13 Feb 2007 18:13:27
[email protected]
How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?

What are some other good starts?

And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
then my avg for the 2k.

I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)

Thanks for the Help.

Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k

Sorry again for all the questions

14 Feb 2007 03:37:10
Stelph
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

Im assuming that you are a single sculler then! :-)

Regarding the start, it seems to depend on the type of rower you are
what is the best start. Differnet people have different techniques,
being it

3/4 1/2 1/2 3/4 and lengthen or

1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 etc......

I think the best way to think about it is if you compare it to
running, if you are at a standstill and start to run then the best way
to accelerate quickly is to take little steps! However rowing is more
complicated as you have to think about not "tearing" the balde through
the water etc.

Good technique is very important throughout the storke, theres no
point in rating 50+ off the start if you are thrashing the water! Try
doing some 3/4 pressure or 1/2 pressure starts and work on your
technique. Everyone has their own opions about what worsk the best,
the best thing to do is to either do some starts against an opponent
or using a speedcoach.

I dont know if this applies to everyone else but I generally find that
I am working near flat out all the way down the race, and doing power
10's (i.e. focusing on putting more power down) would actually break
me in half!

What I tend to focus on is technique instead. At every 500m mentally
think about relaxing and then take 10 strokes focusing on just getting
the blades in at the catch that fraction quicker, or getting my hands
away that fraction quicker, or pressing my legs down a fraction
quicker... (you get the idea). You "should" notice that you pick up
speed from this and unlike a "power 10" you should be able to maintain
this rather than easing back at the end of the ten.

For the finish, i always crank the rating up, maybe even shorten my
stroke for a stroke or two to "bounce" the rate up! It always drives
me nuts to see scullers in a close race and neither of them are rating
any higher in the last 250m or so despite ther being only 1/2 length
in it! Take the rating up, if you do shorten a bit then unleash all
the power you have left and you will notice a difference in speed, you
wont be able to maintain it but if you time it right then you'll run
out of energy as you cross the line.

Hope this helps!

14 Feb 2007 23:25:38
Nick Suess
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

"Stelph" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Im assuming that you are a single sculler then! :-)

No. Wrong. Read the question. He's writing about an erg, not a boat. So the
correct answer is "who gives a f--k?"

14 Feb 2007 07:29:22

On 14 Feb, 14:25, "Nick Suess" <[email protected] > wrote:
> "Stelph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>
> > Im assuming that you are a single sculler then! :-)
>
> No. Wrong. Read the question. He's writing about an erg, not a boat. So the
> correct answer is "who gives a f--k?"

Nuts, and i was so proud of my answer damnit....

14 Feb 2007 11:12:02
KC

Stelph wrote:
> On 14 Feb, 14:25, "Nick Suess" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Stelph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>>> Im assuming that you are a single sculler then! :-)
>> No. Wrong. Read the question. He's writing about an erg, not a boat. So the
>> correct answer is "who gives a f--k?"
>
> Nuts, and i was so proud of my answer damnit....

Still good info for the guy though.

14 Feb 2007 11:20:35
KC

[email protected] wrote:
> I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
> that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
> Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?

Not in my opinion. See my response to your last thread. Do what's
necessary to get to your target split ASAP then settle into it and hold
it. This is mechanically and physiologically the most efficient way to
tackle a 2k erg piece. If you mentally/psychologically need to break up
the piece with 10's and such, fine, that's your own business, but
physiologically it's a waste of energy.

For your next erg test, try this: take your most recent best 2k erg
time. Subtract 1 or 2 seconds to get your new target time. Divide that
by four to get your target 500m split. Now, go out and hit that split
ASAP and just hang steady RIGHT on target for the whole piece. Try to
sprint the last 150~200m (or sooner) if you have anything left.

Congrats, you will have just beat your PR by at least 1~2 seconds.

One caveat, that I forgot about in my other post: You will need to take
a few strokes below your target split at the start to get your AVERAGE
split down to your target. So, I was really thinking of doing a 2k erg
test with the AVERAGE 500m split displayed. Then get the avg. split to
your target ASAP, and everything else I've said still applies.

-Kieran

> What are some other good starts?
>
> And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
> for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
> then my avg for the 2k.
>
> I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
> and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)
>

> Thanks for the Help.
>

> Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k
>

> Sorry again for all the questions

14 Feb 2007 08:20:30
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

On Feb 13, 9:13 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
> that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
> Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?
>
> What are some other good starts?
>
> And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
> for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
> then my avg for the 2k.
>
> I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
> and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)
>
> Thanks for the Help.
>
> Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k
>
> Sorry again for all the questions

My advice for ergs.......

