24 Feb 2005 06:04:37
Sreena
Diet and exercise advice?

Okay, so here's the problem. I would like to lose a few pounds but
don't want to lose energy. Does anyone have any advice? Any dietary
advice including copious amounts of chocolate would be much
appreciated! ;)
Also need to build jumping muscles but not sure what simple easy
exercises I can do. George P has been great at giving me advice, books
and suggesting gym sessions but with my manic life , I don't really
have the time. Any suggestions?

24 Feb 2005 06:56:32
ant
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Sreena wrote:
> Okay, so here's the problem. I would like to lose a few pounds but
> don't want to lose energy. Does anyone have any advice? Any dietary
> advice including copious amounts of chocolate would be much
> appreciated! ;)
> Also need to build jumping muscles but not sure what simple easy
> exercises I can do. George P has been great at giving me advice,
books
> and suggesting gym sessions but with my manic life , I don't really
> have the time. Any suggestions?

I recently have been through all this for myself, and similarly don't
have enough time to get everything done that i would like because i
have nearly 3 hours of commute every day. I have found that although it
can be quite expensive, paying people for advice has been the best
thing. First thing was talk to a personal trainer at my gym. While i'd
love to work with him every time i go to the gym, its too expesive so
we came to an arrangement - I gave him the Poe conditioning book to
read, he read it and now we have a one hour session (=A330) once a month
where spends a great deal of time discussing what my work and skating
schedule will be like in the up coming month and making me a program of
things to do to help my skating. If one particular month is very busy,
he'll give me exercises that i can do at home and suggest
running/cycling routes in my area that i can do so i don't have to be
in the gym.

The second thing is that he's also a nutritionist and we did metabolic
typing testing (which cost =A370) to determine what foods do what to me
and find good combinations of foods so that i can lose the excess
weight and boost my energy levels for when i need them.

Ant

24 Feb 2005 07:35:28
[email protected]
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

>I would like to lose a few pounds but don't want to lose energy.

Add muscle. Eat more high gylcemic level foods. Do web research on
the glycemic index.

Dark chocolate is now a health food.

>>Also need to build jumping muscles

Make sure you are well warmed up, etc. Work on one leg squats. Follow
this squating halfway down, jump, land and immediately jump up again.
Be careful this is called plometrics and can easily injure your
tendons. Research on plyometrics will help.

24 Feb 2005 18:25:33
Mrs Redboots
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Sreena wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Thu, 24 Feb 2005:

>Okay, so here's the problem. I would like to lose a few pounds but
>don't want to lose energy. Does anyone have any advice? Any dietary
>advice including copious amounts of chocolate would be much
>appreciated! ;)
>Also need to build jumping muscles but not sure what simple easy
>exercises I can do. George P has been great at giving me advice, books
>and suggesting gym sessions but with my manic life , I don't really
>have the time. Any suggestions?

Lots. I've just lost weight simply through being aware of what I eat -
I keep a food journal, writing down everything that goes into my mouth,
even the "pickers and lickers" while I'm getting supper.... Also
drinking plenty of water (at least 2 litres a day), and focussing on
what I can eat, not what I can't - mostly vegetables and fruits, and
stuff like that. Because this is a long-term thing, I haven't deprived
myself too much - I do eat a *little* chocolate, but not a great
deal.... It's really about making choices - is this or that food worth
the calories? Sometimes it is!

As for strength exercises, I have this wonderful tape that very kind
Doris sent me from the USA, called "The magic of style" by Ann-Margreth
Frei, and on volume 2 there's a rather good off-ice workout that I've
been doing 2-3 times a week for the past few months. And now I've added
some upper-body work with resistance bands, and some Pilates-type
exercises to strengthen my middle.

And now I'm stuck at home and can't do any exercise at all, as I have an
extremely sore back, for some reason! I hope it passes soon - I should
be at the rink right now, not talking about skating!
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

24 Feb 2005 20:51:43
Doris Penndorf
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Specifics please? Have you kept any type of food journal? You first need
to look at what you are eating to determine what substitutions you can
make - even if it is only 1 at a time. Example: In the course of a year I
went from whole milk (cereal, coffee) to 2%, 1%, skim with 1% and then found
via a magazine article to look for homogenized skim milk for better look and
taste. That dropped 8 pounds and I kept it off. My taste buds adjusted
slowly but worth it. Everyone is different in their likes/dislikes in foods
but you should be able to find some balance that you can adjust to -
everything in moderation. Remember too that as you lose pounds be aware of
fat versus muscle. Muscle weighs more so don't go by your scale, go by how
your clothes fit and record your measurements weekly with a tape measure.
(bust, waist, hips, thigh circumference.) There are a zillion magazines and
articles about healthy weight lose - if you are in USA, try Shape magazine.

