28 Feb 2007 06:47:32
James Elder
CUBC racing the Head

A welcome surprise:

http://www.theboatrace.org/article/newsandmedia/latestnews/news07

28 Feb 2007 16:05:34
Alistair Potts
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"Rah rah rah! We're going to smash the oiks!"

I think they should race it in top hats.

In my day, of course, we'd have had our butlers row it for us.

(no stereotypes here, move along...)

James Elder wrote:
> A welcome surprise:
>
> http://www.theboatrace.org/article/newsandmedia/latestnews/news07

28 Feb 2007 13:12:27
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On Feb 28, 4:05 pm, Alistair Potts <[email protected] >
wrote:
> "Rah rah rah! We're going to smash the oiks!"
>
> I think they should race it in top hats.
>
> In my day, of course, we'd have had our butlers row it for us.
>
> (no stereotypes here, move along...)
>

> James Elder wrote:
> > A welcome surprise:
>
> >http://www.theboatrace.org/article/newsandmedia/latestnews/news07-Hide quoted text -

Smacks of over-confidence to me.
Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
You've racked up a pretty good list of excuses for losing the one that
counts in the last few years.
Add racing in HORR to the list, why don't you?

28 Feb 2007 22:29:45
liz
Re: CUBC racing the Head

my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry many
moons ago did they?

;-)

liz

"JY" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Smacks of over-confidence to me.
> Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
> You've racked up a pretty good list of excuses for losing the one that
> counts in the last few years.
> Add racing in HORR to the list, why don't you?

28 Feb 2007 17:23:25
bookie
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 28 Feb, 22:29, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org > wrote:
> my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry many
> moons ago did they?
>
> ;-)
>
> liz
>
> "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>

> > Smacks of over-confidence to me.
> > Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
> > You've racked up a pretty good list of excuses for losing the one that
> > counts in the last few years.
> > Add racing in HORR to the list, why don't you?- Hide quoted text -

they didn't decline mine (though bet they wish they had since it took
them about 8 years to get rid of me) and I still think it is a silly
idea, but it is an excellent fall back excuse in case they lose the
boat race to the dark side.

They not heard of 'tapering' before a big event or was that the
problem last year (on top of not being in possession of a self baler)?
ie they lost last year because they were just too full of energy and
fresh and not completely knackered after trying to prove some sort of
strange point to leander et al?

also, if the crews are going to have some sort of bailing device on
board their boat could they at least advertise this fact BEFORE I go
to Ladbrokes to put a bet on? I lost =A310 last year when neither crew
sank during the race, I would have made a few quid if Oxford had not
cheated with their self-bailer, typical oxford scum dirty tricks.

bookie

01 Mar 2007 10:33:41
Alistair Potts
Re: CUBC racing the Head

liz wrote:
> my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry many
> moons ago did they?
>
> ;-)
>
> liz
>
> "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>> Smacks of over-confidence to me.
>> Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.

I happen to know that JY is none other than JY Kelly, distantly
connected to the famed Kelly rowing dynasty, who has worked his way up
the greasy pole the hard way.

So please liz, no chafing.

01 Mar 2007 10:41:14
Carl
Re: CUBC racing the Head

bookie wrote:
> On 28 Feb, 22:29, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org> wrote:
>
>>my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry many
>>moons ago did they?
>>
>>;-)
>>
>>liz
>>
>>"JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>news:[email protected]
>>

>>>Smacks of over-confidence to me.
>>>Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
>>>You've racked up a pretty good list of excuses for losing the one that
>>>counts in the last few years.
>>>Add racing in HORR to the list, why don't you?- Hide quoted text -

> they didn't decline mine (though bet they wish they had since it took
> them about 8 years to get rid of me) and I still think it is a silly
> idea, but it is an excellent fall back excuse in case they lose the
> boat race to the dark side.
>
> They not heard of 'tapering' before a big event or was that the
> problem last year (on top of not being in possession of a self baler)?
> ie they lost last year because they were just too full of energy and
> fresh and not completely knackered after trying to prove some sort of
> strange point to leander et al?
>
> also, if the crews are going to have some sort of bailing device on
> board their boat could they at least advertise this fact BEFORE I go
> to Ladbrokes to put a bet on? I lost 10 last year when neither crew
> sank during the race, I would have made a few quid if Oxford had not
> cheated with their self-bailer, typical oxford scum dirty tricks.

But they were using fully-buoyant shells. So neither crew was going to
sink.

How long have we been explaining that full buoyancy allows boats to
continue being rowed when swamped? Yet still you go & throw away yoour
tenner.

;)
Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories

01 Mar 2007 10:49:43
mpruscoe
Re: CUBC racing the Head

Carl wrote:
> bookie wrote:
>> also, if the crews are going to have some sort of bailing device on
>> board their boat could they at least advertise this fact BEFORE I go
>> to Ladbrokes to put a bet on? I lost 10 last year when neither crew
>> sank during the race, I would have made a few quid if Oxford had not
>> cheated with their self-bailer, typical oxford scum dirty tricks.
>>

> But they were using fully-buoyant shells. So neither crew was going to
> sink.
>
> How long have we been explaining that full buoyancy allows boats to
> continue being rowed when swamped? Yet still you go & throw away yoour
> tenner.

and she calls herself "bookie" too!