Its all about lactate control.

If you want to do 6.40 which averages 1.35, then you want to not go
lower than 1.32 off the start and be at 1.34/35 by the 12th stroke.
This will feel easy. Don't drop the rate, just adjust the power. If
you go off at 1.32 you will finish at 1.45

Dead even split through 1700 and then sprint

If you push hard because you feel good in the first 1000 you won't
finish.....first 500 should feel easy

14 Feb 2007 11:53:38
KC

[email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 13, 9:13 pm, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
>> that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
>> Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?
>>
>> What are some other good starts?
>>
>> And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
>> for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
>> then my avg for the 2k.
>>
>> I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
>> should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
>> and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)
>>
>> Thanks for the Help.
>>
>> Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k
>>
>> Sorry again for all the questions
>
> My advice for ergs.......
>
> Its all about lactate control.
>
> If you want to do 6.40 which averages 1.35, then you want to not go

6:40 = 1:40 split, 1:35 = 6:20, but I nitpick.

-KC

> lower than 1.32 off the start and be at 1.34/35 by the 12th stroke.
> This will feel easy. Don't drop the rate, just adjust the power. If
> you go off at 1.32 you will finish at 1.45
>
> Dead even split through 1700 and then sprint
>
> If you push hard because you feel good in the first 1000 you won't
> finish.....first 500 should feel easy

14 Feb 2007 10:06:26
Charles Carroll
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

> Still good info for the guy though.

And for me!

14 Feb 2007 12:28:59
[email protected]

On Feb 14, 11:20 am, KC <[email protected] > wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
> > that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
> > Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?
>
> Not in my opinion. See my response to your last thread. Do what's
> necessary to get to your target split ASAP then settle into it and hold
> it. This is mechanically and physiologically the most efficient way to
> tackle a 2k erg piece. If you mentally/psychologically need to break up
> the piece with 10's and such, fine, that's your own business, but
> physiologically it's a waste of energy.
>
> For your next erg test, try this: take your most recent best 2k erg
> time. Subtract 1 or 2 seconds to get your new target time. Divide that
> by four to get your target 500m split. Now, go out and hit that split
> ASAP and just hang steady RIGHT on target for the whole piece. Try to
> sprint the last 150~200m (or sooner) if you have anything left.
>
> Congrats, you will have just beat your PR by at least 1~2 seconds.
>
> One caveat, that I forgot about in my other post: You will need to take
> a few strokes below your target split at the start to get your AVERAGE
> split down to your target. So, I was really thinking of doing a 2k erg
> test with the AVERAGE 500m split displayed. Then get the avg. split to
> your target ASAP, and everything else I've said still applies.
>
> -Kieran
>
> > What are some other good starts?
>
> > And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
> > for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
> > then my avg for the 2k.
>
> > I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> > should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
> > and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)
>
> > Thanks for the Help.
>
> > Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k
>
> > Sorry again for all the questions

Thanks for the Great Information
I will Definitely use this next time.
Sorry I didn't clarify that it was for the Erg, (Too cold for the
water still)

14 Feb 2007 16:42:12

On Feb 14, 11:53 am, KC <[email protected] > wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Feb 13, 9:13 pm, "[email protected]"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
> >> that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
> >> Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?
>
> >> What are some other good starts?
>
> >> And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
> >> for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
> >> then my avg for the 2k.
>
> >> I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> >> should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
> >> and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)
>
> >> Thanks for the Help.
>
> >> Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k
>
> >> Sorry again for all the questions
>
> > My advice for ergs.......
>
> > Its all about lactate control.
>
> > If you want to do 6.40 which averages 1.35, then you want to not go
>
> 6:40 = 1:40 split, 1:35 = 6:20, but I nitpick.
>
> -KC
>

> > lower than 1.32 off the start and be at 1.34/35 by the 12th stroke.
> > This will feel easy. Don't drop the rate, just adjust the power. If
> > you go off at 1.32 you will finish at 1.45
>
> > Dead even split through 1700 and then sprint
>
> > If you push hard because you feel good in the first 1000 you won't
> > finish.....first 500 should feel easy- Hide quoted text -

Correct you are....been on the side lines too long...

But i believe we think alike....

