25 Apr 2005 09:09:34
LK
After ankle injury, how long before skating?

4 weeks ago a misstep on uneven stone steps badly sprained my ankle
and then I fell past next step into my driveway. Good thing I tend to
park un-parallel within the driveway or I would have crashed my head
into the passenger side door as I landed in the driveway. Still don't
know how I ended up at the angle I did after landing on both knees. I
must I rolled afterward to avoid hitting my car with my remaining
momentum.

No bones broken in the X-ray but MD believes a tendon may have snapped
or partially snapped off a bone in my ankle or foot because a week
later, I had subdermal bleeding which is I went to see the MD.

Nerve damage too because of tingling and pain, too, that stopped a few
days ago. I cautiously went to my belly dance class this past
Wednesday but I lacked flexibility and strength to do turns on that
foot. I want to get back on the ice but my ankle still bothers me,
still feels a little stiff at times, and is still a little swollen
around the lower and front part of the bone and top of my foot.

Should I stay off the ice until the swelling is totally gone?

I've been joking with people that skating is far safer for me because
my skates have excellent ankle support, I wear knee pads, and wrist
guards.

Another note about our skating club injuries. In addition to the
little girl who fell and broke her collar bone during a lesson weeks
ago, there was a collision a few days later between coaches practicing
a dancing pattern together and another skater that put that the solo
skater into the hospital and emergency surgery for a broken elbow.

A couple weeks earlier these same coaches practicing their dance
pattern and I almost collided. I misjudged the judge the direction
their pattern would take them. I have zero knowledge about dance
patterns but I expected them to make a bigger circuit of the rink. So
since my experience, when ever I see them practicing dance patterns I
work at being 1/3 of the rink away from them. I now know dance
patterns don't do the perimeter of the rink.

I guess, because I associate ice patterns as having evolved from
social dancing at rinks I expected that ice dancers would be more
aware of others on the ice than free style skaters. Then again it can
be easier to navigate when there are more people on the ice, than to
keep track of one other skater because the "interruptions" are more
regular.

My ankle is telling me it isn't too happy with the walking around I
did at the mall yesterday. Feels like time for another hot wrap.

LK

25 Apr 2005 09:37:37
Lyle Walsh
Re: After ankle injury, how long before skating?

Sorry to hear about all this chaos and trauma. I strongly believe that the
most dangerous skaters are the coaches because they always expect everyone
to get out of their way, after all they "own" the rink and tells us all what
to do! I also practice your 1/3 of the ice away rule whenever someone is
working dance or thir program, especially the high level skaters. Beware of
the edges however as the dances realy are supposed to fill the ice, the
safest place is right in the middle as very very few dances are supposed to
cross the midline.

As for your poor ankle, ligament tears often take longer to repair than
broken bones. Ideally, you should wear a walking cast for a few weeks.
Only you can judge when you are ready to get back on the ice. Just be
careful as ankles are notorious for incomplete healing and are often much
weaker after an injury that isn't allowed to heal properly. The best ankle
rehab is to sit barefoot and hold your foot in the air and draw the
alphabet, upper and lower case, print and then cursive, in the air with your
big toe. When you can do this without pain, you should be able to go on to
bigger things. Good Luck
Lyle

25 Apr 2005 14:29:22
Mrs Redboots

LK wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Mon, 25 Apr 2005:

>Should I stay off the ice until the swelling is totally gone?

Probably, but, hey, you're a skater - you'll skate when you feel ready,
and bother what the doctors say!

Seriously, I agree about the support that skates provide. My daughter
sprained her ankle one summer, not even very badly, and found that she
was actually more comfortable on the ice than off it, as her skates were
about the only footwear she had that she didn't ache in!

Skate when you feel ready, whether that is tomorrow or six weeks from
now - only you will know!
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

25 Apr 2005 11:26:12
Sreena
Re: After ankle injury, how long before skating?

Mrs Redboots!
I am shocked! Please please please don't encourage skaters or anyone
to disregard their doctors advice. It isn't always just about feeling
ready because if the injury doesn't heal it will linger and get worse.
Thats just plain dangerous. I love skating too but we have to keep it
in perspective
Here's my advice. I am a qualified doctor BTW albeit a paediatrician
but if you were my patient I would say this.
If it hurts don't use it. It depends how bad your sprain is. Some can
take weeks to heal
To treat follow RICE
R= Rest. this can be anywhere between 1 week to 16 weeks. Some
excercises can be started within a week like swimming (or even jogging
-depending on the exact nature of the injury). Anything that involves
ankle work needs to be restarted with caution. the reason skates have
such a supported ankle is because skater use their ankles alot to
spin, twizzle, jump etc... Usually we say at least 2-3 weeks rest
before twisting type movements should be attempted, but again depends
on the extent of the injury. Professionals dislike doing quad jumps
out of competition bec ause of the force and discomfort on the ankle.
If your ankle is swollen it is trying to tell you something. Don't
ignore it.

