31 Jan 2004 09:50:33
Sharebear
Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0125_01C3E7A4.FFB487E0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hey all,

I used to lurk this group quite a bit, but I'll start a new post for =
once. I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinions and observations. I =
seriously wonder how she won 6 titles.....every time I've seen her =
skate, she only lands less than a handful of triples. I have to laugh =
everytime Jen's in the Kiss and Cry with her coach after a bad =
performance, they are talk like she just had the skate of her life. =
Doug: "Good going tiger, you landed 3 triples today!" Jen: "That was =
my goal today! I even placed top 15!" Year after year after year. It =
would have been interesting to send the other skater to Worlds. I think =
she's proven over and over again that she's just not top tier. Anyone =
else feel the same? Or have I been absent from this newsgroup too long?

S.

--
------=_NextPart_000_0125_01C3E7A4.FFB487E0
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >
<HTML ><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1" >
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=3DGENERATOR >
<STYLE ></STYLE>
</HEAD >
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff >
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hey all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I used to lurk this group =
quite a bit,=20
but I'll start a new post for once.  I'm not trying to be mean, =
just my=20
opinions and observations.  I seriously wonder how she won 6=20
titles.....every time I've seen her skate, she only lands less =
than a=20
handful of triples.  I have to laugh everytime Jen's in the Kiss =
and Cry=20
with her coach after a bad performance, they are talk like she just had =
the=20
skate of her life.  Doug:  "Good going tiger, you landed 3 =
triples=20
today!"  Jen:  "That was my goal today!  I even placed =
top=20
15!"  Year after year after year.  It would have been =
interesting to=20
send the other skater to Worlds.  I think she's proven over and =
over again=20
that she's just not top tier.  Anyone else feel the same?  Or =
have I=20
been absent from this newsgroup too long?</FONT ></DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>S.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV ><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>--</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0125_01C3E7A4.FFB487E0--



31 Jan 2004 10:54:41
Roj
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

> skate, she only lands less than a handful of triples. I have to laugh
> everytime Jen's in the Kiss and Cry with her coach after a bad
> performance, they are talk like she just had the skate of her life.

I understand what you are saying, but what you find annoying I find
endearing. I love Jennifer Robinson. But not for her skating. I like
watching her in the kiss and cry. After a forgettable performance
she'll be all smiles and bubbly excitement. She's so cute. I like her
attitude. Not everyone will win gold. Bronze medalists ought to be
happy too. They all should be happy just for qualifying to participate
in the competition. Some are. Jennifer Robinson always is.

As for her skating, I don't know. Isn't she relatively old for the
sport? Maybe she was better in the past? Any comments?


31 Jan 2004 21:18:45
manhn
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?


"Roj" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> > skate, she only lands less than a handful of triples. I have to laugh
> > everytime Jen's in the Kiss and Cry with her coach after a bad
> > performance, they are talk like she just had the skate of her life.
>
> I understand what you are saying, but what you find annoying I find
> endearing. I love Jennifer Robinson. But not for her skating. I like
> watching her in the kiss and cry. After a forgettable performance
> she'll be all smiles and bubbly excitement. She's so cute. I like her
> attitude. Not everyone will win gold. Bronze medalists ought to be
> happy too. They all should be happy just for qualifying to participate
> in the competition. Some are. Jennifer Robinson always is.
>
> As for her skating, I don't know. Isn't she relatively old for the
> sport? Maybe she was better in the past? Any comments?

Jen's best year was 2002, the best time to peak. I adore Jennifer's
attitude. Her reaction after her SP in the Olympics was great (and her
interview with Debbi WIlkes after the qualifying of last year's Worlds was
terrific too). For Canadian figure skating fans during the Olympics in SLC,
Jennifer provided a genuinely happy moment amidst the politics (I'm sure we
all know what I'm talking about) and disappointing performances (Elvis, B&K,
Emanuel's injury).

Lewis.