01 Mar 2007 01:29:09
liz
Re: CUBC racing the Head

come on, you don't taper 7 days out...

"bookie" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On 28 Feb, 22:29, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org > wrote:
> my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry many
> moons ago did they?
>
> ;-)
>
> liz
>
> "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>

> > Smacks of over-confidence to me.
> > Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
> > You've racked up a pretty good list of excuses for losing the one that
> > counts in the last few years.
> > Add racing in HORR to the list, why don't you?- Hide quoted text -

they didn't decline mine (though bet they wish they had since it took
them about 8 years to get rid of me) and I still think it is a silly
idea, but it is an excellent fall back excuse in case they lose the
boat race to the dark side.

They not heard of 'tapering' before a big event or was that the
problem last year (on top of not being in possession of a self baler)?
ie they lost last year because they were just too full of energy and
fresh and not completely knackered after trying to prove some sort of
strange point to leander et al?

also, if the crews are going to have some sort of bailing device on
board their boat could they at least advertise this fact BEFORE I go
to Ladbrokes to put a bet on? I lost 10 last year when neither crew
sank during the race, I would have made a few quid if Oxford had not
cheated with their self-bailer, typical oxford scum dirty tricks.

bookie

01 Mar 2007 11:18:44
liz
Re: CUBC racing the Head

Well i could pass comment about the connection between Cambridge and greasy
poles... but it's been done before.

"Alistair Potts" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> liz wrote:
>> my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry
>> many moons ago did they?
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> liz
>>
>> "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>>> Smacks of over-confidence to me.
>>> Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
>
> I happen to know that JY is none other than JY Kelly, distantly connected
> to the famed Kelly rowing dynasty, who has worked his way up the greasy
> pole the hard way.
>
> So please liz, no chafing.

01 Mar 2007 04:11:13
Pete
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar, 01:23, "bookie" <[email protected] > wrote:
> On 28 Feb, 22:29, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org> wrote:
>

> > my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry many
> > moons ago did they?
>
> > ;-)
>
> > liz
>
> > "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >news:[email protected]
>
> > > Smacks of over-confidence to me.
> > > Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
> > > You've racked up a pretty good list of excuses for losing the one that
> > > counts in the last few years.
> > > Add racing in HORR to the list, why don't you?- Hide quoted text -

> they didn't decline mine (though bet they wish they had since it took
> them about 8 years to get rid of me) and I still think it is a silly
> idea, but it is an excellent fall back excuse in case they lose the
> boat race to the dark side.
>
> They not heard of 'tapering' before a big event or was that the
> problem last year (on top of not being in possession of a self baler)?
> ie they lost last year because they were just too full of energy and
> fresh and not completely knackered after trying to prove some sort of
> strange point to leander et al?

I don't think they're going to try to go absolutely flat out, in which
case they'll be recovered well inside the week. In a 20 minute race,
the difference between a hard race from which you recover in a couple
of days and a flat out race which you don't recover from in time is
only about 5 seconds.

Pete

01 Mar 2007 05:08:46
bookie
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar, 01:23, "bookie" <[email protected] > wrote:
> On 28 Feb, 22:29, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org> wrote:
>

> > my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry m=
any
> > moons ago did they?
>
> > ;-)
>
> > liz
>
> > "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> >news:[email protected]
>
> > > Smacks of over-confidence to me.
> > > Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
> > > You've racked up a pretty good list of excuses for losing the one that
> > > counts in the last few years.
> > > Add racing in HORR to the list, why don't you?- Hide quoted text -

> they didn't decline mine (though bet they wish they had since it took
> them about 8 years to get rid of me) and I still think it is a silly
> idea, but it is an excellent fall back excuse in case they lose the
> boat race to the dark side.
>
> They not heard of 'tapering' before a big event or was that the
> problem last year (on top of not being in possession of a self baler)?
> ie they lost last year because they were just too full of energy and
> fresh and not completely knackered after trying to prove some sort of
> strange point to leander et al?
>
> also, if the crews are going to have some sort of bailing device on
> board their boat could they at least advertise this fact BEFORE I go
> to Ladbrokes to put a bet on? I lost =A310 last year when neither crew
> sank during the race, I would have made a few quid if Oxford had not
> cheated with their self-bailer, typical oxford scum dirty tricks.
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

nah it was supposed to cover swamping util they could no longer
continue to row and had to withdraw from the race, which cambridge
seemed pretty close to having to do to me.
also would not have surprised me if, in the spirit of saving money or
some fruitless search for more speed, that one or other crew had not
bothered with full buoyancy. After all it is the Boat Race! and far
more important than life and death you know...apparantly....

putting a bet on for one or other to win is just dull, you want to
wager on something different happening, eg the oxford stroke
collapsing half throgh the race or the entire cambridge being abducted
by alien just before coming under barnes. long odds yes but think of
the winnings!!!!

01 Mar 2007 05:11:19
bookie
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar, 10:33, Alistair Potts <[email protected] >
wrote:
> liz wrote:
> > my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry many
> > moons ago did they?
>
> > ;-)
>
> > liz
>
> > "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]
>
> >> Smacks of over-confidence to me.
> >> Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
>
> I happen to know that JY is none other than JY Kelly, distantly
> connected to the famed Kelly rowing dynasty, who has worked his way up
> the greasy pole the hard way.
>
> So please liz, no chafing.

if the pole was greasy then there certainly woud not be any chafing
involved

01 Mar 2007 14:15:57
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar 2007 04:11:13 -0800, Pete wrote:
> I don't think they're going to try to go absolutely flat out

They will, of course, or else why enter. There's plenty of time to
recover.