Most annoying thing is when people say I was going so well at
1000.......

dead even split and you got it about right.....

14 Feb 2007 16:46:31
bookie
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

> I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,

if you really want to confuse the rowers next to you maybe you should
consider racing totally naked except for a huge false ginger beard and
a policeman's helmet on your head. If this doesn't work try balancing
a root vegetable of your choice on either shoulder as well.

regards, Bookie

15 Feb 2007 11:30:09
Nick Suess
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

<[email protected] > wrote in message

> If you push hard because you feel good in the first 1000 you won't
> finish.....

But far better to follow my considered advice for ergs, which is "Don't
start!"

15 Feb 2007 08:57:42
Henry Law

[email protected] wrote:
> finish.....first 500 should feel easy

That's a good time to stop, then.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

15 Feb 2007 04:33:08
Pete
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

On 14 Feb, 02:13, "[email protected]"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
> that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
> Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?

More than I'd do. Full stroke starts will work fine and let you get
into a rhythm early, if you start at maybe 3/4 slide and keep it
slightly shorter for a couple of strokes (like you would in a boat)
you'll be a bit quicker away and gain maybe 0.5s overall. But that's
not all that much. Only really important thing: don't hammer it for 15
strokes then blow up.

> And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
> for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
> then my avg for the 2k.

Pull harder earlier on then. You want to have fairly even splits.

> I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
> and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)

Not clever, you'll just break your own rhythm and the rowers next to
you will ignore it. And you do not want to be rating anything like as
low as 23 in a 2k, even if you're only pulling 1:48s. If your legs
'need a break' then you need to rate higher the whole time. Try
sitting on 28 all the way (and bear in mind that most senior athletes
would never dream of rating that low for a 2k, but then most senior
athletes would also go a fair bit quicker).

Pete

17 Feb 2007 23:07:58
Anne Rogers
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

>I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
> that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
> Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?

it will work, though I may be inclined to settle after five, not 10, slide
length wise, for the erg it's just what gets you going, you've not got the
issue you have in a boat of not wanting to slow the boat down on the 2nd and
3rd stroke, so in a boat you almost always need to have the 2nd stroke
shorter than the first.

> And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
> for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
> then my avg for the 2k.

that's about the right time to go for it, you'll need to do multiple tests
to get a good idea of when you can go for it, if you've been working hard
enough the rest of the time, you may find 200m is too soon, you may only be
able to up it for 3 or 4 strokes if you've been at a a substainable, but
only just kind of level.

> I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
> and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)
> Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k

those rates sound too slow to me for a 2k test, for some people who are
strong, but not very aerobically fit, that may be the was to get the best
performance, but if you're more even in your fitness, it's unlikely to get
the best result for you. Particularly as you are saying you want to give
you're legs a break, you need to pick a rate that you can substain from an
aerobic point of view throughout and if that's 28, then so be it, but the
best 2k times are with much higher rates than that. Power or Quick 10s and
what not are really more psychological than anything else, but my personal
preference would be to pick a technique goal at every minute, so you keep
going at the same pace, but for a minute you think about a particular part
of the stroke and so on, so you are focusing on something helpful, hopefully
by improving an area of technique, say quick catches, you actually make
you're target split slightly easier to maintain.

From what I've been reading it sounds like you could be knocking this PB
down by quite a chunk, you might want to do some 500m practice pieces, to
see what you can do and use those times as a baseline for what you're aiming
for on the 2k, I seem to recall some advise about how much to add to a 500m
PB to get the split to aim for for the 2k, but I can't remember what it is!
Kieran is being a bit conservative with amount of time to knock off, I'm
sure you can go under 7mins next test, possibly lower still.

Cheers

Anne

18 Feb 2007 08:05:25
[email protected]

On Feb 18, 2:07 am, "Anne Rogers" <[email protected] > wrote:
> >I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
> > that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
> > Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?
>
> it will work, though I may be inclined to settle after five, not 10, slide
> length wise, for the erg it's just what gets you going, you've not got the
> issue you have in a boat of not wanting to slow the boat down on the 2nd and
> 3rd stroke, so in a boat you almost always need to have the 2nd stroke
> shorter than the first.
>
> > And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
> > for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
> > then my avg for the 2k.
>
> that's about the right time to go for it, you'll need to do
multiple tests
> to get a good idea of when you can go for it, if you've been
working hard
> enough the rest of the time, you may find 200m is too soon, you may only be
> able to up it for 3 or 4 strokes if you've been at a a substainable, but
> only just kind of level.
>

