13 Jun 2006 13:07:37
Terry Hall
r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group since
its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season it's
dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings are
welcome.

Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure skating
is concerned and start organizing the funeral?

rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.



Terry Hall
Head of Special Duties Section
Portland Ice Skating Society - New Zealand's Tonya Harding fan club
http://www.geocities.com/portice
Celebrating 10 years of aggressive practice: 1996-2006






13 Jun 2006 01:42:12
Jeanne Douglas
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

In article <[email protected] >,
"Terry Hall" <[email protected]_classif.ied > wrote:

> This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group since
> its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season it's
> dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings are
> welcome.
>
> Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure skating
> is concerned and start organizing the funeral?
>
> rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.

If we were actually in skating season, I might agree. But it's not like
there's anything to discuss till next season gets closer.

--
JD

"...if you think the 'Star Wars' prequels are a disease, then
'Serenity' is the cure."


12 Jun 2006 19:45:26
[email protected]
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


Jeanne Douglas wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Terry Hall" <[email protected]_classif.ied> wrote:
>
> > This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group since
> > its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season it's
> > dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings are
> > welcome.
> >
> > Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure skating
> > is concerned and start organizing the funeral?
> >
> > rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.
>
> If we were actually in skating season, I might agree. But it's not like
> there's anything to discuss till next season gets closer.

Most of the skating forums I've visited recently have very few new
posts. Of course, someone could always get a discussion going by asking
who's gay or by starting a new Tara-Michelle flame war.



12 Jun 2006 19:46:00
John Rethorst
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

In article <[email protected] >,
Jeanne Douglas <[email protected] > wrote:

> But it's not like
> there's anything to discuss till next season gets closer.

True. There's also been more than usual to discuss in the past couple of
seasons: COP and the Olympic-sized difficulties of Michelle and Sasha, two of
the best skaters in history, come to mind. Now that rock-solid performers like
Kimmie are ascendant and everyone understands COP and its connotations, we may
just squabble less and enjoy skating more.

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com


12 Jun 2006 22:59:57
Shillelagh
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


"Terry Hall" <[email protected]_classif.ied > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group since
> its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season
it's
> dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings are
> welcome.
>
> Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure
skating
> is concerned and start organizing the funeral?
>
> rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.

Come back when skating season is in full heat and then ask the question.
It's warm outside, some people are working on gardens, etc etc. "To
everything there is a season" and this isn't the season for skating
discussions.

You declare it dead if you want - I'm not ready to do that.

Have a great summer ; >)
Shelagh




13 Jun 2006 05:29:16
Jeanne Douglas
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

In article <[email protected] >,
"[email protected]" <[email protected] > wrote:

> Jeanne Douglas wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Terry Hall" <[email protected]_classif.ied> wrote:
> >
> > > This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group
> > > since
> > > its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season
> > > it's
> > > dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings are
> > > welcome.
> > >
> > > Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure
> > > skating
> > > is concerned and start organizing the funeral?
> > >
> > > rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.
> >
> > If we were actually in skating season, I might agree. But it's not like
> > there's anything to discuss till next season gets closer.
>
> Most of the skating forums I've visited recently have very few new
> posts. Of course, someone could always get a discussion going by asking
> who's gay or by starting a new Tara-Michelle flame war.

Oh, gawd, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
JD

"...if you think the 'Star Wars' prequels are a disease, then
'Serenity' is the cure."


14 Jun 2006 05:05:03
Rick
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

[email protected] wrote in message
<[email protected] >...
>
>Jeanne Douglas wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Terry Hall" <[email protected]_classif.ied> wrote:
>>
>> > This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group
since
>> > its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season
it's
>> > dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings
are
>> > welcome.
>> >
>> > Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure
skating
>> > is concerned and start organizing the funeral?
>> >
>> > rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.
>>
>> If we were actually in skating season, I might agree. But it's not like
>> there's anything to discuss till next season gets closer.
>
>Most of the skating forums I've visited recently have very few new
>posts. Of course, someone could always get a discussion going by asking
>who's gay or by starting a new Tara-Michelle flame war.