--
E. Dronkert

01 Mar 2007 05:25:48
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 28 Feb, 22:29, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org > wrote:
> my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry many
> moons ago did they?

God no. I rowed for the Dark side in the days when we used to win even
if we had only 7-men rowing.

01 Mar 2007 05:28:12
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

> I don't think they're going to try to go absolutely flat out, in which
> case they'll be recovered well inside the week. In a 20 minute race,
> the difference between a hard race from which you recover in a couple
> of days and a flat out race which you don't recover from in time is
> only about 5 seconds.

So... They think they will win without going flat out...
How over-confident is that????

01 Mar 2007 05:34:25
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar, 13:15, Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected] >
wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2007 04:11:13 -0800, Pete wrote:
>
> > I don't think they're going to try to go absolutely flat out
>
> They will, of course, or else why enter. There's plenty of time to
> recover.
>
> --
> E. Dronkert

Of course there is, but the point is you don't want to spend the week
before the Boat Race recovering from a race the previous weekend, you
want to be preparing in the best way you possibly can. Every Tab crew
since 1993 has thought this. What is so different about this one?

01 Mar 2007 13:40:30
liz
Re: CUBC racing the Head

what back in 1895?

(ex-darkside explains the chip equally well - but if you think it makes them
less likely to beat oxford the following week perhaps you should be
encouaging them)

;-)

"JY" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On 28 Feb, 22:29, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org> wrote:
>> my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry
>> many
>> moons ago did they?
>>
> God no. I rowed for the Dark side in the days when we used to win even
> if we had only 7-men rowing.

01 Mar 2007 05:53:41
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar, 13:40, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org > wrote:
> what back in 1895?
>
> (ex-darkside explains the chip equally well - but if you think it makes them
> less likely to beat oxford the following week perhaps you should be
> encouaging them)
>
> ;-)
>
> "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>

> > On 28 Feb, 22:29, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org> wrote:
> >> my what a big chip you have on your shoulder, decline your UCCA entry
> >> many
> >> moons ago did they?
>
> > God no. I rowed for the Dark side in the days when we used to win even
> > if we had only 7-men rowing.- Hide quoted text -

Almost!!!
Actually, I would like to see Cambridge do the HORR irrespective of
the Boat Race.
A fantastic bonus though if they manage to lose the next weekend.
Being a realist, I don't suppose they will, but then I thought they
would win last year, in 2005, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1987.............

01 Mar 2007 08:52:54
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 28 Feb, 14:47, "James Elder" <[email protected] > wrote:
> A welcome surprise:
>
> http://www.theboatrace.org/article/newsandmedia/latestnews/news07

Coaching is fun. Or at least it is until you get paid for it. Then it
becomes a job. Like all jobs it has some fun aspects and some not so
fun. Performance reviews are the same in rowing as any other job.

The Cambridge coach is taking a huge risk here. I have to say it is
not something I would do. I see no Physiological, or psychological
advantage from doing this. I only see downside.

His decision however. He is paid a lot of money as rowing coaches go.
Apart from a head coach of a national federation he is paid more. And
thats only big federations. He has a great budget at his disposal and
everything laid on a plate. A boatrace coach needs only be a
catalyst.

This head coach will be in deep water come the end of the boat race if
he does not win. He lost one he should have won last year and is now
going against accepted methodology for boatrace preparation.

As I have said before I have never been so interested in the Boat
Race. But I would say if Cambridge lose then they will have a new Head
Coach next year. Because like every other job, you don't get paid for
poor performance.

01 Mar 2007 09:57:11
Charles Carroll
Re: CUBC racing the Head

> > Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.

Forgive me, but I cannot help being curious. Is "Fen-land Poly" intended as
an insult? Or is it merely an example of that rough sense of humor so
beloved to the Brits? You know that humor which is so lost on your cousins
this side of the pond!

Cordially,

Charles

01 Mar 2007 10:10:49
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar, 17:57, "Charles Carroll" <[email protected] >
wrote:
> > > Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
>
> Forgive me, but I cannot help being curious. Is "Fen-land Poly" intended as
> an insult? Or is it merely an example of that rough sense of humor so
> beloved to the Brits? You know that humor which is so lost on your cousins
> this side of the pond!
>
> Cordially,
>
> Charles

something like that...
Fen-land because that's where Cambridge is.
Poly short for polytechnic, a now extinct tertiary educational
establishment, since the government allowed all the polys to become
universities. Cambridge being a distinctly substandard establishment
especially when it comes to the production of rowing crews, spies &
prime ministers, unlike its erstwhile Dark blue rival, really ought to
be re-classified a Poly. At least thats what we though as
undergraduates 25 (or 100) years ago.

