31 Dec 2006 11:26:59
Dave Hazelwood
Federer's dynasty will roll on

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-sptennis31dec31,0,6123860.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis

Federer's dynasty will roll on

Swiss star faces few challenges in GrandSlamquest.

By Charles Bricker
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

December 31, 2006

Though he won't play until Jan. 8, the fourth year of Roger Federer's
reign as the undisputed king of tennis begins Monday, and he appears
even more indomitable than 12 months ago.

There are a few pretenders who might trouble him, but only two players
in 2006, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, beat him and few would debate
that the Swiss great is capable of winning his 10th, 11th, 12th or
even a 13th Grand Slam title in 2007.

Sixth-ranked Andy Roddick, who had three match points against him at
the Masters Cup in November, before losing, believes he has narrowed
the gap between himself and the man who has whipped him 12 of 13
times.

Murray, the temperamental Scot who is at No. 17, is maturing and has
enough game to pull an upset in a major tournament, but it's unclear
if he has the emotional equilibrium at age 19 to take Federer down
again.

Nadal, No. 2, beat Federer four times in 2006, including the final of
the French Open, but a succession of big hitters, including Federer,
have laid bare Nadal's suspect forehand late in the season, and the
young Spaniard has to clean up his own game before he can think about
dethroning the champion.

And there is the x factor in 2007 -- 6-foot-6 Swede Joachim Johansson,
who is finally back from shoulder surgery and who has the one
ingredient necessary to whip Federer -- an overpowering game.

He and Federer have never played, but there is an intrigue about
Johansson, who combines a deadly serve with solid backcourt play and
surprising athletic ability for such a tall player.

In his first tournament back, in October, he upset Nadal in straight
sets and a week later upset No. 3 Nikolay Davydenko, then retired from
his next match with a throat infection.

There are other suspects out there -- Richard Gasquet of France, James
Blake of the U.S. and Ivan Ljubicic, but Federer has a firm command of
all of them.

Things are going to be much more tightly packed in the women's game.

Justine Henin-Hardenne starts the year at No. 1, but Maria Sharapova
and Amelie Mauresmo are within striking distance.

This will be the year that Kim Clijsters of Belgium, a former No. 1,
makes good on her promise to retire. Lindsay Davenport, who is
pregnant, probably also will retire. And who knows what the Williams
sisters will be doing?

They have had several weeks of embarrassment as defendants in a
breach-of-contract suit in Palm Beach County and, though they appear
to finally be fit enough to play, they have had so many injuries the
past three years that you're not certain they'll be there for the
biggest events.

Venus has slipped to No. 46 after playing only 19 matches this year
(13-6) and Serena is at No. 95. She was 12-4.

How long Henin-Hardenne stays on top is a function of her fitness.
She's taken more and more time off, either because of injury or as a
precaution against getting injured.

Sharapova, who played brilliantly to win the U.S. Open, is a strong
position to ascend to No. 1, and she's got enough power and talent to
stay there a long time.

Federer, meanwhile, has nearly a 4,000-point lead over Nadal. Even
with some slippage, he'll be at No. 1 a long time.

American prospects in men's tennis looked bleak after Wimbledon, but
Roddick and Blake had three months of sometimes spectacular play.
Roddick, who is going to do far more attacking inside the service line
this year, almost had Federer at the Masters Cup and Blake reached the
final there, losing to Federer in straight sets.

Among the best young players on the ATP tour are Marcos Baghdatis,
Tomas Berdych, Richard Gasquet and Novak Djokovic -- all top 20.

There are a also handful of rising stars expected to make a bigger
impact among the women -- Nicole Vaidisova of the Czech Republic, Anna
Chakvetadze of Russia and Ana Ivanovic of Serbia. But there are no
top-20 prospects among American women.

In fact, U.S. women won only three minor titles in 2006. That could
get a lot better if the Williams sisters can stay on court, though
that doesn't seem to be quite as good a bet as Federer winning another
12 titles in 2007.

Charles Bricker can be reached at [email protected]

31 Dec 2006 08:21:49
Hard\Cell
Re: Federer's dynasty will roll on

"Dave Hazelwood" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-sptennis31dec31,0,6123860.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis
>

> Federer's dynasty will roll on
>
> Swiss star faces few challenges in GrandSlamquest.

This seems awfully close to an admission of the dreaded C***n Era.

Beware when everyone is saying you can't lose, though.

> [...]
> Roddick, who is going to do far more attacking inside the service line
> this year, almost had Federer at the Masters Cup and Blake reached the
> final there, losing to Federer in straight sets.
>
> Among the best young players on the ATP tour are Marcos Baghdatis,
> Tomas Berdych, Richard Gasquet and Novak Djokovic -- all top 20.
>
> There are a also handful of rising stars expected to make a bigger
> impact among the women -- Nicole Vaidisova of the Czech Republic, Anna
> Chakvetadze of Russia and Ana Ivanovic of Serbia. But there are no
> top-20 prospects among American women.
>
> In fact, U.S. women won only three minor titles in 2006. That could
> get a lot better if the Williams sisters can stay on court, though
> that doesn't seem to be quite as good a bet as Federer winning another
> 12 titles in 2007.
>
> Charles Bricker can be reached at [email protected]

31 Dec 2006 13:35:15
Dave Hazelwood
Re: Federer's dynasty will roll on

Actually Johansson worries me a bit (more than Roddick) because he
could come roaring back. Look how he blew Nadal away last time they
met.

Fed is better equipped to handle his big serve than Nadal but Joachim
could find his way into the top 5 in the next year. He is one to
watch.

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 08:21:49 -0500, "Hard\Cell" <[email protected] >
wrote:

> [...]
>> Roddick, who is going to do far more attacking inside the service line
>> this year, almost had Federer at the Masters Cup and Blake reached the
>> final there, losing to Federer in straight sets.
>>
>> Among the best young players on the ATP tour are Marcos Baghdatis,
>> Tomas Berdych, Richard Gasquet and Novak Djokovic -- all top 20.
>>
>> There are a also handful of rising stars expected to make a bigger
>> impact among the women -- Nicole Vaidisova of the Czech Republic, Anna
>> Chakvetadze of Russia and Ana Ivanovic of Serbia. But there are no
>> top-20 prospects among American women.
>>
>> In fact, U.S. women won only three minor titles in 2006. That could
>> get a lot better if the Williams sisters can stay on court, though
>> that doesn't seem to be quite as good a bet as Federer winning another
>> 12 titles in 2007.
>>
>> Charles Bricker can be reached at [email protected]

31 Dec 2006 10:59:12
Tennis4you.com
Re: Federer's dynasty will roll on

He is indeed one to watch. He has a great game and when he is on he is
tough as hell to beat. I thought he had played Federer before but the ATP
site says their head-to-head is 0-0. I was hoping to pull some stats from
that. Oh well...

--
Scott Baker
Website - http://www.tennis4you.com