27 Nov 2004 20:49:08
Simone Ritchie
Seles thinking about retiring

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm

An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis

28 Nov 2004 00:00:55
Luke Tang
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

Bless her for all she has done for tennis

"Simone Ritchie" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
>
> An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
> gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis

28 Nov 2004 11:33:05
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] (Simone Ritchie) wrote:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
>
> An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
> gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis

I posted a link to an interview with Seles just a few days ago, in which
she said she'll decide in January and she'd like to play another year but
it depends on her foot.

wg

28 Nov 2004 15:40:23
bob
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"Luke Tang" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Bless her for all she has done for tennis

especially the 3 yr semi retirement for the cut on the back..she should've
been back on court in 3 mos, maximum.

bob

> "Simone Ritchie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
>>
>> An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
>> gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis

28 Nov 2004 19:18:41
Adam Thirnis
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

[email protected] (Simone Ritchie) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
>
> An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
> gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis

I'm glad she's retiring. The sight of her dragging that flabby torso round
a tennis court was getting too much

28 Nov 2004 12:08:16
The Terminator
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"Luke Tang" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Bless her for all she has done for tennis
>
> "Simone Ritchie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
> >
> > An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
> > gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis

The perennial overachiever Seles retires. Good for tennis. Time for
the Williamses and Capraiti and all losers from Bollitieri academy to
retire.

28 Nov 2004 14:43:53
Robert B. Waltz
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

[email protected] (The Terminator) wrote:

[ ... ]

> The perennial overachiever Seles retires. Good for tennis. Time for
> the Williamses and Capraiti and all losers from Bollitieri academy to
> retire.

Hasn't anyone around here ever heard of "nil nisi bonum"? She's
retiring, for pity's sake. I'm no fan of Seles, but it's always
sad when injury takes a player down, and it's especially sad in
Seles's case, since she very likely would not have gotten so out
of shape (and hence suffered all the problems) had she not been
stabbed.

And since when has "overachiever" been an insult?

--
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
-- unknown (at least to me)

28 Nov 2004 19:50:45
StephenJ
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

> > Bless her for all she has done for tennis
>
> especially the 3 yr semi retirement for the cut on the back..she should've
> been back on court in 3 mos, maximum.

Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the situation,
which you aren't qualified to judge...

PS - i thought Seles retired 3 yrs ago. ;)

--
Congratulations to George W Bush !

28 Nov 2004 20:25:27
David Henry
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Simone Ritchie) wrote:
>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
>>
>> An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
>> gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis
>
> I posted a link to an interview with Seles just a few days ago, in which
> she said she'll decide in January and she'd like to play another year but
> it depends on her foot.
>
> wg

What I never have been able to understand is why Seles' foot is taking so
long to heal.

Last I recall, it was a hairline fracture. Seles hasn't played since two
French Open's ago -- that's a year and a half! What is so tricky about the
injury that is taking so long to heal?

To a degree, it's probably better that Seles just retire instead of dragging
things out. It's just time for her to move on to the next phase of her life.
I don't see Seles as a tennis coach -- her approach to the game and her
mechanics are too unorthodox to really teach someone. I also don't see her
as a commentator. Whatever Monica does, I doubt it will have anything to do
with tennis or athletics.

Which brings me to another point: what does Seles do outside of tennis? What
interests does she have that she could turn into a post-tennis career?

Dave

29 Nov 2004 22:38:51
Whisper

Adam Thirnis wrote:

> [email protected] (Simone Ritchie) wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
>>
>>An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
>>gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis
>

> I'm glad she's retiring. The sight of her dragging that flabby torso round
> a tennis court was getting too much

Sadly, you have a point....

29 Nov 2004 08:18:27
Robert B. Waltz
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"David Henry" <[email protected] > wrote:

[ ... ]

> What I never have been able to understand is why Seles' foot is taking so
> long to heal.
>
> Last I recall, it was a hairline fracture. Seles hasn't played since two
> French Open's ago -- that's a year and a half! What is so tricky about the
> injury that is taking so long to heal?

The problem is that the foot is chronic. This was not her first
stress fracture. The whole bone is weakened; without having heard
an official statement, I strongly suspect it will *never* be right.
So when she plays, she naturally suffers pain. Evidently enough
pain that she can't really play.

Losing a lot of weight might help; less pounding on the foot.
So might the right footware. But it may be tough for her to lose
weight when she can't run, and footware can only do so much.

My suspicion is that Seles has no chance of returning, but is
only now facing up to it after a year and a half of foot pain.

> To a degree, it's probably better that Seles just retire instead of dragging
> things out. It's just time for her to move on to the next phase of her life.
> I don't see Seles as a tennis coach -- her approach to the game and her
> mechanics are too unorthodox to really teach someone. I also don't see her
> as a commentator. Whatever Monica does, I doubt it will have anything to do
> with tennis or athletics.
>
> Which brings me to another point: what does Seles do outside of tennis? What
> interests does she have that she could turn into a post-tennis career?