I heard Tara and Michelle are both gay and have been seeing each other
lately!

- Rick




14 Jun 2006 06:18:49
Shillelagh
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


"Rick" <[email protected] > wrote in message > >> >
> >> If we were actually in skating season, I might agree. But it's not like
> >> there's anything to discuss till next season gets closer.
> >
> >Most of the skating forums I've visited recently have very few new
> >posts. Of course, someone could always get a discussion going by asking
> >who's gay or by starting a new Tara-Michelle flame war.
>
> I heard Tara and Michelle are both gay and have been seeing each other
> lately!
>
> - Rick

AND - doing it with chairs!

Shelagh




14 Jun 2006 08:09:27
Bev Johnston
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


Terry Hall wrote:
> This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group since
> its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season it's
> dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings are
> welcome.
>
> Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure skating
> is concerned and start organizing the funeral?
>
> rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.
>
>
>
> Terry Hall
> Head of Special Duties Section
> Portland Ice Skating Society - New Zealand's Tonya Harding fan club
> http://www.geocities.com/portice
> Celebrating 10 years of aggressive practice: 1996-2006


Actually, when I visit FSU, I find myself frequenting the non-skating
related areas the most because there's more discussion going on there
than in the skating areas.

I'm only checking for new posts here about once a week. What I'm
really hoping for is the next installment of "The Strong and the
Sequined"!

Bev



14 Jun 2006 18:26:46
[email protected]
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


Bev Johnston wrote:
> Actually, when I visit FSU, I find myself frequenting the non-skating
> related areas the most because there's more discussion going on there
> than in the skating areas.

Same here. I mostly post in the "Politically Incorrect" section.

> I'm only checking for new posts here about once a week. What I'm
> really hoping for is the next installment of "The Strong and the
> Sequined"!

It's coming soon, I promise. The new chapter is about half-finished.
It's pretty long, but I don't want to chop it up into shorter
installments because everything happens on the same night.



14 Jun 2006 18:31:53
[email protected]
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


Shillelagh wrote:
> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >> >

> > I heard Tara and Michelle are both gay and have been seeing each other
> > lately!
> >
>
> AND - doing it with chairs!

I heard they got into a big fight and started banging each other over
the head with their chairs like pro wrestlers. Luckily, Tonya Harding
managed to break it up before anybody got seriously hurt.



16 Jun 2006 12:26:27
Terry Hall
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> Jeanne Douglas wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Terry Hall" <[email protected]_classif.ied> wrote:
> >
> > > This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group
since
> > > its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season
it's
> > > dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings
are
> > > welcome.
> > >
> > > Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure
skating
> > > is concerned and start organizing the funeral?
> > >
> > > rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.
> >
> > If we were actually in skating season, I might agree. But it's not like
> > there's anything to discuss till next season gets closer.
>
> Most of the skating forums I've visited recently have very few new
> posts.

A quick check of the Special Duties Section's archive of rssif posts gives
the following numbers of postings in recent years:

June 2002 - 1297
June 2003 - 755
June 2004 - 502
June 2005 - 97

These figures may not be totally accurate, but they're close enough to show
an obvious trend, namely downwards. At this rate, we'll be around 60 or so
for June 2006. So even for the off-season, it's bad.

Part of this decline may be because the postings for 2002 were exceptionally
high because of the SLC scandal. Another factor may be AOL's dumping of
newsgroups a year or so ago. Indeed, it seems that alot of major ISP's don't
carry newsgroups - NZ's biggest ISP, Xtra, has apparently dropped newsgroups
recently as well. Whatever the reason, it doesn't look good for the future if
things don't pick up substantially.


> Of course, someone could always get a discussion going by
> asking who's gay or by starting a new Tara-Michelle flame
> war.

Or even better, one about how Tonya got ripped off by the corrupt skating
establishment.