> > I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> > should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
> > and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)
> > Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k
>
> those rates sound too slow to me for a 2k test, for some people who are
> strong, but not very aerobically fit, that may be the was to get the best
> performance, but if you're more even in your fitness, it's unlikely to get
> the best result for you. Particularly as you are saying you want to give
> you're legs a break, you need to pick a rate that you can substain from an
> aerobic point of view throughout and if that's 28, then so be it, but the
> best 2k times are with much higher rates than that. Power or Quick 10s and
> what not are really more psychological than anything else, but my personal
> preference would be to pick a technique goal at every minute, so you keep
> going at the same pace, but for a minute you think about a particular part
> of the stroke and so on, so you are focusing on something helpful, hopefully
> by improving an area of technique, say quick catches, you actually make
> you're target split slightly easier to maintain.
>
> From what I've been reading it sounds like you could be knocking this PB
> down by quite a chunk, you might want to do some 500m practice pieces, to
> see what you can do and use those times as a baseline for what you're aiming
> for on the 2k, I seem to recall some advise about how much to add to a 500m
> PB to get the split to aim for for the 2k, but I can't remember what it is!
> Kieran is being a bit conservative with amount of time to knock off, I'm
> sure you can go under 7mins next test, possibly lower still.
>
> Cheers
>
> Anne

On my first Practice (been out for Wrestling) We did a preliminary 1.5
mile were I finished 6th with a 11:27, But i know i could of done
better.

After we ran we did a 5X1k. I won the First and Last ones (3min Break
in between)

3:24,3:38,3:45,3:51,3:35

Thanks for the Great Advice hopefully I can get my 2k under 7min!

Thank you again for all the great posts.

Keep it up

18 Feb 2007 16:29:52
Christopher Anton
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

<[email protected] > wrote in message
> On my first Practice (been out for Wrestling) We did a preliminary 1.5
> mile were I finished 6th with a 11:27, But i know i could of done
> better.
>
> After we ran we did a 5X1k. I won the First and Last ones (3min Break
> in between)
>
> 3:24,3:38,3:45,3:51,3:35
>
> Thanks for the Great Advice hopefully I can get my 2k under 7min!
>
> Thank you again for all the great posts.
>
> Keep it up

From my limited experience of US High Schools from my American cousins I
gained the view that wrestling is a big school sport in the US and in fact
much bigger than rowing which is entirely the opposite way round here (in UK
and most of Europe I guess). Is that because it's too cold to row for most
of the winter?

18 Feb 2007 08:57:05
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

On Feb 18, 2:07 am, "Anne Rogers" <[email protected] > wrote:
> >I have always done just normal full strokes to start out. But I heard
> > that To gain the momentum of the erg you do 1/2,1/2,3/4,Full Then a
> > Quick Ten, Then Settle. I this a Good Start?
>
> it will work, though I may be inclined to settle after five, not 10, slide
> length wise, for the erg it's just what gets you going, you've not got the
> issue you have in a boat of not wanting to slow the boat down on the 2nd and
> 3rd stroke, so in a boat you almost always need to have the 2nd stroke
> shorter than the first.
>
> > And what about the finish I usually don't do anything different until
> > for the final 200m-150m I go all out and can usually get 10 sec lower
> > then my avg for the 2k.
>
> that's about the right time to go for it, you'll need to do multiple tests
> to get a good idea of when you can go for it, if you've been working hard
> enough the rest of the time, you may find 200m is too soon, you may only be
> able to up it for 3 or 4 strokes if you've been at a a substainable, but
> only just kind of level.
>

