07 Jan 2006 14:04:57
Dave Hazelwood
Federer trounces Haas

06/01/2006 19:07 - (SA)
Related Articles
# Federer advances to semis

Doha - Roger Federer continued his strong preparation for the Australian Open with a 6-3 6-3 demolition of Germany's Tommy Haas in the semi-finals of the Qatar Open on Friday.

The top-ranked Swiss will face the winner of the match between Gael Monfils of France and Filippo Volandri of Italy in an attempt to win his second successive Qatar Open title.

After tougher earlier matches against Fabrice Santoro and Marcos Baghdatis, Federer appeared in a hurry on Friday. He broke Haas in the seventh game for a 4-3 lead in the first set
and increased his lead by winning his next service game at love, hardly putting a foot wrong.

With Haas under pressure to keep his serve, Federer raised the tempo to gain his second break and won the ninth game, also at love, to seal the first set.

Federer's superiority shone in the first game of the second set. The Swiss ace played an audacious backhand chip shot from the baseline that carried just over the net, leaving Haas
stranded at the back court.

Federer broke through in the sixth game for a 4-2 lead and then held his serve, finishing off the match with an ace.

"It was difficult to get winners because of the slow nature of the court, but I am happy to be in the final here again," Federer said. "The crowd really got behind me, they really
get emotionally involved when I am playing."

07 Jan 2006 22:00:33
Whisper
Re: Federer trounces Haas

Dave Hazelwood wrote:

Big whoop - Haas is shite.

07 Jan 2006 03:33:40
Re: Federer trounces Haas

Whisper wrote:

> Dave Hazelwood wrote:
> >

> Big whoop - Haas is shite.

Hey, he was number 2 in the world when Sampras beat him on the way to
the USO 2002 ...

08 Jan 2006 20:18:48
Whisper
Re: Federer trounces Haas

[email protected] wrote:
> Whisper wrote:
>

>>Dave Hazelwood wrote:
>>
>>Big whoop - Haas is shite.
>

> Hey, he was number 2 in the world when Sampras beat him on the way to
> the USO 2002 ...

Nope - my brain can't accept that. I need some proof.

08 Jan 2006 17:27:31
Dave Hazelwood
Re: Federer trounces Haas

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:18:48 +1100, Whisper <[email protected] > wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Whisper wrote:
>>

>>>Dave Hazelwood wrote:
>>>
>>>Big whoop - Haas is shite.
>>

>> Hey, he was number 2 in the world when Sampras beat him on the way to
>> the USO 2002 ...
>>

>Nope - my brain can't accept that. I need some proof.
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playersearch=Haas%2C+Tommy

08 Jan 2006 17:46:33
Dave Hazelwood
Re: Federer trounces Haas

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:18:48 +1100, Whisper <[email protected] > wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Whisper wrote:
>>

>>>Dave Hazelwood wrote:
>>>
>>>Big whoop - Haas is shite.
>>

>> Hey, he was number 2 in the world when Sampras beat him on the way to
>> the USO 2002 ...
>>

>Nope - my brain can't accept that. I need some proof.

What brain ?

08 Jan 2006 17:34:17
Vari L. Cinicke
Re: Federer trounces Haas

Whisper wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Whisper wrote:
>>

>>> Dave Hazelwood wrote:
>>>
>>> Big whoop - Haas is shite.
>>

>> Hey, he was number 2 in the world when Sampras beat him on the way to
>> the USO 2002 ...
>>

> Nope - my brain can't accept that. I need some proof.

I suggest a brain transplant. The one you (allegedly?) have does not
appear to handle reality very well. ;-)

Cheers,

vc