28 Jul 2003 04:07:18
sk8ngcat
Knee Pads

I am learning a new jump and keep landing on the same knee, exact same spot.
Does anyone here skate with knee pads? What kind do you use? I purchased
one that was a jell pad that you wear in-between tights. They slid just a
bit and their "small" size is REALLY big. I'm looking for something thin,
comfortable and effective! Anyone try the bunga knee pads?
Cathy




28 Jul 2003 04:46:26
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Re: Knee Pads

Cathy,

Are you wearing this one?

http://www.skatingsafe.com

If not, I would recommend this one. It's thin and comfortable...
and as for effective...well, since it stays in place, it's
certainly more effective than my foam ones. :-P

(Lemme guess... double sal hell???)

Cheers,
Joanna

sk8ngcat wrote:
>
> I am learning a new jump and keep landing on the same knee, exact same spot.
> Does anyone here skate with knee pads? What kind do you use? I purchased
> one that was a jell pad that you wear in-between tights. They slid just a
> bit and their "small" size is REALLY big. I'm looking for something thin,
> comfortable and effective! Anyone try the bunga knee pads?
> Cathy


28 Jul 2003 06:22:25
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Re: Knee Pads

Well, if you don't like bulky, I'm not sure you're gonna like the
Bunga Pads either. Also, it's recommended that you get one of those
Crash Pads shorts along with the pads too!

http://www.bungapads.com/detail.asp?product_id=CP

I've seen then at a skating show and they look thinker than the
SkatingSafe one... and they'll recommend you wear the crash pants
along with the pads.

As for the sliding thing, I recommend putting it against your skin
under two pairs of tights...NOT in-between tights as the guys at
SkatingSafe.com suggested. They stay in place better!!! (In my
case, I wear the pad against my knee and then wear one of those
lycra tights and then my usual jazz pants over that.)

I don't wanna imagine what it's like doing double sals... I still
get nervous doing the loop and the flip as is... (and I've now
added lutz on the list of things to work on too! EEEEK!!!) =:-O

Cheers,
Joanna

sk8ngcat wrote:
>
> Hi Joanna:
> Thanks but those are the one's I tried and I'm not too crazy about them.
> But I think maybe I just have to get used to them. I sure liked skating
> without padding.
> Yup "Double Sal Hell" alright. Although both coaches say that I am
> right there... fully rotated i just don't check out because I expect to
> fall. Grrrrrrrrrrr.... Of course I expect to fall. Plus I'm a big chicken.
> I don't attempt them on my own, only when forced to during my lesson. LOL.
> Cathy
> "Joanna Tsang Ramberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Cathy,
> >
> > Are you wearing this one?
> >
> > http://www.skatingsafe.com
> >
> > If not, I would recommend this one. It's thin and comfortable...
> > and as for effective...well, since it stays in place, it's
> > certainly more effective than my foam ones. :-P
> >
> > (Lemme guess... double sal hell???)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Joanna
> >
> > sk8ngcat wrote:
> > >
> > > I am learning a new jump and keep landing on the same knee, exact same
> spot.
> > > Does anyone here skate with knee pads? What kind do you use? I
> purchased
> > > one that was a jell pad that you wear in-between tights. They slid just
> a
> > > bit and their "small" size is REALLY big. I'm looking for something
> thin,
> > > comfortable and effective! Anyone try the bunga knee pads?
> > > Cathy
> >


28 Jul 2003 13:01:51
S.P.
Re: Knee Pads

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:22:25 GMT, Joanna Tsang Ramberg
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Well, if you don't like bulky, I'm not sure you're gonna like the
>Bunga Pads either.
<snip >
>I've seen then at a skating show and they look thinker than the
>SkatingSafe one...

From context, I'm guessing that was "thicker", not "thinner"?

Hee hee, in the context of the other discussion about "just do it" vs.
"analyze it", perhaps looking "thinker" is the new look :-).

