25 Nov 2003 01:55:20
William Schneider
Edging around

I brought my digital camera to the rink today and made small QuickTime
videos of some edge work. I'm getting ready to test Adult Pre-Bronze on
December 21st, and some of the videos show exercises I perform to improve
checking the consecutive three-turns in the test.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/bracket-3-bracket.mov
This video shows straight-line bracket-3-bracket turns on a line. I'm a
little "floppy" doing these, especially the first one of the series.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/lobe-bracket-3s.mov
This video show the same thing but done on the lobe that I usually do for
the consecutive threes in the Adult Pre-Bronze test. These are sloppy (my
free foot isn't neatly tucked, etc), but being able to do them at all makes
the consecutive threes on the test much easier. You HAVE to check and you
MUST have your weight over the skating foot to be able to do them at all.
When the checking and the weight are correct, the consecutive threes just
fall into place.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/edging-around.mov
This video is just clowing around with edges. It's a glide on an RFO edge,
change edge to RFI, RFO rocker, RBO counter to RFO edge, RFO 3, change foot
and push, and a mohawk to glide out of the frame. Wish I could do this stuff
on my left foot too!

Each video is about 2MB.

Bill Schneider




25 Nov 2003 12:50:01
Jeanne
Re: Edging around

From: "William Schneider" [email protected]
<< I brought my digital camera to the rink today and made small QuickTime >>

What kind of camera do you have that outputs to .MOV?

<< I'm getting ready to test Adult Pre-Bronze on
December 21st, >>

Good luck! Judging from your videos I'm sure you won't have any problem at all.

<< http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/edging-around.mov >>

That one is really neat. At first glance I thought the counter was a BI3.
That's some really nice skating there!

Jeanne


25 Nov 2003 13:19:23
William Schneider
Re: Edging around

<<What kind of camera do you have that outputs to .MOV? >>

It's a Leica Digilux - which is based upon Panasonic hardware but with
Leica's quirky touches. I'd like to get an honest-to-goodness video camera
someday to increase the frame rate, but other things come first.


<<Good luck! Judging from your videos I'm sure you won't have any problem at
all. >>

I hope so! The little matter of calming the test jitters will be important -
otherwise my legs may turn to fence posts!

Bill Schneider




25 Nov 2003 10:50:02
S.P.
Re: Edging around

"William Schneider" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I brought my digital camera to the rink today and made small QuickTime
> videos of some edge work. I'm getting ready to test Adult Pre-Bronze on
> December 21st, and some of the videos show exercises I perform to improve
> checking the consecutive three-turns in the test.

Oh. My. Gosh.

My jaw is on the floor. You look amazing!

Thanks for posting these.

__Sharon


25 Nov 2003 19:07:40
Annabel Smyth
Re: Edging around

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 at 10:50:02, S.P. <[email protected] > wrote:

>"William Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> I brought my digital camera to the rink today and made small QuickTime
>> videos of some edge work. I'm getting ready to test Adult Pre-Bronze on
>> December 21st, and some of the videos show exercises I perform to improve
>> checking the consecutive three-turns in the test.
>
>Oh. My. Gosh.
>
>My jaw is on the floor. You look amazing!
>
>
Having played around with 3-bracket-3 this evening, so is mine.... how
do you get all that *flow*????

--
Annabel Smyth mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/index.html
Website updated 23 November 2003


25 Nov 2003 13:59:54
B.Russell Paradox
Re: Edging around

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, William Schneider wrote:

WS >I brought my digital camera to the rink today and made small QuickTime
WS >videos of some edge work. I'm getting ready to test Adult Pre-Bronze on
WS >December 21st, and some of the videos show exercises I perform to improve
WS >checking the consecutive three-turns in the test.
WS >

It looks like you have excellent control of the BI edge. Unless the LBI is
catastrophically weaker I do not think you should have the least trouble
with the alternating threes in the test...

Ana
--

Maintainer of the recreational skating FAQ: http://home.pacbell.net/anamga


25 Nov 2003 23:16:14
William Schneider
Re: Edging around

<<how do you get all that *flow*???? >>

Sharp blades? Smooth ice?

