25 Feb 2006 10:03:15
LK
Encouraging kids to skate backwards

Are there games or something to help kids with backward skating?

Yesterday both Level 3 coach and the adults' Russian coach was trying
to help us get a basic backward move.

The kids' coach said it was a move nobody really uses but it's
something they need to learn as stepping stone to backward glide and
BXOs.

As I watched I realized it was the same thing I've been struggling
with.myself, but when I tried to give my frustrated-almost-to-tears
little girl some pointers, she said, "You are not teaching me this!"
-- which means "Back-off please."

I'm not good at inventing games.

LK

25 Feb 2006 12:01:12
Lyle Walsh
Re: Encouraging kids to skate backwards

I've never tried this but how about "sit on the box"? Get a plastic milk
crate and have them back up and sit on it. Could also put a doggie squeaky
toy on it with the goal of making a loud noise.

Alternatively, tape the squeaky toy to the wall and see if they can back
into it fast enough to make a noise.
Helmets and maybe a bottom pillow pad may improve things if the kids weren't
too turned off by the image.

Ooohh here's another- when I was a kid there was a big blow up clown thing
with sand in its base that you could punch (yeh I know but sometimes letting
out that aggression is necessary) and you could try to push this balloon
clown by skating backwards into a circle drawn on the ice.
Sounds like fun to me LOL
Lyle

25 Feb 2006 12:30:43
Gonna Skate

LK wrote:
> Are there games or something to help kids with backward skating?

Yes, hockey.

Seriously, this worked for me in inlines for street hockey several
years ago (pre surgery, pre weight-gain, pre common sense). Just give
me a hockey stick and a ball to chase and I was doing all kinds of
things I never dreamed possible. Haven't tried this myself as an adult
figure skater.

One thing I see the kids doing at the rink to push each other into
trying new things is to play follow the leader. Somehow just following
along after somebody while they do stuff over my level makes me think
it is possible, so I understand how this works for them. Perhaps you
can hook your daughter up with another kid who is somewhat more
advanced and will try this strategy without giving your daughter a
lesson or criticizing her form.

I'm sure all she needs is stress- free practice. What, exactly, is the
skill she's trying to acquire?

25 Feb 2006 15:56:10
DB
Re: Encouraging kids to skate backwards

>The kids' coach said it was a move nobody really uses but it's
>something they need to learn as stepping stone to backward glide and
>BXOs.

Can you remember what it is called? That would help. The teaching
progression for backward skating is 1) bend knees and push off wall
backwards 2) rise up slightly and using a twisting motion of the hips
against the shoulders to do back wiggles. 3) Rocking horse, which is
one forward swizzle, freeze in place, and do one backward swizzle 4)
consecutive back swizzles 5) back half swizzle pumps on a circle
(this is the only one that is specifically a preparation for BXO's.

For pushing off the wall and back wiggles, I draw a line parallel to
the wall, and ask the kids to see if they can glide that far. Then I
ask if they can glide past the line. You can do the same thing, of
course, with B swizzles. For the rocking horses, I like to get the
group into a circle, holding hands first, then backing up and letting
go. Then we try to do the move together to make a pattern by all going
in then out at the same time. B half swizzle pumps on a circle are
just plain hard for most kids and adults. For kids I hold both hands
out in place while skating on the inside of the circle, and hold one
hand (usually the leading one) for adults. If you hold the trailing
hand, the student tends to bend at the waist and lean on you.
Sometimes it gives them just the needed little bit of security to keep
trying. I also draw a pattern on the ice that looks like half of a
heart. The toe of the foot that is on the inside of the circle goes on
the straight line facing the top of the heart. The other foot then
pigeon toes and pushes along the curved part of the heart from top to
bottom. The push away and to the front is what I find most students
are confused by and find the hardest to get. Most of them understand
the drawing, even if they can't do it right away.