01 Mar 2007 10:15:14

wrote:
> > > Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
>
> Forgive me, but I cannot help being curious. Is "Fen-land Poly" intended as
> an insult? Or is it merely an example of that rough sense of humor so
> beloved to the Brits? You know that humor which is so lost on your cousins
> this side of the pond!
>
> Cordially,
>
> Charles

it is some desperate dark side attempt at a witty riposte for being
labelled the 'Iffley Special School for the mentally challenged'

01 Mar 2007 10:18:15
Emily
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On Mar 1, 5:57 pm, "Charles Carroll" <[email protected] >
wrote:
> > > Go ahead, Fen-land Poly, win the HORR.
>
> Forgive me, but I cannot help being curious. Is "Fen-land Poly" intended as
> an insult? Or is it merely an example of that rough sense of humor so
> beloved to the Brits? You know that humor which is so lost on your cousins
> this side of the pond!
>
> Cordially,
>
> Charles

It's mostly a case of the latter. The Tideway Slug also refers to
Oxford as 'Iffley Special School' which is possibly even less kind,
but no-one gets upset about it.

The only ones who should be offended are those at the former East
Anglia Polytechnic in Cambridge (now Anglia Ruskin University) since
that is the real Fen-land Poly and its members probably don't
appreciate the Tabs* nicking their moniker.

* From 'Cantab' - the letters that go after BA if you have a Cambridge
University degree.

01 Mar 2007 10:46:47
Charles Carroll
Re: CUBC racing the Head

What is it Churchill said? "Americans and British are one people separated
only by a common language."

I haven't laughed so hard reading through a rsr thread in a long time. I am
so jealous. And Carl is so right about sensitivities on this side of the
pond. If we tried something like this we'd be drawn and quartered.

Can't wait to hear from our voice in Australia. Maybe he will have a little
something to add.

"Emily" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> > Forgive me, but I cannot help being curious. Is "Fen-land Poly" intended
as
> > an insult? Or is it merely an example of that rough sense of humor so
> > beloved to the Brits? You know that humor which is so lost on your
cousins
> > this side of the pond!
> >
> > Cordially,
> >
> > Charles
>
> It's mostly a case of the latter. The Tideway Slug also refers to
> Oxford as 'Iffley Special School' which is possibly even less kind,
> but no-one gets upset about it.
>
> The only ones who should be offended are those at the former East
> Anglia Polytechnic in Cambridge (now Anglia Ruskin University) since
> that is the real Fen-land Poly and its members probably don't
> appreciate the Tabs* nicking their moniker.
>

> * From 'Cantab' - the letters that go after BA if you have a Cambridge
> University degree.

01 Mar 2007 20:43:38
Jonathan Anderson
Re: CUBC racing the Head

liz wrote:
> Well i could pass comment about the connection between Cambridge and greasy
> poles... but it's been done before.

You can take the man out of Cambridge, but you can't take the traffic
cone out of the man.

Jon
--
Durge: [email protected] http://users.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: [email protected] http://www.rowing.org.uk/

[ All views expressed are personal unless otherwise stated ]

01 Mar 2007 13:11:07
happy_john
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On Mar 1, 6:18 pm, "Emily" <[email protected] > wrote:

> > Forgive me, but I cannot help being curious. Is "Fen-land Poly" intended as
> > an insult? Or is it merely an example of that rough sense of humor so
> > beloved to the Brits? You know that humor which is so lost on your cousins
> > this side of the pond!
>
> > Cordially,
>
> > Charles
>
> It's mostly a case of the latter. The Tideway Slug also refers to
> Oxford as 'Iffley Special School' which is possibly even less kind,
> but no-one gets upset about it.
>
> The only ones who should be offended are those at the former East
> Anglia Polytechnic in Cambridge (now Anglia Ruskin University) since
> that is the real Fen-land Poly and its members probably don't
> appreciate the Tabs* nicking their moniker.
>
> * From 'Cantab' - the letters that go after BA if you have a Cambridge
> University degree.

Anglia Polytechnic was Always the 'Early Learning Centre' when I was
in Camland.

01 Mar 2007 14:09:44
Mike Sullivan
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"Charles Carroll" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> What is it Churchill said? "Americans and British are one people separated
> only by a common language."
>
> I haven't laughed so hard reading through a rsr thread in a long time. I
> am
> so jealous. And Carl is so right about sensitivities on this side of the
> pond. If we tried something like this we'd be drawn and quartered.

I don't think we have the wit or patience for good
insults here on this side.

01 Mar 2007 23:09:55
Christopher Anton
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"happy_john" <[email protected] > wrote in message

> Anglia Polytechnic was Always the 'Early Learning Centre' when I was
> in Camland.

You mean they've eventually learnt to stop calling it CCAT?

02 Mar 2007 09:28:34
Nick Suess
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"JY" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>> Forgive me, but I cannot help being curious. Is "Fen-land Poly" intended
>> as
>> an insult? Or is it merely an example of that rough sense of humor so
>> beloved to the Brits? You know that humor which is so lost on your
>> cousins
>> this side of the pond!
>>
>> Cordially,
>>
>> Charles
>
> something like that...
> Fen-land because that's where Cambridge is.
> Poly short for polytechnic, a now extinct tertiary educational
> establishment, since the government allowed all the polys to become
> universities. Cambridge being a distinctly substandard establishment
> especially when it comes to the production of rowing crews, spies &
> prime ministers, unlike its erstwhile Dark blue rival, really ought to
> be re-classified a Poly. At least thats what we though as
> undergraduates 25 (or 100) years ago.