Really though, I don't know. I suppose that a quick, clean turn loses the
least energy. I'd hesitate to claim that this is a perfect example of a
bracket-3-bracket though. Coach Nadia can do them so much more stylishly and
smoother than I can.

Bill Schneider




25 Nov 2003 23:16:14
William Schneider
Re: Edging around

<<My jaw is on the floor. You look amazing! >>

Gosh! Aw shucks! (face reddening)

Thanks for the compliment! I guess there's hope for old geezers like me who
are trying to learn new tricks.

Then again, because I can't spin or jump worth a hoot (and they're forbidden
in our public sessions), I have to concentrate on edges and turns. They'd
BETTER be coming along, or I'd give it all up for a nice book in a comfy
chair.

Bill Schneider




25 Nov 2003 19:13:26
johns
Re: Edging around

Bracket-3-bracket is great. I've been working on that
for a year now, but I don't have enough turnout like
you do. I tend to have to keep it on a circle, or at least
big curves.

johns




25 Nov 2003 19:33:10
johns
Re: Edging around


> Then again, because I can't spin or jump worth a hoot (and they're
forbidden
> in our public sessions),

That is when you go find another ice rink ... or find public sessions
that are lightly attended. Coachy does her 2axel in ours. 4 people
on the ice, might as well. We are careful. Plus we are pretty darn
good too.

johns




26 Nov 2003 13:40:32
William Schneider
Re: Edging around

<<or find public sessions
that are lightly attended. >>

I was scolded by the rink guard last Sunday when there were a total of 6
people on the ice when I tried one toe loop stuffed way back into a distant
corner. I have observed that while it is rink policy to forbid jumps and
spins during public sessions, the particular rink guard on duty can make all
the difference. At last night's public session, the rink guard apparently
didn't care much - toward the end there were three skaters on the ice, and
the other two young fellows brought out a puck (no sticks) and began "foot"
hockey. I figured it was safe to try a few jumps by then.

Our rink closes in late March. Afterward I make the drive to Columbus, Ohio
where reason prevails. Unfortunately I can't skate nearly as much because
it's 2 hours away, but at least I feel better about trying freestyle
elements.

Bill Schneider




26 Nov 2003 12:35:32
Lionello
Re: Edging around

Very nice skating.
Geezers rule!

In article <[email protected] >, "William
Schneider" <[email protected] > wrote:

<<or find public sessions
that are lightly attended. >>

I was scolded by the rink guard last Sunday when there were a total of 6
people on the ice when I tried one toe loop stuffed way back into a distant
corner. I have observed that while it is rink policy to forbid jumps and
spins during public sessions, the particular rink guard on duty can make all
the difference. At last night's public session, the rink guard apparently
didn't care much - toward the end there were three skaters on the ice, and
the other two young fellows brought out a puck (no sticks) and began "foot"
hockey. I figured it was safe to try a few jumps by then.

Our rink closes in late March. Afterward I make the drive to Columbus, Ohio
where reason prevails. Unfortunately I can't skate nearly as much because
it's 2 hours away, but at least I feel better about trying freestyle
elements.

Bill Schneider

--
Lionel
www.cameraart.ca
For God's sake, it was just a Freudian slip!


26 Nov 2003 12:55:22
W Letendre
Re: Edging around

"William Schneider" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <<or find public sessions
> that are lightly attended. >>
>
> I was scolded by the rink guard last Sunday when there were a total of 6
> people on the ice when I tried one toe loop stuffed way back into a distant
> corner. I have observed that while it is rink policy to forbid jumps and
> spins during public sessions, the particular rink guard on duty can make all
> the difference. At last night's public session, the rink guard apparently
> didn't care much - toward the end there were three skaters on the ice, and
> the other two young fellows brought out a puck (no sticks) and began "foot"
> hockey. I figured it was safe to try a few jumps by then.
>
> Our rink closes in late March. Afterward I make the drive to Columbus, Ohio
> where reason prevails. Unfortunately I can't skate nearly as much because
> it's 2 hours away, but at least I feel better about trying freestyle
> elements.
>
> Bill Schneider

Yeah, do get chaff from some skate guards. No predicting it. Stopped
skating at Skate Club of Boston's Tuesday night adult skate after
getting chewed out for skating backwards.... on figure skates, no
less!

