28 Sep 2003 16:31:14
[email protected]
Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

We should be thankful that we live in enlightened times where there is a
forum to debate who should open RWC03. It seems that just about nobody
wants John Howard judging by votes cast at http://www.openthecup.com/
Some interesting alternative candidates are;

Previous RWC winning captains
Oldest surviving ruggers
The Queen
Dame Edna
President Bush
Kylie Minogue
Rupert Murdoch
Max Boyce
Headmaster of Rugby School

I think rsru can do better than this ...

--
-------------------------------------------------------
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. -- Wyatt Earp




28 Sep 2003 22:01:21
The Green Phantom
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

[email protected] wrote:

> We should be thankful that we live in enlightened times where there is a
> forum to debate who should open RWC03. It seems that just about nobody
> wants John Howard judging by votes cast at http://www.openthecup.com/
> Some interesting alternative candidates are;
>
> Previous RWC winning captains
> Oldest surviving ruggers
> The Queen
> Dame Edna
> President Bush
> Kylie Minogue
> Rupert Murdoch
> Max Boyce
> Headmaster of Rugby School
>
> I think rsru can do better than this ...

Heidi Fleiss, at least she has a rugby connection with hookers.

regards

The Green Phantom
--
Never drink from your finger bowl -- it contains only water.



29 Sep 2003 08:27:51
G.Moa
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> We should be thankful that we live in enlightened times where there is a
> forum to debate who should open RWC03. It seems that just about nobody
> wants John Howard judging by votes cast at http://www.openthecup.com/
> Some interesting alternative candidates are;
>
> Previous RWC winning captains
> Oldest surviving ruggers
> The Queen
> Dame Edna
> President Bush
> Kylie Minogue
> Rupert Murdoch
> Max Boyce
> Headmaster of Rugby School
>
> I think rsru can do better than this ...
>
> --
> -------------------------------------------------------
> Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. -- Wyatt Earp
>

What about a jolly swagman!
or a waltzing matilda!
G.
>




29 Sep 2003 10:58:01
Stephen Doyle
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

Erica Roe
--
Cheers
Stephen Doyle
[email protected]
www.dmsystems.co.nz/mbslc

"G.Moa" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > We should be thankful that we live in enlightened times where there is a
> > forum to debate who should open RWC03. It seems that just about nobody
> > wants John Howard judging by votes cast at http://www.openthecup.com/
> > Some interesting alternative candidates are;
> >
> > Previous RWC winning captains
> > Oldest surviving ruggers
> > The Queen
> > Dame Edna
> > President Bush
> > Kylie Minogue
> > Rupert Murdoch
> > Max Boyce
> > Headmaster of Rugby School
> >
> > I think rsru can do better than this ...
> >
> > --
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. -- Wyatt Earp
> >
>
> What about a jolly swagman!
> or a waltzing matilda!
> G.
> >
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.521 / Virus Database: 319 - Release Date: 23/09/2003




29 Sep 2003 07:05:29
Greg
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:31:14 -0400, "[email protected]"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>We should be thankful that we live in enlightened times where there is a
>forum to debate who should open RWC03. It seems that just about nobody
>wants John Howard judging by votes cast at http://www.openthecup.com/
>Some interesting alternative candidates are;
>
>Previous RWC winning captains
>Oldest surviving ruggers
>The Queen
>Dame Edna
>President Bush
>Kylie Minogue
>Rupert Murdoch
>Max Boyce
>Headmaster of Rugby School
>
>I think rsru can do better than this ...
Australias greatest living actor today...Julian McMahon. and he can do
it in the Roy & HG tradition of dropping his daks, wedging a rolled up
newspaper in has crack and lighting it. Then a lap of the oval.

Greg


29 Sep 2003 18:08:12
Matua
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?


"G.Moa" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > We should be thankful that we live in enlightened times where there is a
> > forum to debate who should open RWC03. It seems that just about nobody
> > wants John Howard judging by votes cast at http://www.openthecup.com/
> > Some interesting alternative candidates are;
> >
> > Previous RWC winning captains
> > Oldest surviving ruggers
> > The Queen
> > Dame Edna
> > President Bush
> > Kylie Minogue
> > Rupert Murdoch
> > Max Boyce
> > Headmaster of Rugby School
> >
> > I think rsru can do better than this ...
> >
> > --
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. -- Wyatt Earp
> >
>
> What about a jolly swagman!
> or a waltzing matilda!
> G.
> >
>
>
How about Richard Loe, with his fingers in the swagmans eyes.
Matua.