> > I am thinking about doing power 10 every 500 is this a good idea,
> > should I do a Quick 10 in between to confuse the rowers next to me,
> > and to give my legs a break.(Change of 23-26 to a 28-30)
> > Info-6'2" 178pounds, 7:11.7 2k, 41min 10k
>
> those rates sound too slow to me for a 2k test, for some people who are
> strong, but not very aerobically fit, that may be the was to get the best
> performance, but if you're more even in your fitness, it's unlikely to get
> the best result for you. Particularly as you are saying you want to give
> you're legs a break, you need to pick a rate that you can substain from an
> aerobic point of view throughout and if that's 28, then so be it, but the
> best 2k times are with much higher rates than that. Power or Quick 10s and
> what not are really more psychological than anything else, but my personal
> preference would be to pick a technique goal at every minute, so you keep
> going at the same pace, but for a minute you think about a particular part
> of the stroke and so on, so you are focusing on something helpful, hopefully
> by improving an area of technique, say quick catches, you actually make
> you're target split slightly easier to maintain.
>
> From what I've been reading it sounds like you could be knocking this PB
> down by quite a chunk, you might want to do some 500m practice pieces, to
> see what you can do and use those times as a baseline for what you're aiming
> for on the 2k, I seem to recall some advise about how much to add to a 500m
> PB to get the split to aim for for the 2k, but I can't remember what it is!
> Kieran is being a bit conservative with amount of time to knock off, I'm
> sure you can go under 7mins next test, possibly lower still.
>
> Cheers
>
> Anne

Anne is right, your rates are way too low. And if you are reading this
and thinking ..but I cant sustain 30 strokes a minute....then think
like this...

row 3/4 pressure....or lighter and spin the rate up with your hand
speeds and a bit of slide speed. You will get great splits but feel
really easy. And that's how an ergo should feel. Its not a boat,
rhythm really has little influence.

Set split, set rate, and the adjust power to reach these targets.

You will surprise yourself.

So on your 3.24 1000 you averaged 1.42. try doing one minute, rating
30-32 and make sure your split does not go below 1.42.....if you see
1.38 lighten off BUT keep the rate, anything below 1.42 then lighten
off the power but keep the rate always. It will take some time to get
used to. I bet you feel it is now sustainable. The trick is making
sure you go off this"easy" in your test.

18 Feb 2007 10:47:44
[email protected]
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

On Feb 18, 11:29 am, "Christopher Anton"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > On my first Practice (been out for Wrestling) We did a preliminary 1.5
> > mile were I finished 6th with a 11:27, But i know i could of done
> > better.
>
> > After we ran we did a 5X1k. I won the First and Last ones (3min Break
> > in between)
>
> > 3:24,3:38,3:45,3:51,3:35
>
> > Thanks for the Great Advice hopefully I can get my 2k under 7min!
>
> > Thank you again for all the great posts.
>
> > Keep it up
>
> From my limited experience of US High Schools from my American cousins I
> gained the view that wrestling is a big school sport in the US and in fact
> much bigger than rowing which is entirely the opposite way round here (in UK
> and most of Europe I guess). Is that because it's too cold to row for most
> of the winter?

I don't believe so, I think it is because anyone can have a wrestling
team, only schools that have access to water can have a rowing team.
Where i live their are only about 5 schools that have crew in western
Michigan while hundreds have Wrestling.

18 Feb 2007 14:39:08
[email protected]
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

On Feb 18, 1:47 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> On Feb 18, 11:29 am, "Christopher Anton"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > On my first Practice (been out for Wrestling) We did a preliminary 1.5
> > > mile were I finished 6th with a 11:27, But i know i could of done
> > > better.
>
> > > After we ran we did a 5X1k. I won the First and Last ones (3min Break
> > > in between)
>
> > > 3:24,3:38,3:45,3:51,3:35
>
> > > Thanks for the Great Advice hopefully I can get my 2k under 7min!
>
> > > Thank you again for all the great posts.
>
> > > Keep it up
>
> > From my limited experience of US High Schools from my American cousins I
> > gained the view that wrestling is a big school sport in the US and in fact
> > much bigger than rowing which is entirely the opposite way round here (in UK
> > and most of Europe I guess). Is that because it's too cold to row for most
> > of the winter?
>
> I don't believe so, I think it is because anyone can have a wrestling
> team, only schools that have access to water can have a rowing team.
> Where i live their are only about 5 schools that have crew in western
> Michigan while hundreds have Wrestling.

Thanks for the advice,
I just did it and I now feel that i will be able to row at least a
30spm. This will definitely help me
Thanks again, I will be doing this regularly

p.s. i was wondering if i should go 1min on 1min off or something like
that.