W Letendre


26 Nov 2003 21:21:54
William Schneider
Re: Edging around

<<getting chewed out for skating backwards.... on figure skates, no
less! >>

Unbelievable! No wonder attendance suffers at some rinks while others
thrive. You have to ponder the common sense of rink management if rules like
that are in place.

Bill Schneider




27 Nov 2003 05:07:57
Renata
Re: Edging around

William Schneider wrote:
> <<getting chewed out for skating backwards.... on figure skates, no
> less!>>
>
> Unbelievable! No wonder attendance suffers at some rinks while others
> thrive. You have to ponder the common sense of rink management if
> rules like that are in place.
>
> Bill Schneider
>

My standard response to this (assuming the other people on the ice are
just stumbling around) is "I see what's going on around me when going
backwards better than most see when going forwards".

--Renata



27 Nov 2003 03:05:22
Anthony
Re: Edging around

"William Schneider" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <<or find public sessions
> that are lightly attended. >>
>
> I was scolded by the rink guard last Sunday when there were a total of 6
> people on the ice when I tried one toe loop stuffed way back into a distant
> corner. I have observed that while it is rink policy to forbid jumps and
> spins during public sessions, the particular rink guard on duty can make all
> the difference. At last night's public session, the rink guard apparently
> didn't care much - toward the end there were three skaters on the ice, and
> the other two young fellows brought out a puck (no sticks) and began "foot"
> hockey. I figured it was safe to try a few jumps by then.
>
> Our rink closes in late March. Afterward I make the drive to Columbus, Ohio
> where reason prevails. Unfortunately I can't skate nearly as much because
> it's 2 hours away, but at least I feel better about trying freestyle
> elements.
>
> Bill Schneider

At the rink i usually skate i generally (unless i'm brave enough to be
up in time for a 7am lesson on a sunday morning which is patch ice!)
skate in public sessions. The skate guards have no problem with you
jumping or spinning. To be honest i find public ice to be better for
practicing spins and jumps than patch ice because our patch ice is
usually rammed with skaters all skating really quickly and by the time
you spot a space to jump in someone else is already in that area doing
something!

Anyway I decided to go to a rink that was closer to home a few
tuesdays back and for the first hour was fine doing jumps and spins
and then the stewards changed and i was scolded for doing jumps and
spins. I figured it was because the lad was in his teens and was
worried that he'd be in big trouble if i accidentally injured someone
on his watch. Moral of the story though i guess is to check with the
rink what they allow on public ice before you go. I should have been
alerted to the fact i was the only skater in figure skates!

Ant


27 Nov 2003 13:22:18
Annabel Smyth
Re: Edging around

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 at 21:21:54, William Schneider
<[email protected] > wrote:

><<getting chewed out for skating backwards.... on figure skates, no
>less!>>
>
>Unbelievable! No wonder attendance suffers at some rinks while others
>thrive. You have to ponder the common sense of rink management if rules like
>that are in place.
>
Oh, it happens. I heard of one rink where anything other than plain
vanilla forwards stroking is frowned upon in public sessions, and
(according to my informant) "They are really unfriendly on the patch ice
and you can't goof off for one moment!" I don't actually believe that,
but I can understand why my informant thought so!
--
Annabel Smyth mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/index.html
Website updated 23 November 2003


27 Nov 2003 13:23:19
Annabel Smyth
Re: Edging around

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 at 03:05:22, Anthony <[email protected] > wrote:

>Anyway I decided to go to a rink that was closer to home a few
>tuesdays back and for the first hour was fine doing jumps and spins
>and then the stewards changed and i was scolded for doing jumps and
>spins. I figured it was because the lad was in his teens and was
>worried that he'd be in big trouble if i accidentally injured someone
>on his watch. Moral of the story though i guess is to check with the
>rink what they allow on public ice before you go. I should have been
>alerted to the fact i was the only skater in figure skates!
>
Yeah, and I bet those skate guards were practising their hockey
drills.....
--
Annabel Smyth mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/index.html
Website updated 23 November 2003


27 Nov 2003 18:48:50
John F
Re: Edging around


"Annabel Smyth" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Yeah, and I bet those skate guards were practising their hockey
> drills.....


