20 Aug 2003 18:50:12
VC
heat moldable skates

Is there a good "do-it-yourself" way or do I have to go to the local sport
shop to do the heat molding on my new CCM1152 hockey skates?

22 Aug 2003 03:19:20
Sarah
Re: heat moldable skates

I never thought it was possible to do it at home, but if you look at
http://www.tidewaterice.com/gam_sizes.htm
they mention that heat molding can be done in any convection oven, NOT your
average oven with flames or a microwave, etc. Still, to be on the safe side
I'd go to the sport shop.

"VC" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Is there a good "do-it-yourself" way or do I have to go to the local sport
> shop to do the heat molding on my new CCM1152 hockey skates?

22 Aug 2003 08:13:58
Annabel Smyth
Re: heat moldable skates

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 at 18:12:56, johns <[email protected] > wrote:

>You really don't have to do it at all. Heat Moldable
>skates will stretch to your foot just like any other
>skate, just by skating in them. I've also heard that
>the heat molding doesn't last, and the final break in
>is done by skating anyway.

For once, I agree with Johns. Actually, you can perfectly well hot them
up in a conventional oven if you want to (we did, with Robert's), but
they do go on moulding to your foot even after that.
--
Annabel Smyth mailto:[email protected]
Website updated 6 July 2003

25 Aug 2003 14:42:12
W Letendre
Re: heat moldable skates

Annabel Smyth <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 at 18:12:56, johns <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >You really don't have to do it at all. Heat Moldable
> >skates will stretch to your foot just like any other
> >skate, just by skating in them. I've also heard that
> >the heat molding doesn't last, and the final break in
> >is done by skating anyway.
> >
> For once, I agree with Johns. Actually, you can perfectly well hot them
> up in a conventional oven if you want to (we did, with Robert's), but
> they do go on moulding to your foot even after that.

Yeah, my heat molded Graf hockey skates were OK when first fitted,
better that hockey skates I've had to break in before, but, they have
become a good deal more comfortable with wear.

Hoping to get new pair of figure boots next B'Day, and will probably
go with heat molded models. Ask me then, if (or how much!) my feet
hurt...

W Letendre

26 Aug 2003 16:57:43
David D.
Re: heat moldable skates

I am a big fan of heat molding (from my own experiences and my wife's
experiences).

It avoids an otherwise painful break-in period. Some people's feet are
such that they can be reasonably comfortable in a well fitted new boot.
We, on the other hand, have had escrutiating new boot experiences.
*Except* for heat-molded boots. They skated like a dream from the first
stroke. This includes GAMs, Jacksons, and even Reidells (which are not
supposed to be heat-moldable, but what a difference!).

We have never risked our skates to a home heat-molding. We always let a
pro do it (even if we didn't buy the skates there).

- David