31 Jan 2004 15:33:25
Shillelagh
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?


"Sharebear" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>Hey all,

>I used to lurk this group quite a bit, but I'll start a new post for once.
I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinions and >observations. I seriously
wonder how she won 6 titles.

Because the other Canadian women were worse than Jen. Simple. But,
hopefully, we have a few of them coming up that might improve the state of
Canadian women's singles skating. Like - Cynthia Phaneuf. Her jumps seem
to be much more secure than Robinson's, but they don't have a lot of height.
Joannie Rochette can be a lovely skater, but she's not consistent.

There's a 14 y/o (damn - I forgot her name) who could be good in a few
years. She is copying a lot of Cohen's moves, but needs a lot of
"finishing" to come anywhere close.

Shelagh




31 Jan 2004 13:54:12
Fred Goss
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

Jennifer has been 6-time Cdn champion because no other Cdn lady was
better.....all of her nationals performances weren't wondeful, but if the
door was open, no one went through/

Jennifer also has placed top 10 4 times at Olympics and Worlds..that
I think fairly represents the limits of her ability.

Poster wonders if sending another skater to worlds would have been
"more interesting"

Well, a couple times the year after Jen's performance earned Canada
two spots at worlds, the performance of the "other skater" promptly
lost that second spot again

I suspect she is close to the end of her eligible career...since no one
has ever said she isnt a hard worker, I just done see why people seem to f
feel personally affronted that she hasnt been "better" or that it is
"her fault" that no other Canadian ladies have been able to defeat her.


Fred


31 Jan 2004 15:29:52
Darwin
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:50:33 GMT, "Sharebear" <[email protected] > wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I used to lurk this group quite a bit, but I'll start a new post for once. I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinions and observations. I seriously wonder how she won 6 titles.....every time I've seen her skate, she only lands less than a handful of triples. I have to laugh everytime Jen's in the Kiss and Cry with her coach after a bad performance, they are talk like she just had the skate of her life. Doug: "Good going tiger, you landed 3 triples today!" Jen: "That was my goal today! I even placed top 15!" Year after year after year. It would have been interesting to send the other skater to Worlds. I think she's proven over and over again that she's just not top tier. Anyone else feel the same? Or have I been absent from this newsgroup too long?
>
>S.

Anyone else find Jennifer so very sexy? She's pretty and, unlike most
competitive skaters, she has long feminine legs and a shapely
derriere. Unfortunately, it's these feminine qualities which make it
especially difficult for her to reach the highest levels of competitive
figure skating.



01 Feb 2004 00:30:07
John Rethorst
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] (Roj) wrote:

> As for her skating, I don't know. Isn't she relatively old for the
> sport? Maybe she was better in the past? Any comments?

I generally thought she was OK but not more. Her Olympic SP, though, was
really good.

--
John Rethorst

jrethorst -at- post -dot- com


31 Jan 2004 18:57:10
Pat C
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

On 31 Jan 2004 13:54:12 -0800, [email protected] (Fred Goss) wrote:

>Jennifer has been 6-time Cdn champion because no other Cdn lady was
>better.....all of her nationals performances weren't wondeful, but if the
>door was open, no one went through.

Cdn Nats in Calgary 2001, Michelle Currie should have won that. And
in the ptb wisdom, they sent Annie Bellmare to Worlds 01 where she
choked under the pressure. I think Nicole Watt should have been sent.
(The team I would have sent is Michelle Currie and Nicole Watt). She
couldn't have done any worse. But you're right, on the whole no one
came out and grabbed the title and said it's mine. It was more a case
of no I couldn't possibly.........here you take it. ;)
>
> Jennifer also has placed top 10 4 times at Olympics and Worlds..that
>I think fairly represents the limits of her ability.

I can not begin to tell you how much Jennifer Robinson improved thru
the years. And a top 10 finish was all that ever should have been
expected.