__Sharon


28 Jul 2003 17:46:01
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Re: Knee Pads



"S.P." wrote:
>
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:22:25 GMT, Joanna Tsang Ramberg
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Well, if you don't like bulky, I'm not sure you're gonna like the
> >Bunga Pads either.
> <snip>
> >I've seen then at a skating show and they look thinker than the
> >SkatingSafe one...
>
> From context, I'm guessing that was "thicker", not "thinner"?
>
> Hee hee, in the context of the other discussion about "just do it" vs.
> "analyze it", perhaps looking "thinker" is the new look :-).
Ehh.... what she said!!! Tee hee hee! (Thanks, Sharon!) :D

Cheers,
Joanna


28 Jul 2003 17:57:20
William Schneider
Re: Knee Pads

<<Does anyone here skate with knee pads? >>

Yes indeed. See my solution, which is nearly invisible under clothing.

http://www-schneider.viscom.ohiou.edu/knee_pads.htm

(Once again, I hope my server is running when you click this. I've been
having reliability problems.)




28 Jul 2003 19:08:57
William Schneider
Re: Knee Pads

This is my second attempt at this post. Sorry if it ends up double posted
---------

<<Does anyone here skate with knee pads? >>

Yes indeed. See my solution, which is nearly invisible under clothing.

http://www-schneider.viscom.ohiou.edu/knee_pads.htm

(I hope my server is running when you click this. I've been
having reliability problems and have to reboot often.)




28 Jul 2003 22:09:56
George P
Re: Knee Pads

Nice stuff Bill! Another idea as an inner liner: bubble-wrap?

GP


William Schneider <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> This is my second attempt at this post. Sorry if it ends up double posted
> ---------
>
> <<Does anyone here skate with knee pads? >>
>
> Yes indeed. See my solution, which is nearly invisible under clothing.
>
> http://www-schneider.viscom.ohiou.edu/knee_pads.htm
>
> (I hope my server is running when you click this. I've been
> having reliability problems and have to reboot often.)
>
>




28 Jul 2003 17:24:55
S.P.
Re: Knee Pads

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:57:20 GMT, "William Schneider"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>(Once again, I hope my server is running when you click this. I've been
>having reliability problems.)

It's been reliable for me all day. Thanks for that reminder about
reasons for "page not found" -- I'd gotten so used to the website here
at work, where "page not found" almost always means that someone
forgot to set the permisssions correctly... (provided the link is
correct).

Fun stuff you've been posting, thanks!

__Sharon


28 Jul 2003 21:32:12
William Schneider
Re: Knee Pads

<<Another idea as an inner liner: bubble-wrap? >>

Hmm. Small bubbles might work. Their life might be short though - especially
on me!

Think of the snapping noise that popping bubbles would add to the din when
falling! They'd probably call an ambulance first time I bumped my knee
thinking it was the sound of my bones going. :-)

Perhaps I could pop the bubbles to the music for extra artistic merit! I
wonder what tune would work with that?

Bill Schneider




29 Jul 2003 06:35:46
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Re: Knee Pads

William Schneider wrote:
>
> <<Does anyone here skate with knee pads? >>
>
> Yes indeed. See my solution, which is nearly invisible under clothing.
>
> http://www-schneider.viscom.ohiou.edu/knee_pads.htm
>
> (Once again, I hope my server is running when you click this. I've been
> having reliability problems.)
I've tried that (using the knee sleeve along with the SkatingSafe pad.)
I put the pad against my knees and then put the sleeve over it.

Well...ummm... the great part is that it SUUURE will stay in place,
but you have to be careful not to buy too small of a knee sleeve...or
it WILL restrict your knee movement enough to cause a fall (from NOT
bending your knees enough!) :-P I also have to buy several pairs of
those pads, since I only do laundry like once a week! But that's not
a big hassle...

It's not a bad idea actually, but it does have its flaws...

Cheers,
Joanna


29 Jul 2003 12:10:41
Johanna Ehrmann
Re: Knee Pads

Can't believe you suggested this--I just tried it the other day after
multiples falls to my knees (still adjusting to new blades). I didn't
fall, so can't report on how they took it, but they did stay in place
(under tight-fitting pants). When I stomped on them (bubble wrap on the
floor, not on me) to test them, they only popped if I hit a small area.

