31 Jan 2008 09:40:49
Mark (newsgroups)
Ze French want transformation too

International Rugby Board chairman Bernard Lapasset says South Africa
have the responsibility to transform rugby because the world is waiting
for an example to follow.

Lapasset, who succeeded Syd Millar on January 1, watched a training
session with black youngsters in the Cape Town township of Khayelithsa.
He is in the country to discuss the ongoing development of the game with
officials from the South African Rugby Union.

Speaking to keo.co.za Lapasset said the IRB were aware of the challenges
South Africa faced in terms of transforming rugby but insisted that that
process needs to be continued vigilantly, adding that the IRB had an
important role to play in helping Saru achieve their goals.

“Transformation in South African rugby is important,” he said. “We need
to continue to develop the game across all sectors of the population and
I think the system they have in place in South Africa is very efficient
and will achieve that in time. The IRB are in total support of
transformation.

“This country is high on our list of priorities in terms of assisting
with development because we realise that South Africa has enormous
talent across all race groups. We need to do better in our assistance to
this country because it has the potential to be a glowing example of
what can be achieved if transformation is conducted in the correct
manner,” he continued.

“We have regions in France, England and South America that have similar
challenges to South Africa, which it is why it is vital that the South
African example is an encouragement and a model to those unions.”

Lapasset’s belief the South African system is efficient is incorrect and
sounds every bit a man who is ill-informed about that system’s major
flaws. What’s more concerning is that he’ll leave with that impression
as a result of Saru’s successful publicity stunt of getting a hundred or
so kids from local schools to rock up at a sports ground and put up a
rosy front for the IRB chairman.

“This never happens during the week,” one of the local residents told
keo.co.za when asked if he sees regular development programmes in the
area. “The kids around here play soccer. They’re not interested in rugby
and the rugby people don’t do much to encourage interest. Our local
rugby club has a few junior sides and struggles to field three senior
sides during the season. They’re (Saru) putting on a show for these
people and if you come back after this session, the kids will be playing
soccer not rugby.

“It’s still seen as a white man’s sport.”

31 Jan 2008 11:34:02
Chris D
Re: Ze French want transformation too

"Mark (newsgroups)" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
< snip >

> “We have regions in France, England and South America that have similar
> challenges to South Africa, which it is why it is vital that the South
> African example is an encouragement and a model to those unions.”

Eh? I wonder which regions they'd be then?

< snip >

31 Jan 2008 14:57:11
Ferdi
Re: Ze French want transformation too

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:40:49 +0000, "Mark (newsgroups)"
<[email protected] > wrote:

<< >International Rugby Board chairman Bernard Lapasset says South
Africa
>have the responsibility to transform rugby because the world is waiting
>for an example to follow.>>

Of course he supports unbribled transformation in SA. He wants to win
a WC.

It will be interesting to know what he understands as transformation:
The team representing the population as a whole or the team
representing the people that play and watch rugby.

31 Jan 2008 06:00:02
ruggeryoda

On Jan 31, 1:34 pm, "Chris D" <[email protected] > wrote:
> "Mark (newsgroups)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
> < snip >
>

> > "We have regions in France, England and South America that have similar
> > challenges to South Africa, which it is why it is vital that the South
> > African example is an encouragement and a model to those unions."
>
> Eh? I wonder which regions they'd be then?

Australia to, like, have Australians in their side?
-R