She could always do ice cream pitches. :-)

--
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
-- unknown (at least to me)

29 Nov 2004 23:17:03
bob
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"StephenJ" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>> > Bless her for all she has done for tennis
>>
>> especially the 3 yr semi retirement for the cut on the back..she
>> should've
>> been back on court in 3 mos, maximum.
>
> Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the situation,
> which you aren't qualified to judge...

i don't mean it to sound cruel, because i abhor what happened to seles in
hamburg and it could've been a great rivalry, we'll never know..but i
believe her staying out of tennis that long wasn't from the stabbing, i
believe she got out of shape, and then was too lazy to get back in "tennis"
shape..

> PS - i thought Seles retired 3 yrs ago. ;)

i was thinking the other day, "what ever happened to seles?"

bob

29 Nov 2004 23:17:44
bob
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"The Terminator" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Luke Tang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Bless her for all she has done for tennis
>>
>> "Simone Ritchie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
>> >
>> > An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
>> > gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis
>
> The perennial overachiever Seles retires. Good for tennis. Time for
> the Williamses and Capraiti and all losers from Bollitieri academy to
> retire.

yeah, that maria sharapova should get out of the game, she's a disgrace.

bob

30 Nov 2004 18:55:38
Whisper

bob wrote:
> "StephenJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

>>>especially the 3 yr semi retirement for the cut on the back..she
>>>should've
>>>been back on court in 3 mos, maximum.
>>
>>Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the situation,
>>which you aren't qualified to judge...
>

> i don't mean it to sound cruel, because i abhor what happened to seles in
> hamburg and it could've been a great rivalry, we'll never know..but i

Yes, at the time I was pretty pissed about it (looking forward to many
more Graf battles). I naively hoped she'd be right by FO a couple weeks
later. I was amazed she didn't come back by USO, & then missing 2 more
yrs really killed her career off.

I hold her 95% responsible for staying away so long - she coulda
benefitted from some life perspective (eg given Sep 11-type events it
really wasn't a big deal).

30 Nov 2004 10:56:52
StephenJ
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

> > Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the
situation,
> > which you aren't qualified to judge...
>
> i don't mean it to sound cruel, because i abhor what happened to seles in
> hamburg and it could've been a great rivalry, we'll never know..but i
> believe her staying out of tennis that long wasn't from the stabbing, i
> believe she got out of shape, and then was too lazy to get back in
"tennis"
> shape..

Again, you don't have evidence for that assertion. No reason to mistrust
what she said, which was that she was too tramautized to play...

--
Congratulations to George W Bush !

30 Nov 2004 19:00:35
Jérôme
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"bob" <[email protected] > a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]

> "StephenJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

>>> especially the 3 yr semi retirement for the cut on the back..she
>>> should've
>>> been back on court in 3 mos, maximum.
>>
>> Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the
>> situation,
>> which you aren't qualified to judge...
>
> i don't mean it to sound cruel, because i abhor what happened to seles in
> hamburg and it could've been a great rivalry, we'll never know..but i
> believe her staying out of tennis that long wasn't from the stabbing, i
> believe she got out of shape, and then was too lazy to get back in
> "tennis" shape..
>
>> PS - i thought Seles retired 3 yrs ago. ;)
>
> i was thinking the other day, "what ever happened to seles?"
>
> bob

I think the point was more a nervous breakdown cause by the sick german
beast.

30 Nov 2004 22:50:37
Adrian Collins
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"bob" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "StephenJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

>>> especially the 3 yr semi retirement for the cut on the back..she
>>> should've
>>> been back on court in 3 mos, maximum.
>>
>> Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the
>> situation,
>> which you aren't qualified to judge...
>
> i don't mean it to sound cruel, because i abhor what happened to seles in
> hamburg and it could've been a great rivalry, we'll never know..but i
> believe her staying out of tennis that long wasn't from the stabbing, i
> believe she got out of shape, and then was too lazy to get back in
> "tennis" shape..

Well, regardless of the 'what ifs' which nobody will never ever know the
answer to, she still had a pretty decent record after the stabbing, although
of course not as good as she was before but I would bet that most players
outside the top 20 would love that 1995onwards record.

30 Nov 2004 18:32:27
StephenJ
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

> Well, regardless of the 'what ifs' which nobody will never ever know the
> answer to, she still had a pretty decent record after the stabbing,
although
> of course not as good as she was before but I would bet that most players
> outside the top 20 would love that 1995onwards record.

Yes, but that's irrelevant.

--
Congratulations to George W Bush !