Johanna

In article <[email protected] >, George
P <[email protected] > wrote:

> Nice stuff Bill! Another idea as an inner liner: bubble-wrap?


29 Jul 2003 17:14:50
George P
Re: Knee Pads

I got the idea from my coach. He is breaking in new boots after having had
his old ones for years, and he put bubble wrap at the points of pain inside
the boot. Let me know how it works!

GP


Johanna Ehrmann <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:290720031210410696%[email protected]
> Can't believe you suggested this--I just tried it the other day after
> multiples falls to my knees (still adjusting to new blades). I didn't
> fall, so can't report on how they took it, but they did stay in place
> (under tight-fitting pants). When I stomped on them (bubble wrap on the
> floor, not on me) to test them, they only popped if I hit a small area.
>
> Johanna
>
> In article <[email protected]>, George
> P <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Nice stuff Bill! Another idea as an inner liner: bubble-wrap?




29 Jul 2003 17:12:30
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Re: Knee Pads

William Schneider wrote:
> Perhaps I could pop the bubbles to the music for extra artistic merit! I
> wonder what tune would work with that?
POP goes the weasel??? :-P Or anything with gunshots in the end
would do...

Cheers,
Joanna


29 Jul 2003 12:24:22
Big Brian
Re: Knee Pads

> Yup "Double Sal Hell" alright. Although both coaches say that I am
> right there... fully rotated i just don't check out because I expect to
> fall. Grrrrrrrrrrr.... Of course I expect to fall. Plus I'm a big chicken.
> I don't attempt them on my own, only when forced to during my lesson. LOL.

Well, from my experience, this is a cop out on the coaches part. If
you're falling it's because you're (most likely) not jumping the take
off right. If you jump it right, the landing should be easy, so easy
that it'd be hard to fall even if you tried. I'd like to see your 2
salchow, I bet I could get you to land it.


-Brian


29 Jul 2003 14:50:46
B.Russell Paradox
Re: Knee Pads

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, sk8ngcat wrote:

s >Ok Brian:
s >I'll take you up on that. How about if i get it on avi format and post/send
s >it to you? :)
s >C

s >> I'd like to see your 2
s >> salchow, I bet I could get you to land it.
s >> -Brian
s >>

Oh, please, post it to the newsgroup! I'm sure we can all learn from it
(and we can have a go at trying to beat Brian at the on-line coach game
:-) :-)

Ana
--

Maintainer of the recreational skating FAQ: http://home.pacbell.net/anamga


30 Jul 2003 00:28:47
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Re: Knee Pads

"B.Russell Paradox" wrote:
>
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, sk8ngcat wrote:
>
> s >Ok Brian:
> s >I'll take you up on that. How about if i get it on avi format and post/send
> s >it to you? :)
> s >C
>
> s >> I'd like to see your 2
> s >> salchow, I bet I could get you to land it.
> s >> -Brian
> s >>
>
> Oh, please, post it to the newsgroup! I'm sure we can all learn from it
> (and we can have a go at trying to beat Brian at the on-line coach game
> :-) :-)
I'll second that emotion! And if you put sound on it too, I'd love to
see what interesting description Mistress Coach says about it
afterwards!!! LOL!!! :-P (I definitely missed being at coffee club
in Dublin.) :(

Be careful of the online coaching game, Ana! I see johns ALL OVER
the thread after Cathy posts her clip! :-P

And I'll end in Mistress Coach's infamous words regarding my loop:
"I'd rather see you fall than to chicken out and two footed that
landing!!!" LOL!!! (Tell her I said hi! I was definitely thinking
of her today when I was doing my loops this afternoon.)

Cheers,
Joanna


30 Jul 2003 06:34:37
Big Brian
Re: Knee Pads

I'd love to see it.

Believe me, I know what it's like to fall on 2salchows, but once you
get the take off timing right, they're simple.

I'm not trying to get into an on-line coaching competition though.
But, I have helped others in the past to land jumps they were having
problems with.

