25 Jun 2004 13:13:44
Kevin Strickland
Subscriptions

Hi everybody
Could I get a feel for how different clubs from around the globe charge
their rowers in membership fees.
Do you have different levels i.e Senior Competitive, Junior, Novice or 1st
year, Masters, recreational or school .
Whether it is in pounds euros US $ or Aust doesnt matter.

thanks
Kevin

25 Jun 2004 14:46:30
Sarah
Re: Subscriptions

The town clubs in Cambridge (UK) charge around 180 pounds for senior
members, a little less for students (about 120) and juniors (about
100) and 50-ish for coxes. I haven't come across a different rate for
Masters or Rec, though most clubs have a social membership which is
about 20-40 pounds.

Some also have one-off joining fees (about 25 pounds).

The college clubs vary a lot more - many are completely free to
college members.

26 Jun 2004 14:00:52
Randal Lawrence
Re: Subscriptions

In article <b%[email protected] >,
"Kevin Strickland" <[email protected] > wrote:

> Hi everybody
> Could I get a feel for how different clubs from around the globe charge
> their rowers in membership fees.
> Do you have different levels i.e Senior Competitive, Junior, Novice or 1st
> year, Masters, recreational or school .
> Whether it is in pounds euros US $ or Aust doesnt matter.
>
> thanks
> Kevin

Canberra Rowing Club (Australia) charges AUS$300 for senior membership
(over 18yo); AUS$200 for student/junior; and AUS$40 for associate
(usually coxes and coaches). We don't receive funding from an associated
social club like some clubs do.

These rates are representative for Canberra clubs.

Clubs in Sydney vary widely I believe, with some charging masters rowers
more (up to about AUS$500), but charge elite rowers significantly less.

A problem with comparing membership subscriptions out-of-area is that
the cost structure varies. Sydney is significantly more expensive than
Canberra to run a club (and we have much better water etc).

Other questions to ask is what does the club provide for the money, eg
is coaching included, are rack fees charged for privately owned boats
(we don't), what standard are the club-owned boats? We have been looking
at this recently at our club and it is pretty interesting when you try
to measure value for money. It depends what you are looking for from
your club of course.

Someone might like to come up with an evaluation template. I would be
happy to put my club's stats into some genuine effort.

Cheers,
Randal

01 Jul 2004 04:53:49
Brian Chapman
Re: Subscriptions

Randal Lawrence <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]au>...
> In article <b%[email protected]>,
> "Kevin Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody
> > Could I get a feel for how different clubs from around the globe charge
> > their rowers in membership fees.
> > Do you have different levels i.e Senior Competitive, Junior, Novice or 1st
> > year, Masters, recreational or school .
> > Whether it is in pounds euros US $ or Aust doesnt matter.
> >
> > thanks
> > Kevin
> >

> Canberra Rowing Club (Australia) charges AUS$300 for senior membership
> (over 18yo); AUS$200 for student/junior; and AUS$40 for associate
> (usually coxes and coaches). We don't receive funding from an associated
> social club like some clubs do.
>
> These rates are representative for Canberra clubs.
>
> Clubs in Sydney vary widely I believe, with some charging masters rowers
> more (up to about AUS$500), but charge elite rowers significantly less.
>
> A problem with comparing membership subscriptions out-of-area is that
> the cost structure varies. Sydney is significantly more expensive than
> Canberra to run a club (and we have much better water etc).
>
> Other questions to ask is what does the club provide for the money, eg
> is coaching included, are rack fees charged for privately owned boats
> (we don't), what standard are the club-owned boats? We have been looking
> at this recently at our club and it is pretty interesting when you try
> to measure value for money. It depends what you are looking for from
> your club of course.
>
> Someone might like to come up with an evaluation template. I would be
> happy to put my club's stats into some genuine effort.
>

> Cheers,
> Randal

My club is in the NW of England and we charge GBP 220 for senior
rowers and half that for students. We do not charge racking fees.
Coaches and Coxes do not pay subs, but are expected to be members of
our association so they are insured when on the water.

Over the years we have built up our stock of boats and could probably
get the whole club on the water at the same time. We don't run to
Empachers but buy good, competitive club boats from UK builders such
as Sims and Janousek. We made a decision some years ago to set our
subscriptions at a level high enough to run the Club without being on
a continuous treadmill of fundraising. When we get sponsorship deals
it all goes to extra equipment as does the bar profit.

cheers

Brian