31 Oct 2006 15:09:47
Vari L. Cinicke
Paris - Andy Murray sounds tired

========
From http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/73311.html

"But I haven't had the sort of preparation that I would like for a
Masters tournament,' said the 19-year-old Scot.
"I'll just have to take it one match at a time. If I get through one
match I'll try to build on that, but I'm not expecting to do too well here."
Murray is weary at the end of what has been a long and eventful season
and his preparations have not been helped by a bruised hand, sustained
when he was hit by a stray ball from his practice partner Dimitry
Tursunov over the weekend. He also admitted that he may not have shaken
off the throat infection which caused him to miss last week's Davidoff
Swiss Indoors in Basle.
"My throat feels fine but I don't feel as strong as I did a couple of
weeks ago," he admitted, between handfuls of pick 'n' mix in the
players' lounge at the Palais Omnisports de Bercy.
========

Murray gets Chela in the 2R. Might not be a visual feast despite the
surface, I suspect.

--
Cheers,

vc

31 Oct 2006 15:23:06
Dr. GroundAxe
Re: Paris - Andy Murray sounds tired

Vari L. Cinicke wrote:
> ========
> From http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/73311.html
>
> "But I haven't had the sort of preparation that I would like for a
> Masters tournament,' said the 19-year-old Scot.
> "I'll just have to take it one match at a time. If I get through one
> match I'll try to build on that, but I'm not expecting to do too well
> here."
> Murray is weary at the end of what has been a long and eventful season
> and his preparations have not been helped by a bruised hand, sustained
> when he was hit by a stray ball from his practice partner Dimitry
> Tursunov over the weekend. He also admitted that he may not have shaken
> off the throat infection which caused him to miss last week's Davidoff
> Swiss Indoors in Basle.
> "My throat feels fine but I don't feel as strong as I did a couple of
> weeks ago," he admitted, between handfuls of pick 'n' mix in the
> players' lounge at the Palais Omnisports de Bercy.
> ========
>
> Murray gets Chela in the 2R. Might not be a visual feast despite the
> surface, I suspect.

It's called managing expectations. The other way of handling it was what
Henman did 'I'm feeling great going into this tournament, I have a lot
of confidence, and I really feel like I can do very well here'. Far
better to say you expect to fail, then if you do perform well you can
claim it was against the odds.