26 Feb 2007 16:40:14
bookie
Burway Head - on or off?

Burway head this coming saturday; does anyone have any idea as to
whether it is likely to run or will I be able to go to a cat show in
Leatherhead that afternoon instead? what are the river conditions at
burway like at the moment? red board like just about everywhere else
upstream of the tideway?
be nice to know what is going on before midnight on friday.

ta Bookie

ps you know I have never been to burway, the one time I was entered in
the small boats head before xmas it clashed with the national cat show
at olympia, no contest really.



27 Feb 2007 00:28:01
[email protected]
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

On 27 Feb, 00:40, "bookie" <[email protected] > wrote:
>
I understand that the organisers will speak to the EA late on thursday
and make a decision then



27 Feb 2007 17:02:43
liz
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

cat shows eh?... you don't happen to row at TTRC do you...?

;-)

"bookie" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Burway head this coming saturday; does anyone have any idea as to
> whether it is likely to run or will I be able to go to a cat show in
> Leatherhead that afternoon instead? what are the river conditions at
> burway like at the moment? red board like just about everywhere else
> upstream of the tideway?
> be nice to know what is going on before midnight on friday.
>
> ta Bookie
>
> ps you know I have never been to burway, the one time I was entered in
> the small boats head before xmas it clashed with the national cat show
> at olympia, no contest really.
>




27 Feb 2007 17:05:22
bookie
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

On 27 Feb, 17:02, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org > wrote:
> cat shows eh?... you don't happen to row at TTRC do you...?
>
> ;-)
>

no I don't, I didn't think anyone rowed at TTRC anymore.



28 Feb 2007 05:09:05
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

On Feb 28, 1:05 am, "bookie" <[email protected] > wrote:
> On 27 Feb, 17:02, "liz" <liz(nospam)@twrc.org> wrote:
>
> > cat shows eh?... you don't happen to row at TTRC do you...?
>
> > ;-)
>
> no I don't, I didn't think anyone rowed at TTRC anymore.

At the moment it's red boards all down the Thames. We are a couple of
locks below Burway and the river is unrowable. I think the chances of
it going down by Saturday are very small.

Caroline



28 Feb 2007 05:30:28
Carl Boon
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

It's off. We had another dumping of rain in the Thames valley
overnight and this morning. How very unfortunate for the nice people
at Burway RC because their small boats head was also off back in
December.
I was speaking to event secretary John Biddle at the weekend as he was
being inundated with entries, but alas, it has come to nought.... see
http://burwayrc.co.uk for the cancellation notice.
Carl B.




28 Feb 2007 11:15:53
bookie
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

On 28 Feb, 13:30, "Carl Boon" <[email protected] > wrote:
> It's off. We had another dumping of rain in the Thames valley
> overnight and this morning. How very unfortunate for the nice people
> at Burway RC because their small boats head was also off back in
> December.
> I was speaking to event secretary John Biddle at the weekend as he was
> being inundated with entries, but alas, it has come to nought.... seehttp://burwayrc.co.ukfor the cancellation notice.
> Carl B.

so cat show it is then, good stuff, wasn't looking forward to trying
to steer our novice men in an ancient and highly unresponsive empacher
down the course.
now I wonder if reading uni head will be off too?

bookie



03 Mar 2007 14:49:24
Henry Law
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

Carl Boon wrote:
> It's off.

Is it just me or is there more heavy-water-so-can't-row these days than
hitherto? I've only been rowing for about five years or so, but even
five years back I don't remember so many cancellations.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England


03 Mar 2007 23:06:20
Christopher Anton
Re: Burway Head - on or off?


"Henry Law" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Carl Boon wrote:
>> It's off.
>
> Is it just me or is there more heavy-water-so-can't-row these days than
> hitherto? I've only been rowing for about five years or so, but even five
> years back I don't remember so many cancellations.
>
It is a wetter than average winter.




05 Mar 2007 06:10:52
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

On 3 Mar, 23:06, "Christopher Anton" <[email protected] >
wrote:
> "Henry Law" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]> Carl Boon wrote:
> >> It's off.
>
> > Is it just me or is there more heavy-water-so-can't-row these days than
> > hitherto? I've only been rowing for about five years or so, but even five
> > years back I don't remember so many cancellations.
>
> It is a wetter than average winter.

The conspiracy theorists amongst us would say that the Jubilee flood
relief channel is causing higher river levels downstream of Windsor.
But this might be just circumstantial.....



05 Mar 2007 19:58:33
Carl Douglas
Re: Burway Head - on or off?

[email protected] wrote:
> On 3 Mar, 23:06, "Christopher Anton" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>"Henry Law" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>news:[email protected]> Carl Boon wrote:
>>
>>>>It's off.
>>
>>>Is it just me or is there more heavy-water-so-can't-row these days than
>>>hitherto? I've only been rowing for about five years or so, but even five
>>>years back I don't remember so many cancellations.
>>
>>It is a wetter than average winter.
>
>
> The conspiracy theorists amongst us would say that the Jubilee flood
> relief channel is causing higher river levels downstream of Windsor.
> But this might be just circumstantial.....
>

Circumstantial?

When there's excess rain, rapid run-off fills flood plains which can
safely hold several days-worth of high river flows, only slowly
releasing this into the river. Thus the flood plains smooth out what
otherwise would be excessive peaks in river flow.

If you then build over the flood plain, excess water can nolonger be
absorbed & pooled there. What took several days to drain out of the
flood plain now dumps into the river in a few hours.

This requires the river to carry much more, so it must run faster,
fuller & steeper. The Thames is pounded into stretches between sets of
sluices; each stretch has to get steeper & higher until, at a critical
flow, the sluices & banks are overflowed.

Cutting a porous bypass through the former flood plain only increases
the rate of drainage & thus the peak flow for the same river gradient
across that area. As the Atkins report confirms & any fool already
knows, this also raises the immediately downstream level since, by
increasing the flow, you increase the gradients in non-bypassed
downstream sections.

So, yes, the Jubilee river must increase downstream flooding.

When, at the post-flood meeting, I asked EA engineers where one should
start de-bottlenecking a river, they agreed that you should start well
down river & work upstream. They agreed that the Jubilee river was the
wrong place (too far up-river) to start a rational process of
de-bottlenecking & that the consequences were entirely predictable. At
that point our discussion was interrupted by their apparatchik manager,
to whom of course they had to defer.

There is, of course, a truly viable route for a mid-Thames flood relief
channel. Like the Jubilee river, it could follow the M4 motorway.
Unlike the Jubilee, it would flow right beside the M4, culverted if need
be, & join the route of the Grand Union Canal to re-enter the Thames at
Brentford.

Cheers -
Carl
--
Carl Douglas Racing Shells -
Fine Small-Boats/AeRoWing low-drag Riggers/Advanced Accessories
Write: The Boathouse, Timsway, Chertsey Lane, Staines TW18 3JY, UK
Email: [email protected] Tel: +44(0)1784-456344 Fax: -466550
URLs: www.carldouglas.co.uk (boats) & www.aerowing.co.uk (riggers)