01 Dec 2004 02:08:16
bob
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"StephenJ" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>> > Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the
> situation,
>> > which you aren't qualified to judge...
>>
>> i don't mean it to sound cruel, because i abhor what happened to seles in
>> hamburg and it could've been a great rivalry, we'll never know..but i
>> believe her staying out of tennis that long wasn't from the stabbing, i
>> believe she got out of shape, and then was too lazy to get back in
> "tennis"
>> shape..
>
> Again, you don't have evidence for that assertion. No reason to mistrust
> what she said, which was that she was too tramautized to play...

no reason to take that at face value either, she had a motive to say it of
course..

bob

01 Dec 2004 02:11:55
bob
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"Jérôme" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "bob" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]
>>
>> "StephenJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>>> Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the
>>> situation,
>>> which you aren't qualified to judge...
>>
>> i don't mean it to sound cruel, because i abhor what happened to seles in
>> hamburg and it could've been a great rivalry, we'll never know..but i
>> believe her staying out of tennis that long wasn't from the stabbing, i
>> believe she got out of shape, and then was too lazy to get back in
>> "tennis" shape..
>>
>>> PS - i thought Seles retired 3 yrs ago. ;)
>>
>> i was thinking the other day, "what ever happened to seles?"
>>
>> bob
>
> I think the point was more a nervous breakdown cause by the sick german
> beast.

i think that's possible, but then again, a nervous breakdown shouldn't have
been warranted from what happened, IMO..i do understand that she
would/should be distraught, but she was not seriously injured after all, and
the guy was caught, after all..catching a criminal usually goes a long way
towards improving the mental state of victims..

i honestly think she got fat within 1-2mos, and knew it'd be a long road to
get back to the top from that pt, so milked it.....

bob

01 Dec 2004 02:12:52
bob
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"Adrian Collins" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "StephenJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>>> Way out of bounds to say that, it ignores the psychology of the
>>> situation,
>>> which you aren't qualified to judge...
>>
>> i don't mean it to sound cruel, because i abhor what happened to seles in
>> hamburg and it could've been a great rivalry, we'll never know..but i
>> believe her staying out of tennis that long wasn't from the stabbing, i
>> believe she got out of shape, and then was too lazy to get back in
>> "tennis" shape..
>>

> Well, regardless of the 'what ifs' which nobody will never ever know the
> answer to,

actually, i bet lots of people know the answer to this, just not many in
RST.

bob

30 Nov 2004 21:39:49
StephenJ
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

> > Again, you don't have evidence for that assertion. No reason to mistrust
> > what she said, which was that she was too tramautized to play...
>
> no reason to take that at face value either, she had a motive to say it of
> course..

What would the motive be?

--
Congratulations to George W Bush !

01 Dec 2004 14:20:18
bob
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"StephenJ" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>> > Again, you don't have evidence for that assertion. No reason to
>> > mistrust
>> > what she said, which was that she was too tramautized to play...
>>
>> no reason to take that at face value either, she had a motive to say it
>> of
>> course..
>
> What would the motive be?

easier than saying "I fell in love with dunkin donuts".

bob

01 Dec 2004 09:40:38
StephenJ
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

> >> no reason to take that at face value either, she had a motive to say it
> >> of
> >> course..
> >
> > What would the motive be?
>
> easier than saying "I fell in love with dunkin donuts".

I'd say much more difficult... no one wants to be seen as someone with
psychological problems, trauma, etc.

--
Congratulations to George W Bush !

02 Dec 2004 01:46:02
bob
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

"StephenJ" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>> > What would the motive be?
>>
>> easier than saying "I fell in love with dunkin donuts".
>
> I'd say much more difficult... no one wants to be seen as someone with
> psychological problems, trauma, etc.

worse to be mentally weak for donuts :-) everybody understood the reason
that was given, although i think it was milked far too long..and i'm not
condoning what happened in anyway, it was despicable..

bob

03 Dec 2004 08:07:45
Rose___
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

.
> Adam Thirnis wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Simone Ritchie) wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >

> >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4047821.stm
> >>
> >>An era coming to an end. I remember her for all the close fights she
> >>gave to Steffi Graf. Best of luck to her for life after tennis

It's really sad. How soon we "forget" not only that she was stabbed
on court but that the German courts let her attacker go with no jail
time, and that her competitors in the cutthroat business of tennis
showed little sympathy.

I have to admit that early on I wasn't a fan but she was obviously a
tremendous competitor - wasn't it in the French open final that she
beat Graf after trailing 6-1 in a tiebreak? and it was just that
fearlessness that she naturally lost.

Rosemary

03 Dec 2004 17:56:52
StephenJ
Re: Seles thinking about retiring

> It's really sad. How soon we "forget" not only that she was stabbed
> on court but that the German courts let her attacker go with no jail
> time

Yes, the whole German legal system is an embarrassment, but apparently it
wasn't just re Seles - the German system treats most violent offenders that
way. It's a rotten system...

> and that her competitors in the cutthroat business of tennis
> showed little sympathy.

Can't blame them for that... they had to carry on...

--
Congratulations to George W Bush !