Terry Hall
Head of Special Duties Section
Portland Ice Skating Society - New Zealand's Tonya Harding fan club
http://www.geocities.com/portice
Celebrating 10 years of aggressive practice: 1996-2006





15 Jun 2006 19:54:23
[email protected]
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


Terry Hall wrote:

> A quick check of the Special Duties Section's archive of rssif posts gives
> the following numbers of postings in recent years:
>
> June 2002 - 1297
> June 2003 - 755
> June 2004 - 502
> June 2005 - 97
>
> These figures may not be totally accurate, but they're close enough to show
> an obvious trend, namely downwards. At this rate, we'll be around 60 or so
> for June 2006. So even for the off-season, it's bad.
>
> Part of this decline may be because the postings for 2002 were exceptionally
> high because of the SLC scandal. Another factor may be AOL's dumping of
> newsgroups a year or so ago. Indeed, it seems that alot of major ISP's don't
> carry newsgroups - NZ's biggest ISP, Xtra, has apparently dropped newsgroups
> recently as well.

I just access RSSIF and other Usenet groups via Google Groups. For me,
this works better than it did when I used my newsreader on my old
computer.

> Whatever the reason, it doesn't look good for the future if
> things don't pick up substantially.

Most of the former RSSIF regulars are posting on Skatefans now, but
activity there is pretty low too. I think the bottom line is that
there's not much going on in the skating world right now. I also think
a lot of the old regular posters were mostly interested in older
skaters who are now retired or semi-retired.



16 Jun 2006 00:24:17
Sandra Loosemore
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

"[email protected]" <[email protected] > writes:

> Most of the former RSSIF regulars are posting on Skatefans now, but
> activity there is pretty low too. I think the bottom line is that
> there's not much going on in the skating world right now. I also think
> a lot of the old regular posters were mostly interested in older
> skaters who are now retired or semi-retired.

I think there are a lot of factors involved. I'd say the biggest ones
are ISPs not carrying Usenet any more, people who are new to the net
not realizing that there are alternatives to Google's Usenet interface,
the unmoderated nature of this group and the proliferation of
Chuckie-spam, and the popularity of moderated message boards. Many
more people seem to hang out at FSU these days than on the Skatefans
mailing list, in particular, and there are about a gazillion other
special-interest skating message boards.

As for me, I don't post so much about skating anywhere as I used to,
and it's not because I was ever "mostly interested in older skaters who
are now retired"; it's because I've been getting less interested in the
sport generally. The CoP has made the sport boring because all
programs look alike nowadays. Dancers are too busy twizzling to
actually dance any more. Speedy is more interested in patting himself
on the back than in doing anything to get rid of corrupt or incompetent
judges. The USFSA is more interested in kissing Speedy's butt than in
doing the Right Thing. On top of that, they're driving away their core
audience from attending their live events because of high ticket prices
and fan-unfriendly policies. Some other fans are so scary that maybe I
don't want to be a fan myself any more, either. :-P I still enjoy
seeing good technique, and I'm still interested in skaters as individuals,
but I can't really get very excited about competition at the elite level
any more.

Anyway, I still lurk here on rssif, but lately there seems to be very
little conversation going on here that I want to contribute to.

-Sandra the cynic




16 Jun 2006 21:47:19
Marizel
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

On 16 Jun 2006 00:24:17 -0400, Sandra Loosemore
<[email protected] > wrote:

> The CoP has made the sport boring because all programs look alike nowadays.
It does seem to have had that effect. I don't know that that was the
inevitable effect, but it seems the way it's worked out. Some of the
points definitely need to be tweaked, especially the Biellman stuff,
and the points for spins on the "wrong" edges. I'd rather see a
really nice regular spiral or scratch spin than some wonky "Level 6"
thing.

>Dancers are too busy twizzling to actually dance any more.

Boy is that ever true. I'll nominate that for quote of the decade!