29 Sep 2003 05:08:27
David Covey
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

"[email protected]" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> We should be thankful that we live in enlightened times where there is a
> forum to debate who should open RWC03. It seems that just about nobody
> wants John Howard judging by votes cast at http://www.openthecup.com/
> Some interesting alternative candidates are;
>
> Previous RWC winning captains
> Oldest surviving ruggers
> The Queen
> Dame Edna
> President Bush
> Kylie Minogue
> Rupert Murdoch
> Max Boyce
> Headmaster of Rugby School

Surely it should be Sir Les Pattison (sp?) I think Australia
should be seeking to shrug off its stereotypes and go with a more
modern, sophisticated image and Sir Les would certainly be a step up.

If Max Boyce is still alilve, shouldn't he be put out of our
misery?

UD


30 Sep 2003 12:12:14
Observer
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

Seriously

prince Harry


"David Covey" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<[email protected] >...
> > We should be thankful that we live in enlightened times where there is a
> > forum to debate who should open RWC03. It seems that just about nobody
> > wants John Howard judging by votes cast at http://www.openthecup.com/
> > Some interesting alternative candidates are;
> >
> > Previous RWC winning captains
> > Oldest surviving ruggers
> > The Queen
> > Dame Edna
> > President Bush
> > Kylie Minogue
> > Rupert Murdoch
> > Max Boyce
> > Headmaster of Rugby School
>
> Surely it should be Sir Les Pattison (sp?) I think Australia
> should be seeking to shrug off its stereotypes and go with a more
> modern, sophisticated image and Sir Les would certainly be a step up.
>
> If Max Boyce is still alilve, shouldn't he be put out of our
> misery?
>
> UD




30 Sep 2003 15:08:15
alvey
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

Observer wrote:

> Seriously
>
> prince Harry

I'd love to read of your reasons.



alvey



29 Sep 2003 22:19:44
Bill Taylor
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

[email protected] (David Covey) wrote

> Surely it should be Sir Les Pattison (sp?) I think Australia
> should be seeking to shrug off its stereotypes and go with a more
> modern, sophisticated image and Sir Les would certainly be a step up.

_ _____ _ _
| | | _ | | | | |
_|/_ | | | | | | | | |_| _|/_
/| | |_ | |_| | | |_ _ /|
|___| |_____| |___| |_|


.--------.
______|________|______ ,-----------------------.
(______________________) | Aww strewth! Who the |
| | (< O >/ < O>) | | | fuck could that be? |
D D | (___) | D D _________| SHIRL! GO SEE WHO'S |
___________|`.`.'.'.'|______________ | AT THE FUCKING DOOR! |
.' |`.=====.'| `. `-----------------------'
| `..`.'.'..' |
| ________/`-----'\________ |
| /| | | | |
`._/ | | .----. | | \____.'
.' / | | |~~~~| | | `.
| / | `. |XXXX|_.' |
|/ /| `._____.------ \____ |
/ / | :--- : |
/ / | :--- _________.' |
: : | `-----'' | |
: `. | |XXXX| | |
`. `.| `----' | |
|`. `. | |
|__`. `. | ______|
.' `.___`.__________________|.' ___ `.
.' / *scratch* ++ `.
.' / ++ `.
' / *scratch* ++ `.
/ _____ `.
..... / / ............:.
`/ / .' `.
/ / :
/ / / :
==========================================================================


30 Sep 2003 03:21:15
Ian Diddams
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

How about - nobody?

What is this fascination with a 3 hour show pertaining to nothing
regarding the actual point of the thuing being opened? Soccer,
Olympics, Rugby... why do we have to have loads of girlies and
artistes and kids running around waving flags and hoops and loud
crashed and bangs and music? Why?

What's wrong with a vopice just sayiong "Welcome to the opening match
of the RWC 2003", two anthems and a few handshakes followed by a
whistle blast and game?

If people want drama, and dance and music go to a bloddy theatre or
nightclub!



Does the Hay on Wye festival, or the Stratford summer season, or the
Bolshoi winter open with a rugby match? 'Course not!!!!


Didds


30 Sep 2003 12:02:33
Nigel Evans
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?


"Ian Diddams" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> How about - nobody?
>
> What is this fascination with a 3 hour show pertaining to nothing
> regarding the actual point of the thuing being opened? Soccer,
> Olympics, Rugby... why do we have to have loads of girlies and
> artistes and kids running around waving flags and hoops and loud
> crashed and bangs and music? Why?

You've gone very miserable. When you get to my age you will enjoy the show.
The New Zealand rugby union game between Northlands and Otago was one of the
worst I've ever seen, but the cheerleaders were OK and I made money by
betting on shirt numbers.