26 Feb 2006 02:22:20
Roger
Re: Encouraging kids to skate backwards

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:03:15 -0500, LK <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Are there games or something to help kids with backward skating?
>
>Yesterday both Level 3 coach and the adults' Russian coach was trying
>to help us get a basic backward move.

Although the coaches started out with trying "wiggles", our beginning
kids in the "skate with us" program took to swizzles rather quickly
and a lot more success than with wiggles. <:-)) It's funny to watch
the adults try this.

We had no problems and did not have to resort to "games" to get the
kids skate backwards.

We had the kids learn the forward swizzle first, then had them move
back and fourth over the same trace and then skate across the rink
using back swizzles.

I think of the forward swizzle as stroking with both feet at the same
time. Where most skaters think of it as a problem is when the skates
are coming back together. At this point the skater should be
*gliding* rather than trying to force the skates together.

And example, standing with the feet fairly close together, turn the
feet so the toes point out a bit and then push out with both feet
equally. As in pushing to the side in stroking this also pushes you
forward. When you get your feet about as far apart as you want them
you turn your toes in and glide until your feet are back together. Now
you turn your feet slightly so the heels point out slightly and again
push out. You will go backwards. Again when your feet are about as far
apart as is comfortable, you turn the heels in (or toes out if you
wish to call it that) and again glide until the feet come together.
Once a skater learns this they can easily skate across or even around
the arena using nothing but swizzles.

>The kids' coach said it was a move nobody really uses but it's
>something they need to learn as stepping stone to backward glide and

Although thought of as a very basic move I saw it incorporated into
several Olympic skates this past week.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>BXOs.
>
>As I watched I realized it was the same thing I've been struggling
>with.myself, but when I tried to give my frustrated-almost-to-tears
>little girl some pointers, she said, "You are not teaching me this!"
>-- which means "Back-off please."
>
>I'm not good at inventing games.
>
>LK

26 Feb 2006 09:37:07
Catherine Rees Lay
Re: Encouraging kids to skate backwards

In article <[email protected] >, LK
<[email protected] > writes
>Are there games or something to help kids with backward skating?
>
>Yesterday both Level 3 coach and the adults' Russian coach was trying
>to help us get a basic backward move.
>
>The kids' coach said it was a move nobody really uses but it's
>something they need to learn as stepping stone to backward glide and
>BXOs.
>
>As I watched I realized it was the same thing I've been struggling
>with.myself, but when I tried to give my frustrated-almost-to-tears
>little girl some pointers, she said, "You are not teaching me this!"
>-- which means "Back-off please."
>
>I'm not good at inventing games.
>
>LK

My kids' favourite was always "push off the wall and see who can go the
furthest". It's fun on two feet, and then has another lease of life when
they start on one foot backward glides.

It's really not that easy - I do it to, and I think half the time the
most fun my son has is watching me veer off in a circle flapping
frantically :-)

Catherine.
--
Catherine Rees Lay
To email me, use my first name in front of the "at".

26 Feb 2006 12:40:42
Mrs Redboots
Re: Encouraging kids to skate backwards

Catherine Rees Lay wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Sun,
26 Feb 2006:

>It's really not that easy - I do it to, and I think half the time the most
>fun my son has is watching me veer off in a circle flapping frantically :-)

While passing coaches cry "You aren't going swimming!" Been there, done
that.....
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
http://mrs_redboots.livejournal.com

27 Feb 2006 09:02:31
SlingSkate

LK wrote:
> Are there games or something to help kids with backward skating?

Wiggle the Butt.

27 Feb 2006 09:03:26
SlingSkate

LK wrote:
> Are there games or something to help kids with backward skating?

Wiggle the Butt.

28 Feb 2006 07:14:36
LK

On 27 Feb 2006 09:02:31 -0800, "SlingSkate" <[email protected] > wrote:

>LK wrote:
>> Are there games or something to help kids with backward skating?
>
>Wiggle the Butt.

All this ideas sound good. Thanks!

LK