40 years ago at the aforementioned Fenland Polytechnic in my case. Having
taken Charles out into the fens to see the last two days of the 2006 May
Bumps, I'm almost surpised the term "Fenland Poly" never slipped into our
conversation. Maybe we were just too busy watching Caius triumph again.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the light blue faction still hold
the overall lead in Boat Race victories, and I suspect we are way ahead in
spies, with Burgess, McLean, Philby and Blunt being our coxless four entry.
As for PMs, well they're nearly all dark blue boys (and one of indeterminate
gender), and that has surely rendered them such an insipid waste of oxygen.
I mean, Blair for a start, but before him there were Thatcher, Wilson, Home,
MacMillan, Eden, and Attlee all within my lifetime, with Major, Callaghan
and Churchill being the only exceptions, and none of them light blue. You
have to go back to Baldwin for the last Cambridge PM.

Maybe we can be far more proud of producing people possessing the genius for
making us laugh at life, such as Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, at least half
of the Pythons, The Goodies, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, Douglas Adams, and
more recently Borat.

02 Mar 2007 11:48:58
Nick Suess
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"Nick Suess" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> As for PMs, well they're nearly all dark blue boys (and one of
> indeterminate gender), and that has surely rendered them such an insipid
> waste of oxygen. I mean, Blair for a start, but before him there were
> Thatcher, Wilson, Home, MacMillan, Eden, and Attlee all within my
> lifetime,

Sorry, how could I possibly have omitted the Grocer? Please add Heath to
that list.

02 Mar 2007 12:11:04
Nick Suess
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"Charles Carroll" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> What is it Churchill said? "Americans and British are one people separated
> only by a common language."
>
> I haven't laughed so hard reading through a rsr thread in a long time. I
> am
> so jealous. And Carl is so right about sensitivities on this side of the
> pond. If we tried something like this we'd be drawn and quartered.
>
> Can't wait to hear from our voice in Australia. Maybe he will have a
> little
> something to add.

Well, Charles, of course I was sleeping soundly when this all started, and
later to arise that you might have thought, since I am not on "Australian
time". Or so various bits of pom officialdom occasionally tell me, as their
highly reliable information has "Australia" currently 11 hours ahead of GMT.
They simply cannot understand why, for some obscure reason, I've opted to be
only 9 hours ahead. They are distant cousins of those who occasionally write
to tell me I've spelt my surname name wrong, and the correct spelling is
"Seuss".

Maybe they want me to write just like this
Or maybe these jokers are taking the piss,
But whyever it happens, I'll tell you that it's
Something that really gives me the shits.
So the next one who tells me to spell it like that
Will be firmly labelled "the Prat in the Hat"!

But that aside, I have arisen not just to see you and Sul lamenting your
fellow citizens' lack of capability not just for self-deprecation but for
any degree of understanding or comprehension thereof. Also in the morning's
on-line news items I have scanned is one that reports that long-term
Guantanamo holidaymaker David Hicks is now at last to face charges.
Apparently he faces a possible life term if convicted of the most serious
charge of "not being American".

01 Mar 2007 19:42:09
Anne Rogers
Re: CUBC racing the Head

> Maybe we can be far more proud of producing people possessing the genius
> for making us laugh at life, such as Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, at least
> half of the Pythons, The Goodies, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, Douglas
> Adams, and more recently Borat.

and of course Hugh Laurie was in the 1980 blue boat, but they lost ;-).

Anne

01 Mar 2007 19:42:33
Anne Rogers
Re: CUBC racing the Head

> it is some desperate dark side attempt at a witty riposte for being
> labelled the 'Iffley Special School for the mentally challenged'

rather be a poly than a special school any day!

Anne

02 Mar 2007 01:16:26
Paul
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar, 16:52, [email protected] wrote:
> On 28 Feb, 14:47, "James Elder" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A welcome surprise:
>
> >http://www.theboatrace.org/article/newsandmedia/latestnews/news07
>
> Coaching is fun. Or at least it is until you get paid for it. Then it
> becomes a job. Like all jobs it has some fun aspects and some not so
> fun. Performance reviews are the same in rowing as any other job.
>
> The Cambridge coach is taking a huge risk here. I have to say it is
> not something I would do. I see no Physiological, or psychological
> advantage from doing this. I only see downside.
>
> His decision however. He is paid a lot of money as rowing coaches go.
> Apart from a head coach of a national federation he is paid more. And
> thats only big federations. He has a great budget at his disposal and
> everything laid on a plate. A boatrace coach needs only be a
> catalyst.
>
> This head coach will be in deep water come the end of the boat race if
> he does not win. He lost one he should have won last year and is now
> going against accepted methodology for boatrace preparation.
>
> As I have said before I have never been so interested in the Boat
> Race. But I would say if Cambridge lose then they will have a new Head
> Coach next year. Because like every other job, you don't get paid for
> poor performance.

.=2E.....if Cambridge lose then they will have a new Head
Coach next year. Because like every other job, you don't get paid for
poor performance.

Unless you happen to be chief executive of an NHS hospitial, then you
can get it =A315 million into debt and walk away with a nice pay off,
claiming to have done a great job because you met waiting list
targets, but thats another story...

