26 Nov 2006 08:29:54
[email protected]
Waterproof radio?

Does anyone have a waterproof radio that they'd recommend? This is for
boat-to-boat communications (while rowing, of course). I'd prefer
something that you can clip onto your clothing and, perhaps, wear a
throat microphone and earphone. It has to be waterproof, as it is
almost guaranteed that it will be dunked every so often.

Thanks,

-Martin

26 Nov 2006 17:56:40
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: Waterproof radio?

[email protected] wrote:
> boat-to-boat communications (while rowing, of course). I'd prefer
> something that you can clip onto your clothing and, perhaps, wear a
> throat microphone and earphone. It has to be waterproof

What I do is get some cheapo walkie-talkie set and tape one of the
units to the stretcher in a waterproof plastic bag. Set the right
channel and let the coach do the talking on the other end.

--
E. Dronkert

26 Nov 2006 12:58:02
Jonny
Re: Waterproof radio?

On Nov 27, 3:29 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected] > wrote:
> Does anyone have a waterproof radio that they'd recommend?

Oregon Scientific make a waterproof UHF radio.

26 Nov 2006 23:30:53
Bob Miller
Re: Waterproof radio?

Have you considered a handheld, compact & waterproof marine VHF radio? May
be a little more expensive than a "walkie talkie" unit but made for an H20
environment.

Bob Miller
[email protected]

26 Nov 2006 19:45:57
Re: Waterproof radio?

[email protected] wrote:
> Does anyone have a waterproof radio that they'd recommend? This is for
> boat-to-boat communications (while rowing, of course). I'd prefer
> something that you can clip onto your clothing and, perhaps, wear a
> throat microphone and earphone. It has to be waterproof, as it is
> almost guaranteed that it will be dunked every so often.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Martin

Have you seen?

http://www.aquapac.net/

Waterproof cases that still allow you to use
the radio/mobile.

Haven't tried them for rowing but seen lot's
of people use them to carry mobiles, GPS,
radios etc while sea kayaking.

Tim Wise

27 Nov 2006 01:58:46
GraemeC
Re: Waterproof radio?

The walkie talkies that I bought recently were rubbish. What makes and
models do people recommend?

On Nov 27, 3:45 am, [email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Does anyone have a waterproof radio that they'd recommend? This is for
> > boat-to-boat communications (while rowing, of course). I'd prefer
> > something that you can clip onto your clothing and, perhaps, wear a
> > throat microphone and earphone. It has to be waterproof, as it is
> > almost guaranteed that it will be dunked every so often.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > -MartinHave you seen?
>
> http://www.aquapac.net/
>
> Waterproof cases that still allow you to use
> the radio/mobile.
>
> Haven't tried them for rowing but seen lot's
> of people use them to carry mobiles, GPS,
> radios etc while sea kayaking.
>
> Tim Wise

27 Nov 2006 09:20:42
[email protected]
Re: Waterproof radio?

> http://www.aquapac.net/

Yes, I have. The ideal solution for me would allow hands-free
operation. You don't want to stop rowing to push a button.

I've actually toyed with the idea of designing such a radio. Here's
what I would think would be useful. The context here isn't just rowing
in an traditional shell. Here are a few of the applications:

Traditional kayaking, where equimo rolls would get the radio wet for
sure.
Sit-on-top kayaking. It can be a very wet environment, particularly
when done in the ocean.
Sailing. Rain and wind are problems. Racing requires a team to
communicate effectively (and privately).
Power boating.
Water skiing, it'd be nice for the skier to be able to talk to the
towing boat.
Water-based rescue.
Fishing (pro and sport)

Features:
- Short range; no need for miles of coverage
- Encrypted channels (for team use, say, sailboat racing)
- Allows multiple radios to be set to the same team or group
- Inherently waterproof
- Throat microphone (best for rejection of extraneous noise)
- Waterproof ear speaker (not in-ear!)
- Ability to mute the microphone (coach is the only voice heard)
- Rechargable batteries
- Small.
- Optional, push-to-talk button that can be worn under a heavy coat
(picture a fisherman)
- Battery replacement in wet conditions
- Quick charge

That's the basics. I've looked, I don't think anything like this
exists. I'd rather buy it than make it. :-)

-Martin

27 Nov 2006 19:53:57
John Mulholland
Re: Waterproof radio?

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Does anyone have a waterproof radio that they'd recommend? This is for
>> boat-to-boat communications (while rowing, of course). I'd prefer
>> something that you can clip onto your clothing and, perhaps, wear a
>> throat microphone and earphone. It has to be waterproof, as it is
>> almost guaranteed that it will be dunked every so often.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Martin
>
> Have you seen?
>
> http://www.aquapac.net/
>
> Waterproof cases that still allow you to use
> the radio/mobile.
>
> Haven't tried them for rowing but seen lot's
> of people use them to carry mobiles, GPS,
> radios etc while sea kayaking.
>
> Tim Wise

I used one, but didn't notice when it developed a small leak; still, the new
phone is much nicer than the old one!

--
John Mulholland

27 Nov 2006 14:02:08
Re: Waterproof radio?

John Mulholland wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> Does anyone have a waterproof radio that they'd recommend? This is for
> >> boat-to-boat communications (while rowing, of course). I'd prefer
> >> something that you can clip onto your clothing and, perhaps, wear a
> >> throat microphone and earphone. It has to be waterproof, as it is
> >> almost guaranteed that it will be dunked every so often.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> -Martin
> >
> > Have you seen?
> >
> > http://www.aquapac.net/
> >
> > Waterproof cases that still allow you to use
> > the radio/mobile.
> >
> > Haven't tried them for rowing but seen lot's
> > of people use them to carry mobiles, GPS,
> > radios etc while sea kayaking.
> >
> > Tim Wise
> >

> I used one, but didn't notice when it developed a small leak; still, the new
> phone is much nicer than the old one!
>
> --
> John Mulholland

Do you think the product was deficient (for leaking) or did
it just wear out over time?

Tim Wise

28 Nov 2006 22:51:13
John Mulholland
Re: Waterproof radio?

--
John Mulholland
<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> John Mulholland wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>> > Have you seen?
>> >
>> > http://www.aquapac.net/
>> >
>> > Waterproof cases that still allow you to use
>> > the radio/mobile.
>> >
>> > Haven't tried them for rowing but seen lot's
>> > of people use them to carry mobiles, GPS,
>> > radios etc while sea kayaking.
>> >
>> > Tim Wise
>> >

>> I used one, but didn't notice when it developed a small leak; still, the
>> new
>> phone is much nicer than the old one!
>>
>> --
>> John Mulholland
>
> Do you think the product was deficient (for leaking) or did
> it just wear out over time?
>
> Tim Wise

Mea Culpa, I think. It was fine for several months; I think I crammed it
into my kit-bag with too many tools. The split was very small and I didn't
spot it until I realised that the case had filled with water having been in
the bottom of the boat on a very rough outing. I'm going to get another one
as soon as I can find one the same size. BTW I could use the phone in the
case; as long as I had the keypad on the clear side of the case.

--
John Mulholland