30 Oct 2006 19:16:59
Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place

What happended to the Columbia University Men's boat at the Princeton
Chase? Go to the following site to see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcA4TAWkBBE



30 Oct 2006 21:21:14
Jonny
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place

[email protected] wrote:
> What happended to the Columbia University Men's boat at the Princeton
> Chase? Go to the following site to see:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcA4TAWkBBE

That is pretty bad. A near miss on another crew and perhaps also an
officials boat or a bridge pier. Then they seemed to miss two buoys on
the course (I'm presuming they should have passed to starboard of the
big red balls).

Did they lose their fin/skeg or can we blame 'operator error'. I don't
think the cross wind would have played that much of a factor.

Someone might need to tell the cox that 'ess rudder more often might
work better.



30 Oct 2006 21:25:55
Mike Sullivan
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place


<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> What happended to the Columbia University Men's boat at the Princeton
> Chase? Go to the following site to see:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcA4TAWkBBE
>

well for one, they don't know how to hold water!

Ed, take care of that!




31 Oct 2006 00:01:56
Jonny
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place



On Oct 31, 4:25 pm, "Mike Sullivan"

> well for one, they don't know how to hold water!

ROFLOL



31 Oct 2006 10:09:05
mpruscoe
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place

Mike Sullivan wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> What happended to the Columbia University Men's boat at the Princeton
>> Chase? Go to the following site to see:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcA4TAWkBBE
>>
>
> well for one, they don't know how to hold water!

6 does.


31 Oct 2006 03:04:07
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place


Jonny wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > What happended to the Columbia University Men's boat at the Princeton
> > Chase? Go to the following site to see:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcA4TAWkBBE
>
> That is pretty bad. A near miss on another crew and perhaps also an
> officials boat or a bridge pier. Then they seemed to miss two buoys on
> the course (I'm presuming they should have passed to starboard of the
> big red balls).
>
> Did they lose their fin/skeg or can we blame 'operator error'. I don't
> think the cross wind would have played that much of a factor.
>
> Someone might need to tell the cox that 'ess rudder more often might
> work better.

I assume they lost their fin.

The funny thing IMO is that the crew behind them tracks them all the
way down. Obviously an inexperienced cox who was told "Columbia -
they'll know what they're doing. Just go wherever they go."



31 Oct 2006 08:02:48
JD
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place


[email protected] wrote:
> What happended to the Columbia University Men's boat at the Princeton
> Chase? Go to the following site to see:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcA4TAWkBBE

Funny, but it used to be that when your crew screwed up, it was
confined to the regatta, which is bad enough. Now with youtube and a
host of digital video cameras, the entire rowing world sees this.

JD



31 Oct 2006 10:08:41
J Flory
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place


JD wrote:
>
> Funny, but it used to be that when your crew screwed up, it was
> confined to the regatta, which is bad enough. Now with youtube and a
> host of digital video cameras, the entire rowing world sees this.
>
> JD

Yup. In the 2002 Head of the Charles when I steered our borrowed 2x
into the bridge (scuse me, "when the bridge hit us") I was SO pleased
that neither our friends nor our coach saw it, and it was not caught on
film. The only evidence was a severely bent rigger and a shattered ego.



31 Oct 2006 11:11:27
Mike Sullivan
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place


"JD" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> [email protected] wrote:
>> What happended to the Columbia University Men's boat at the Princeton
>> Chase? Go to the following site to see:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcA4TAWkBBE
>
> Funny, but it used to be that when your crew screwed up, it was
> confined to the regatta, which is bad enough. Now with youtube and a
> host of digital video cameras, the entire rowing world sees this.

So you think we're outta the woods, huh?

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~sul/uci1972/LaBomba%20highres.pdf

:^)




31 Oct 2006 16:19:37
Taniwha
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place


mpruscoe wrote:
> Mike Sullivan wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> What happended to the Columbia University Men's boat at the Princeton
> >> Chase? Go to the following site to see:
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcA4TAWkBBE
> >>
> >
> > well for one, they don't know how to hold water!
>
> 6 does.

If you look at the timing it shows that the shell turned away when 6's
blade dug in. Shows the efficiency of this method of stopping. It looks
like 6's action saved a prang.