02 Mar 2007 03:04:58
James Elder
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 2 Mar, 00:28, "Nick Suess" <[email protected] > wrote:
I suspect we are way ahead in
> spies, with Burgess, McLean, Philby and Blunt being our coxless four entry.
> As for PMs, well they're nearly all dark blue boys (and one of indeterminate
> gender), and that has surely rendered them such an insipid waste of oxygen.
> I mean, Blair for a start, but before him there were Thatcher, Wilson, Home,
> MacMillan, Eden, and Attlee all within my lifetime, with Major, Callaghan
> and Churchill being the only exceptions, and none of them light blue. You
> have to go back to Baldwin for the last Cambridge PM.
>
> Maybe we can be far more proud of producing people possessing the genius for
> making us laugh at life, such as Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, at least half
> of the Pythons, The Goodies, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, Douglas Adams, and
> more recently Borat.

I read another good distinction in a collection of Stephen Fry's
articles a while back: Cambridge produces martyrs; Oxford burns them.

02 Mar 2007 05:08:32
Pete
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 1 Mar, 13:28, "JY" <[email protected] > wrote:
> > I don't think they're going to try to go absolutely flat out, in which
> > case they'll be recovered well inside the week. In a 20 minute race,
> > the difference between a hard race from which you recover in a couple
> > of days and a flat out race which you don't recover from in time is
> > only about 5 seconds.
>
> So... They think they will win without going flat out...
> How over-confident is that????

You're assuming they are thinking that; they might, just maybe
possibly, think getting a bit of race practice on the water they will
be racing on without washing down every club on the Tideway (usual
practice) is a good idea. Which it is. I also don't think they are
obnoxious enough to treat it as a pot-hunt, which you seem to assume
they are. It's a race which is not their main target for the season,
they will use it as practice, the same as a lot of people will go to
the Met and Marlow with getting some proper race practice before
Henley as the main aim.

Pete

02 Mar 2007 06:30:49
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 2 Mar, 13:08, "Pete" <[email protected] > wrote:
> On 1 Mar, 13:28, "JY" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > I don't think they're going to try to go absolutely flat out, in which
> > > case they'll be recovered well inside the week. In a 20 minute race,
> > > the difference between a hard race from which you recover in a couple
> > > of days and a flat out race which you don't recover from in time is
> > > only about 5 seconds.
>
> > So... They think they will win without going flat out...
> > How over-confident is that????
>
> You're assuming they are thinking that; they might, just maybe
> possibly, think getting a bit of race practice on the water they will
> be racing on without washing down every club on the Tideway (usual
> practice) is a good idea. Which it is. I also don't think they are
> obnoxious enough to treat it as a pot-hunt, which you seem to assume
> they are. It's a race which is not their main target for the season,
> they will use it as practice, the same as a lot of people will go to
> the Met and Marlow with getting some proper race practice before
> Henley as the main aim.
>
> Pete

Doing the Tideway Head 7 days before the Boat Race is poor practice
both in terms of timing and type of race.
Boat Race crews get as much side-by-side practice as they want in
fixtures or in training with their reserves. They do NOT need to do
the HORR for race practice. It is difficult to underestimate the
importance of the Boat Race to the crews taking part. To them the HORR
does not even rank as highly in importance as a pot hunt. That's not
being obnoxious, it just shows how important the Boat Race is to those
who race in it.

02 Mar 2007 14:57:39
liz
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"JY" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> unlike its erstwhile Dark blue rival, really ought to
> be re-classified a Poly.

It's rival being Iffley 'special' school of course...

02 Mar 2007 15:00:42
liz
Re: CUBC racing the Head

only since it's become apparent they haven't done their 2006 safety audit.

Back of the subject of name calling - don't forget good old "slough
comprehensive" (that one does tend to wind up the inmates)

"Christopher Anton" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "happy_john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Anglia Polytechnic was Always the 'Early Learning Centre' when I was
>> in Camland.
>
> You mean they've eventually learnt to stop calling it CCAT?

02 Mar 2007 16:16:43
Ewoud Dronkert
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 2 Mar 2007 06:30:49 -0800, JY wrote:
> It is difficult to underestimate the importance
> of the Boat Race to the crews taking part.

It is?

--
E. Dronkert

02 Mar 2007 15:53:37
Alistair Potts
Re: CUBC racing the Head

JY wrote:
> Doing the Tideway Head 7 days before the Boat Race is poor practice
> both in terms of timing and type of race.

I don't know enough about physiology to say whether or how adversely it
might affect a crew. But I'm willing to bet that the decision was taken
with the best advice available. _If_ there has to be a tradeoff, it was
obviously felt that the psychological benefit outweighs any
physiological deficit.

On the second charge - that it's a poor type of race as preparation -
you're utterly wrong. It's a high pressure event, doubly so because the
crew knows it will be being watched intently by so many; and that a poor
performance would hand a psychological advantage to Oxford. Remember
they wont have done a full-course flat-out as a selected crew ever before.

> Boat Race crews get as much side-by-side practice as they want in
> fixtures or in training with their reserves.

Not on the Tideway they don't. And not competitively either. The only
side-by-side racing of pressure they'll do as the Blue Boat is the
German fixture - that's just one afternoon's racing. The HoRR is very
good preparation for putting an unproved combination under race pressure.

> They do NOT need to do
> the HORR for race practice.

They obviously feel that they do. What especial insider knowledge do you
have that allows you to gainsay the coach?