>
> What's wrong with a vopice just sayiong "Welcome to the opening match
> of the RWC 2003", two anthems and a few handshakes followed by a
> whistle blast and game?

The world is in union. Brotherly love and all that sort of stuff.


>
> If people want drama, and dance and music go to a bloddy theatre or
> nightclub!

Temper !


> Does the Hay on Wye festival, or the Stratford summer season, or the
> Bolshoi winter open with a rugby match? 'Course not!!!!

Hay-on-Wye never closes so it doesn't start. There's an excellent fish and
chip shop there.




01 Oct 2003 19:39:11
Tony Elson
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?


"Nigel Evans" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Ian Diddams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > How about - nobody?
> >
> > What is this fascination with a 3 hour show pertaining to nothing
> > regarding the actual point of the thuing being opened? Soccer,
> > Olympics, Rugby... why do we have to have loads of girlies and
> > artistes and kids running around waving flags and hoops and loud
> > crashed and bangs and music? Why?
>
> You've gone very miserable. When you get to my age you will enjoy the
show.
> The New Zealand rugby union game between Northlands and Otago was one of
the
> worst I've ever seen, but the cheerleaders were OK and I made money by
> betting on shirt numbers.

As an Otago supporter, I couldn't agree more. Pathetic.

>
> The world is in union. Brotherly love and all that sort of stuff.

Yeah right. We hate John "Possum Head" O'Neill's guts because he is a dirty
convict spawn of an Irishman, and a dirty lying cheating bastard to boot.
The South African hate everyone, including themselves. And everyone hates
the English, but especially France. Wales don't hate anyone mind you...there
isn't anyone there anymore.

Yep, world in Union alright.

Can't wait.





02 Oct 2003 04:51:08
Ian Diddams
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

"Nigel Evans" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> You've gone very miserable.

I am sorry I disappoint you Nigel. But I have realised at the age of
41 that so much of our society is puerile, facile and down right -
well - pointless.

One buys the smallest thing and it it is wrapped in umpteen layers and
proudly placed in a bag so you can carry it. That is what I have
pockets, or a backpack for.

If I buy a toy or a game for my children - perhaps it is chrisrtmas
and it is a seasonal gesture of kindness from me, their father, to
them, my offspring... I wouldn't normally spoil themn you understand
- it is the toy that I am interested in, not the garish packet, or the
yards of cellophane, or the umpteen mini-gadgets that are totally
peripheral to the object but which cause the greatest of heartache to
ones so young when they role underneath the antimacassar from great
aunty Ethel that hasn't been moved since she passed away in 1957. I
only want the main toy - not all this claptrap.

Its the same with sport. Once one could get a ticket for a match with
a kick off at 3 pm and be safe in the knwoeldge that when you got to
the seat at 2.50 pm one could have a quick sing then the game would
start. But now you get bullied into your seat eons before the
kick-off so as to aid "crowd logistics" to then have to suffer a
cornucopia of banal and intelligence insulting "entertainments" - the
recent England v France international was preceeded by UB40 would you
believe "playing" some dirge that apparently was meant to be "Swing
Low". As my wife opined at the time "I used to like UB40".

Why can't we just have the primary "thing" any longer? Why do we need
cheerleaders? These were American inventions to keep crowds staring
at something while their sporting occassion broke for yet more adverts
as the folks at home hadn't been advertised at for at least three
minutes and would be entering cold turkey without some more!

There is one exception to this general rule of thumb though... when I
was a little boy a visit to the cinema would provide not just the main
feature but a second film too! It was marvellous! Entire soggy
February afternoons could be whiled away at the pictures with the two
films on display. Marvellous! But today you are in and out in under
two hours having been assaulted on all sides by popcorn and goodness
knows what other overpriced and unnourishing paraphenalia.

Pah!

They call it progress!


> When you get to my age you will enjoy the show.
> The New Zealand rugby union game between Northlands and Otago was one of the
> worst I've ever seen, but the cheerleaders were OK

I am concerned Nigel that you feel the need to look at cheerleaders
when you have your lovely Thai wife to look at now. Couldn't she
cavort before you for your voyeuristic pleasures rather than you have
to steal away under the pretence of watching rugby in order to watch
females of the opposite sex writhing and twisting?

> and I made money by betting on shirt numbers.

You must tell me how you do it. The shirts I place money are numbered
1 to 6 normally but they fail to ever win. Maybe I shoud try and back
the hare.

> The world is in union. Brotherly love and all that sort of stuff.