Taniwha



01 Nov 2006 20:33:27
John Mulholland
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place

"Taniwha" <[email protected] > wrote in message
<snip >
> If you look at the timing it shows that the shell turned away when 6's
> blade dug in. Shows the efficiency of this method of stopping. It looks
> like 6's action saved a prang.
>
> Taniwha
>

but the speed of the turn seems to confirm that their fin was missing.

--
John Mulholland




01 Nov 2006 23:08:50
Taniwha
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place


John Mulholland wrote:
> "Taniwha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > If you look at the timing it shows that the shell turned away when 6's
> > blade dug in. Shows the efficiency of this method of stopping. It looks
> > like 6's action saved a prang.
> >
> > Taniwha
> >
>
> but the speed of the turn seems to confirm that their fin was missing.
>
> --
> John Mulholland

Could be. I was just comparing before and after 6's blade going in. The
rest were trying to stop and/or turn by using the bottom edge. When 6's
blade went in the boat reacted quickly. More quickly because it didn't
have a fin? Don't know.

Taniwha



02 Nov 2006 12:31:09
Carl
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place

Taniwha wrote:
> John Mulholland wrote:
>
>>"Taniwha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>><snip>
>>
>>>If you look at the timing it shows that the shell turned away when 6's
>>>blade dug in. Shows the efficiency of this method of stopping. It looks
>>>like 6's action saved a prang.
>>>
>>>Taniwha
>>>
>>
>>but the speed of the turn seems to confirm that their fin was missing.
>>
>>--
>>John Mulholland
>
>
> Could be. I was just comparing before and after 6's blade going in. The
> rest were trying to stop and/or turn by using the bottom edge. When 6's
> blade went in the boat reacted quickly. More quickly because it didn't
> have a fin? Don't know.
>
> Taniwha
>

Yes, a great demonstration of the effectiveness of the reverse feather
as a braking mechanism & the relative uselessness of skidding teh backs
of blades to slow a boat. Perhaps the cause was as simple as the
steering wires having come adrift?

Once an eight starts to yaw off course without a working rudder, it may
just keep rapidly swinging until you give it a correcting input. That
makes it a real beast for 8 rowers, mostly with no experience of
steering, to keep it pointing the right way

Cheers -
Carl

--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: The Boathouse, Timsway, Chertsey Lane, Staines TW18 3JY, UK
Email: [email protected] Tel: +44(0)1784-456344 Fax: -466550
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)


02 Nov 2006 15:07:42
Taniwha
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place


Carl wrote:
>
> Yes, a great demonstration of the effectiveness of the reverse feather
> as a braking mechanism & the relative uselessness of skidding teh backs
> of blades to slow a boat. Perhaps the cause was as simple as the
> steering wires having come adrift?
>
> Once an eight starts to yaw off course without a working rudder, it may
> just keep rapidly swinging until you give it a correcting input. That
> makes it a real beast for 8 rowers, mostly with no experience of
> steering, to keep it pointing the right way
>
> Cheers -
> Carl
>
> --
> Carl Douglas Racing Shells -

I soon learnt to straighten the rudder about 5 degrees before the bow
pointed to the required line. I'm sure I could see a curve in the boat
as it turned. (Having 95kgs perched on a bucket on the cox's seat
(couldn't get the bum in) and old wooden boats from 1978 would have
created optical illusions, maybe?)

Another trick is coxes swapping boats and not realising the wires are
crossed in one and not in the other. The boat starts the wrong way and
panic sets in. Just pull harder! But it's turning further the wrong
way. Pull harder! Crash!

Taniwha



03 Nov 2006 10:28:25
Edd
Re: Princeton Chase - Columbia Men's boat is all over the place

Taniwha <[email protected] > wrote:
> Another trick is coxes swapping boats and not realising the wires are
> crossed in one and not in the other. The boat starts the wrong way and
> panic sets in. Just pull harder! But it's turning further the wrong
> way. Pull harder! Crash!

I've known people rewire a boat without letting everyone else know. If
it's not obvious from looking I always check before going anywhere in
a boat, whether it's one I usually use or not.

--
Edd