21 Dec 2005 10:59:12
Neil Wallace
Michael Ruhe - Testicular Cancer

From the FISA site.

http://www.worldrowing.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=286778&itype=

Interview with the Strokeman of the German Olympic 8+ Michael Ruhe.
Diagnosed with testicular cancer earlier this year, and hopefully on the way
to full recovery.

He's only 25 years old.
Very Brave of him to speak so openly about this. A must read for every man.

21 Dec 2005 13:12:03
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: Michael Ruhe - Testicular Cancer

"Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer(nospamplease)@virgin.net > wrote:
> http://www.worldrowing.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=286778&itype=
> Very Brave of him to speak so openly about this.

Is it really still a taboo, even after Lance Armstrong?

--
E. Dronkert

21 Dec 2005 15:28:51
Neil Wallace

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> "Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer(nospamplease)@virgin.net> wrote:
>> http://www.worldrowing.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=286778&itype=
>> Very Brave of him to speak so openly about this.
>
> Is it really still a taboo, even after Lance Armstrong?

You're right in that Lance Armstrong has probably made it easier.
Still to put on record a statement such as
There is nothing unusual about an athlete ignoring pain so it is only in
retrospect that Ruhe can appreciate the signs. "One week before (diagnosis)
I could feel something hard in my testicles, but I couldn't think what it
could be. "

Is pretty brave IMO. Is that just my British perspective? Perhaps you Dutch
guys speak about your wedding tackle less candidly?

21 Dec 2005 10:44:42
bill

Neil Wallace (nospamplease) wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> > "Neil Wallace" <rowing.golfer(nospamplease)@virgin.net> wrote:
> >> http://www.worldrowing.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=286778&itype=
> >> Very Brave of him to speak so openly about this.
> >
> > Is it really still a taboo, even after Lance Armstrong?
>

> You're right in that Lance Armstrong has probably made it easier.
> Still to put on record a statement such as
> There is nothing unusual about an athlete ignoring pain so it is only in
> retrospect that Ruhe can appreciate the signs. "One week before (diagnosis)
> I could feel something hard in my testicles, but I couldn't think what it
> could be. "
>
> Is pretty brave IMO. Is that just my British perspective? Perhaps you Dutch
> guys speak about your wedding tackle less candidly?

We speak very candidly about our fishing tackle on this side of the
pond:-)

23 Dec 2005 14:26:57
Neil Wallace

bill wrote:
> Neil Wallace (nospamplease) wrote:
>> Is pretty brave IMO. Is that just my British perspective? Perhaps
>> you Dutch guys speak about your wedding tackle less candidly?
>
> We speak very candidly about our fishing tackle on this side of the
> pond:-)

Never heard it called that before. Seems fitting enough though.