15 Feb 2007 11:15:30
S M
Bedford Head (UK)

Many thanks to the organisers of Bedford Head. Great to see the
organisers responding to the changing conditions and balancing safety
with everyones desire to race. Just one question, anyone know what
happened with the St Annes (Oxford) time? Why were the original results
changed?

15 Feb 2007 22:30:37
Chris Kerr
Re: Bedford Head (UK)

S M wrote:

> Many thanks to the organisers of Bedford Head. Great to see the
> organisers responding to the changing conditions and balancing safety
> with everyones desire to race. Just one question, anyone know what
> happened with the St Annes (Oxford) time? Why were the original results
> changed?

I agree - the marshals were helpful, and I particularly liked the fast
posting of results (although perhaps that speed led to some sort of mistake
which explains the above question)

What I want to know is: where has all that extra water gone to? The water
level downstream in Ely is still fairly low, although admittedly it is
higher than it was last week.

15 Feb 2007 23:03:01
Jonathan Anderson
Re: Bedford Head (UK)

Chris Kerr wrote:
> What I want to know is: where has all that extra water gone to? The water
> level downstream in Ely is still fairly low, although admittedly it is
> higher than it was last week.

The stretch of water after Bottisham Lock leads all the way out to
Denver Sluice. So the extra water you see on the Cam upstream of the
lock will be spread over a far wider surface area (especially
considering the extra river width) and overall height rise is less.

Sounds plausible doesn't it?

Jon
--
Durge: [email protected] http://users.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: [email protected] http://www.rowing.org.uk/

[ All views expressed are personal unless otherwise stated ]

16 Feb 2007 01:56:20
[email protected]
Re: Bedford Head (UK)

On 15 Feb, 22:30, Chris Kerr <[email protected] > wrote:

> What I want to know is: where has all that extra water gone to? The water
> level downstream in Ely is still fairly low, although admittedly it is
> higher than it was last week.

but the Great Ouse has always been complicated due to the draining of
the fens. For example at Earith you lock up from the non-tidal Great
Ouse, which ceased to be tidal at Denver, onto another tidal part of
the river which connects up at Denver via the Hundred Foot Drain. I
imagine that all the water gets diverted down the tidal branch and the
lock at Earith is used to control the level in the non-tidal bit which
goes through Ely.

AFAIK the Great Ouse is the only river in the country which has two
tidal stretches with a non-tidal stretch in between.

16 Feb 2007 07:30:06
Will
Re: Bedford Head (UK)

On Feb 15, 11:15 am, S M <[email protected] > wrote:
> Many thanks to the organisers of Bedford Head. Great to see the
> organisers responding to the changing conditions and balancing safety
> with everyones desire to race. Just one question, anyone know what
> happened with the St Annes (Oxford) time? Why were the original results
> changed?

No results were changed at any point, and Time Penalties are not used
in Bedford.
There seems to be some confusion in the original source of this
(http://www.talkrowing.co.uk/talkrowing/index.php?showtopic=5013&st=45)