17 Aug 2003 23:13:40
Robert Langdown
Pro-filer Skate Sharpener

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query regarding skate sharpeners.
It seems that the Pro-filer wins hands down.
Before I order one from the U.S. does anyone know of a distributor in UK.

18 Aug 2003 10:55:04
Annabel Smyth
Re: Pro-filer Skate Sharpener

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 at 23:13:40, Robert Langdown
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Thanks to all of you who responded to my query regarding skate sharpeners.
>It seems that the Pro-filer wins hands down.
>Before I order one from the U.S. does anyone know of a distributor in UK.

I'm almost sure there's one in somewhere unlikely, like Southampton; I
think you can go to the Pro-filer web page and there's a link (I did,
once).
--
Annabel Smyth mailto:[email protected]
Website updated 6 July 2003

18 Aug 2003 13:01:02
George P
Re: Pro-filer Skate Sharpener

This gadget does look promising. Something which I've worked out from my
experience is that if you want something done properly, you either have to
do it yourself or find some real expert & enthusiast to do it for you.

Two things I don't understand:

1. How does the ProFiler guarantee that you will keep the original rocker
shape of the blade? Is that not determined by how uniform you can keep your
hand pressure as you slide the thing along the blade? What's there to keep
you from shaving the rocker off if you are clumsy or just inexperienced?

2. How does the stone stay keep its intended radius? I understand the part
about turning it around every now and then, but surely that's not accurate,
is it? When I was in Ottawa a chap called Dale baker did an outstanding job
on my blades, and he used to true his wheel to the right radius before doing
each blade.

GP

Robert Langdown <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks to all of you who responded to my query regarding skate
sharpeners.
> It seems that the Pro-filer wins hands down.
> Before I order one from the U.S. does anyone know of a distributor in UK.

21 Aug 2003 13:00:06
George P
Re: Pro-filer Skate Sharpener

> I think that the blade's rocker is probably safer than the hollow,
> given the relatively large amount of metal that would have to be
> removed to change the rocker radius...
>
> W Letendre

You're probably right. Still, someone with a habit of going easy on the heel
and pressing near the toe could gradually wear the rocker down over time.
What I'd like to see in an ideal world: a floppy disk that comes with your
blades from the factory with the ideal rocker contour for your blade model
and size, which is then put into a pro's machine and reproduces it every
time. Maybe by the time I give up skating due to old age... I am sure it's
possible right now, but the cost would be stupid.

> PS - Don't think I'll be able to make it to Oxford tomorrow night. Was
> lucky making it to Streatham, in that Engineer here at customer shop
> had a dental appointment that night. Tomorrow, I'm supposed to be
> finishing up all final mods to the machine, so I can catch my flight
> on Friday!

Shame! I hope you enjoyed the trip + Streatham anyway - have a safe trip
back home.

GP