22 Feb 2007 04:18:37
[email protected]
Here be curiosities

The start of the Grand Winter Handicap in Brussels last Sunday. Open
to any boat other than racing shells, 5km with time allowances on the
start, first-past-the-post finish.

I'm in the 'yole' 4+ in the foreground, in my bid for 'world's
heaviest cox' title. Can't have slowed them down too much, we were
9th out of 53.

http://www.rcaeaviron.be/Gallery/details.php?image_id=2259

Dave H

22 Feb 2007 12:38:46
Carl
Re: Here be curiosities

[email protected] wrote:
> The start of the Grand Winter Handicap in Brussels last Sunday. Open
> to any boat other than racing shells, 5km with time allowances on the
> start, first-past-the-post finish.
>
> I'm in the 'yole' 4+ in the foreground, in my bid for 'world's
> heaviest cox' title. Can't have slowed them down too much, we were
> 9th out of 53.
>
> http://www.rcaeaviron.be/Gallery/details.php?image_id=2259
>
> Dave H

Nice boat, fine crew, sylph-like cox ;). Obviously the steering was
masterly. Shame about the architecture.

Cheers -
Carl

--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories

22 Feb 2007 04:49:54
[email protected]
Re: Here be curiosities

On Feb 22, 1:38 pm, Carl <[email protected] > wrote:

> Nice boat, fine crew, sylph-like cox ;). Obviously the steering was
> masterly. Shame about the architecture.
>
> Cheers -
> Carl

What about this one, Carl?
http://www.rcaeaviron.be/Gallery/details.php?image_id=2283
An old Dossunet, vintage - what - 1920s? Restored a couple of years
ago by one of our members, who insisted on the 'Carl Couglas' touch of
inlaying the decks with a strip of lighter wood.

Dave H

22 Feb 2007 05:12:14
Re: Here be curiosities

On Feb 22, 12:49 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected] >
wrote:
> On Feb 22, 1:38 pm, Carl <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Nice boat, fine crew, sylph-like cox ;). Obviously the steering was
> > masterly. Shame about the architecture.
>
> > Cheers -
> > Carl
>
> What about this one, Carl?http://www.rcaeaviron.be/Gallery/details.php?image_id=2283
> An old Dossunet, vintage - what - 1920s? Restored a couple of years
> ago by one of our members, who insisted on the 'Carl Couglas' touch of
> inlaying the decks with a strip of lighter wood.
>
> Dave H

Nice boats perhaps but ohh that kit is really not easy on the eye is
it ?

22 Feb 2007 06:29:28
Jonny
Re: Here be curiosities

On Feb 22, 8:18 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected] >
wrote:

> I'm in the 'yole' 4+ in the foreground, in my bid for 'world's
> heaviest cox' title.

I don't know about your title. Can you beat 105kg as cox in an eight?

22 Feb 2007 07:15:56
[email protected]
Re: Here be curiosities

On Feb 22, 3:29 pm, "Jonny" <[email protected] > wrote:
> On Feb 22, 8:18 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm in the 'yole' 4+ in the foreground, in my bid for 'world's
> > heaviest cox' title.
>
> I don't know about your title. Can you beat 105kg as cox in an eight?

Not quite :-)
Four guys I rowed with 30 years ago, coxed by a fifth, won a vet 8s
pot last year, the cox is reputedly '17 stone', which would be 108kg
if it were true.

22 Feb 2007 07:54:48
Andrew
Re: Here be curiosities

> > > I'm in the 'yole' 4+ in the foreground, in my bid for 'world's
> > > heaviest cox' title.
>
> > I don't know about your title. Can you beat 105kg as cox in an eight?
>
> Not quite :-)
> Four guys I rowed with 30 years ago, coxed by a fifth, won a vet 8s
> pot last year, the cox is reputedly '17 stone', which would be 108kg
> if it were true.

Stu Jones has been known to cox as in the bottom two pictures here.

http://www.jetphotographic.com/browsephotos.php?id=198&start=72

I forget exactly how much he claimed to be weighing at the time, but
it was close to twice as much as two of the coxes who were rowing. To
balance the boat the bowman was the "well built" JCR president.

Andrew

23 Feb 2007 09:23:24
Nick Suess
Re: Here be curiosities

<[email protected] > wrote in message

> What about this one, Carl?
> http://www.rcaeaviron.be/Gallery/details.php?image_id=2283
> An old Dossunet, vintage - what - 1920s? Restored a couple of years
> ago by one of our members, who insisted on the 'Carl Couglas' touch of
> inlaying the decks with a strip of lighter wood.
>
> Dave H

Excuse me asking, Dave, but did he put the riggers on the wrong sides? He's
got the pin only about 15cm behind his heels.

23 Feb 2007 03:25:45
[email protected]
Re: Here be curiosities

On Feb 23, 1:23 am, "Nick Suess" <n[email protected] > wrote:

> > Dave H
>
> Excuse me asking, Dave, but did he put the riggers on the wrong sides? He's
> got the pin only about 15cm behind his heels.

Here's another pic
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/TheSSK/PassePartout2.jpg
The riggers are a curious design, they hinge upwards for storage. It
would be a major engineering feat to swap them round.

23 Feb 2007 07:19:44
Emily
Re: Here be curiosities

> Stu Jones has been known to cox as in the bottom two pictures here.
>
> http://www.jetphotographic.com/browsephotos.php?id=198&start=72
>
> I forget exactly how much he claimed to be weighing at the time, but
> it was close to twice as much as two of the coxes who were rowing. To
> balance the boat the bowman was the "well built" JCR president.
>
> Andrew

Somewhat worryingly, Stu lost this attempt at being the slowest crew
'racing' that day.

26 Feb 2007 05:47:25
Re: Here be curiosities

On Feb 23, 3:19 pm, "Emily" <[email protected] > wrote:
> > Stu Jones has been known to cox as in the bottom two pictures here.
>
> >http://www.jetphotographic.com/browsephotos.php?id=198&start=72
>
> > I forget exactly how much he claimed to be weighing at the time, but
> > it was close to twice as much as two of the coxes who were rowing. To
> > balance the boat the bowman was the "well built" JCR president.
>
> > Andrew
>
> Somewhat worryingly, Stu lost this attempt at being the slowest crew
> 'racing' that day.

Wish we'd been there - you seem to be having better weather than us.
Maybe next year.

Caroline

26 Feb 2007 12:50:26
Emily
Re: Here be curiosities

> Wish we'd been there - you seem to be having better weather than us.
> Maybe next year.
>
> Caroline

That photo was from summer eights rowing on three years ago (if I
remember the year right). Unfortunately Oxford is suffering as much as
anyone from rain and high river levels at the moment.