Mary
~~
"Heps, who did steps, aren't stepping any more, they're doing
choreography" -- Irving Berling from "White Christmas"
<http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/irving_berlin/choreography.html



16 Jun 2006 20:43:07
[email protected]
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?


Marizel wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2006 00:24:17 -0400, Sandra Loosemore
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The CoP has made the sport boring because all programs look alike nowadays.
> It does seem to have had that effect. I don't know that that was the
> inevitable effect, but it seems the way it's worked out. Some of the
> points definitely need to be tweaked, especially the Biellman stuff,
> and the points for spins on the "wrong" edges. I'd rather see a
> really nice regular spiral or scratch spin than some wonky "Level 6"
> thing.

Most of these same skaters weren't setting the world on fire
artistically before CoP, so I don't hold the new judging system 100
percent responsible for all the boring programs. They're just boring in
a different way now.



17 Jun 2006 10:11:10
Gonna Skate
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

Sandra Loosemore wrote:
> the unmoderated nature of this group and the proliferation of
> Chuckie-spam, and the popularity of moderated message boards.

For me Chuckie is easier to swallow (read as ignore) than some of the
other repellant posters like That One who posted so much about hating
one particular skater and sounded like a child with her repetition, her
use of language and her imaginary friends.

> Many more people seem to hang out at FSU these days

FSU can be a lot of fun. And irreverent. There is no way I'd take in
all the posts over there the same way I read everything over here.

> The CoP has made the sport boring because all
> programs look alike nowadays.

True. Saw that one coming. And I can't wait till all the ladies start
copying Mao Asada. That'll be so much fun (not!).

> Dancers are too busy twizzling to
> actually dance any more.

True.

> On top of that, they're driving away their core
> audience from attending their live events because of high ticket prices
> and fan-unfriendly policies.

True. Attending a skating event is rather grueling and expensive and
exposes one to the potential of malnutrition and communicable disease.
And sometimes seeing all the events (which you've paid for) isn't
even possible due to venue locations and scheduling conflicts - at
least in the US. Not cool.

> Some other fans are so scary that maybe I
> don't want to be a fan myself any more, either. :-P

True. The things they post don't make me feel proud of the sport.
Actually, they don't make me feel proud of humans in general. :-(

> I still enjoy
> seeing good technique, and I'm still interested in skaters as individuals,
> but I can't really get very excited about competition at the elite level
> any more.

I still get excited in some ways, but I'm way less interested in
talking about it. By the time I've read the results of the competition
online, looked up the judge's sheets and the speculative and technical
discussions surrounding them, read the first hand reports about the
judging, and finally get to see the skating myself, I'm pretty well
done. If I don't do all of that, I don't feel qualified to comment. So
I don't feel like posting about it all that often except in rather
general ways. They really do need to find a better way to get the
judging information out to the public for televised skating events. I
do find going to my own competitions, and watching my friends skate
(adults and children), to be more "interesting," but I'm pretty sure
nobody here wants me to post about that.

> Anyway, I still lurk here on rssif, but lately there seems to be very
> little conversation going on here that I want to contribute to.

True.

> -Sandra the cynic

...and...

Gonna Skate



18 Jun 2006 05:57:29
Polar Bear One
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

X-No-Archive: Yes

Terry Hall wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Jeanne Douglas wrote:
> > > In article <[email protected]>,
> > > "Terry Hall" <[email protected]_classif.ied> wrote:
> > >
> > > > This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group
> since
> > > > its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season
> it's
> > > > dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings
> are
> > > > welcome.
> > > >
> > > > Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure
> skating
> > > > is concerned and start organizing the funeral?
> > > >
> > > > rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.
> > >
> > > If we were actually in skating season, I might agree. But it's not like
> > > there's anything to discuss till next season gets closer.
> >
> > Most of the skating forums I've visited recently have very few new
> > posts.
>
> A quick check of the Special Duties Section's archive of rssif posts gives
> the following numbers of postings in recent years:
>
> June 2002 - 1297
> June 2003 - 755
> June 2004 - 502
> June 2005 - 97
>
> These figures may not be totally accurate, but they're close enough to show
> an obvious trend, namely downwards. At this rate, we'll be around 60 or so
> for June 2006. So even for the off-season, it's bad.
>
> Part of this decline may be because the postings for 2002 were exceptionally
> high because of the SLC scandal. Another factor may be AOL's dumping of
> newsgroups a year or so ago. Indeed, it seems that alot of major ISP's don't
> carry newsgroups - NZ's biggest ISP, Xtra, has apparently dropped newsgroups
> recently as well. Whatever the reason, it doesn't look good for the future if
> things don't pick up substantially.