As for exercise with a very busy schedule, again start with small changes.
Perhaps you could schedule yourself for 2 "PT" sessions a week for several
weeks. A 30 minute session at home just like as if you had an appointment
to go to a physical therapist for an injury treatment. Some people work
well at home, others like company, others need someone to be with them for
motivation. I had a personal trainer once a week for 6 months, but she made
me commit to doing 2 other sessions a week by myself. I really looked
forward to our play time, so I made sure I did the other 2 sessions - she
would know the difference! Even just getting a large pylo ball to sit on at
home in front of the computer will start working your torso muscles.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Years ago after major gallbladder surgery,
I drove down the hill I lived on, parked in the bank parking lot, and
briskly walked 10 minutes out, 10 minutes back, until I was power walking 45
min total, then drove myself back home. I came to look forward to being out
of the house (and distractions) and did it no matter the weather - a habit
was created and if I missed 2 days I felt miserable. That changed dropped
12 pounds in 6 weeks and wow did I see a change in my clothes and energy
level....and this was while I did not change anything else.

Motivation is the hardest part because change comes slowly. There is no
quick fix.

As for jumping muscles - it is not only your legs that need to be strong,
but more importantly your core strength, front and back. Pylo ball,
stretchy bands, heck, use cans of juice or soup in your hands for weights.

Like many things in life, if you really want it, you will make the time (get
up earlier, exercise in front of the tellie, park your car the farthest from
all stores you need to go to and walk!, stay off the phone and
computer.......)

Welcome to the human race for those of us always having to work with our
bodies.......

"Sreena" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Okay, so here's the problem. I would like to lose a few pounds but
> don't want to lose energy. Does anyone have any advice? Any dietary
> advice including copious amounts of chocolate would be much
> appreciated! ;)
> Also need to build jumping muscles but not sure what simple easy
> exercises I can do. George P has been great at giving me advice, books
> and suggesting gym sessions but with my manic life , I don't really
> have the time. Any suggestions?

24 Feb 2005 22:10:21
steve
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Hi Sreena,

I skate on Atkins. Atkins induction diet even now. Been that way diet wise
for 2 1/2 years. I haven't died yet despite all the carb industry
scaremongering. If you want *energy* it works, also weight loss. The loss
doesn't go on forever, weight has stabilised fine, I didn't waste away.
I'd dump those carbs, including the chocolate ;-).

Steve

24 Feb 2005 18:24:21
Kay
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

I do aeerobics at home. Classes no longer fit my schedule. I follow the
aerobics w/ floor work, light weight arm work, and stretching.

Kay
www.skatejournal.com

24 Feb 2005 18:42:13
johns
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Simple. Go skating. Sign up for lessons in the Moves
if you are not already done with them. Go on the ice
with a good aerobic training plan, and skate for 30
minutes every day. I'm using the MITF Booklet .. about
$10 .. to build a series of drills, and 30 minutes takes
me nearly through the entire booklet. Come off the ice
tired but feeling flexible and energized. I've noticed
that I've really firmed up in my shoulders and middle.
And, I'm thin and strong for my age.

johns

25 Feb 2005 09:23:17
Mrs Redboots
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

steve wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Thu, 24 Feb 2005:

>Hi Sreena,
>
>I skate on Atkins. Atkins induction diet even now. Been that way diet wise
>for 2 1/2 years. I haven't died yet despite all the carb industry
>scaremongering. If you want *energy* it works, also weight loss. The loss
>doesn't go on forever, weight has stabilised fine, I didn't waste away.
>I'd dump those carbs, including the chocolate ;-).

Not saying it isn't working for you - but are you sure you're getting
enough fruit & veg on the induction? I thought even Atkins said not to
stay on that more than a fortnight, for that reason, and I know that
after the first fortnight you can eat a healthy amount of veg & fruit,
but doesn't the induction period only allow one small salad a day?
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
Website updated 20 February 2005

25 Feb 2005 09:24:51
Mrs Redboots
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

johns wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Thu, 24 Feb 2005:

>Simple. Go skating. Sign up for lessons in the Moves
>if you are not already done with them. Go on the ice
>with a good aerobic training plan, and skate for 30
>minutes every day. I'm using the MITF Booklet .. about
>$10 .. to build a series of drills, and 30 minutes takes
>me nearly through the entire booklet. Come off the ice
>tired but feeling flexible and energized. I've noticed
>that I've really firmed up in my shoulders and middle.
>And, I'm thin and strong for my age.

