26 Sep 2006 04:57:47
Mark (newsgroups)
Currie Cup

Sorry for the on topic post, but I just wanted to point out to the
naysayers that the CC has actually been widely appreciated this year
despite some dire predictions from people concerned about the absence
of the Springboks.

I realise that certain clubs pay big money for popular players because
they're meant to put bums on the seats, but at the end of the day,
rugby is a team sport. It's the game that counts and from what I hear,
the CC this year has had some crackers. It's also a very close finish
and come down to the wire which has probably helped.

I'm not saying this bodes well for next years Super 14 or anything, but
a healthy interest in the sport is needed considering all the other
crap going on in SA rugby at the moment.

26 Sep 2006 05:05:03
Ben L
Re: Currie Cup

Mark (newsgroups) wrote:
> Sorry for the on topic post, but I just wanted to point out to the
> naysayers that the CC has actually been widely appreciated this year
> despite some dire predictions from people concerned about the absence
> of the Springboks.
>
> I realise that certain clubs pay big money for popular players because
> they're meant to put bums on the seats, but at the end of the day,
> rugby is a team sport. It's the game that counts and from what I hear,
> the CC this year has had some crackers. It's also a very close finish
> and come down to the wire which has probably helped.
>
> I'm not saying this bodes well for next years Super 14 or anything, but
> a healthy interest in the sport is needed considering all the other
> crap going on in SA rugby at the moment.

I've seen a few games and the defence hasn't looked too flash in some
of them. I read one SA ex-player or pundit (I can't recall which), who
said that the CC was slightly deceiving as players got much more
space/opportunities than they would at S14 or test level. What are your
thoughts?

26 Sep 2006 05:40:12
Mark (newsgroups)
Re: Currie Cup

Ben L wrote:
> Mark (newsgroups) wrote:
> > Sorry for the on topic post, but I just wanted to point out to the
> > naysayers that the CC has actually been widely appreciated this year
> > despite some dire predictions from people concerned about the absence
> > of the Springboks.
> >
> > I realise that certain clubs pay big money for popular players because
> > they're meant to put bums on the seats, but at the end of the day,
> > rugby is a team sport. It's the game that counts and from what I hear,
> > the CC this year has had some crackers. It's also a very close finish
> > and come down to the wire which has probably helped.
> >
> > I'm not saying this bodes well for next years Super 14 or anything, but
> > a healthy interest in the sport is needed considering all the other
> > crap going on in SA rugby at the moment.
>
> I've seen a few games and the defence hasn't looked too flash in some
> of them. I read one SA ex-player or pundit (I can't recall which), who
> said that the CC was slightly deceiving as players got much more
> space/opportunities than they would at S14 or test level. What are your
> thoughts?

I agree 100% and said so before just a few months ago. It's not even a
new opinion. Virtually every year our teams that place bottom of the
log in Super XX will do reasonably or very well in CC.

While it's an interesting (or depressing depending on your roots) topic
on it's own, it wasn't really the point of my post. I'm not even sure
of the reasons for it. I might be tempted to guess it points to a lack
of decent coaching and development coming into senior levels since our
U19 and U21 teams are always very competitive. But to make that
statement, I'd need a complete understanding of the dynamics of junior
rugby compared to senior rugby, which I don't have, so I won't ;-)

So no, an entertaining CC doesn't make life rosy for South African
rugby, but it does prove that the Springboks being there aren't the be
all and end all. Perhaps I'm wrong though because I haven't seen much
CC, I'm just saying this based on web articles and feedback from
friends who still live in SA.

26 Sep 2006 06:30:00
Ben L
Re: Currie Cup

Mark (newsgroups) wrote:
<snip >
> So no, an entertaining CC doesn't make life rosy for South African
> rugby, but it does prove that the Springboks being there aren't the be
> all and end all. Perhaps I'm wrong though because I haven't seen much
> CC, I'm just saying this based on web articles and feedback from
> friends who still live in SA.

It perhaps also reflects that the Boks are in a bit of a flux at the
moment . Who are really their standout players? - rather like England -
there seem to be several candidates who could potentially be taking the
majority of places in the first team next year.

26 Sep 2006 16:29:38
Mike
Re: Currie Cup

Mark (newsgroups) wrote:
> Sorry for the on topic post, but I just wanted to point out to the
> naysayers that the CC has actually been widely appreciated this year
> despite some dire predictions from people concerned about the absence
> of the Springboks.
>
> I realise that certain clubs pay big money for popular players because
> they're meant to put bums on the seats, but at the end of the day,
> rugby is a team sport. It's the game that counts and from what I hear,
> the CC this year has had some crackers. It's also a very close finish
> and come down to the wire which has probably helped.
>
> I'm not saying this bodes well for next years Super 14 or anything, but
> a healthy interest in the sport is needed considering all the other
> crap going on in SA rugby at the moment.

A local curry house just missed out on a top 10 spot. Finest curry I'd
ever had bar none, bloody judge incompetent.
Mike

27 Sep 2006 19:45:06
Spizz
Re: Currie Cup

"Mark (newsgroups)" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sorry for the on topic post, but I just wanted to point out to the
> naysayers that the CC has actually been widely appreciated this year
> despite some dire predictions from people concerned about the absence
> of the Springboks.
>
> I realise that certain clubs pay big money for popular players because
> they're meant to put bums on the seats, but at the end of the day,
> rugby is a team sport. It's the game that counts and from what I hear,
> the CC this year has had some crackers. It's also a very close finish
> and come down to the wire which has probably helped.
>
> I'm not saying this bodes well for next years Super 14 or anything, but
> a healthy interest in the sport is needed considering all the other
> crap going on in SA rugby at the moment.

It's been fantastic this year, very close and very entertaining. The
closeness of the teams and the see-sawing at the top has brought about a
great final weekend and everyone is talking CC again. No-one is bothered
that the Boks aren't involved and the common understanding is that these are
the guys pushing for S14 and ultimately Bok places. It is accepted the
current Boks must rest and then play S14 and leave the CC to the guys who
played the majority of games before the 3N finished. There are a lot of new
faces in the picture though and this is exactly the conveyer belt that SA
needs to uncover new talent.

The final weekend is coming up and it's all to play for. The amazing thing
is that the Bulls could finish top or 5th and out of a semi final place.
Great stuff.

Spizz

nospam
Re: Currie Cup

Mark (newsgroups) wrote:
> Sorry for the on topic post, but I just wanted to point out to the
> naysayers that the CC has actually been widely appreciated this year
> despite some dire predictions from people concerned about the absence
> of the Springboks.
>
> I realise that certain clubs pay big money for popular players because
> they're meant to put bums on the seats, but at the end of the day,
> rugby is a team sport. It's the game that counts and from what I hear,
> the CC this year has had some crackers. It's also a very close finish
> and come down to the wire which has probably helped.
>
> I'm not saying this bodes well for next years Super 14 or anything, but
> a healthy interest in the sport is needed considering all the other
> crap going on in SA rugby at the moment.

Watching the matches this weekend, (Thanks rassie for sinking the lions
by the way ) it does make good rugby to watch, I think it has been
beneficial for the boks to sit out, allowed young players to step up and
get noticed. I hope Jake make use of the EOYT to bring through some of
the young talent onto the big stage.