Newsgroups take bandwidth, and bandwidth costs money. It costs a lot
more nowadays to run a computer server installation. Higher oil and gas
prices translate into higher electrcity prices, so installations have
to save money elsewhere. It can also be attributed to the use of
filtering software in corporate, educationnal, and instituational use
to curb bandwidth usage. Many filters do block access to most or all
newsgroups, and rssif and asf are on the list.
Filters also block on other criteria as well. Anything to do with
Tonya will likely be blocked under "crime and criminal skills".
WebWasher, Bess, Websense, SurfControl, and Cyber Patrol, for example,
all block the Portland Ice Skating Society Web site
under varying categories. In addition to "crime and criminal skills",
the site will be blocked under sports and "personal sites" categories.



19 Jun 2006 19:26:36
Nick Cassaro
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

Terry Hall wrote:

> This has to be one of the sparsest months for postings in this group since
> its creation - 16 (not including this) so far. Even for the off-season it's
> dismal. It's actually reached the point where even CHUCKIE'S rantings are
> welcome.
>
> Should we now declare usenet to be officially dead as far as figure skating
> is concerned and start organizing the funeral?

Of course not. We'll all be back for Nationals and Worlds tomorrow.

>
> rec.sport.skating.ice.figure: 1995 - 2006. RIP.
>
>
>
> Terry Hall
> Head of Special Duties Section
> Portland Ice Skating Society - New Zealand's Tonya Harding fan club
> http://www.geocities.com/portice
> Celebrating 10 years of aggressive practice: 1996-2006
>
>
>
>


13 Jul 2006 11:34:02
digitydew
Re: r.s.s.i.f. - time to call the undertaker?

I think that soon someone will use the point system, but do it
artistically and THEN we'll really have something. Unlike the old
system where the artistic impression marks could make up for lack of
content (a la Kwan). I had given up watching skating until the point
system, because talk about looking alike! If you turned off the music
they all looked alike. Not to mention the "play it safe" attitude.
Skaters cannot afford to do that now, and it is getting much more
interesting now. There is a little more risk involved and I think
that if you are going to call this a sport, that is as it should be.

The dancers really ARE twizzling too much, IMO. The points for that
should be reduced a bit, and maybe the'll find something different to
do.

Also are points awards for really really strong stroking on the "plain"
parts of singles and pairs? If not, there should be. It makes a
world of difference in the presentation.

My ISP does not provide usenet, and I can't think that a comment once a
month or so is worth the price of a separate server for usenet.
Especially since I don't do binaries any more.




Marizel wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2006 00:24:17 -0400, Sandra Loosemore
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The CoP has made the sport boring because all programs look alike nowadays.
> It does seem to have had that effect. I don't know that that was the
> inevitable effect, but it seems the way it's worked out. Some of the
> points definitely need to be tweaked, especially the Biellman stuff,
> and the points for spins on the "wrong" edges. I'd rather see a
> really nice regular spiral or scratch spin than some wonky "Level 6"
> thing.
>
> >Dancers are too busy twizzling to actually dance any more.
>
> Boy is that ever true. I'll nominate that for quote of the decade!
>
> Mary
> ~~
> "Heps, who did steps, aren't stepping any more, they're doing
> choreography" -- Irving Berling from "White Christmas"
> <http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/irving_berlin/choreography.html