> It is difficult to underestimate the
> importance of the Boat Race to the crews taking part. To them the HORR
> does not even rank as highly in importance as a pot hunt.

That's utter bollocks. The HoRR is, unequivocally, a big deal race for
any rower of any standard and winning it is no trivial task. Doubly so
for Cambridge who are expected to win it.

> That's not
> being obnoxious, it just shows how important the Boat Race is to those
> who race in it.

The whole point of racing the HoRR is _because_ it's important. If the
coach thought that the best physical preparation for the race was 20
mins flat out a week before they'd do it on ergs. Duh.

There is, of course, risk involved. But if they do well I'm certain
they'll be a more formidable crew on Boat Race day than if they hadn't
done it at all.

02 Mar 2007 18:06:44
David Biddulph
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Christopher Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "happy_john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Anglia Polytechnic was Always the 'Early Learning Centre' when I was
>>> in Camland.

>> You mean they've eventually learnt to stop calling it CCAT?

> only since it's become apparent they haven't done their 2006 safety audit.

They have now:
http://www.oara-rowing.org/render.aspx?siteID=1&navIDs=1,249,251,1133
--
David Biddulph
Rowing web pages at

02 Mar 2007 10:09:12
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

> On the second charge - that it's a poor type of race as preparation -
> you're utterly wrong. It's a high pressure event, doubly so because the
> crew knows it will be being watched intently by so many; and that a poor
> performance would hand a psychological advantage to Oxford.

I can see more down-side than up. Just my opinion.

> Remember they wont have done a full-course flat-out as a selected crew ever before.

They won't? Not even in training? Times do change.

Not on the Tideway they don't. And not competitively either. The only
> side-by-side racing of pressure they'll do as the Blue Boat is the
> German fixture -

What about Molesey & Goldie?

> > They obviously feel that they do. What especial insider knowledge do you
> have that allows you to gainsay the coach?

I don't, but if they thought they needed more race practice, I'm sure
they could rustle up some more side-by-side fixtures on the Tideway at
a time of their chosing.

> That's utter bollocks. The HoRR is, unequivocally, a big deal race for
> any rower of any standard and winning it is no trivial task. Doubly so
> for Cambridge who are expected to win it.

Just my opinion: My Isis crew did do it: It was fun, but starting from
the new entries we didn't take it too seriously, although we did win
SA. Again, maybe times change.

> If the coach thought that the best physical preparation for the race was 20 mins flat out a week before they'd do it on ergs. Duh.

Huh? i don't follow. You are saying then, that a 20 min flat out race
is not the best preparation, but they are doing it anyway?

> There is, of course, risk involved. But if they do well I'm certain they'll be a more formidable crew on Boat Race day than if they hadn't done it at all.

So what is it about this crew that is so different to all its
predecessors that makes it want to do the HORR?

02 Mar 2007 18:31:37
Alistair Potts
Re: CUBC racing the Head

JY wrote:
> Not on the Tideway they don't. And not competitively either. The only
>> side-by-side racing of pressure they'll do as the Blue Boat is the
>> German fixture -
>
> What about Molesey & Goldie?

CUBC will hose on Molesey, and Goldie just isn't a pressure fixture.
Really.

> I don't, but if they thought they needed more race practice, I'm sure
> they could rustle up some more side-by-side fixtures on the Tideway at
> a time of their chosing.

No: it's a big deal to transport all the kit from Cambridge to the
Tideway - plus everyone has to have somewhere to stay - and to do it
properly you have to close the river with all the hassle involved. And
on top of that there's virtually no competition available which can race
meaningfully against the Blue Boat. The point is: the HoRR is one of the
very few ways of putting the Blue Boat under real pressure to perform
prior to the big day.

> Huh? i don't follow. You are saying then, that a 20 min flat out race
> is not the best preparation, but they are doing it anyway?

I don't know whether it is or isn't (from a physiological point of view)
but it's the EVENT that's important; if it weren't, they'd just be doing
ergs or plugging up and down in Nottingham.

> So what is it about this crew that is so different to all its
> predecessors that makes it want to do the HORR?

I don't know. But that doesn't make it a bad strategy. You said that
doing the HoRR 7 days before the Boat Race is poor practice
both in terms of timing and type of race. The first point you haven't
produced any evidence for; the second, I think you're dead wrong.

02 Mar 2007 19:03:37
Alasdhair Johnston
Re: CUBC racing the Head

Has either institution produced a spy who worked for his own country, as
opposed to treasonably for a foreign power?

02 Mar 2007 19:29:58
liz
Re: CUBC racing the Head

Amazing what level of activity a suitable threat can encourage

I see the Thames Region clubs are up there now and Abingdon have fallen on
the wrong side of the "benefit of the doubt" divide...

hmmm

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>> "Christopher Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>>> You mean they've eventually learnt to stop calling it CCAT?
>
>> only since it's become apparent they haven't done their 2006 safety
>> audit.
>
> They have now:
> http://www.oara-rowing.org/render.aspx?siteID=1&navIDs=1,249,251,1133
> --
> David Biddulph
> Rowing web pages at
> http://www.biddulph.org.uk/

02 Mar 2007 20:11:49
Chris Kerr
Re: CUBC racing the Head

Alasdhair Johnston wrote:

> Has either institution produced a spy who worked for his own country, as
> opposed to treasonably for a foreign power?