Yes. Of course. Can't we have Brotherly Love without having to
endure the BrotherHood of man first though?

> > Does the Hay on Wye festival, or the Stratford summer season, or the
> > Bolshoi winter open with a rugby match? 'Course not!!!!
>
> Hay-on-Wye never closes so it doesn't start. There's an excellent fish and
> chip shop there.

Agreed. I got a very interesting maths text there once.


Didds


02 Oct 2003 13:18:40
stumpy
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

In <[email protected] > Ian Diddams wrote:
> "Nigel Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> You've gone very miserable.
>
> I am sorry I disappoint you Nigel. But I have realised at the age of
> 41 that so much of our society is puerile, facile and down right -
> well - pointless.
>
> One buys the smallest thing and it it is wrapped in umpteen layers and
> proudly placed in a bag so you can carry it. That is what I have
> pockets, or a backpack for.
>
> If I buy a toy or a game for my children - perhaps it is chrisrtmas
> and it is a seasonal gesture of kindness from me, their father, to
> them, my offspring... I wouldn't normally spoil themn you understand
> - it is the toy that I am interested in, not the garish packet, or the
> yards of cellophane, or the umpteen mini-gadgets that are totally
> peripheral to the object but which cause the greatest of heartache to
> ones so young when they role underneath the antimacassar from great
> aunty Ethel that hasn't been moved since she passed away in 1957. I
> only want the main toy - not all this claptrap.
>
> Its the same with sport. Once one could get a ticket for a match with
> a kick off at 3 pm and be safe in the knwoeldge that when you got to
> the seat at 2.50 pm one could have a quick sing then the game would
> start. But now you get bullied into your seat eons before the
> kick-off so as to aid "crowd logistics" to then have to suffer a
> cornucopia of banal and intelligence insulting "entertainments" - the
> recent England v France international was preceeded by UB40 would you
> believe "playing" some dirge that apparently was meant to be "Swing
> Low". As my wife opined at the time "I used to like UB40".
>
> Why can't we just have the primary "thing" any longer? Why do we need
> cheerleaders? These were American inventions to keep crowds staring
> at something while their sporting occassion broke for yet more adverts
> as the folks at home hadn't been advertised at for at least three
> minutes and would be entering cold turkey without some more!
>
> There is one exception to this general rule of thumb though... when I
> was a little boy a visit to the cinema would provide not just the main
> feature but a second film too! It was marvellous! Entire soggy
> February afternoons could be whiled away at the pictures with the two
> films on display. Marvellous! But today you are in and out in under
> two hours having been assaulted on all sides by popcorn and goodness
> knows what other overpriced and unnourishing paraphenalia.
>
> Pah!
>
> They call it progress!
>
>
>> When you get to my age you will enjoy the show.
>> The New Zealand rugby union game between Northlands and Otago was one
>> of the worst I've ever seen, but the cheerleaders were OK
>
> I am concerned Nigel that you feel the need to look at cheerleaders
> when you have your lovely Thai wife to look at now. Couldn't she
> cavort before you for your voyeuristic pleasures rather than you have
> to steal away under the pretence of watching rugby in order to watch
> females of the opposite sex writhing and twisting?
>
>> and I made money by betting on shirt numbers.
>
> You must tell me how you do it. The shirts I place money are numbered
> 1 to 6 normally but they fail to ever win. Maybe I shoud try and back
> the hare.
>
>> The world is in union. Brotherly love and all that sort of stuff.
>
> Yes. Of course. Can't we have Brotherly Love without having to
> endure the BrotherHood of man first though?
>
>> > Does the Hay on Wye festival, or the Stratford summer season, or
>> > the Bolshoi winter open with a rugby match? 'Course not!!!!
>>
>> Hay-on-Wye never closes so it doesn't start. There's an excellent
>> fish and chip shop there.
>
> Agreed. I got a very interesting maths text there once.
>
>
All very romantic unless you were brought up there. Dump.
>


02 Oct 2003 18:18:28
The Green Phantom
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

stumpy wrote:

[...]

>>> Hay-on-Wye never closes so it doesn't start. There's an excellent
>>> fish and chip shop there.
>>
>> Agreed. I got a very interesting maths text there once.
>>
>>
> All very romantic unless you were brought up there. Dump.
>>


HAve you thought of using a news client with an editor?

regards

The Green Phantom
--
Q: What is purple and commutes?
A: An Abelian grape.



02 Oct 2003 18:50:54
Nigel Evans
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?


"Ian Diddams" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Nigel Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] >...
>
> > You've gone very miserable.
>
> I am sorry I disappoint you Nigel. But I have realised at the age of
> 41 that so much of our society is puerile, facile and down right -
> well - pointless.