I'm sure someone at your rink (Oxford, I mean, not Johns' place) has a
copy of Poe's "Conditioning for Figure Skaters" that they will lend
you.... there's some wonderful aerobic skating exercises.

Me, I'm stuck at the moment with a bad back. Feel better in myself
today (felt awful yesterday), but back is worse.... no skating today,
for sure....
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
Website updated 20 February 2005

25 Feb 2005 02:33:18
ant
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Mrs Redboots wrote:
> johns wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Thu, 24 Feb
2005:

> >Simple. Go skating. Sign up for lessons in the Moves
> >if you are not already done with them. Go on the ice
> >with a good aerobic training plan, and skate for 30
> >minutes every day. I'm using the MITF Booklet .. about
> >$10 .. to build a series of drills, and 30 minutes takes
> >me nearly through the entire booklet. Come off the ice
> >tired but feeling flexible and energized. I've noticed
> >that I've really firmed up in my shoulders and middle.
> >And, I'm thin and strong for my age.
>
> I'm sure someone at your rink (Oxford, I mean, not Johns' place) has
> copy of Poe's "Conditioning for Figure Skaters" that they will lend
> you.... there's some wonderful aerobic skating exercises.
>
> Me, I'm stuck at the moment with a bad back. Feel better in myself
> today (felt awful yesterday), but back is worse.... no skating today,
> for sure....
> --
> "Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
> http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
> Website updated 20 February 2005

Oh no - have you done anything to hurt your back? Hope it clears up
soon and you get back on the ice.

Ant

25 Feb 2005 10:39:56
Doris Penndorf
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

> Me, I'm stuck at the moment with a bad back. Feel better in myself
> today (felt awful yesterday), but back is worse.... no skating today,
> for sure....
> --
> "Mrs Redboots"

Oh do take care and don't rush things! Bad backs can become a chronic
problem. Haven't you had sciatica and back pain before? I hope it heals
quickly so you can return to your 2nd love (your hubbie the 1st I'm
sure......)

Doris

25 Feb 2005 11:09:44
Mrs Redboots
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Doris Penndorf wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Fri, 25
Feb 2005:

>> Me, I'm stuck at the moment with a bad back. Feel better in myself
>> today (felt awful yesterday), but back is worse.... no skating today,
>> for sure....
>> --
>> "Mrs Redboots"
>
>Oh do take care and don't rush things! Bad backs can become a chronic
>problem. Haven't you had sciatica and back pain before? I hope it heals
>quickly so you can return to your 2nd love (your hubbie the 1st I'm
>sure......)

Thanks, Ant & Doris. Don't know what it is - not sciatica, thankfully,
more like lumbago. And now my shoulder has gone, too, which it hasn't
done for a very long time. Just "one of those things", I think. I'm
about to go out on an errand, so I hope that will help loosen things up
a bit.
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
Website updated 20 February 2005

25 Feb 2005 03:42:17
ant
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Mrs Redboots wrote:
> Doris Penndorf wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Fri, 25
> Feb 2005:
>

> >> Me, I'm stuck at the moment with a bad back. Feel better in
myself
> >> today (felt awful yesterday), but back is worse.... no skating
today,
> >> for sure....
> >> --
> >> "Mrs Redboots"
> >
> >Oh do take care and don't rush things! Bad backs can become a
chronic
> >problem. Haven't you had sciatica and back pain before? I hope it
heals
> >quickly so you can return to your 2nd love (your hubbie the 1st I'm
> >sure......)
> >
> Thanks, Ant & Doris. Don't know what it is - not sciatica,
thankfully,
> more like lumbago. And now my shoulder has gone, too, which it
hasn't
> done for a very long time. Just "one of those things", I think. I'm
> about to go out on an errand, so I hope that will help loosen things
up
> a bit.
> --
> "Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
> http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
> Website updated 20 February 2005

Mind how you go and don't push it, to get back too soon.

I stupidly twisted my ankle on holiday three weeks ago and didn't
really realise how badly it hurt, then accidentally re-twisted it on
exactly the same dodgy pavement and it killed. Apparently i tore some
ligaments just under my ankle and hence the huge pain.