Well, there's James Bond for a start...
(Which one he went to seems to depend on which film you are watching)

02 Mar 2007 20:21:39
David Biddulph
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"Alasdhair Johnston" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Has either institution produced a spy who worked for his own country, as
> opposed to treasonably for a foreign power?

It was always assumed that MI6 was almost entirely staffed from Oxbridge,
but of course until recently folk wouldn't admit that they had been spies.

The current Master of Pembroke (the Cambridge one) is a former head of MI6,
and son of a Thames RC cox
(http://www.leander.co.uk/newsletters/newsletter_autumn_2003.pdf). [The TRC
historians can hopefully tell us whether his father was the same Jack
Dearlove who coxed the GB eight to Olympic silver in 1948?]

See also articles from Varsity (http://www.varsity.co.uk/archive/588.pdf),&
from the other place
(http://www.oxfordstudent.com/mt1999wk6/Features/the_spying_game).
--
David Biddulph
Rowing web pages at

02 Mar 2007 15:54:13
bookie
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 2 Mar, 20:11, Chris Kerr <[email protected] > wrote:
> Alasdhair Johnston wrote:
> > Has either institution produced a spy who worked for his own country, as
> > opposed to treasonably for a foreign power?
>
> Well, there's James Bond for a start...
> (Which one he went to seems to depend on which film you are watching)

well known that James Bond studied languages at Trinity College,
Cambridge (hence the quip in one of the books that he was a 'cunning
linguist') I think the confusion is whether he did modern and medieval
languages (your french, german etc, usual boring stuff) or Oriental
Studies (focusing on the languages aspect of the tripos).

anyway , apart from producing a fictional british spy Trinity
Cambridge has, by itself and not including the other colleges, also
managed to produce more Nobel Prize winners than France. Not sure
whether the dark side can claim anything similar.

bookie#

ps just remembered that amongst the likes of isaac newton,
wittgenstein, milton, bertrand russell, lord byron, etc etc trinity
also produced vanessa feltz, but we would rather not dwell on that
one, thank you

03 Mar 2007 14:14:41
Henry Law
Re: CUBC racing the Head

JY wrote:

> Doing the Tideway Head 7 days before the Boat Race is poor practice
> both in terms of timing and type of race.

That'll be you as the Cambridge chief coach next year, then?

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

04 Mar 2007 02:07:49
James Elder
Re: CUBC racing the Head

On 2 Mar, 20:21, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk > wrote:

> The current Master of Pembroke (the Cambridge one) is a former head of MI6,
> and son of a Thames RC cox
> (http://www.leander.co.uk/newsletters/newsletter_autumn_2003.pdf). [The TRC
> historians can hopefully tell us whether his father was the same Jack
> Dearlove who coxed the GB eight to Olympic silver in 1948?]

It was indeed.

Jack Dearlove coxed the Thames eight which won the Grand in 1948.
However, since the stroke man (Urs Burkard) was Swiss, the crew wasn't
eligible for selection as the GB Olympic eight. Four of the crew
(Tony Butcher, Tom Christie, Peter Kirkpatrick and Hank Rushmere) had
also doubled up and won the Stewards and were selected as the GB four;
Jack Dearlove was selected as the cox of the eight (which was drawn
largely from Leander).

Jack also coxed GB at the 1950 Empire Games and later coached at
Thames. Oddly Thames had two one-legged coxes at the time - Jack
Dearlove and John Levy.

Thames has named a new coxed four 'Jack Dearlove' and an eight 'Grand
'48'. Urs Burkard, Tom Christie and Tony Butcher are all still with
us, and we're hoping to see them at our boat naming in April.

04 Mar 2007 11:42:45
Alexander Lindsay
Re: CUBC racing the Head

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Alasdhair Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
>> Has either institution produced a spy who worked for his own country, as
>> opposed to treasonably for a foreign power?
>
> It was always assumed that MI6 was almost entirely staffed from Oxbridge,
> but of course until recently folk wouldn't admit that they had been spies.
>
> The current Master of Pembroke (the Cambridge one) is a former head of
> MI6, and son of a Thames RC cox
> (http://www.leander.co.uk/newsletters/newsletter_autumn_2003.pdf). [The
> TRC historians can hopefully tell us whether his father was the same Jack
> Dearlove who coxed the GB eight to Olympic silver in 1948?]
>
> See also articles from Varsity (http://www.varsity.co.uk/archive/588.pdf),
> & from the other place
> (http://www.oxfordstudent.com/mt1999wk6/Features/the_spying_game).
> --
> David Biddulph
> Rowing web pages at
> http://www.biddulph.org.uk/

And the current Director General of MI5, Eliza Manningham-Buller, was at
LMH.

Alexander Lindsay

04 Mar 2007 14:00:12
JY
Re: CUBC racing the Head

> I don't know. But that doesn't make it a bad strategy. You said that
> doing the HoRR 7 days before the Boat Race is poor practice
> both in terms of timing and type of race. The first point you haven't
> produced any evidence for; the second, I think you're dead wrong.

I don't know either. I doubt they are any less confident than their
recent predecessors. IMHO they may be a little over-confident.
As to the value of the practice, I'm just expressing my opinion (and
experience, having done it).
JY