I=ice. Putting ice on the ankle is helpful. it may be too late to do
so now though. Do not leave ice on for longer than 20 mins. If the
foot goes numb, it's time to remove the ice. you can put the ice on
your foot or place your foot in ice. This is usually for the first 3
days

C=compression. That is compression bandage. you may already have this.
Usually only a few days. some sprains even need a cast for upto 6
weeks. you can use a C shaped felt pad to fit in and envelope the
bottom of the ankle joint on either side under the compression
bandage.

E= elevation. Keep the ankle above shoulder level for 2-3 hours (if
possible) a day. this reduces swelling and bruises. again this is most
helpful in the first few days.

other things- don't worry about needing or taking painkillers but
always get advice first. for example, anti inflammatory drugs like
ibuprofen are very good for these types of injuries but DO NOT take
them if you have asthma or stomach ulcers. Don't take them on an empty
stomach and a maximum of 3 tablets a day, with no less than 6 hours
between doses. Paracetamol is safer in the short term but strictly
avoid them if you liver problems. Again no more than 4 times a day of
1gram (most tablets are 500mg).
Surgery for sprains is rare so it's unlikely and incredibly unlucky if
you need it. However, if you do not allow the ankle to heal properly,
it will aggravate and the damage can become more stubborn to treat
needing long periods of rest and pain killers or even surgery.

Its all relative. I don't know how bad the sprain is. some ankles are
healed ready for use within a few days , some aren't. You'll know but
be sure and most certainly don't push it. If in doubt don't use it.
Simple. I know it will be hard to stay of the ice but it's not worth
the adverse consequences

Exercises- there are alot of ankle exercises about. I good off ice and
on ice warm up before skating will prevent injuries in general. There
are special ankle supports and braces that can be used (for upto 2
weeks) or even good tape wrap.

I hope this is helpful. Please do take care and follow proper advice
otherwise there will be alot more than skating you will struggle with.
Best wishes
Sreena

Mrs Redboots <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> LK wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Mon, 25 Apr 2005:
>

> Probably, but, hey, you're a skater - you'll skate when you feel ready,
> and bother what the doctors say!
>
> Skate when you feel ready, whether that is tomorrow

25 Apr 2005 14:30:17
Lyle Walsh
Re: After ankle injury, how long before skating?

thanks
Lyle

26 Apr 2005 11:40:26
Mrs Redboots

Sreena wrote to rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational on Mon, 25 Apr 2005:

>Mrs Redboots!
>I am shocked! Please please please don't encourage skaters or anyone
>to disregard their doctors advice.

I don't - but I've yet to meet a skater who doesn't disregard such
advice! Even after major abdominal surgery.....
--
"Mrs Redboots" mailto:[email protected]
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
Website updated 3 April 2005

26 Apr 2005 07:05:48
SlingSkate
Re: After ankle injury, how long before skating?

"Should I stay off the ice until the swelling is totally gone? "

If I applied your situtaion to myself, this is what I would think:
These kinds of questions might be best answered by your doctor and
physical therapist.

At some point simple skating will be ideal for ankle rehab. However,
if started too early stressful activity can delay the healing process.

27 Apr 2005 16:28:37
Catherine Rees Lay
Re: After ankle injury, how long before skating?

In article <[email protected] >,
SlingSkate <[email protected] > writes
>"Should I stay off the ice until the swelling is totally gone? "
>
>If I applied your situtaion to myself, this is what I would think:
>These kinds of questions might be best answered by your doctor and
>physical therapist.
>
>At some point simple skating will be ideal for ankle rehab. However,
>if started too early stressful activity can delay the healing process.

I played this game recently with a frantic 8 year old with a sprained
ankle and 3 weeks to go until the first solo dance qualifier. The doctor
basically said that she could do anything that didn't hurt, but not to
make it not hurt with painkillers and then skate.

Lucky it was dance, really - she wasn't up to doing jumps until
considerably after it was fine for doing steps.

Catherine.
--
Catherine Rees Lay
To email me, use my first name in front of the "at".