-Brian

> Ok Brian:
> I'll take you up on that. How about if i get it on avi format and post/send
> it to you? :)
> C
>
> "Big Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > > Yup "Double Sal Hell" alright. Although both coaches say that I am
> > > right there... fully rotated i just don't check out because I expect to
> > > fall. Grrrrrrrrrrr.... Of course I expect to fall. Plus I'm a big
> chicken.
> > > I don't attempt them on my own, only when forced to during my lesson.
> LOL.
> >
> > Well, from my experience, this is a cop out on the coaches part. If
> > you're falling it's because you're (most likely) not jumping the take
> > off right. If you jump it right, the landing should be easy, so easy
> > that it'd be hard to fall even if you tried. I'd like to see your 2
> > salchow, I bet I could get you to land it.
> >
> >
> > -Brian
> >


30 Jul 2003 14:19:32
Johanna Ehrmann
Re: Knee Pads

No falls again today. The bubble wrap seems to be working more in a
preventive mode than as an actual protective shield (which is just fine
with me [and makes me wonder whether anyone has ever studied this sort
of phenomenon]). Will report if I actually land on them. But the
further I get from the last fall, the less inclined I am to use
them--they do make my knees sweat.

Johanna

In article <[email protected] >, George
P <[email protected] > wrote:

Let me know how it works!


30 Jul 2003 15:48:07
B.Russell Paradox
Re: Knee Pads

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Big Brian wrote:

BB >Believe me, I know what it's like to fall on 2salchows, but once you
BB >get the take off timing right, they're simple.

Yep. I often get surprised at how simple things become after I finally
get them (as in "wasn't that what everyone was telling me to do all the
time?"). Sometimes I think the unit to measure skating progress should
be the DUH!

BB >I'm not trying to get into an on-line coaching competition though.

OK, if there are no other entries you can do an exhibition instead :-)

Ana

--

Maintainer of the recreational skating FAQ: http://home.pacbell.net/anamga


06 Aug 2003 04:55:54
Bev Rienks
Re: Knee Pads

I have tried a couple of different knee pads and like the standard
volley ball pads that Sports Authority has. They are low cost,
effective, don't restrict movement, and don't show though my warm up
pants. That is one advantage we male skaters have. I don't use them
under my skating pants that I use for tests or competitions and I do
feel vulnerable without them.

Another thing that I have found is that I have never fallen on a knee
when I have knee pads on. So maybe it doesn't matter what knee pad you use.
Jack


William Schneider wrote:

> This is my second attempt at this post. Sorry if it ends up double posted
> ---------
>
> <<Does anyone here skate with knee pads? >>
>
> Yes indeed. See my solution, which is nearly invisible under clothing.
>
> http://www-schneider.viscom.ohiou.edu/knee_pads.htm
>
> (I hope my server is running when you click this. I've been
> having reliability problems and have to reboot often.)
>
>



06 Aug 2003 05:05:26
sk8ngcat
Re: Knee Pads

that is too funny... I always fell on my right knee until i put a pad on
that knee. First day out... BAM! I hit my left knee!
Cathy
"Bev Rienks" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:uT%[email protected]
> I have tried a couple of different knee pads and like the standard
> volley ball pads that Sports Authority has. They are low cost,
> effective, don't restrict movement, and don't show though my warm up
> pants. That is one advantage we male skaters have. I don't use them
> under my skating pants that I use for tests or competitions and I do
> feel vulnerable without them.
>
> Another thing that I have found is that I have never fallen on a knee
> when I have knee pads on. So maybe it doesn't matter what knee pad you
use.
> Jack
>
>
> William Schneider wrote:
>
> > This is my second attempt at this post. Sorry if it ends up double
posted
> > ---------
> >
> > <<Does anyone here skate with knee pads? >>
> >
> > Yes indeed. See my solution, which is nearly invisible under clothing.
> >
> > http://www-schneider.viscom.ohiou.edu/knee_pads.htm
> >
> > (I hope my server is running when you click this. I've been
> > having reliability problems and have to reboot often.)
> >
> >
>
>