31 Oct 2005 21:46:12
The Green Phantom
A Game Of One Half

Stirling County 5 : Glasgow Hawks 48

Two visitors from Wales, MYF, MYF's sister and myself provided a boost
for the visiting supporters to Stirling County's ground on Saturday.

As the scoreline suggests, there didn't appear to be much tension, what
there was came from two sources. One of the vistors was demonstrating
his GPS which, to be fair, took us direct to the correct place in
Stirling - and very politely too. It didn't appear to realise however
that the ground is hidden behind a high railway embankment reached
through a small, narrow tunnel. Fortunately local knowledge took over.

The second source was just a case of wondering if the Hawks would follow
their occasional pattern and fall asleep in the second half with the
game in the bag and the bonus points pocketed during the first.

Custom and practice dictates that liquid refreshment is consumed at the
bar before the game and so it came to pass. The surprise was that the
Stirling bar appeared to be a large hallway almost devoid of members or
visitors. Oh well, no worries at least there was no wait for service.
The next surprise was that a visit to the toilet just prior to kickoff
revealed that the Stirling players share their 'relief' with the bar
toilets. Not that I was intimidated, being a super-hero and all.

The first five minutes of the game gave Stirling an opportunity to
attack Hawks and do their stuff. Unfortunately that was the only time
in the game where they had the opportunity, after that it was one way
trade. Hawks completely dominated the set piece with clean ball at
their own lineout and lots of clean ball at Stirling's. The same story
at the scrums and mauls.

Suffice it to say that their were eight trys in all, four in the first
half and four in the second. Four of them were converted by Mike
Adamson and he was allowed to miss the remainder in the swirling breeze.
MYF was pleased that here personal man of the match, Mark Sitch scored
two and her sister, who developed an immediate crush on Murray Strang
was pleased when he put one down - though not as pleased as when she was
introduced to him after the game. (He revealed that the Hawks always
know when MYF is offering her support but was tactful enough to overlook
the calls of 'you pussy' that he endured last season.)

Coach Wilson was pleased that his team had finally shown the sort of
game that he's been looking for with forwards and backs playing
coherently throughout the game. He made the point that many people had
overlooked the fact that the Hawks had lost eight first team players
this year and that it has been difficult to rebuild the efficiency that
made them two time title holders. Mark Sitch backed this up at the bar
afterwards. For myself I'm delighted that Nick Cox has been such a good
signing for the club. I was equally pleased to see Kenny Sinclair
kitted out on the bench as well. Clearly the broken arm is now a thing
of the past. Ritchie McKnight (thanks for the party invitation) will
have to look sharp now with Monaghan due back soon as well, as will
Biggart. Four quality scrum-halves to pick from. Luxury.

On a final note I'm veryy disappointed to see that rsru has now lost the
services of John Williams who has been posting elegantly, lucidly and
knowledgeably on matters Leicesterish and England since the mid nineties
I believe.

Always polite and knowledgeable he's been an fine example as a fan and a
pundit. It's a shame that when we lose one like John we seem to pull in
half a dozen like {insert name} who are merely jingoistic and obnoxious.

As a final, final note. Welcome back Rick. Hope you enjoyed the break
and return full of spleen, classy invective and AB analysis.

regards

The Green Phantom

01 Nov 2005 08:43:14
didgerman
Re: A Game Of One Half

The Green Phantom wrote:
> Stirling County 5 : Glasgow Hawks 48
>
> Two visitors from Wales, MYF, MYF's sister and myself provided a boost
> for the visiting supporters to Stirling County's ground on Saturday.
>
> As the scoreline suggests, there didn't appear to be much tension, what
> there was came from two sources. One of the vistors was demonstrating
> his GPS which, to be fair, took us direct to the correct place in
> Stirling - and very politely too. It didn't appear to realise however
> that the ground is hidden behind a high railway embankment reached
> through a small, narrow tunnel. Fortunately local knowledge took over.

I bet that thing was running on some version of windows, I can see you
in the back seat, willing it to fail.

> The second source was just a case of wondering if the Hawks would follow
> their occasional pattern and fall asleep in the second half with the
> game in the bag and the bonus points pocketed during the first.

Rude not to.

> Custom and practice dictates that liquid refreshment is consumed at the
> bar before the game and so it came to pass.

Lucky you, all we get at Hughenden is a cup of tea from people who look
like they could tell your fortune from the leaves left in the bottom....

The surprise was that the
> Stirling bar appeared to be a large hallway almost devoid of members or
> visitors. Oh well, no worries at least there was no wait for service.
> The next surprise was that a visit to the toilet just prior to kickoff
> revealed that the Stirling players share their 'relief' with the bar
> toilets. Not that I was intimidated, being a super-hero and all.

Two blokes pissing off the Severn Bridge, one says to the other,
'water's cold innit'. Other guy, not to be outdone says, 'I'm surprised
how deep it is'.
Boom tish.

> The first five minutes of the game gave Stirling an opportunity to
> attack Hawks and do their stuff. Unfortunately that was the only time
> in the game where they had the opportunity, after that it was one way
> trade. Hawks completely dominated the set piece with clean ball at
> their own lineout and lots of clean ball at Stirling's. The same story
> at the scrums and mauls.
>
> Suffice it to say that their were eight trys in all, four in the first
> half and four in the second. Four of them were converted by Mike
> Adamson and he was allowed to miss the remainder in the swirling breeze.
> MYF was pleased that here personal man of the match, Mark Sitch scored
> two and her sister, who developed an immediate crush on Murray Strang
> was pleased when he put one down - though not as pleased as when she was
> introduced to him after the game. (He revealed that the Hawks always
> know when MYF is offering her support but was tactful enough to overlook
> the calls of 'you pussy' that he endured last season.)
>
> Coach Wilson was pleased that his team had finally shown the sort of
> game that he's been looking for with forwards and backs playing
> coherently throughout the game. He made the point that many people had
> overlooked the fact that the Hawks had lost eight first team players
> this year and that it has been difficult to rebuild the efficiency that
> made them two time title holders. Mark Sitch backed this up at the bar
> afterwards. For myself I'm delighted that Nick Cox has been such a good
> signing for the club. I was equally pleased to see Kenny Sinclair
> kitted out on the bench as well. Clearly the broken arm is now a thing
> of the past. Ritchie McKnight (thanks for the party invitation) will
> have to look sharp now with Monaghan due back soon as well, as will
> Biggart. Four quality scrum-halves to pick from. Luxury.

Any Welsh?

> On a final note I'm veryy disappointed to see that rsru has now lost the
> services of John Williams who has been posting elegantly, lucidly and
> knowledgeably on matters Leicesterish and England since the mid nineties
> I believe.
>
> Always polite and knowledgeable he's been an fine example as a fan and a
> pundit. It's a shame that when we lose one like John we seem to pull in
> half a dozen like {insert name} who are merely jingoistic and obnoxious.

A bit odd that, I always thought he was above it all, especially as he
used to start his own threads on games that were already under
discussion....
IIRC he also identified me as a culprit once. Do you think an apology
would bring the old curmudgeon, erm, I mean great man back again?

> As a final, final note. Welcome back Rick. Hope you enjoyed the break
> and return full of spleen, classy invective and AB analysis.

Yes, I'm delighted: thanks to Rick I've managed to remain 'unbeaten'
during my regular Tuesday night badminton thrashing.....