> Poster wonders if sending another skater to worlds would have been
>"more interesting"
>
> Well, a couple times the year after Jen's performance earned Canada
>two spots at worlds, the performance of the "other skater" promptly
>lost that second spot again

see post above (wry look)

> I suspect she is close to the end of her eligible career...since no one
>has ever said she isnt a hard worker, I just done see why people seem to f
>feel personally affronted that she hasnt been "better" or that it is
>"her fault" that no other Canadian ladies have been able to defeat her.

How soon we forget. Jennifer won in 1996 because Josee Chouinard did
the most amazing crash and burn ever to have been seen at nationals.
Jr did not win that competition, Josee gave it to her. And so it has
been............

Jennifer Robsinon is a wonderful role model. She has been
complimentary when speaking about other skaters. Even when she lost
at Cdn Nats this year, she said she was not disappointed. Just amazed
at the level of competition or something like that. (Do a search on
canoe for actual remarks). She has never trash talked. Backstage
she has never been a diva. All good things.

And (sigh) for skaters like Josee, and Annie Bellmare, Michelle
Currie...............all that talent. They are/were world calibre and
could have contended with the best. But the expectation monkey and
their own nerves got them.

Pat C


31 Jan 2004 19:19:53
Jeb
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

Darwin <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:50:33 GMT, "Sharebear" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I used to lurk this group quite a bit, but I'll start a new post for once. I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinions and observations. I seriously wonder how she won 6 titles.....every time I've seen her skate, she only lands less than a handful of triples.

> Anyone else find Jennifer so very sexy? She's pretty and, unlike most
> competitive skaters, she has long feminine legs and a shapely
> derriere. Unfortunately, it's these feminine qualities which make it
> especially difficult for her to reach the highest levels of competitive
> figure skating.

I like watching Jen skate...she's got a certain graceful quality that
I find very attractive, and while I know she's not the best jumper and
I hate to see her miss them, I'd be just as happy if she'd skate
exhibition/show programs that just focused on her strengths and phased
out her weaknesses.


01 Feb 2004 14:53:22
liz
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

Darwin wrote:

>
> Anyone else find Jennifer so very sexy?

Not me. I always thought her skating had an unfortunate prissy
quality. Quite the opposite of sexy.


01 Feb 2004 14:11:37
Roj
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

> Anyone else find Jennifer so very sexy?

I do.


01 Feb 2004 14:18:34
Roj
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

> Jennifer Robsinon is a wonderful role model. She has been
> complimentary when speaking about other skaters. Even when she lost
> at Cdn Nats this year, she said she was not disappointed. Just amazed
> at the level of competition or something like that. (Do a search on
> canoe for actual remarks). She has never trash talked. Backstage
> she has never been a diva. All good things.

It sounds like you are saying she is a good sport.


02 Feb 2004 09:36:23
Rex Thomas
Re: Jennifer Robinson - Go tiger?

"Sharebear" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey all,
>
> I used to lurk this group quite a bit, but I'll start a new post for
> once. I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinions and observations. I
> seriously wonder how she won 6 titles.....every time I've seen her
> skate, she only lands less than a handful of triples. I have to laugh
> everytime Jen's in the Kiss and Cry with her coach after a bad
> performance, they are talk like she just had the skate of her life.
> Doug: "Good going tiger, you landed 3 triples today!" Jen: "That was
> my goal today! I even placed top 15!" Year after year after year. It
> would have been interesting to send the other skater to Worlds. I think
> she's proven over and over again that she's just not top tier. Anyone
> else feel the same? Or have I been absent from this newsgroup too long?
>
> S.

I think she's real pretty, but I don't think she's a great skater.
And my friends from Vancouver hate her and want her to retire so the
newer, younger ladies like Phaneuf and Rochette can try to win ladies'
medals for Canada. They are obsessed about skating and feel Jennifer
is a waste of space. They laughed uncontrollably at her numbers in
Browning's "Gotta Skate". I didn't laugh, but she's not very good.
Sorry. But she does have a positive attitude, which is the best thing
about her. Very sportsmanlike. For some reason, she reminds me of
Ashley Judd.