Thanks again

18 Feb 2007 16:14:50
[email protected]
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

On Feb 18, 5:39 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> On Feb 18, 1:47 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 18, 11:29 am, "Christopher Anton"
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > From my limited experience of US High Schools from my American cousins I
> > > gained the view that wrestling is a big school sport in the US and in fact
> > > much bigger than rowing which is entirely the opposite way round here (in UK
> > > and most of Europe I guess). Is that because it's too cold to row for most
> > > of the winter?
>
> > I don't believe so, I think it is because anyone can have a wrestling
> > team, only schools that have access to water can have a rowing team.
> > Where i live their are only about 5 schools that have crew in western
> > Michigan while hundreds have Wrestling.
>
> Thanks for the advice,
> I just did it and I now feel that i will be able to row at least a
> 34spm. This will definitely help me
> Thanks again, I will be doing this regularly
>
> p.s. i was wondering if i should go 1min on 1min off or something like
> that.
>
> Thanks again

Here are My results of my 1min on 1min off
I averaged 1:42 on at a 33 stroke rate
covering a total of 2940 meters
This did alot to help

20 Feb 2007 11:07:52
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

On Feb 18, 7:14 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> On Feb 18, 5:39 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 18, 1:47 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I don't believe so, I think it is because anyone can have a wrestling
> > > team, only schools that have access to water can have a rowing team.
> > > Where i live their are only about 5 schools that have crew in western
> > > Michigan while hundreds have Wrestling.
>
> > Thanks for the advice,
> > I just did it and I now feel that i will be able to row at least a
> > 34spm. This will definitely help me
> > Thanks again, I will be doing this regularly
>
> > p.s. i was wondering if i should go 1min on 1min off or something like
> > that.
>
> > Thanks again
>
> Here are My results of my 1min on 1min off
> I averaged 1:42 on at a 33 stroke rate
> covering a total of 2940 meters
> This did alot to help- Hide quoted text -

But how easy did it feel.....33 is a big jump 30-31 will do...

first one should have been very easy indeed.

20 Feb 2007 13:48:02
[email protected]

On Feb 20, 2:07 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 18, 7:14 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 18, 5:39 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Thanks for the advice,
> > > I just did it and I now feel that i will be able to row at least a
> > > 34spm. This will definitely help me
> > > Thanks again, I will be doing this regularly
>
> > > p.s. i was wondering if i should go 1min on 1min off or something like
> > > that.
>
> > > Thanks again
>
> > Here are My results of my 1min on 1min off
> > I averaged 1:42 on at a 33 stroke rate
> > covering a total of 2940 meters
> > This did alot to help- Hide quoted text -

> But how easy did it feel.....33 is a big jump 30-31 will do...
>
> first one should have been very easy indeed.

The First 5 felt extremely easy, the next 3 were still pretty easy,
But The last two really made me push through it.

This definitely helped build my confidence for a higher stroke rate, I
think i pulled the last two at a faster rate, because they were the
final two and thats what rose my stroke rate?

Today I did a 4500 in a 18:01, I was ahead of my biggest competitor
with about 750 to go by about 100 meters, But at 400m to go he started
to bring up the rate, and pressure and I couldn't hold the lead, He
beat me by 2 seconds, but i feel I can beat him next time.

Is this my stroke rate or is this my endurance that is hurting me?

20 Feb 2007 14:57:43
Re: How To Start and other Race Plan Questions

On Feb 20, 1:48 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected] > wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2:07 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Feb 18, 7:14 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Here are My results of my 1min on 1min off
> > > I averaged 1:42 on at a 33 stroke rate
> > > covering a total of 2940 meters
> > > This did alot to help- Hide quoted text -

> > But how easy did it feel.....33 is a big jump 30-31 will do...
>
> > first one should have been very easy indeed.
>
> The First 5 felt extremely easy, the next 3 were still pretty easy,
> But The last two really made me push through it.
>
> This definitely helped build my confidence for a higher stroke rate, I
> think i pulled the last two at a faster rate, because they were the
> final two and thats what rose my stroke rate?
>
> Today I did a 4500 in a 18:01, I was ahead of my biggest competitor
> with about 750 to go by about 100 meters, But at 400m to go he started
> to bring up the rate, and pressure and I couldn't hold the lead, He
> beat me by 2 seconds, but i feel I can beat him next time.
>
> Is this my stroke rate or is this my endurance that is hurting me?- Hide quoted text -

No, if the guy who beat you really did 850m in the same time that you
did 750m to finish, the pace difference between you both was about 15
seconds/500m and that's a hugh difference. I'd say that you need to
improve both strength and endurance, but that other guy now knows he
can hold a sub 2:00 pace for that distance a lot easier than putting
in a huge sprint at the end, so staying out in front next time may be
a bit tougher.

- Paul Smith