06 Jan 2006 09:01:31
Hawkeye likely to be used at Wimbledon or US Open this year ...

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17748265-23216,00.html

Very positive reaction from Hopman Cup.

Federer is the only player I've heard who is dead against using
technology so he may lose out on this one...

06 Jan 2006 14:32:37
HardCell
Re: Hawkeye likely to be used at Wimbledon or US Open this year ...

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17748265-23216,00.html
>
> Very positive reaction from Hopman Cup.
>
> Federer is the only player I've heard who is dead against using
> technology so he may lose out on this one...

It proved an excellent innovation at the Hopman Cup. No real
delays at all from using it, certainly far less than the time spent when
players argue calls: the computer settled matters on the spot and
the crowd was entertained by it. Federer is dead wrong on this one.

07 Jan 2006 06:52:42
Whisper

[email protected] wrote:
> http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17748265-23216,00.html
>
> Very positive reaction from Hopman Cup.
>
> Federer is the only player I've heard who is dead against using
> technology so he may lose out on this one...

Apparently Hingis was annoying everyone by overusing it..... typical.

06 Jan 2006 14:57:59
HardCell
Re: Hawkeye likely to be used at Wimbledon or US Open this year ...

"Whisper" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [email protected] wrote:
>> http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17748265-23216,00.html
>>
>> Very positive reaction from Hopman Cup.
>>
>> Federer is the only player I've heard who is dead against using
>> technology so he may lose out on this one...
>>
> Apparently Hingis was annoying everyone by overusing it..... typical.

Yes, very. They may have to bring in some kind of limit to challenges
if there are many other Hingis types out there. At the Hopman Cup,
the players really didn't overdo it like that, and many of the challenges
were successful ones.

06 Jan 2006 13:09:44
topspin

HardCell wrote:
> "Whisper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17748265-23216,00.html
> >>
> >> Very positive reaction from Hopman Cup.
> >>
> >> Federer is the only player I've heard who is dead against using
> >> technology so he may lose out on this one...
> >>
> > Apparently Hingis was annoying everyone by overusing it..... typical.
>
> Yes, very. They may have to bring in some kind of limit to challenges
> if there are many other Hingis types out there. At the Hopman Cup,
> the players really didn't overdo it like that, and many of the challenges
> were successful ones.

It is another weapon for gamesmanship. If your opponent likes to get on
with the game it is a perfect tool for frustrating them with lots of
stoppages, especially if they are invalid.

I can see some players going wild at the stoppages.

08 Jan 2006 07:39:56
David White
Re: Hawkeye likely to be used at Wimbledon or US Open this year ...

"topspin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> It is another weapon for gamesmanship. If your opponent likes to get on
> with the game it is a perfect tool for frustrating them with lots of
> stoppages, especially if they are invalid.
>
> I can see some players going wild at the stoppages.

At the Hopman Cup I thought the commentators said at one point that it's up
to the umpire to allow a challenge or not, so they can simply reject
challenges they believe are frivolous. Of course, that rule would bring with
it another potential reason for a player to explode.

David