Presonal trainer gave me lots of exercises and stretches for the area
including stuff to do on a wobble board (which i think i'll keep up
just to improve my balance...how har dis it to balance on one foot on
those things?!).

Anyway i went back to the rink last week and was in agony after 30
mins. This week my ankle has felt fine so i went back yesterday and
found that everything was ok - i warmed up slowly and only then built
up to the jumps...they were all pain free except the toe-loop which
caused a dull ache so i didn't do anymore.

Ant

25 Feb 2005 14:58:47
Julia Garcia
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

"johns" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I'm using the MITF Booklet .. about
> $10 .. to build a series of drills, and 30 minutes takes
> me nearly through the entire booklet. >

How do you get through all the moves in 30 minutes, when there are more than
40 different patterns, some of which must be done twice (both directions)?
Just curious.

Julia

25 Feb 2005 16:16:12
tiger
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

Hey Sreena,

Are you really talking about a few pounds? Or many? Also, are you
pretty close to a good target weight? (I mean, where you should be for
your height, bone structure, and so on?)

If you're talking about the last 5-10 lbs before target weight (what I
call my "winter hibernation layer"), it's usually just cutting down on
(which in my case, has to be cutting out, as I have no willpower at the
"moderation" thing) bad stuff. You know, those extra helpings or
indulgences that seem so innocuous - but aren't. In my case, that means
really sneaky snacking: I love the mid-afternoon treat, but it often
gets out of control. You'd be surprised, perhaps, at what substitutions
can do. Just a thought...

If you're talking about something a bit longer term or more
substantial, you might well want to try Mrs. Redboots' suggestion of
keeping that food journal. After a couple of weeks, take a good look at
your eating habits/patterns. A nutritionist can probably be very useful
or, as Ant suggests, another person can give you a very good
perspective for a relatively reasonable cost.

I'd love to hear more about your efforts, and wish you tons (ha) of
luck!

tiger

25 Feb 2005 18:03:11
johns
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

> How do you get through all the moves in 30 minutes, when there are more
> than
> 40 different patterns, some of which must be done twice (both directions)?

I just do a piece of each pattern. The test patterns are monsters. No need
for that as a drill. But I do them as 8s, so I do both sides. Example,
perimeter stroking done as an 8 means I turn diagonally across the rink
and do the opposite pattern at the other end. That does two patterns
in half the time. Also, I do the 8s drill in my cross strokes. That is on
the PSA video. That is a nice little drill, and fun. I break up the strokes
with power pulls in the 8s. I also combine front cross strokes with
front cross rolls ( that one set my coach off good .. said DON'T, but
I do it anyway, and I can certainly feel the difference when I change
and try to put my skate beside the other one in the cross roll, and then
stop doing it in the cross stroke. And something neat .. now I can
make my cross stroke "growl" like a cross roll. Heh! ) I'm also starting
to combine the 5-step mohawk with the 8-step mohawk. I figure since
there is so much conflict between the outside mohawk and the inside
mohawk, it would do me good to be able to change up instantly, and
do the two drills down the ice in a big 8. I've bit the dust a few times
getting confused, but right now, I keep that kind of slow. In the
double 3s, I combine that with the waltz-8 sometimes, and other
times, I combine it with a back power-3 ( I can only do one side of
that right now ). I notice in the last part of the booklet, they are
mixing it up pretty good too. By the time I get there, I'm already
playing that game, so I ignore them. In 30 minutes, I come off the ice
soaking wet .... but .... I don't feel any joint stress from it like I do
when I jump for 30 minutes. I'll come off and sit for 5 minutes, and
then go work maybe 2 jumps and alternate them day to day. I
always do waltz .. and then loop - Sal .. or tloop - flip .. and then
if I hit a good scratch spin, I stop. That is a total time of about 45
minutes, and I can do it at lunch rather than pig out at McBurgers.

johns

26 Feb 2005 13:48:22
Mrs Redboots
Re: Diet and exercise advice?

tiger wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Fri, 25 Feb 2005:

> A nutritionist can probably be very useful
>or, as Ant suggests, another person can give you a very good
>perspective for a relatively reasonable cost.

I don't know if the Flora Fit Street programme is happening in Oxford,
as it is here in South London (it's a research programme sponsored by
Unilever, makers of Flora products), but if it is, I recommend it.
We've just been, and spoken to a nutritionist, who reckoned we were
doing everything right, and just suggested adding in a yoghurt drink
(she was not employed by Flora, and said to get either Flora, Benecol or
Danone, whichever was cheapest) to help lower our cholesterol, which is
on the high side.