with a
>> keyboard and an interent connection?
>
> Hey! He's a clueless *imbecile* with an internet connection.
>



Seems to be an echo in here.


07 Jan 2006 21:46:05
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: Talk about reaching.

Vari L. Cinicke wrote:
> Sakari Lund wrote:
>
>> On 6 Jan 2006 16:58:21 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is destroying
>>>> all
>>>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are the
>>>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>>>
>>>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>>>
>>>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>>>
>>>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>>>
>>>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really
>>>> delivered.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition Federer
>>>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>>>
>>> That's strange - I listened to the commentary and never heard any of
>>> his previous opponents described as tough - in fact both McMillan and
>>> Simon Reed remarked that Federer's form had been patchy in his first 3
>>> matches.
>>>
>>> They mentioned that both players were playing well at the start but
>>> then Federer raised his game at the end of the first set - a fairly
>>> accurate summary after I watched the match later on.
>>>
>>> I find McMillan excellent and loath to give undue praise - he is good
>>> at summarising things from both a technical and tactical point of view.
>>
>>
>> Yes, I used to get Eurosport in English several years ago, and
>> McMillan is easily the best tennis commentator I have ever heard.
>>
>>
>>
>
> Makes sense. If Groundie hates it, it is probably damn good.
>
> Cheers,
>
> vc



I hate American cars too. Bang goes that theory.


07 Jan 2006 21:49:10
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Talk about reaching.

Dr. GroundAxe wrote:

> Vari L. Cinicke wrote:
>
>> Sakari Lund wrote:
>>
>>> On 6 Jan 2006 16:58:21 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Dr. GroundAxe wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> I was watching Eurosport today and caught some of Federer vs Haas. The
>>>>> commentators really need to get a clue. They spent most of the time
>>>>> blatherng on about Federer's imperious form and how he is
>>>>> destroying all
>>>>> this tough competition in the tournament. In what bizzaro world are
>>>>> the
>>>>> following considered 'tough' competition
>>>>>
>>>>> Minar- Not a title to his name
>>>>>
>>>>> Santoro- Well over 30 now. 4 minor single titles.
>>>>>
>>>>> Baghdatis- Another nobody.
>>>>>
>>>>> Haas- Was hyped up a lot when he was younger, but never really
>>>>> delivered.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Why do the press/media feel the need to talk up the competition
>>>>> Federer
>>>>> faces? Frew McMillan is a particularly egregious Fedophant.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> That's strange - I listened to the commentary and never heard any of
>>>> his previous opponents described as tough - in fact both McMillan and
>>>> Simon Reed remarked that Federer's form had been patchy in his first 3
>>>> matches.
>>>>
>>>> They mentioned that both players were playing well at the start but
>>>> then Federer raised his game at the end of the first set - a fairly
>>>> accurate summary after I watched the match later on.
>>>>
>>>> I find McMillan excellent and loath to give undue praise - he is good
>>>> at summarising things from both a technical and tactical point of view.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Yes, I used to get Eurosport in English several years ago, and
>>> McMillan is easily the best tennis commentator I have ever heard.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Makes sense. If Groundie hates it, it is probably damn good.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> vc
>
>
>
>
> I hate American cars too. Bang goes that theory.

You seem the Hummer type. Plus, I am not sensing any passion behind that
statement of yours about the American cars.

When you rant and rave, then I may reconsider.

Cheers,

vc