No, I feel the same. At 41 you're just beginning to grow up.

> Why can't we just have the primary "thing" any longer? Why do we need
> cheerleaders? These were American inventions to keep crowds staring
> at something while their sporting occassion broke for yet more adverts
> as the folks at home hadn't been advertised at for at least three
> minutes and would be entering cold turkey without some more!

Because the game went professional and instead of trying to keep its
intelligent supporters it went out and sought the dummies of the world. So,
painted faces, cheerleaders and music.


>
> There is one exception to this general rule of thumb though... when I
> was a little boy a visit to the cinema would provide not just the main
> feature but a second film too! It was marvellous! Entire soggy
> February afternoons could be whiled away at the pictures with the two
> films on display.

My greatgrandmother used to take me when she had her afternoon of from the
pub. ( She owned it. ) I would be taken to a posh cafe and be treated to a
raspberry and ice. Then, the cinema. Always two films. Did you ever go to
the ABC Minors on a Saturday morning. My friend Keith had a birthday every
week. We all sang happy birthday to him and he had a chocolate bar and free
admission for the following week. He started a stamp collecting club in
school so that he could sell stamps. He graduated into carrying a briefcase
which was stuffed with nude pictures. Yes, those were the days.


> > When you get to my age you will enjoy the show.
> > The New Zealand rugby union game between Northlands and Otago was one of
the
> > worst I've ever seen, but the cheerleaders were OK
>
> I am concerned Nigel that you feel the need to look at cheerleaders
> when you have your lovely Thai wife to look at now. Couldn't she
> cavort before you for your voyeuristic pleasures rather than you have
> to steal away under the pretence of watching rugby in order to watch
> females of the opposite sex writhing and twisting?

No, it would frighten the dog.




> > > Does the Hay on Wye festival, or the Stratford summer season, or the
> > > Bolshoi winter open with a rugby match? 'Course not!!!!
> >
> > Hay-on-Wye never closes so it doesn't start. There's an excellent fish
and
> > chip shop there.
>
> Agreed. I got a very interesting maths text there once.

Maths text ? I think you need to find yourself. I found myself in Thailand
one night after I had consumed more than twenty bottles of Klosters. In the
space of an hour, while I was waiting for my friends to turn up, I
meditated, cogitated and discovered the meaning of life. It had nothing to
do with maths texts. You could do with a holiday.




02 Oct 2003 20:02:03
The Green Phantom
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

Nigel Evans wrote:

[...]

>> There is one exception to this general rule of thumb though... when I
>> was a little boy a visit to the cinema would provide not just the main
>> feature but a second film too! It was marvellous! Entire soggy
>> February afternoons could be whiled away at the pictures with the two
>> films on display.
>
> My greatgrandmother used to take me when she had her afternoon of from the
> pub. ( She owned it. ) I would be taken to a posh cafe and be treated to a
> raspberry and ice. Then, the cinema. Always two films. Did you ever go to
> the ABC Minors on a Saturday morning. My friend Keith had a birthday every
> week. We all sang happy birthday to him and he had a chocolate bar and
> free admission for the following week. He started a stamp collecting club
> in school so that he could sell stamps. He graduated into carrying a
> briefcase which was stuffed with nude pictures. Yes, those were the days.

Pahhh! You're a pair of amateurs! I remember when you got not only a main
feature and a B feature (and they were dire too - but watchable if you
weren't old enough to know better) but also the Pathe News (what a big cock
eh?) a cartoon, another short AND the Pearl & Dean section.

Then I discovered rugby.

Been a while since there's been three cinemas in Merthyr eh Nigel?

regards

The Green Phantom

--
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of purge."



01 Oct 2003 16:26:38
Observer
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

He does play

He attends games

His mother was respected by a lot of welsh, English and Australians

He needs some enjoyment away from the restrictions of court

He is young and we need the young!

enough?


"alvey" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Observer wrote:
>
> > Seriously
> >
> > prince Harry
>
> I'd love to read of your reasons.
>
>
>
> alvey
>




07 Oct 2003 08:30:40
Ian Diddams
Re: Who should open the RWC03 Cup?

The Green Phantom <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I remember when you got not only a main
> feature and a B feature (and they were dire too - but watchable if you
> weren't old enough to know better) but also the Pathe News (what a big cock
> eh?) a cartoon, another short

>AND the Pearl & Dean section.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



ba ba ba ba ba ba
bu bu bu
ba ba ba ba ba ba ba baaaaaaaaa

BA!


Didds