16 Feb 2007 23:19:21
Bob Miller
Rower rescued from Lake Whatcom in Washington state, US

Hi all,

King 5 news in Seattle, Washington, US is reporting tonight that a rower
(they said kayaker, but the shot of the empty boat looked like a Maas 24
- http://www.maasboats.com/maas24.htm- with carbon hatchets) was
rescued today from Lake Whatcom near Bellingham, Washington, US
(http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=&ie=UTF8&z=11&ll=48.725397,-122.34375&spn=0.18073,0.466919&om=1).
See the story and a link to video at
http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_021607WABkayakerEL.7fc96cc.html.

The rower was wearing a life jacket (looked like it was an inflatable)
that possibly saved his life, helping him remain afloat in the frigid
water until workers at lakeside grabbed a canoe to effect a rescue.

Bob Miller
[email protected]


17 Feb 2007 00:40:08
[email protected]
Re: Rower rescued from Lake Whatcom in Washington state, US

> (they said kayaker, but the shot of the empty boat looked like a Maas 24

If you are refering to the white boat next to the canoe in the video,
that is clearly a kayak. You can see the adjustable foot rest rails.

Another nominee for the Darwin award. Wearing a sweatshirt and
sweatpants to go rowing in freezing water. He put no less than three
people in danger to rescue him. They were ill-equipped too, but
risked their lives to save his.

What do you want to be that this guy never practiced self-rescue re-
entry? That's the sort of thing that Mike was saying about kayaking,
it can be deceivingly simple and most people don't think or bother to
think about the "what if's".

At least he had a PFD. Notice how he couldn't walk? He would have
drowned way before they got to him if it hadn't been for the PFD.

-Martin



17 Feb 2007 03:47:11
J Flory
Re: Rower rescued from Lake Whatcom in Washington state, US

Couldn't see PFD's on the guys in the canoe. Looks like they really
put themselves on the line for this guy. They seemed skilled in
canoeing (taking someone in over the side doesn't seem easy), but
still...

One does wish the news people could get rowing and paddling
straightened out. You don't "row" a canoe (at least not without a
special drop-in rig). Don't these people speak English?



17 Feb 2007 07:45:16
Re: Rower rescued from Lake Whatcom in Washington state, US

On Feb 17, 4:47 am, "J Flory" <[email protected] > wrote:
> Couldn't see PFD's on the guys in the canoe. Looks like they really
> put themselves on the line for this guy. They seemed skilled in
> canoeing (taking someone in over the side doesn't seem easy), but
> still...
>
> One does wish the news people could get rowing and paddling
> straightened out. You don't "row" a canoe (at least not without a
> special drop-in rig). Don't these people speak English?



>From watching the video it looks like someone is practicing rescue, as
indicated by the swimmer with a line to shore and tow-float. Then it
switches to the guy in the water and the boys in the canoe. The guy
was moving his arms but apparently not even attempting to go in the
direction of the shore, which seems strange.

I don't think the rescuee's craft is ever shown in the video as it
looks as if the guy in the red PFD arrived in the white kayak.

Any more blind folks want to describe the Elephant?

- Paul Smith



17 Feb 2007 09:24:23
[email protected]
Re: Rower rescued from Lake Whatcom in Washington state, US

> I don't think the rescuee's craft is ever shown in the video as it
> looks as if the guy in the red PFD arrived in the white kayak.

I assumed that the white kayak belonged to the rocket surgeon. You
think there was a second boat involved in rescuing this fellow? Bob
mentioned that a boat somewhere in the shot looked like a Maas 24.
You can only see two boats in that video.

-M



18 Feb 2007 18:58:37
Bob Miller
Re: Rower rescued from Lake Whatcom in Washington state, US

Sorry all, it didn't occur to me that the raw footage posted on the web
wouldn't include all the shots that were in the edited newscast. I had a
digital video recorder going and had paused on the overhead shot of the
shell for several minutes while I pulled up pictures on the web to
determine what it was.

I believe the white kayak beonged to the third rescuer who showed up
while one of the canoeists ran to get blankets. I don't know what the
initial shot of the roped swimmer was unless

I'll try to get the newscast off the DVR and onto my PC.

Bob Miller
[email protected]


> Hi all,
>
> King 5 news in Seattle, Washington, US is reporting tonight that a
> rower (they said kayaker, but the shot of the empty boat looked like a
> Maas 24 - http://www.maasboats.com/maas24.htm- with carbon hatchets)
> was rescued today from Lake Whatcom near Bellingham, Washington, US
> (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=&ie=UTF8&z=11&ll=48.725397,-
122.34
> 375&spn=0.18073,0.466919&om=1). See the story and a link to video at
> http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_
021607WABkayakerEL.7fc96cc.ht
> ml.
>
> The rower was wearing a life jacket (looked like it was an inflatable)
> that possibly saved his life, helping him remain afloat in the frigid
> water until workers at lakeside grabbed a canoe to effect a rescue.
>
> Bob Miller
> [email protected]
>