Yes, it seems more often the case that the skate guards are more concerned
that you will look better than them rather than there being any safety
concerns. My personal bugbear is being told you can only jump in the middle
(I appreciate this is better than no jumping at all). Leaving aside the fact
that it is difficult to set up jumps in the middle anyway, in what possible
circumstances is jumping "in a gap" in the middle any safer than jumping "in
a gap" anywhere else. It's not like I'm going to jump on anyone I care too
much about my own safety for that!

John




27 Nov 2003 22:17:01
Joanna Tsang Ramberg
Re: Edging around

John F wrote:
>
> "Annabel Smyth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> > Yeah, and I bet those skate guards were practising their hockey
> > drills.....
>
> Yes, it seems more often the case that the skate guards are more concerned
> that you will look better than them rather than there being any safety
> concerns. My personal bugbear is being told you can only jump in the middle
> (I appreciate this is better than no jumping at all). Leaving aside the fact
> that it is difficult to set up jumps in the middle anyway, in what possible
> circumstances is jumping "in a gap" in the middle any safer than jumping "in
> a gap" anywhere else. It's not like I'm going to jump on anyone I care too
> much about my own safety for that!
Never mind that these skate guards can't keep the little darlin's
out of the middle of the circle. They just shrug and said "What
can I do about it?" ("GRRRR!!! But THAT'S your job, you idiot!!!"
I was thinking...)

One skate guard (a female hockey skater actually) told me the same
rule. She was actually at least half way smart! I told her "Okay!
I'll jump and spin in the middle of the rink... if you keep the rugrats
out of the middle! DEAL!!! And we both kept our respective part of
the deal! :-D

Cheers,
Joanna

--

Reply to me at "jramberg" at <that email site at Microsoft >
Don't want no scrubs (or SPAM!!!) :-)


28 Nov 2003 04:36:59
Anthony
Re: Edging around

Annabel Smyth <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 at 03:05:22, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Anyway I decided to go to a rink that was closer to home a few
> >tuesdays back and for the first hour was fine doing jumps and spins
> >and then the stewards changed and i was scolded for doing jumps and
> >spins. I figured it was because the lad was in his teens and was
> >worried that he'd be in big trouble if i accidentally injured someone
> >on his watch. Moral of the story though i guess is to check with the
> >rink what they allow on public ice before you go. I should have been
> >alerted to the fact i was the only skater in figure skates!
> >
> Yeah, and I bet those skate guards were practising their hockey
> drills.....

Annoyingly enough they were and they were tearing round the rink at a
stupidly fast speed making the attractive girls they were trying to
impress shriek loudly every time they zipped past them.

Vaguely annoying but also i didn't really like the ice at Blackburn
and the rink seemed smaller than deeside even though i think i've read
its the same size...no worries i'll just stick to deeside.

Ant


28 Nov 2003 22:25:32
DBNY9
Re: Edging around

I hate to draw this comparison, but in high school, there was always a kid in
the class who worried aloud about the upcoming test, and always got 100 on it.
Your skills are far and away above what is required for the adult Pre-Bronze
moves test. Perfectionists (I am one too) hate to do anything sloppy when they
know better, but really, you are going to pass with superlative comments. If
this post makes me seem tinted a bit green, I am :(
DB


01 Dec 2003 16:23:50
Elizabeth Shack
Re: Edging around

On 27 Nov 2003 03:05:22 -0800, Anthony wrote:

> At the rink i usually skate i generally (unless i'm brave enough to be
> up in time for a 7am lesson on a sunday morning which is patch ice!)
> skate in public sessions. The skate guards have no problem with you
> jumping or spinning.

My rinks don't have a problem with jumping or spinning. But they also don't
have a problem with little kids wobbling through the middle or teens
zooming through.

> To be honest i find public ice to be better for
> practicing spins and jumps than patch ice because our patch ice is
> usually rammed with skaters all skating really quickly and by the time
> you spot a space to jump in someone else is already in that area doing
> something!

Yes, me too. One of my rinks has very empty weekday public sessions that
are great when I'm not working.

(The other (closer, bumpier-ice rink) has weekday sessions that always have
kids. They must all homeschool or something.)

--
Elizabeth Shack eashack at earthlink dot ent
http://home.earthlink.net/~eashack
boringblog at http://www.livejournal.com/users/eashack/